• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new Multiplayer trailer + previews, see threadmarks)

Not a fan of them being babies, but otherwise this looks perfect. Finally back to regular monkey ball gameplay, no gimmicks or weird stuff like that

Sega really beginning to fire on all cylinders again. This looks great, tickles my GameCube nostalgia funnybone something fierce.

Yeah, I’ll pick this up for sure, love this series so will support it. Will probably pick it up on Steam tho rather than Switch

EDIT: ahh it’s exclusive to Switch, cool, I shall buy it on that haha

So at $49.99 I assume they're planning a physical release for this one?

edit - Okay the Gematsu article in the OP confirms physical.

As someone who has only played Banana Mania and enjoyed it (despite not having finished it because the game requires Olympic levels of skills), I thought the new game looks pretty great, especially the multiplayer games. But I'm already expecting the SMB purists to rip the game apart lol

I might get it depending on reviews.

As someone who has only played Banana Mania and enjoyed it (despite not having finished it because the game requires Olympic levels of skills), I thought the new game looks pretty great, especially the multiplayer games. But I'm already expecting the SMB purists to rip the game apart lol

I might get it depending on reviews.
Absolutely. People got big mad about them adding a jump. I'm sure the spin dash will be similar.

Yessss hell yeah! New SMB felt like the conclusion after Banana Mania came out. This might be a day one.

Better than being locked to a subscription service as the original rumor was and I’m glad to see sega supporting Nintendo. Of course I’d prefer it be on every platform tho.
Aside from Sonic Dreams, has any SEGA game just stayed on Apple Arcade? I mean, I'm glad it's certainly not stuck there, but what are the odds it actually stays there forever?

Aside from Sonic Dreams, has any SEGA game just stayed on Apple Arcade? I mean, I'm glad it's certainly not stuck there, but what are the odds it actually stays there forever?
So far, chu chu rocket. Which was then delisted from arcade to make matters worse a couple years back.

Anyhow, I was speaking more to just launch though. I’m glad to be able to own this and play it day and date on Switch. I even have Apple Arcade and enjoyed Sonic Dream Team

This actually looks fun, but man do I miss the music style of the first 2 games. This series has been sounding so much more generic after SMB2.

This looks really good and more inline with the classic remake than banana blitz. Hope it turns out good.

A Spin Dash is a MUCH better game mechanic for these games than jumping in my opinion, I think it could lead to some fun stuff!!

A Nintendo exclusive Monkey Ball… it takes me back to the GCN days…

This looks cute! Excited for more Monkey Ball and hopefully this is closer in quality to the first two Monkey Ball games.

Likely to remain exclusive. Other consoles didn't get Samba de Amigo.
Hm I’m not sure that’s a fair assumption

Samba came to other platforms under other names, just not PS or Xbox probably due to the nature of the games controls.

The last two SMB did come to other consoles so I wouldn’t rule it out!

Hm I’m not sure that’s a fair assumption

Samba came to other platforms under other names, just not PS or Xbox probably due to the nature of the games controls.

The last two SMB did come to other consoles so I wouldn’t rule it out!
Direct didn't say "launching first on Switch" as they say most timed exclusives. Just "exclusive to Nintendo Switch". But yes, this is Sega. They might port this AND Samba de Amigo to other consoles eventually.

Direct didn't say "launching first on Switch" as they say most timed exclusives. Just "exclusive to Nintendo Switch". But yes, this is Sega. They might port this AND Samba de Amigo to other consoles eventually.
It's possible any future version will be some sort of "enhanced edition" since that seems to be a trend these days when moving "exclusive" games to other systems.

Absolutely. People got big mad about them adding a jump. I'm sure the spin dash will be similar.
Nope, people are fine with it from what I've seen. Jumping goes against the hardcore appeal of Monkey Ball. Something made to enable more skips using physics doesn't.

Super-Monkey-Ball-Banana-Mania-Yakuza-Crossover-1392x884.jpg

he gotta come back

Ok but for real I am SO hyped for this. Monkey Ball is one of my childhood series and I love it so dearly — even many of the entries that are usually considered the bad ones. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

A few thoughts:

-I’m not thrilled by the new artstyle, or look of the monkeys, or whatever you want to call it. It’s not terrible but I definitely prefer the look of Banana Mania’s characters, for example.

-I’m hesitant about the spin dash. It could end up being great, but one thing I love about Monkey Ball is its simplicity and I hope that stages don’t become designed around this new mechanic. I’d prefer if the stages are designed around NOT using the spin dash, but the spin dash can still be used to pull off epic shortcuts.

-Nintendo Switch exclusive… I’m not too surprised since I’m guessing BBHD and BM sold best on Switch (it seems like a series that would appeal foremost to Nintendo fans) but still a shame that it’ll be available to less people.

-HOLY SHIT local and online multiplayer in real time!!!!! When I was a kid, I would think about the possibility of racing through courses with friends, and now that dream is a reality! Woohoo!

-Speaking of online… does anyone know if they’ve confirmed online leaderboards? That’s become a major part of recent Monkey Ball games for me

-I’m so happy that we’re getting an original game and not another remake. BBHD was great for reviving the series and BM was even better for returning it to its roots, but it’s definitely time for an original entry. I’m so excited to roll through brand-new courses for the first time since 2012.

-I seem to recall BM’s director saying in an interview that he wanted to create a game where the monkeys travel across the world, and that seems to have come to life here. If you look at the various world environments, you’ll see each world takes inspiration from a real-world locale such as Rio de Janeiro. I’m glad this vision came to life; it seems like a great way to split the levels apart.

I think that’s all I have for now, other than PLEASE SEGA open preorders for the special edition 😭

Oh yeah, haven't seen anyone mention this here yet. The english version of the direct footage leaked a playable character. Seems like this game is not done with character reveals, just like Banana Mania.
GG4utt5XMAERnEn

DR BAD-BOON SWEEP!

Back
Top Bottom