• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Super Mario sunshine vs The Legend Of Zelda wind waker which game is better

Super Mario sunshine vs The Legend Of Zelda wind waker which game is better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
cover12.jpg

My first appearance as Toon Link is an absolute masterclass in art direction. I very much enjoyed my adventure with the King of Red Lions through The Great Sea. 10/10.

Wind Waker has style but no substance. It's the second worst 3D Zelda behind Skyward Sword. dungeons and exploration are all awful. And there is barely any challenge. It's a downgrade from the N64 entries in every sense of the word. The art style is the only thing that felt like an upgrade I guess. And I already did not care much for OOT and MM compared to TLOZ and ALTTP. So TWW was particularly disappointing.

Sunshine is mechanically one of the best games Nintendo has ever made. There are rough edges and some uneven mission design but the game is vastly superior to TWW, it isn't even funny. The core of it is so solid. (Just like SM64) I would put Sunshine as one of the most underappreciated games out there just because the fundamentals are so good. It's the best 3D Platformer of that generation even with some of its shortcomings.

Basically, if TWW wasn't rushed it would still be pretty mediocre. The two-cut dungeons wouldn't have fixed anything or made up for how most of the content in the game is bad.

If Sunshine wasn't rushed, a great game would end up being even better.

Last edited:
As someone that actually really likes Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker is much better. Wind Waker was my favorite game until Tears of the Kingdom came out. Sunshine would be like...Top 100 for me.

This. WW is still one of the best games of its generation. But Mario Sunshine? One of the weakest popular platformer of its generation.

Personally, I would play it over any 3D platformer that generation with only the original Jak and Daxter coming close. In fact, I would play Sunshine over any platformer during the 5th generation too, with the exception of Super Mario 64 and maybe the first two Crash games.

I can't underscore enough how nice it was playing a 3D platformer with good controls and core mechanics again.

I would love a new modern Zelda game (or just any new Nintendo adventure) that looks like Wind Waker.

They are both unfinished games that shouldn't have been released in that state.

That said, Wind Waker is, at worst, boring or underwhelming, Sunshine is, at worst, annoying or frustrating

I will stand by Sunshine, running/slipping/rocketing around Isle Delfino is more fun than anything WW has to offer, even with Sunshine's flaws.

Both were brilliant games. Wind Waker more brilliant.

Sunshine to this day has the most agile Mario, and the setting was a really fun change. Good variety of objectives, and really just the collectathon is an issue, but I enjoyed every minute of it and it's my equal favourite with 64 on 3D Marios. Galaxy was amazing at release but feels so limiting now, Odyssey has lots of stuff and some massive highs but is disjointed and the 100% endgame is even worse than blue coins.

Wind Waker on the other hand was absolute genius that just needed a little bit more work. But the core experience was such pure open adventure, and the story and progression and cutscene music was a whole new level for the franchise. Magic.

Wind waker was obviously flawed but still great. Sunshine I don't think I got to 20 shines before quitting. I just didn't enjoy the moment to moment gameplay much. Not really sure why. I don't think I even got to any of the infamously frustrating parts. Admittedly I did first play it in 2020 but I also first played 64 in 2020 and absolutely loved that getting all 120 stars in a week.

Poll is correct.

Also, Wind Waker is the best Zelda game on the Cube. That is an opinion I will stand by for the rest of my life.

Wind Waker, easily. Sunshine isn't terrible by any means, but it is my least favorite 3D Mario.

Everyday I regret that Sunshine is one of the few games I was able to turn off my brain and have fun to. My cred on fami can only get so much worse.

no idea how this is a question. It's Wind Waker. My favourite Zelda, and one of my GOAT. Thats not even including the HD version.

love sunshine though

Kind of weird comparison. Wind Waker is considered a great game.

So was Sunshine, I enjoyed it, but Sunshine had flaws.

Having not beaten Sunshine or played it significantly, I feel like I can't make this judgment, but I have started it a couple times in my life and repeatedly rented it when younger. As for Wind Waker, not only have I started it a couple times, I've beaten it every time I have.

Zelda is more my taste than Mario, yet I also 100%ed both Galaxy games and reached credits in every 3D Mario that followed.

So all my personal evidence suggests The Wind Waker > Sunshine. Maybe it's just been a case of "wrong place, wrong time" for Sunshine for me.

Wind Waker but both are good games that are nonetheless the worst of their respective series' 3D era.

They are both low tier games in their respective franchises and really disappointing compared to SM64 and OoT.
the gamecube was a holistic step down from n64, only vindicated by its new ideas like pikmin and first person metroid

While Wind Waker is rushed and has some issues in it's original release, it's at least very polished.
I can enjoy an unpolished game, I even like Sunshine, but nearly all of Sunshine's lack of polish just instantly kills you in a stupid way.

I love both games, but itโ€™s Wind Waker.

Even in general I feel Wind Wakerโ€™s reputation only improves with time while sunshine remains a black sheep.

Voted Sunshine even though I thought it was horrible and never finished it, but I played it more than Wind Waker. All I remember doing in that game is running around and throwing chickens. Probably deserved more.

Two games that I hope Nintendo returns to one day and heavily remakes so they live up to their promise.

even as the largest sunshine apologist ricco harbour sucks.

and so does noki bay.
I must be an even bigger apologist then because I like them

Wow thatโ€™s hard, I love them both equally. Theyโ€™re both unfinished games but also so fun and dear to me. Sunshine is the best Mario ever controlled and Wind Waker is just gorgeous. I donโ€™t buy the idea that games โ€œageโ€ but WW was definitely the first 3D game Iโ€™ve seen where itโ€™s looked great no matter what year it is.

Cant pick honestly

Back
Top Bottom