• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Super Mario RPG - Review Prediction Thread

What will be the final Metacritic score for Super Mario RPG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AK World

Rattata
Pronouns
He/him
SMRPG_Nintendo_Switch_Key_Art.jpg

What do you think Super Mario RPG's final metacritic score will be?

Here are the scores of previous Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games:

• Paper Mario (N64) - 93
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GC) - 87
  • Super Paper Mario (Wii) - 85
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) - 75
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U) - 76
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King (NSW) - 80

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - 90
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS) - 86
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) - 90
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS) - 81
  • Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS) - 76
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (3DS) - 81
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser's Jr.'s Journey (3DS) - 84
Metacritic says reviews will arrive around mid-week.

Last edited:
I'd compare it to the original but metacritic didn't exist back then lol. The original still holds up well so I imagine this will score high as well

88. Expecting combat additions to annoy some people or the realization that SMRPG is actually very short to remind reviewers so it won't rate higher than 90.

Best comparison I think is Link's Awakening. A remake of a classic 90s Nintendo game that's about 15 hours long. That got an 87 so I'll guess mid/high-80s.

Last edited:
I went with 85. I think those who like the original will obviously score this well but I think those who didn't play it may be a bit harsher.

I went with 85. I think those who like the original will obviously score this well but I think those who didn't play it may be a bit harsher.
As someone who discovered it very lately, being a european player (tried it a bit with emulation in the mid 2000s, but really played it fully for the first time with the Wii U virtual console, around 2016), it honestly still plays very nice, it doesn't feel ancient or anything, by then I had played all the other Mario RPG games and I thought that only TTYD and maybe M&L Bowser's Inside Story might be better than it.

But yeah around 85 feels about right.

The original was a 95 game to me and this is basically the same game but I expect it’ll be a fair bit lower since some people might be disappointed by the lack of improvements (even though I’m happy that it’s basically a recreation).

I originally was gonna say 80-84 saying reviewers were going to be highly critical of it since it's a highly regarded game that's a near 1:1 remake.

But I changed my mind. I'm settling on 90-94 because a lot of outlets and sites with rate it highly in a conspiracy to try to convince Nintendo this game is top notch prestige gaming so they can try to force Nintendo's hand into adding Geno into the next Super Smash Bros.

85-90 seems the sweet spot, though I could see it dip a little lower. Assuming the game is well made and faithful, the bones are strong enough that it should hold up well and be enjoyable, but it won't have that "wow" factor to push it over 90.

Low 80s. Even with this game being a nostalgic cult classic there's some parts of the game that will inevitably not stand the test of time. At the end of the day this is nearly a 1:1 enhancement of a Super NES game. Metroid Prime this is not.

Low 80s. Even with this game being a nostalgic cult classic there's some parts of the game that will inevitably not stand the test of time. At the end of the day this is nearly a 1:1 enhancement of a Super NES game. Metroid Prime this is not.
I feel like it's one of the best aged RPGS of that era tbh. Most of the frustrating parts are optional stuff to get the best gear

Low 80’s for me.

The combat gameplay itself is so boring and basic that I feel it’ll drag it down for some. But this is me personally (tho I’ve called this game Mediocre so I’m giving it a slight boost then what would rate it, but I’m in a minority of this).

But I could be wrong. I’ve often said that Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario series far outshine this game. RPG is carried by its charm and writing, which is sometimes more important to some then gameplay.

89 please, just give me this one. Please no more 90+ games, I still have nightmares of the 20 october slaughter

Honestly no idea where to start with a guess, so chucking in 85-89 based on absolutely nothing but the reverence I hear for the original title.
If this gets a 90 or above I’ll pick it up day 1. Otherwise it’s getting parked until I have a lot more time.

Old mechanics with barely any QoL improvements, performance problems (who cares), some weird people that will say that the snes game looks better.

Mid-80s. The original holds up great and the general vibe from trailers and press previews for this has been positive, but I can see the lack of much new content holding reviewers back from jumping on the 9 train.

I get the impression the Link's Awakening remake did more in terms of new features and QOL improvements, and even the Metacritic for that was 87 rather than 90-plus.

83, reviewers will find some parts outdated. Mario RPGs don't score high in general on review aggregate sites.

I'll go 87, just like Link's Awakening. Also, common sense dictates 9am ET or 12pm ET tomorrow for reviews, yeah?

I could see this potentially getting an 88 to 90. 91 at absolute most.

I know the SNES version got Wii Shop Channel Reviewed by IGN in 2008 and they gave it a glowing 9.5, but obviously it’s been fifteen years since then - so it’ll be interesting to see if people find more renewed grievances with the game, or if proves that a classic is always a classic.

I think high 80’s is rational, but previews of this game have been glowing enough that a 90, while unlikely, is possible

<<< A reason why I don't think this game is going to get as good of a review score as I once thought >>>
To be honest, it's not as good as I remember it being. It's worse than Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario. Painstakingly easy. You do way too much damage in this game. Most mobs are one shot.

Maybe like 83-84

Last edited:
I could see this potentially getting an 88 to 90. 91 at absolute most.

I know the SNES version got Wii Shop Channel Reviewed by IGN in 2008 and they gave it a glowing 9.5, but obviously it’s been fifteen years since then - so it’ll be interesting to see if people find more renewed grievances with the game, or if proves that a classic is always a classic.
Although, I think the Wii Shop version got reviewed as a legacy title and was only 800 Wii Points (equivalent to $8), while this is being sold for full price and will be reviewed as a new game.

Nah good pacing and briefness is considered a good thing for rpgs these days
have you seen this as reasoning for a short RPG's good score somewhere? genuinely wondering as i feel like people bring up the "is it worth the ticket price" criteria a lot these days.
See, Mario wonder was short and the game got in the 90’s
well, that was a 2D platformer, a little different.

I’m pretty good at guessing Metacritic scores until it comes to Nintendo games. I’ll say high 80s!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom