• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Super Mario Party vs Mario Party Superstars. Which one should I buy?

Pronouns
He, him
So. I'm visiting my brother this holidays and I want to gift a Mario Party game to my two young nieces (10 and 13) and play a bit with them. Which one of the two would be better for such scenario?

That scenario doesn't really give any indication of which game will be better. Super Mario Party has to be played with joycons, but if you're lacking controllers a single joycon can be used for each person.

I personally prefer Superstars. Better maps and mini game selection.

If you like the best of the old mini games from Mario Party past and think they'll like it too, Superstars is a no-brainer.
Plus, this review from Polygon says it all:
When playing with my nephews, on the other hand, Superstars became more of an exciting historical artifact. When the screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version of our board flashed across the screen, one of the twins was immediately drawn in, prompting a conversation about what it was like to play on the Nintendo 64 all the way back in 1998.

For me, Mario Party Superstars is a remake from when I was their age. But to my nephews, this was an educational experience — a look back at boards and mini-games that were old and clunky by the time they could hold a controller. It’s odd to say a Mario Party is educational, but I was able to share some of my favorite childhood memories with my nephews because of this game — like when your parents drive you by the apartments they lived in before you were born, except less boring.

Super Mario Party works better for my family, which don't play games.
Especially the boat trip is enjoyed. The boards games less.

Superstars. Super Mario Party was fine until the “new” game dropped. No looking back now.

My family prefers Super Mario Party. The mini games are fresher and partner party (and the other game modes) are more enjoyable than the standard roll and move.

If you’re married to old-fashioned Mario Party or can’t use detached joycons, however, Superstars is the way to go.

Superstars because you don't need 4 joycons to play. Super is fine but the minigames get old really fast (and there's just less of them in general)

superstars is better focused, super has more variety but at the cost of the board game mode and total minigames

Superstars. Super Mario Party not supporting any controllers besides Joy-Cons makes it the weaker entry.

Meat Cubes is the best Mario Party minigame, so I'll say Super Mario Party... even though Mario Party Superstars is better :p

Meat Cubes is the best Mario Party minigame, so I'll say Super Mario Party... even though Mario Party Superstars is better :p
Seconding. Super Mario Party as a whole is fairly weak all around to any lightly seasoned veteran of the series, but that one minigame is probably it's finest saving grace.

I’d rather say SMP is more in line with modern sensibilities and modern children. Just be aware that each player needs a joycon.
Wording it that way makes it sound like not everyone needs a controller in Superstars, which they do. I would just make it clear that SMP doesn't support anything but individual Joy-Cons, while SS supports all standard Switch controllers.

Back
Top Bottom