• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Super Mario Party Jamboree announced, coming October 17

I feel like Nintendo finally figured out how to make Mario Party fun. They got rid of car gimmicks and other silly stuff. They went back to basics and doubled down on good boards and minigames. I'm glad that we have the option to play with both motion controls and button controls. Nintendo can keep going with both the Super and Superstars lines going forward.

Haven't played a Mario Party game in well over a decade, but this looks great. Online Modes with more than 4 players should expand the scope beyond the local multi.

Also shocked it took them this long to start bringing more maps from the past, similar to Mario Kart

I do like that ndcube seems to be experimenting with multiplayer stuff since they updated it into super mario party.

I feel like they're finally scaling up Mario Party budget now that the series has had a 10+ and even a 20+ million seller on the Switch.

This looks too substantial to be replaced in a year or two so I assume this fill in the role of Switch 2's Mario Party at least until 2027

Is this the first game in the series to include a combination of both new and old boards?

Is this the first game in the series to include a combination of both new and old boards?

I think so.

It's funny though because my only gripe with Superstars was the amount of boards and the two they could've added as DLC are in this new game lol.

Oh man I’m super excited for this one. I’ve been playing the old ones again on NSO recently conveniently enough.

In addition to the 21 characters, I can see Hammer Bro, Dry Bones, Blooper, Diddy Kong & Pom Pom returning. Also would be shocked if Pauline was not added. Overall, I think there will be at least 30 characters.

Woo! Here's to hoping there are only a few motion control mini games. I'd hate to disable a significant proportion.
Yeah not sure about that one sadly.

heres the quote from the German e shop

Mini-games with motion controls require a Joy-Con controller and are not available in online mode. Mini-games with motion controls are not compatible with the Nintendo Switch Lite or the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, but mini-games with button controls can also be played using the aforementioned consoles/accessories.

I can’t see it being a significant proportion if you can’t use it on the switch lite or online but who knows.

In addition to the 21 characters, I can see Hammer Bro, Dry Bones, Blooper, Diddy Kong & Pom Pom returning. Also would be shocked if Pauline was not added. Overall, I think there will be at least 30 characters.
Unlockables are already confirmed, Ninji shows up in the online and normal segments despite not being in the intro. So that’s 22

Unlockables are already confirmed, Ninji shows up in the online and normal segments despite not being in the intro. So that’s 22
Yes Ninji is unlockable, but they showed off 21 characters including Ninji, so assuming none of the others shown off are unlockable, that's 20 starters and 1 unlockable that were shown off today.

Yes Ninji is unlockable, but they showed off 21 characters including Ninji, so assuming none of the others shown off are unlockable, that's 20 starters and 1 unlockable that were shown off today.
Your right I miscounted XD

So is this going to play like the classic MP games and Superstars, or is this mechanically similar to Super Mario Party?
So far this looks more in line with classic Mario Party, with each boards having a unique gimmick for traversal.

Its called Super Jamboree (terrible title, should have just been jamboree by itself)... but may have optional motion controls, bigger more interesting boards (presumably not the 1-6 dice again?), and seems to have rebalanced the coin economy. That's pretty good. But what confusing branding. Heck the art style looked a little more tipping stars to me than super as well. Going forward will super just mean lots of characters?, maybe the custom dice blocks return? (hopefully more balanced).

Anyway I more or less got what I wanted. More Mario party, no weird design choices. And what looks like a lot of content. Happy days.

I watched the trailer again and I did not see the ally space which I'm happy about. I think I noticed a new space on 2 or 3 of the boards but I have zero idea what it can do. I noticed it on the Rainbow Castle and the mall. Maybe on Goomba Lagoon as well but it was too hard to see.

Now I wait to be proven that I'm blinder than I thought lmao.

I watched the trailer again and I did not see the ally space which I'm happy about. I think I noticed a new space on 2 or 3 of the boards but I have zero idea what it can do. I noticed it on the Rainbow Castle and the mall. Maybe on Goomba Lagoon as well but it was too hard to see.

Now I wait to be proven that I'm blinder than I thought lmao.
It seems to be Super only in name. Everything I’ve seen points towards this just being the same general mechanics as Superstars, plus whatever each board brings to the table.

It seems to be Super only in name. Everything I’ve seen points towards this just being the same general mechanics as Superstars, plus whatever each board brings to the table.
I do think the economy will be a bit inflated and luck will outweigh skill BUT probably not to such the scale as the original tbh. Stars are 20, hopefully items costs more, and the rewards for the lucky spaces aren't too crazy.

It actually has motion control minigames and a larger character roster, both of which Superstars lacked, so there’s that at least.

I do wish there was more Super Mario Party in Jamboree, though…

It actually has motion control minigames and a larger character roster, both of which Superstars lacked, so there’s that at least.

I do wish there was more Super Mario Party in Jamboree, though…
Fair point, should’ve clarified that I was referring to the general board rules proper.

The Super influence seems to mostly stem from the various side modes they’re throwing in.

I'm incredibly happy that this is pulling from Superstars over Super in terms of mechanics and board design; it's just the better game in those areas especially. They could've tried to get partners or character specific dice to fit into the classic formula but I don't mind that they didn't, or that the motion control minigames are entirely optional and not available online (makes sense to not alienate handheld players from lobbies).

Classic boards (and presumably minigames) being mixed in with new content is a move that makes sense; Mario Kart did it so long ago and Mario Party definitely has the history for it (just please move onto GC boards sometime soon). Character roster is promising too, Japanese site says "over 20" and we see exactly 20 in the opening cutscene, plus Ninji who is presumably unlockable. I'd guess most if not all of the four still missing from Super (Diddy, Dry Bones, Hammer Bro and Pom Pom) are in at least, and Pauline is overdue as a newcomer.

What's both exciting and terrifying though is the return of Hexes from Mario Party DS, something I was personally hoping for! The extra layer of strategy you got with Orbs in the GameCube games are what I missed most in Superstars, and this should give us exactly that. We'll have to see which they include this time though, and if they’ve changed anything about how they work, because they're infamous for a reason.

kPkNoaA.png

Last edited:
So freaking excited for this! Looks like classic Mario Party even more than Super Mario Party. Finally have more boards and they gave use Western World remake!

Hyped for this, it looked fantastic. One thing I'm particularly looking forward to, is hearing how they modernise the beautiful Yasunori Mitsuda-composed melody from the Mario's Rainbow Castle board from the original Mario Party.

They could've tried to get partners or character specific dice to fit into the classic formula but I don't mind that they didn't
Character specific dice and partners made the game slower and more confusing to play for casual friends, so I'm personally glad they're gone.

Super Mario Party is so slow. I really need this one!

Before the Switch era how many boards did you get per game on average? They made a point of saying it's the biggest Mario Party yet which is clear in terms of modes and minigames but I wonder for the boards too.

Before the Switch era how many boards did you get per game on average? They made a point of saying it's the biggest Mario Party yet which is clear in terms of modes and minigames but I wonder for the boards too.

Six boards was standard for most games in the traditional style (2-4 and 6-8 have that many). Super had four, DS and Superstars have five, 5 has seven (which this is now tied with) and the original had eight.

I’m more than fine with seven boards personally, I was hoping they’d at least get back to six so this is above expectations if anything; but there’s a reason the official descriptions point out that this is a record high number of playable characters and minigames, but can’t say that for boards.

Six boards was standard for most games in the traditional style (2-4 and 6-8 have that many). Super had four, DS and Superstars have five, 5 has seven (which this is now tied with) and the original had eight.

I’m more than fine with seven boards personally, I was hoping they’d at least get back to six so this is above expectations if anything; but there’s a reason the official descriptions point out that this is a record high number of playable characters and minigames, but can’t say that for boards.
I wonder if there's any chance of unlockable boards to push Jamboree into the all-time high board count

(or imagine if this being so late in the Switch's life means NDcube actually supports it with DLC/updates to keep it going cross-gen)

I am genuinely very excited for this. It's nice to see another Mario Party on Switch and from first impressions, looks really damn good and jam packed with content.

How did Mario Party get a god tier song with Rainbow Road is will. It’s so damn good
It was my favorite hoard as a kid. I’m currently replaying the first Mario party on the side lately. But now I’m in full Mario party hype mode so I’ll play all three since I never played 2 or 3.

I have 76 out of 100 stars so far in Mario party 1.

So is this going to play like the classic MP games and Superstars, or is this mechanically similar to Super Mario Party?
All currently available information points more to this being a Superstars 2, if anything.

There is evidence to believe that Stars are normally 20 coins, as a 10-coin purchase is made when they show the half price gimmick on the mall stage.

Dice are probably 10 as well, since you roll four of them in the car stage and the maximum is 40.

Old and new items appear to be in. Boo Bell and Skeleton Key on the cover, along with a new shell item.

I feel like Nintendo finally figured out how to make Mario Party fun. They got rid of car gimmicks and other silly stuff. They went back to basics and doubled down on good boards and minigames. I'm glad that we have the option to play with both motion controls and button controls. Nintendo can keep going with both the Super and Superstars lines going forward.

“Super” Mario Party likely isn’t a line of entries but rather simply a marketing term for original entries in the series since Super sold well.

The only similarities this game seems to have with Super is the big character roster and some motion controlled minigames, although these minigames seem to be optional unlike Super as the game supports Pro Controllers & Switch Lite

It's been a while since I jumped out the Mario Party train, but this one almost made me want to go back.

If friends dropping by my house to play games were common, I'd absolutely jump in. I need online boards, Nintendo.
Online support for boards was added to Super Mario Party in the first half of 2021, though it was friends only. Mario Party Superstars supports playing online boards with randoms as well.

looks like you can opt out of motion controls and still play the game normally with the lite and pro controller. Also online games won't have motion controlled minigames as well which is interesting.

To be clear, it gets rid of those minigames from the pool of options instead of offering button control support for them.

Not sure why they're not available online though, Super Mario Party handled this fine.

I hope they’ll still have the classic bonuses for Mini Games, most coins at one time and landing on the most “!” spaces

To be clear, it gets rid of those minigames from the pool of options instead of offering button control support for them.

Not sure why they're not available online though, Super Mario Party handled this fine.
I have a feeling its because when you play online, you never know if you will run into someone with a switch lite, that really can't do motion control. and while they can make separate lobbies for that, it is probably be easier to not separate everyone. Especially since its not every game that is motion control. They did say some, so maybe its only a handful of games.

Back
Top Bottom