• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Super Mario movie seemingly delayed to holiday 2023 (UPDATE: false alarm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit
Illumination Studios Paris has recently updated their official website page for the upcoming Super Mario movie, and this has led to a few interesting details popping up. First of all, the title of the film is listed as “Super Mario Bros. Animated Film”, which means “Super Mario Bros.” is likely just a working title. More interestingly though is the given release date.

While the date on the left lists Holiday 2022, an outdated release date that was changed to April 2023 a few months ago, the right side lists a new date of “holiday 2023”, possibly indicating that the movie has once again been delayed, this time from its previously mentioned April 2023 release.

the page shows this, which has dates for both holiday 2022 (the date before the first delay) and holiday 2023 so who knows, maybe it's an error

screenshot2022-09-07occ04.jpeg

Christmas is all a good time to release a movie like this so I wouldn’t exactly be surprised. They could release the film and then tie it into

• New Mario game launch
  • New Switch console launch (bundle with Mario game?)
  • Super Nintendo World opening in Florida
  • All the toys and other merch they’ll want to sell as Christmas presents

I hope it's an error or a placeholder value! The delay would be really long at that point, when by the time this was announced, the year was already far away. Either way, the release of the film might probably be the time when Nintendo might release the game to line up with it, so if there's a delay, so might the game be.

If there is a delay, I wonder if they will reveal something for the audience before it happened. It's after all close to one year since Nintendo revealed some of the film's details (which is bizarrely the voice cast).

Thank you for reading.

Well there it is (Jurassic Park meme guy). Drake delayed to holiday 2023 to coincide with Mario movie and new Mario game 🧐😐

jk

I think it was a quick fix accident on their part. The page previously had the title of the film as just ‘Super Mario Bros.’ with the old release date of 2022 in text as well as on the poster; as reported a day or two ago.

Seems they’ve simply added ‘Animated Film’ to the end of the title to imply it is a working title, and changed the year without also altering the Holiday part.

A good thing I guess. The holiday season is an ideal time, especially for a film targeted at families.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it got delayed. The Easter weekend release date is a good one, and at this point they’re only really up against a horror movie, but Illumination has really consistently liked releasing films in A) the 4th of July slot and B) the pre-Christmas slot, and they don’t have a movie in the 4th of July slot in 2023. And their holiday movie is a new IP (read: not as much a priority). I could see Mario moving to either slot.

But I could also see it keeping the Easter slot, if it’s ready. Like I said, it’s a good slot, without much in the way of competition. And the previous animated film looks like it’s going to be Harry and the Purple Crayon in January, so they’ll be an appetite for a new toon in April. We’ll know soon enough, I suspect.

Last edited:
Christmas is all a good time to release a movie like this so I wouldn’t exactly be surprised. They could release the film and then tie it into

• New Mario game launch
  • New Switch console launch (bundle with Mario game?)
  • Super Nintendo World opening in Florida
  • All the toys and other merch they’ll want to sell as Christmas presents
Super Nintendo World isn’t opening in Florida until 2025.

Super Nintendo World Hollywood is opening in “early” 2023…so right around the movie’s current release date.

And a new Super Mario game could just as easily be coming out in the first third of next year for all we know at this point.

The current release dates for the movie are Easter weekend in NA and Golden Week in Japan. That seems pretty close to ideal, all things considered.

There’s two reasons this could be happening:

- This is a strategic move for things like Box Office revenue, merch tie-ins, etc.

- Something is wrong and the film needs more time

Hoping it’s the former but definitely scared of the latter being a real possibility.

"ONE OF THE WORLD'S LEADING ANIMATION STUDIO"

They can't even get the grammar correct on their home page so...

Good, keep it out of my September direct

EDIT: False alarm, brace for Chris Pratt coolness

Title should be changed that it was an error. Glad that it is false alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom