• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Super Mario Bros. (1993) |ST| This Ain't No Game

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
(EDIT: This thread was a part of Famiboard's 2023 April Fool's Day Event, "Segaboards" and was posted as a bait and switch for the 2023 Super Mario Bros. Movie, which will release a few days' time from this edit. It is preserved here for posterity. Please enjoy!)

SMB93STHeader.png

Welcome to the Segaboards Star Topic for the Super Mario Bros. movie! I know we've all been excited for this, so I've collected the below information to help us discuss the film. Please join us in our excitement for this bold screen adaptation of one of gaming's most famous and beloved franchises!

Press Release

SUPER MARIO BROS. opens nationwide on Friday, May 28.

When a beautiful university paleontologist named Daisy (Samantha Mathis) calls for help at a flooded excavation site, two of Brooklyn's hardest-working plumbers: Mario (Bob Hoskins) and Luigi (John Leguizamo) answer the call, only to be pulled through a mysterious portal into an incredible reptile dimension known as Dinohattan. Created eons ago when a giant meteorite crashed to Earth and ripped the dinosaurs' domain from our own, this fantastic parallel plane of action has thus far remained hidden. Now, their water supply is rapidly running out and the reptile inhabitants are doomed to extinction unless their diabolical leader, Koopa (Dennis Hopper), can get hold of a mysterious meteorite pendant that Daisy wears around her neck, and use its unique properties to merge his world with ours. Inspired by the phenomenal worldwide popularity of the Super Mario Bros. video games based on characters created by Nintendo, our unlikely superheroes, Mario and Luigi, must battle eight-foot-tall Goombas, deadly fireballs, a crazed lizard king and the ultimate penalty of de-evolution, in order to save a princess, a pendant, and life as we know it on this planet. Hollywood Pictures presents the exciting new live-action comedy adventure "Super Mario Bros." A Lightmotive/Allied Filmmakers presentation in association with Cinergi Productions.

The running time of Hollywood Pictures' SUPER MARIO BROS. is 104 minutes. The film is rated PG.

Characters

Pictured: our 3 main characters, from left to right; Luigi (John Leguizamo), Mario (Bob Hoskins) and Daisy (Samantha Mathis)
Super-Mario-Bros.-1993.png

Other Characters (Source: Theatrical Promotion Guide)
promoGuide_03.jpg

Reviews

The Austin Chronicle
With a good cast, great special effects and a Blade Runnerish set, the directors (Max Headroom's Morton and Jankel) apparently thought no one would notice the absence of a decent script. (And, unlike me, the 12-year-olds who packed the house didn't.) Morton and Jankel, who are also famous for their award-winning commercials for giant clients like Coca-Cola, IBM and GM have crafted a big, glossy, feature length advertisement. Loud, frenetic and facile, Super Mario Bros. is full of noisy sound and cartoon fury, signifying… a sequel.

Charlotte Observer
Let's make a deal. I'll go on one of those centrifugal-force rides, the kind where the bottom drops out and you're pinned against the frame of a whirling metal cage, for 97 minutes. You attend "Super Mario Bros." Then we'll see who has the blurriest vision and the loudest ringing in his ears.

Bombs explode, cars careen and crash, people leap from dimension to dimension in this blaring, glaring picture, based very loosely on the famous video game. Kids might get a charge out of the mayhem. I got the vapors.

Promotional material

SMB-Movie_2D00_610.jpg

37186c18-f58e-49a1-aa17-25ca1da19829.jpg

smb_app_poster.png

Official Trailers

More information can be found here: (Seriously, this is an amazing archive and should be checked out!)

Last edited:
The 93 movie is so cool and interesting and weird and its actors and set design and world and visual effects are so cool and its all COOL

I watched it with some friends a couple weeks ago, and it's unironically a fun movie.

Oh, so this is where the Nintendo discussion is. Haha, very funny. Soon as I get out of this weird alternate Sega dimension I seem to be trapped in, I'll have to figure out what got me here in the first place. Maybe a secret Warp. Least the people here aren't dinosaurs!

I haven't seen this film since I was a child. It was on TV a decent amount of the time. I remember the final sequence, I remember my sister really liking Yoshi in the movie, and that's about it beyond getting second hand coverage through reviews or videos about the project.

It's such a fascinating little thing. A glimpse into a wild take on the material that's as far away from the source in terms of style and tone as you could imagine. It's neat seeing traditional elements and references being woven in, and on its own merits it has a creative artistic direction and literally revolutionary digital effects work. I wonder how the actual film's script and such hold up, though.

Really looking forward to this one! Finally, Super Mario on the big screen!

I actually had the opportunity to see this one on the big screen last year at a local theatre! Bob Hoskins really was inspired casing for live action Mario; the same way I feel about Charlie Day as Luigi for Illumination's film. The set design is also legitimately impressive; almost feels wrong for such intricate work to be in Super Mario Bros. of all things.

I don't know if i'd consider it a great movie, but it is a fun watch with company.

I have this one on the shelf with all my Criterion Collection blu-rays, right where it belongs. It's right in between Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Paths of Glory, two movies equally as well crafted and renowned.

Back
Top Bottom