• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Super Mario 64 has now been beaten with zero A button presses

I just woke up and completely missed the “A” in the title and was incredibly confused and bewilde that the game was beaten without button presses for a solid minute.

Am I misremembering or has this been theoretically possible, "TAS"able, for some time now?

This is the first human to do it, right? Or is there an A press in Bowser in the Sky I forgot about.

Am I misremembering or has this been theoretically possible, "TAS"able, for some time now?

This is the first human to do it, right? Or is there an A press in Bowser in the Sky I forgot about.
Yeah, the routing on this has been solved for some time now. This is just the first time a human has done it, which is still pretty neat. I haven't checked this run yet, but I'd imagine the bulk of time is spent waiting multiple days in Fire Sea.

I don't think there is any other game that has received such dedication by the players in so many ways as Super Mario 64.

Most speedrunned game ever and every speedrun up to today seems to be based on deep calculations about invisible walls, parallel universes, negative acceleration, invisible state enemy positions and all the crazy sh-t you can not even start to comprehend.

Most speedrunned game ever and every speedrun up to today seems to be based on deep calculations about invisible walls, parallel universes, negative acceleration, invisible state enemy positions and all the crazy sh-t you can not even start to comprehend.
Gonna springboard off this a bit. I just want to say, it's actually not all that complicated. As far as RTA runs actually go, the runners are extremely skilled with their movement and execution, but they aren't really engaging with anything too out there. You could learn the theory behind most of the tricks relatively quickly, like 0/1/16 star don't get much more complicated than LBLJ/SBLJ. Those tricks basically just involve learning how to build up and redirect speed. Speed is mostly used to clip/bypass through things due to the way movement and collision just work in video games. There's some more nuance to that, but it's just a grab bag of pretty straightforward rules you could learn quickly. Execution is the hard part.

A Press Challenge stuff can get really crazy as far as the lengths people go to in order to investigate the parts of the game they exploit. I don't want to like, diminish the insane amounts of work and lengths people have gone to. It just seems a lot more wild and scary than it is when Pannen is blitzing through it like a crash course college seminar. If you break it down and fiddle with it yourself, you'll find it's more approachable and "solvable" than it might seem. It's actually quite fun, because you're mostly learning how games are built while coming at it from the player facing side.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay the work and achievements people have put into this. If anything I'm saying that looking at the way people have broken M64 down is a surprisingly fun and easy way to start thinking about how games are built. Really cool thing that community has built which is really approachable and valuable.

Massive achievement. But the fact that it’s only possible on Wii VC kinda takes away from the magic just a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom