• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Sunsoft Oopsie: "Sunsoft is Back! Retro Game Selection" Leaked via Sunsoft Stream

I noticed this and compiled some theories for an article on my website due to noticing the discovery while watching pre-release Ufouria 2 streams, but Sunsoft accidentally showed on their switch home menu the icon for an unannounced collection that makes me intrigued.

img_0172.png.jpeg

A retro game selection? With the Famicom color scheme on the sides? I'm wondering if this is the campfire thing they did with Madoola/Ripple Island/Tokaido in it, but I'm hoping it's more than that... Would love to see Ufouria and such ported to modern consoles.

What do you guys think this'll have? I think Sunsoft noted a stream was coming in March sometime so I'm guessing that'll be the full reveal (please do not be LRG Carbon Engine...)

What do you guys think this'll have? I think Sunsoft noted a stream was coming in March sometime so I'm guessing that'll be the full reveal (please do not be LRG Carbon Engine...)
I’m not too familiar with Sunsoft’s output. Maybe Blaster Master? I already bought Trip World DX on Game Boy Color from Limited Run Games which arrived earlier this month.

What’s wrong with Carbon Engine?

You won’t believe what they’re doing
oh believe me I'm hyped; also for Sunsoft Vol 2 on Evercade, which includes Ufouria NES! But I'd love it on xbox and switch too...

I’m not too familiar with Sunsoft’s output. Maybe Blaster Master? I already bought Trip World DX on Game Boy Color from Limited Run Games which arrived earlier this month.

What’s wrong with Carbon Engine?

Eh, for me carbon engine just feels very sloppy and the bad saving system in boy and his blob/bill and ted are not at all a good replacement for save states and other proper emulation features (Boy/Blob also had broken NES sample emulation). I don't own TWDX but that seems to have a similar, stupid "Save and Quit" save state system. It does have rewind though, and the game is short enough I can see it not being a big problem there. But i'd hate to reload a save state in say, Battle Formula a bajillion times by exiting the game and going back in again, so unless LRG's wrapper improves I'd much rather they give it to the guys who did the Gimmick Special Edition, that turned out pretty well IMO

Eh, for me carbon engine just feels very sloppy and the bad saving system in boy and his blob/bill and ted are not at all a good replacement for save states and other proper emulation features (Boy/Blob also had broken NES sample emulation). I don't own TWDX but that seems to have a similar, stupid "Save and Quit" save state system. It does have rewind though, and the game is short enough I can see it not being a big problem there. But i'd hate to reload a save state in say, Battle Formula a bajillion times by exiting the game and going back in again, so unless LRG's wrapper improves I'd much rather they give it to the guys who did the Gimmick Special Edition, that turned out pretty well IMO
Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation. I typically only buy Game Boy cartridges from Limited Run Games so I’m not familiar with the Carbon Engine ports. That’s a shame though. Hopefully, it can keep updating the engine to add more features.

Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore is published by Limited Run Games so I’ll have to make peace with that.

I wish Warner Bros would work with Sunsoft to release a classic collection.

Back in the day, Sunsoft made games based on Batman, Superman and Looney Tunes.
Don't forget Gremlins 2 which was great!

Give me Aero the Acro-Bat collection please, Sunsoft! They were surprisingly a big part of my childhood, mostly due to low price (half of what 1st party games cost)

On second though, I'd rather have full remakes of those games, preferably in hand drawn 2D art.

Give me Aero the Acro-Bat collection please, Sunsoft! They were surprisingly a big part of my childhood, mostly due to low price (half of what 1st party games cost)

On second though, I'd rather have full remakes of those games, preferably in hand drawn 2D art.
And have Retro Studios develop it! (If ya know, ya know)

And have Retro Studios develop it! (If ya know, ya know)
Kinda mind blowing to think Aero, Turok and Forsaken are done by same studio, what was the predecessor to Retro Studios.

But it seems, i won't get my wish, the IP right now might belong to Activision and in turn to Microsoft. I don't think Activision is even aware they do.

There aren’t a ton of nes games that are fun for me to go back to personally, but that’s on a short list of mine that consists pretty much entirely of Mario games and castlevania games.
I pray so hard for Konami to get someone to remaster castlevania 1,2&3 those are goat nes experiences.
Yes that’s right..even castlevania 2 😅

Would be cool if the older Blaster Master titles are in this and it gets a physical release (yes I'm aware a couple of them are on NSO).

I'm a little bummed they didn't work out a deal with Nintendo to get games on NSO because I would have loved this game on N64 NSO

If it's a standalone release there's no guarantee it'll even work with the N64 controller unless they support it

mao3J9m.jpeg

but hype !

edit: read the article, looks to be a compilation of JP-only Famicom games, which is nice. Doesn't seem like a blowout of their whole catalog which I assumed at first!

I'm a little bummed they didn't work out a deal with Nintendo to get games on NSO because I would have loved this game on N64 NSO

If it's a standalone release there's no guarantee it'll even work with the N64 controller unless they support it

mao3J9m.jpeg

but hype !

edit: read the article, looks to be a compilation of JP-only Famicom games, which is nice. Doesn't seem like a blowout of their whole catalog which I assumed at first!

Chameleon Twist is Japan System Supply and Sunsoft doesn’t own em at all, so unfortunately that’s unlikely to happen.

And yeah in that article I do speculate it’s famicom related because they did crowdfund ports for 3 famicom games last year + the icon has the famicom color scheme around its border… so I’m curious what it includes

Chameleon Twist is Japan System Supply and Sunsoft doesn’t own em at all, so unfortunately that’s unlikely to happen.

And yeah in that article I do speculate it’s famicom related because they did crowdfund ports for 3 famicom games last year + the icon has the famicom color scheme around its border… so I’m curious what it includes

Wow, they didn't make very many games, I wonder who holds the rights to the games they released or if they're just floating in space now?

there’s a Steam page for this, and it’s indeed the three games (“Wings of Madura,” “53 Stations of the Tokaido,” and “Ripple Island.”) you’d expect.

but…..
English language not supported
This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing.
there’s a chance an English patch will come later, but I have my doubts.

mao3J9m.jpeg

but hype !

Considering Blaster Master is on NSO, I'm sure Sunsoft would be willing to make an agreement so long as nintendo is willing to pay licensing fees.

this is officially launching (still in Japanese only) on April 18th.
but sunsoft has confirmed that plans are in place to make an English localization at some point in the future..
対応言語  :日本語 ※英語は近日対応予定

Back
Top Bottom