• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Suikoden I&II HD Remaster announced, coming to PC and consoles in 2023 (UPDATE: delayed, see threadmarks)

I played Suikoden recently and the first game has held up surprisingly well considering how little it's talked about. Very good time with it. I've only heard amazing things about the second game so I'm looking forward to playing that soon.

As for these remasters, I'm not a huge fan of how they look. I think the new portraits are nice, at least. Not really a big fan of the new look for most other things, though. And I'm not typically one to think HD remasters look bad because they changed the way old pixel games look.

About time these have gotten a rerelease though. Crazy how unavailable this series has been and how long it's taken for this to happen.

Yes!!! OMG yes!

I wonder if they'll remaster them all, this looks great and playing Suikoden III & V in HD would just be icing on the cake!

Last edited:
Well, this is unexpected. Great stuff!

one of those series i've always been sort of interested in but never played back in the day and it just looks too old graphically for me to get into now

the screens look nice i'll probably get this when it comes out

Wow, can’t wait, two of my favourite RPGs.

I wonder if they’ll tinker with the large-scale battle elements a little? I always felt they could be developed a bit.

This is a dope announcement, definitely grabbing this when it releases.

Hopefully we get a remaster of V as well one day.

Fantastic, while Suikoden 1 is a good-great game, Suikoden 2 is a masterpiece that everyone should play ideally after finishing Suikoden 1. Now there will be an easy way to recommend both to people.

Also thank goodness for no forced Vaseline filter, Square Enix please take notes.

The Direct would have been MUCH better if this and Infinity Strash were also in it.

Also, you know the drill. Buy this enough so we'll get 3-4-5 in HD too (though I thought great sales of GBA CV's would warrant PS2 CV's...).

The Direct would have been MUCH better if this and Infinity Strash were also in it.

Also, you know the drill. Buy this enough so we'll get 3-4-5 in HD too (though I thought great sales of GBA CV's would warrant PS2 CV's...).
I think Konami wants Metal Gear to be their first return to the PS2 generation

Was hoping for the recent Suikoden leak to be remasters of at least the fist two games, and voila, here we are! :giggle:

It looks spectacular. :D

What an age we live in with all these refined remasters of our beloved titles.

Great news! If you haven't played either game, I totally recommend them both. 1 is good but 2 is a top 10 all timer for its genre.

Good luck 100%ing the games without a guide though.

As for these remasters, I'm not a huge fan of how they look. I think the new portraits are nice, at least. Not really a big fan of the new look for most other things, though. And I'm not typically one to think HD remasters look bad because they changed the way old pixel games look.

About time these have gotten a rerelease though. Crazy how unavailable this series has been and how long it's taken for this to happen.
Well said!

So happy people are going to be able to play these outside of emulation again.

The character pixel art looks great, as it should, because they seem to be unchanged.

The backgrounds though…

The character pixel art looks great, as it should, because they seem to be unchanged.

The backgrounds though…
The backgrounds are on par I think with what's been done with the Romancing SaGa remasters though? It does give it a bit of an RPGMaker vibe unfortunately in both cases though.

Having never played these games I think everything here looks great; I can't wait to give these games a try next year!

Great news! If you haven't played either game, I totally recommend them both. 1 is good but 2 is a top 10 all timer for its genre.

Good luck 100%ing the games without a guide though.
Suikoden would really benefit from some kind of "Bomber's Notebook". At item that alerts you when recruitable character become available and keeps track of their quest if applicable.

Common Konami W. When they actually decide to release games it’s these convinient remaster collections, Sega could learn from them

I didn’t get around getting those on PSN back then because other PS1 games had priority. On top of that, they weirdly went up in price. They will be a good fit for Switch handheld mode anyway, I always thought they looked like late SNES games too

Huge RPG maker vibes... Yet still, remaster, cool and all. I fel like by the end of switches lifetime you will be able to play 90% of all big RPGs from up to PS1...and maybe even PS2 if square and bandai step up their game.

Even more so than with Tactics Ogre Reborn, I'd rather take a release with the original art. The redrawn sprites never look right with how they fill in the gaps in the sprite work.

I don't think this is that random. They probably saw / knew about Eiyuden Chronicles and are wisely capitalizing on that.
I wonder how many spiritual successors Konami will see to their beloved ip before actually funding new entries themselves.

Never had the chance to play these games, and I heard a lot about how great they are.

Konami is back.

Nice. I played Suikoden a few years ago in preparation for playing II, but ended up never playing II lol But I enjoyed my time with I. Now, I will play both.

It's not limited to this game, but "chunky character sprites on higher resolution backgrounds" is still a really weird look to me. At least in the case of this and Legend of Mana, there's the excuse that they're the original sprites.

Looks like I’ve run out of excuses to not check out Suikoden II. Heard nothing but immense praise for it.

Next year is gonna be bonkers.

I played a little of 2 but never really got into it, might have to check these out with the HD remasters. I saw that the infamously bad localisations are being, at the very least, touched up too.

I loved both games in the 32-bit era but have put aside replaying them for far too long. I'm excited to delve back in with remasters.

They've been pretty active on Twitter releasing comparisons with the originals. So far this has been looking pretty impressive!

It really is time to tell us the release date.

August onwards looks pretty empty for this sort of game. On the other hand, Eiyuden Chronicle will likely also be released in that timeframe. I hope they don't end up being released merely weeks apart.

delayed

Previously, the collection was on track for 2023. Now, however, Konami is not specifying any sort of time frame – it’s simply TBA.

We would like to thank Suikoden fans everywhere for your ongoing passion and support for the Suikoden series.

Regarding the planned release of Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars, we have reached the conclusion that despite the very best efforts of our dedicated development staff to release the Remasters in 2023, additional time is needed to ensure the quality performance and gameplay experience our users deserve.
The entire Suikoden team is renewing our efforts to bring Suikoden I & II HD Remaster to release as soon as is possible.

We will share further release information as soon as it becomes available, on our official social media accounts and official homepage.
We appreciate your understanding and sincerely hope you will continue to lend Suikoden your support.

Thank you,
The Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars Team

After June, I kind of figured that 2023 was a long shot. Oh well. The wait will be worth it.

They're probably waiting for Eiyuden to launch and get some of that promotion.

as someone that has never played these I hope not

i'm perfectly willing to buy both day 1(assuming Eiyuden reviews well) but if they release too close together i'll probably just buy whichever comes out last later on at a deep discount

Back
Top Bottom