• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Steam Steam Next Fest: October 2023 Edition [Oct. 9th - 16th]

Joedev

Shriekbat
GBJbXvX.png

Steam Next Fest starts later today at 10:00AM PACIFIC. I thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss the many demos that will become available and highlight some cool upcoming games.

What is Steam Next Fest?

Valve describes it as a multi-day celebration of upcoming games where you can explore and play hundreds of demos, choose from dozens of livestreams to watch, and chat with developers about their games. It's basically an opportunity for upcoming games to get a spotlight and build up some hype. One thing to note that I wasn't aware of until recently - Games can only participate in a single Steam Next Fest, so it makes sense to do it in the nearest one relative to your release date. In theory, that means that most of these games should be releasing within the next 2-3 months.

Any Highlights?

There are a few things that I'm looking forward to trying, but mostly I enjoy just trying random stuff.

Is anyone planning to try out some demos, or is there anything in particular that you are anticipating?

I've tried out the demo of The Talos Principle 2. The original is one of my favorite puzzle games: a Portal-like with a great story and some really cool meta-puzzles. The sequel seems to be bigger and better in every way, although some stuff seen in the demo is already intimidating. The original had great puzzles but the core elements throughout most of the story were fairly simple: cubes, lasers, fans. Only by the end of the second hub out of three, I believe, you'd get some genuinely weird stuff. Here by the time the game really starts you're messing with teleports and portals. I'm so damn excited.

I think I saw apogee has a demo for that retro magic shooter thing Wizordium?

I usually say "hey! I'm gonna check out a demo or two" and never even launch them lol.

Another Crab's Treasure is something I've had my eye on. IF I remember I'll give it a whirl.

Okay I have to try out that Yohane game

For others uh I’m a bit overwhelmed with things so I’ll probably just try out anything that gets some chatter

Snufkin Melody of Moominvalley has a Demo!!
Other than that I often find it hard to really browse through these, at least on Deck. Does anybody perhaps know if there's a way to filter by country of origin or original language?

I've been interested in KarmaZoo since it was announced a while back. It releases Nov. 14th on PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series S/X & PlayStation 5 with crossplay.

Gave the demo a try on my lunch break and it's pretty fun. Seems like a fairly chill game where you are working together with up to 10 others to get through a series of obstacles. You can collect karma hearts in the levels, or as gifts from other players, and then you can use those to unlock other forms. Each form seems to have it's own unique abilities and the levels seem to require a good amount of teamwork to get through. I liked it a lot and for only $10, there is a good chance that I get this on Switch next month.

Is anyone planning to try out some demos, or is there anything in particular that you are anticipating?

Not planning on playing anything this time, but there are a couple demos in the "oh it's cool that this exists" category -

We have a thread on fami about PINBALL M, the mature, freaky pinball table simulator from Zen Studios.

And the eternally dirt cheap Cooking Simulator is getting a sequel with optional multiplayer. I thought that the first game was at its best when you struggle in front of a crowd, so this looks promising. It's called Cooking Simulator 2: Better Together.

And there's a demo for Flashback 2, sequel to the classic.

Oh, I actually might play the Super Crazy Rhythm Castle demo from Konami. I'm very curious about that one... Also coming to Switch.

Went through the demo list and already installed like 8 different ones. I might have a problem.

I've tried out the demo of The Talos Principle 2. The original is one of my favorite puzzle games: a Portal-like with a great story and some really cool meta-puzzles. The sequel seems to be bigger and better in every way, although some stuff seen in the demo is already intimidating. The original had great puzzles but the core elements throughout most of the story were fairly simple: cubes, lasers, fans. Only by the end of the second hub out of three, I believe, you'd get some genuinely weird stuff. Here by the time the game really starts you're messing with teleports and portals. I'm so damn excited.
The fact that The Talos Principle 2 has a demo blindsided me and I downloaded that sucker immediately. I'm genuinely shocked it's not getting more attention and discussion - the game looks incredibly gorgeous, and yeah, the new puzzle elements are already bending my brain all over again. And it runs really well at 1080p on my 3070.

Also, the new "Prometheus Spark" system is a massive improvement over the previous game's Messenger system, since you just need to do a little exploration and/or platforming to find them, and you can get one back after using it if you actually complete the puzzle properly.

And I've discovered an easter egg (specifically a
Serious Sam 9 arcade cabinet
), a secret puzzle and another environmental puzzle that requires access to a puzzle you can't access in the demo. Nevermind those freaking bronze gates. So much tantalizing stuff that I want to see and solve!

Only took a quick look but already saw several things I want to try:
  • Mobius Machine
  • The Last Faith
  • Japanese Drift Master
  • Jusant
  • Another Crab's Treasure
  • Europa

The fact that The Talos Principle 2 has a demo blindsided me and I downloaded that sucker immediately. I'm genuinely shocked it's not getting more attention and discussion - the game looks incredibly gorgeous, and yeah, the new puzzle elements are already bending my brain all over again. And it runs really well at 1080p on my 3070.

Also, the new "Prometheus Spark" system is a massive improvement over the previous game's Messenger system, since you just need to do a little exploration and/or platforming to find them, and you can get one back after using it if you actually complete the puzzle properly.

And I've discovered an easter egg (specifically a
Serious Sam 9 arcade cabinet
), a secret puzzle and another environmental puzzle that requires access to a puzzle you can't access in the demo. Nevermind those freaking bronze gates. So much tantalizing stuff that I want to see and solve!
I've only checked out the puzzles so far, because I assume the demo doesn't save progress, so any secrets I can find won't be transferred anyway.

I've also checked out Talos 1 Let's Play and was reminded how much less impressive Talos 1 was at the beginning. It took like 4 worlds to give you a cube and most puzzles were about jamming mines. The opening area of 2 does such a good job of teaching you some stumpers from 1, like the elevation not being a problem if you want to pick something up, before opening up into a completely different experience.

I know those are just demos and a lot of the time small dev teams working on it but I'm getting really annoyed by sometimes the lack of keybinding options or in certain case (and as frustrating) incomplete where the game makes you think you can adjust the key bindings but then there are hidden keybindings that you can't adjust.

Really fucking sucks when you're not using a QWERTY keyboard.

I've only checked out the puzzles so far, because I assume the demo doesn't save progress, so any secrets I can find won't be transferred anyway.

I've also checked out Talos 1 Let's Play and was reminded how much less impressive Talos 1 was at the beginning. It took like 4 worlds to give you a cube and most puzzles were about jamming mines. The opening area of 2 does such a good job of teaching you some stumpers from 1, like the elevation not being a problem if you want to pick something up, before opening up into a completely different experience.
The demo does save your progress. Considering how the demo is structured, there's no way save data will transfer over, but with a game like this frankly it doesn't matter much.

The demo does save your progress. Considering how the demo is structured, there's no way save data will transfer over, but with a game like this frankly it doesn't matter much.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant. And since I found the locked gates and a few secret puzzles I figured I'd just wait with meta-progress.

Back
Top Bottom