• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Steam and epic (small chance) coming to Xbox discussion

I’m mostly asking, since there’s been a round of people discussing, that Phil mentioned he’d like Steam and the Epic launcher coming to Xbox in the future.

Might be the usual Phil says something and doesn’t to nothing, but i find it interesting, mostly because Xbox would technically be able to play PlayStation exclusives on the Xbox if steam comes around.

I’m mostly asking, since there’s been a round of people discussing, that Phil mentioned he’d like Steam and the Epic launcher coming to Xbox in the future.

Might be the usual Phil says something and doesn’t to nothing, but i find it interesting, mostly because Xbox would technically be able to play PlayStation exclusives on the Xbox if steam comes around.
I'm sure Sony would fix that loophole somehow.

Gonna side-eye anything Spencer says but sure why not.

Also stick Gamepass on Steam, it'd be nice to have access to it on my Steam Deck but I'm not jumping through hoops (installing Windows etc.) for it.

I will say that I am highly interested in something that has the "reliability" of a console but at heart is just a PC that runs my Steam, EGS, and Xbox library.

It seems like such a no brainer to take the concept of a ROG Ally or Steam Deck (standardized PC hardware that runs PC games) and build a console box out of it that has more oomph. It is most likely the future of the industry.

Yes this means hardware will be lost but I really do think a device that bridges the game between a $500 console and a $1300 mid range PC is a good product.

In regards to price; if Sony can maintain their console prices at $500 and its a closed ecosystem box, a potential $700 - $800 box with the same power capabilities but as an open PC platform to access your entire PC library is definitely worth the mark up in cost needed since a system like this won't be subsidized anymore.

I will say that I am highly interested in something that has the "reliability" of a console but at heart is just a PC that runs my Steam, EGS, and Xbox library.

It seems like such a no brainer to take the concept of a ROG Ally or Steam Deck (standardized PC hardware that runs PC games) and build a console box out of it that has more oomph. It is most likely the future of the industry.

Yes this means hardware will be lost but I really do think a device that bridges the game between a $500 console and a $1300 mid range PC is a good product.
Plus Microsoft is the grand daddy of Windows.

Plus I think valve and Xbox are in good term, so I can see it happening in their next console or possibly their handheld.

If that happens, I can see Sony just create their own pc launcher if Xbox goes to steam, since technically it’s selling on steam and not the Microsoft store.

Plus Microsoft is the grand daddy of Windows.

Plus I think valve and Xbox are in good term, so I can see it happening in their next console or possibly their handheld.

If that happens, I can see Sony just create their own pc launcher if Xbox goes to steam, since technically it’s selling on steam and not the Microsoft store.
Microsoft being the owner of windows also benefits them because even if Lenovo, Asus, or MSI want to make "console" versions of their Go, Ally, and Claw, they still need to pay the licensing fee for Windows itself. I think Microsoft (and Xbox) realize that they have more to gain with a massively expanding gaming PC audience than they do an expanding Xbox audience. I welcome this. I love console gaming, but I definitely see the benefit of PC gaming. I just get scared off by the sticker shock. I would love a more"consoleized" PC platform.

What versions of the games would run on Xbox? Windows? Steam OS (is that a thing?)?
I would imagine it would be the Windows versions. I am not smart with how hardware and compatibility works but is there a huge difference at a hardware level in how games would run on an AMD based ROG Ally and Steam Deck compared to how games would run on an AMD based Xbox that is already built on top of Windows anyway? I would imagine reworking Xbox' Windows OS to access the hardware more like a PC would do most of the heavy lifting?

* keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about.

Above all questions about how to do it, what restrictions, which versions of games, about regulations and stuff like responsibility and accountability, and so on stand big questions, and i'd say it's the most important ones (for those companies at least):

What about the money?

Does MS get money from Steam and Epic if their stores are on Xbox consoles?
How much money do they get?
Do they get a "general fee" or a part of every game sale?
Do Steam and Epic actually want to share revenue with MS?

Remember, the Epic vs Apple drama went on because Epic didn't want to pay the regular fees Apple charges for this Appstore stuff.
So why would they feel okay with paying a share to MS?

Would MS gain anything, outside of short-lived internet goodwill, from allowing Steam and Epic having their stores on their hardware for free?

What versions of the games would run on Xbox? Windows? Steam OS (is that a thing?)?
My guess is that the Steam/Epic purchases of the games would carry over to Xbox, which would be insanely pro-consumer... and also really fucking stupid for Xbox imo.
Porting every game to Xbox would be an insane task, especially considering a large portion of Steam games aren't and likely will never be optimized for controller. The only reason why games can run on Steam Deck is because the device is made with customization and Keyboard+Mouse in mind through Gyro and the trackpads, neither of which Xbox has on their controllers. I don't think that's what is happening, but that also means Xbox is likely making a grand total of no-money from Steam purchase-carryover. So like... what's the point in this unless you're trying to make a better service than Sony?

Above all questions about how to do it, what restrictions, which versions of games, about regulations and stuff like responsibility and accountability, and so on stand big questions, and i'd say it's the most important ones (for those companies at least):

What about the money?

Does MS get money from Steam and Epic if their stores are on Xbox consoles?
How much money do they get?
Do they get a "general fee" or a part of every game sale?
Do Steam and Epic actually want to share revenue with MS?

Remember, the Epic vs Apple drama went on because Epic didn't want to pay the regular fees Apple charges for this Appstore stuff.
So why would they feel okay with paying a share to MS?

Would MS gain anything, outside of short-lived internet goodwill, from allowing Steam and Epic having their stores on their hardware for free?
I think it will just be standard windows OS rules. Microsoft won't get a cut of other storefront games, but what they get is a cheaper and more comprehensive entry into PC gaming where they also game all of their games as well as the Gamepass subscription where they will make games from.

Microsoft still benefits from Steam and EGS because they sell their first party games on those store fronts and their games sell very well on those store fronts. This device purely existing as a gaming device that runs on Windows is a direct benefit to them in multiple ways because it keeps people in the Windows ecosystem which strengthens that part of Microsoft and it also is a device to sell their games on. I think it is a smart move.

Words are wind.

I think people are reading too much into Spencer's throwaway comment. Polygon is trying to milk 20 articles out of a single interview instead of just posting it in full.

I think Steam on Xbox would solve two problems, one for Microsoft and one for Valve.

Microsoft needs users, Steam has a lot.

Valve has computers and now handhelds, but no hardware for the living room. Microsoft has that hardware.

If they could transition the Xbox line into Steam Machines, that’d be mutually beneficial for both parties.

This would make my Xbox more useful for even longer, I want it and have zero complaints.

An Xbox store for high accessibility and ease of use, PLUS, third party stores with more variety?

That's like, the best part of Android, a high quality premium store where everything will Just Work, but the option to install whatever you like.

I think Steam on Xbox would solve two problems, one for Microsoft and one for Valve.

Microsoft needs users, Steam has a lot.

Valve has computers and now handhelds, but no hardware for the living room. Microsoft has that hardware.

If they could transition the Xbox line into Steam Machines, that’d be mutually beneficial for both parties.
Apparently Valve is planning on a home console-like device for VR or akin to the Steam Deck or something. Essentially a successor from the Steam Machine after getting proton working well.

So basically, Valve has no incentive, but it's not like Valve would care that much. If it requires no effort and gets Gabe another Yacht, it doesn't matter.

Spencer is just throwing out every idea they have now since none of their actual business plans are working. There is no money to be had in this for any potential storefronts or for Xbox. The dominant storefronts on a platform will never make less than 90% of the money spent on the platform and there's little to no point in fighting over the remaining 10%. Microsoft would probably spend more getting the infrastructure in place than any stores that could plausibly come to the platform would ever generate.

Steam has never shown any interest in expanding outside of platforms they control and why would they? Epic could have made an Android version of EGS years ago, before all the lawsuits, and didn't, and that was on a platform where they weren't actively selling Fortnite on the main store.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom