• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Star Trek |ST| Discovery

merp

Darknut
Pronouns
He/him
So, I've never watched Star Trek since The Last Generation.

But I might as well make an ST thread for other Star Trek fans.

Apparently, Star Trek: Picard, the recent Star Trek: Discovery, and some other Star Trek content has been great since at least 2020.

Has it? I would like to watch Picard for old time's sake, but idk. The first season seems rough with one scene in particular. But eh, we'll see.

Star Trek: Resurgence (the new upcoming video game) seems great.

Also, some news:

What do you think? Where should I start with the new Trek content?

Bumping this because I'm starting Star Trek now, lol. I'm doing a skiplist for the original series, then I'm going to watch Strange New Worlds.
That's cool. I've been a Trek fan for decades now, but Strange New Worlds is the thing that finally got my lady into Trek after several prior attempts.
She ended up liking Picard season 3 a bunch too, which is great considering she has no nostalgia for any of it.

Interested in your thoughts as you go along!

That's cool. I've been a Trek fan for decades now, but Strange New Worlds is the thing that finally got my lady into Trek after several prior attempts.
She ended up liking Picard season 3 a bunch too, which is great considering she has no nostalgia for any of it.

Interested in your thoughts as you go along!
Is Star Trek Picard any good?

I honestly thought it was trash, from what I've heard, and was relucant to watch it as a result.

Is Star Trek Picard any good?

I honestly thought it was trash, from what I've heard, and was reluctant to watch it as a result.
The common consensus is that seasons 1 and 2 are poor and skippable, but season 3 is good and recommended.
(Season 3 got a new head showrunner who managed to convince Patrick Stewart to relax and let the writers handle it, thus it goes in an entirely different direction than the previous two seasons)

Season 3 is also pretty good about bundling into dialogue any vital context that you need to know, basically assuming that some viewers will jump straight to season 3. So feel free to skip right over seasons 1&2. Although obviously being familiar with the original TNG show that these characters are from is generally assumed. If someone hasn't seen TNG in a while, I'd recommend a few as a refresher first: Encounter at Farpoint, Datalore, Elementary Dear Data, Best of Both Worlds pt 1&2, All Good Things pt 1&2, Star Trek Generations
(although for someone who has never seen any of it that list would be longer)

There's really only one vital piece of information from PIC season 1 that most people recommend knowing before jumping into season 3, but even that is covered briefly in dialogue during season 3 so you don't really need it, knowing it just might help you keep up more easily. So if you want it:

In season 1, another human descendant of the Soong family (that invented/created Data the android) has continued advancing that work and has nearly perfected it. Jean-Luc Picard succumbs to irumodic syndrome in his old age, but utilizing an untested procedure with a very low success rate he is miraculously saved when his consciousness is quickly transferred to one of these nearly-human artificial bodies, customized to appear and age exactly like his human body, just without the fatal disease.

Oh, and Guinan these days keeps a bar in Los Angeles that's called 10 Forward.

Last edited:
Skiplist?

A list of ~17 episodes with some of the movies of the Original Series designed to get you ready for Strange New Worlds. It's a great way to just see the more "important" episodes of the original series.

Not sure where to put this, but Star Trek Prodigy has been cancelled.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Actually, what am I saying? This is technically the Star Trek ST thread anyway, not the Star Trek Discovery ST.

Shame about Prodigy, people liked that one. I'm still plugging away at TOS episodes, they are good but also I'll be glad to be done with that watchlist. The old eps have interesting premises but can be slow.

Still getting through Voyager right now but was planning on checking out Prodigy after finishing it, it's a shame it's been canceled so soon since I've heard good things from fans.

Currently catching up on SNW season 2 but have not been enjoying it as much as the last, we're only 3 episodes in so hopefully it eventually clicks with me like the previous one did.

Seeing that Prodigy got cancelled absolutely wrecked me. I've been looking forward to Season 2 and that was... not the news I wanted to see, no. So many shows are just getting snapped out of existence and it sucks.

Star Trek is really cool, one more TOS ep on my watchlist. I've also watched one DS9 episode thanks to recommendation from @OTBWY .

I hope to watch the first TOS movie tonight.

Star Trek is really cool, one more TOS ep on my watchlist. I've also watched one DS9 episode thanks to recommendation from @OTBWY .

I hope to watch the first TOS movie tonight.
Trials and Tribble-ations is such a fun episode if you have watched the TOS episode as well. Pretty cool how they did it so well to capture the visuals in the 90s.

Wow the crossover episode of SNW and Lower Decks was great, very delightful and fun, kinda reminded me of DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations. Had my doubts about how the characters would work in live action but Jack Quaid and Tawny Newsome nailed it.

First impression was that it felt more like Lower Decks than Strange New Worlds. In that I'd expect Pike to keep a tighter leash on two future randos if they weren't people the viewing audience wanted to see doing things. But it's impressive how it wasn't just a silly episode, but Boimler and Mariner inadvertently continued the personal storylines of most of the SNW regulars. Only M'Benga and Ortegas felt left out of that.

Anyone else been paying attention to the Master Replicas sales of old Eaglemoss stock? Before Eaglemoss went out of business I had just a few models, but when the old stock started becoming available FOMO hit... and then I started taking a particular interest in the 22nd century and earlier ships, so now I've got nearly 20, plus a few non-Eaglemoss ones to expand the 20th century section and such. By now I've filled in most of the gaps I wanted to while still being able to fit on my shelves (actually, also got some longer shelves to fit this much), though if I got all I wanted to I'd have to put some sideways..
ddcuQX5.jpg

I am a pretty big Star Trek fan, currently watching DS9 which I missed back in days and it secretly turns into the best Star Trek show as the season go on. Here is my take on a ll the Star Trek content we got in the recent years:

Picard S1 was pretty bad overall with a forgettable story and failing to really establish the new characters / making you care for them. Season 2 started out very promising but then goes the same route as S1, making some quite baffling choices.
And then season 3 somehow became one of the best seasons of Star Trek, making you wish they would have followed on that vibe for the first two seasons as well instead of unsuccessfully trying to establish new characters that you won't care about before they inevitably disappear, never to be seen again.

And finally about Discovery... I actually feel about that show quite differently than many others. I actually prefer what the show tried to do in the first few seasons and then the story just kinda spirals out of control. Not a fan of Michael also and I think her characters worked better as a wild number 1 rather than being in charge.

Something I've also realized with both Discovery and SNW is that the 10-episode format makes it much harder to make all the characters grow on you. Sometimes I miss the format of having 24+ episodes per season. Sure, they included some rather inane ones but it gave them ample time to establish such a big cast of characters.
SNW manages this quite well all in all but somehow I never managed to care for a lot of the Discovery characters in a same way. The show just did their own thing and. it was probably good that they sent them so far into the future where they could not do more harm. I applaud Discovery for the amount of diversity they have in their crew and finally also including a significant amount of queer characters. Other than that it just felt like a really messy journey to me.

And then finally there is Prodigy. Man was I happy to see Janeway again (clearly the best and most badass captain there ever was!) and while I first dismissed it as a "kids" show it actually gets surprisingly good. i do hope they manage to carry on with that crew elsewhere or better still: give Janeway her own proper reboot.

And finally about Discovery... I actually feel about that show quite differently than many others. I actually prefer what the show tried to do in the first few seasons and then the story just kinda spirals out of control. Not a fan of Michael also and I think her characters worked better as a wild number 1 rather than being in charge.
I appreciated Discovery as Finally New Star Trek, but it's definitely easier for me to nitpick with so many other new shows and seeing "Oh, so this ISN'T just how Star Trek has to work in this day and age." Everyone seems to have their emotions cranked up to 12, even the person raised on Vulcan.
Something I've also realized with both Discovery and SNW is that the 10-episode format makes it much harder to make all the characters grow on you. Sometimes I miss the format of having 24+ episodes per season. Sure, they included some rather inane ones but it gave them ample time to establish such a big cast of characters.
Yeah, I really wish someone would do something a little more "TV" with more episodes and faster turnaround rather than pushing for everything to be as close to feature quality as possible, and having full seasons filmed a year before people see anything of it. Especially after reading the DS9 Companion I appreciate how though that series felt less episodic than TNG, they were still largely winging it not knowing what would happen more than a few episodes ahead... they were just really good at it and didn't shy away from letting characters/situations change.

Small off topic, sorta, kinda :

I just watched the pilot of The Orville because two friends told me that I would like it if I like Star Trek, and it is clearly heavily "inspired" by Star Trek (so much so that if Seth MacFarlane could replace his name by Gene Roddenberry, it would've done it).

So far, the pilot is far from being a disaster like Encounter at Farpoint (TNG's pilot) but... man, I'm having a lot of problems with how the writing and the characters. I couldn't remember the name of the Cheapo-Discount Joker from Mass Effect as the pilot and "We have non-blind Geordi and he drinks on the bridge and he says 'Oh man' and 'Dude'. Oh and there's "What if Lore & Hitler had a son ?", aka the Data character who wants to study human beings, but he and his entire specie is racist and openly think that all other species are inferiors to them. It's "Lore and Hitler had a son !"

Speaking of Discount Joker, at one point he states to all the bridge crew that the captain's ex wife is a total b***ch (wow) and then when he meets her, he says "Oh I already said to the bridge crew how awesome you are and I think they'll love you" and... there's no payoff. No one gives a damn about it in the rest of the episode aside for one line between Alara and Bortus and that's it. End of the joke.

At that point I wasn't a big fan of the episode and also of the way physics works in space ; since right from the start when Discount Joker pretends to be drunk and almost crash the shuttle. And then there's the "Hug the dunkey" move and... wow. I believe that if you want to make your own take on Star Trek, you have to -at least- not screw up how movement work in space, how your engines and thrusts works etc.

So far I'm not a fan, but eh, TNG's pilot was atrocious and so was most of its first two seasons, so I'll give it a try and see if it improves.

It's hard to recommend that people go through early stuff they're not enjoying, but I do think the Orville finds a better balance for its humor as time goes on, and has episode concepts that would legit work on Star Trek with very little tweaking. The first episode especially is pretty blunt on setting things up. "HEY AREN'T YOU THAT RACIST ROBOT?" but I think Isaac becomes a pretty interesting character. Data was "I want to know about humans so I can be more like one", whereas Isaac is more "I want to know about humans because I have to deal with them".

Finished TNG last week and despite some episodes and ideas that haven’t aged well, overall I loved it. I’ve seen the first season of SNW and some of the movies. Next is DS9 for me but I’ll probably wait a few months before diving into that one; might pick up season 2 of SNW in between.

So of the modern era shows, that's
Discovery: Cancelled before ending on its own.
Picard: Ended on its own after 30 episodes.
Lower Decks: Cancelled before ending on its own.
Prodigy: Cancelled before ending on its own, in-works episodes picked up by Netflix, future seems unlikely.
Strange New Worlds: So far so good.

I've been doing annual Paramount+ subscriptions while they've had plenty of Trek content, but it'll probably be safe to go back to occasional monthly subscriptions soon, when it will just be waiting for Strange New Worlds and the Starfleet Academy show in preproduction.

They held off Discovery's final season so long that from beginning to end it will be the longest-running Star Trek series, just beating out TNG but with far fewer episodes. I thought it would be interesting to try and visualize this. It's probably not immediately obvious that higher bars represent double-length or two episodes on the same day, but at least the icons representing each episode seem pretty visible and discrete unless it's scaled down greatly.
F1uqhQ0.png

Season 2 of Strange New Worlds is super duper good. Four episodes in and loved pretty much all of them.

Pretty sure for the moment Prodigy is finished with no work being done on it. I'm sure there's some hope that season 2 will be a big enough Netflix hit that they want more, but I'm guessing that's a tall order.

So there is at least going to be a season 2?
They were working on it when Paramount+ dropped the show, and continued working on it while looking for a new home for it. When Netflix picked it up they put up season 1 late last year, and season 2 will show some unknown time this year.

Found the tweet about season 2 being finished, so it's just a matter of whenever they think is the right time to schedule it.

So there is at least going to be a season 2?

Season 2 actually dropped in its entirety on some French television channel/streaming service so we already have all episode titles etc.
Not sure why Netflix is waiting so long to release it worldwide/in EN though :/

Back
Top Bottom