• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Square Enix announces dungeon exploration RPG Dungeon Encounters, directed by Hiroyuki Ito, releasing on October 15

mazi

picross pundit
Publisher Square Enix and developer Cattle Call have announced dungeon exploration RPG Dungeon Encounters for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch on October 15.

Dungeon Encounters is produced by Hiroaki Kato and directed by Hiroyuki Ito, and features character designs by Ryoma Ito and music direction by Nobuo Uematsu.
Directed by Final Fantasy series veteran Hiroyuki Ito and produced by Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age‘s Hiroaki Kato, Dungeon Encounters challenges players to test their strategic skills with 100 levels of thought-provoking challenges. Using 2D grid-based movements, players are invited to lead an expedition charting the depths of an otherworldly labyrinth. Plan and prepare to overcome numerous obstacles, battles, and defeat monsters in a bid to outwit the formidable game system and reach the deepest level of the Dungeon. Strategize to survive!

Sorry, but that looks horrible. They should have gone full 2D instead of going for… this. I know it’s a low-budget game, but at this point, it kinda looks like somebody is just being a troll.

This looks weird as hell.

What are Square Enix thinking releasing this two weeks apart from Voice of Cards? You'd think they want to spread out their smaller scale releases a bit better.

I actually kind of like the pen and paper style of the game but I'm typically awful at dungeon crawlers haha I don't have the brain for them. I can't say this is how I would have expected Ito to pop up again lol

That looks weird as hell. Like part puzzle, part RPG? I have no idea what those numbers on the map mean, this did not do a good job explaining that.

looks pretty weird... reminds me of a 3d first person dungeon crawer but from an isometric view?

the rpg backlog is dense as fuck, but i'm always interested in trying out new rpg concepts. will probably check this out on a sale.

If I think of this as an alternative to nothing, it's great!

For real though, happy to download a demo like I did with Voice of Cards.

I can't tell if this is continuing the trend of Square-Enix underfunding anything that's not called Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts... or if this is actually what Ito wanted to make.

I can't tell if this is continuing the trend of Square-Enix underfunding anything that's not called Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts... or if this is actually what Ito wanted to make.
It looks bad, don’t it

Nice to see Ito get back into game development.

The artstyle is gorgeous and Uematsu is always a big name for music. It looks extremely minimalistic but im excited for it.

Definitely agree that it should of been spaced out from Voice of Cards though.

I do like some dungeon crawling. If the customization and battle/progression systems are dense enough I'll definitely be giving this game a look.

As I said before. Dungeon crawling with Etrian style map charting has me interested.
Yeah it's not exactly Etrian Odyssey, but as a fan of that series it intrigue me a lot. I like how it look like a board game too.

Voice of Cards is a similarly low budget affair that comes off well visually due to some great art direction on the characters. This game... less so. I don't quite grasp how things will play out on the trailer alone. Dungeon crawlers can be pretty fun, so I'll keep an eye out for impressions when it comes out but I am not really impressed with the trailer. If only this game had a demo like Voice of Cards did, which absolutely sold me on that game.

No Etrian Odyssey for the time being means this is a perfect dungeon crawler classic to slide right on in my life. I'm interested!

It looks interesting but I wish they did more with the aesthetics. Either its intentional or the game has no budget whatsoever.

Looks interesting. It's basically a dungeon crawler with very basic graphical representations of the necessary stuff. I like the idea. I want to read some impressions before I buy though.

This will either be an amazing game, or a terrible one, I feel. No in-betweens.

Y’all are crazy this looks great
Agreed, I find it oddly compelling. It's not really the type of game I'm used to but I just want to give it a shot after seeing the reveal trailer. This and Voice of Cards both came out of nowhere for me.

...Oh dear. The Unlimited Saga vibes are strong with this one. I don't dislike it in concept though, as map-heavy dungeon rpgs are pretty cool and always welcome. It's just that visually, the general emptiness of those maps make it looks almost like a concept/pitch video...

But I'm really digging the crispness of the character and monster designs. And man, these lower key Square-Enix releases we're getting remind me of Square's more experimental phase in the PS1 days and regardless of the results, I think that's great.

Agreed, I find it oddly compelling. It's not really the type of game I'm used to but I just want to give it a shot after seeing the reveal trailer. This and Voice of Cards both came out of nowhere for me.
Yeah I’m excited for Voice of Cards also. These are definitely games for people deep into the genre but that’s not a bad thing at all.

I really like the character and enemy portrait art, and can appreciate a game that goes for a more minimalist or simplified visual identity, but there was probably a better happy medium than having the action take place on what looks like an empty crossword on a piece of wrapping paper. Still I do enjoy a good dungeon crawl and in the absence of Etrian Odyssey I might give this a try if it has good word of mouth.

I was wondering where Hiroaki Kato would turn up after the Zodiac Age, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, though not surprised, that he was not secretly plugging away at a new Tactics Advance or Tactics Ogre or anything similar to those two.
Damn, now I'm imaging a new FFT or Ogre Tactics game with this character/enemy artstyle ( assuming the absence of Yoshida who would always be choice #1 if he was available ) and I am even more disappointed. Ryoma Ito ( the artist for this game ) previously did great work on the Tactics Advance series among other Ivalice themed projects so it makes even more sense.

square is taking the low budget games to a new level. And even then there are plenty of indie games with a lower budget that look better

It looks....interesting but very low budget. I wonder how much it will cost.
Edit: Oh, the PS Store says 30$.

This looks like an internal prototype or tech demo that got a public release.

Game is a lot of fun. I kind of am addicted already and want to explore the floors. The best way I can describe it is that It’s a hardcore rpg with minimalistic presentation.

Game is a lot of fun. I kind of am addicted already and want to explore the floors. The best way I can describe it is that It’s a hardcore rpg with minimalistic presentation.
Ive been looking forward to this game so I’m happy to hear it’s fun.

I’m excited for this but probably not at launch as I’m busy with stuff. Launch discount is tempting though.

This, Voice of Cards and Undernauts all launching around the same time (and so soon before SMTV)…turn-based RPG fans and dungeon crawlers are under attack!

GMG keys are out now! The game's probably better suited for portable play, but the extra discount was hard to resist.

I just bought it on the eShop. It's on sale in North America and I had to support such a game that emphasizes game design. It also has a great pedigree, so I want to see more stuff like this on the market. No reviews that I saw and all the previews I saw were in Japanese.

Edit: I am a sucker for dungeon crawlers and games with random elements. I have fond memories of playing Dungeon Hack on PC in another life.

Played for a bit. What you see on the trailer is what you get, essentially. It's a FF-flavoured low budget SaGa (lol) game, or perhaps a Final Fantasy Go if you remember the Hitman/Lara Croft games SE released a while back. Solid, good-old ATB combat mixed with some Divinity OS2 elements, basic, if addictive exploration thanks to the dopamine hit of getting skill points per tiles discovered and fun equipment/number crunching. And even though it is hilariously low budget, everything that made it into the game does work in a smooth, responsive way, making for a breezy experience. I don't think it'll convince people who weren't already sold at "Hiroyuki Ito", but it should satisfy the small niche it's directed at. Looking forward to playing it more after I'm done with Metroid!

Did this release a day early? I am so tempted to snatch it with the early discount but will wait a few days to see if there are any reviews or first impressions forthcoming.

Did this release a day early? I am so tempted to snatch it with the early discount but will wait a few days to see if there are any reviews or first impressions forthcoming.
Not really?
I think it's just down to how much further ahead Japan Time is compared to the US. It's already the 15th over there, and has been for several hours.

Back
Top Bottom