• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think Splatoon needs a break before we dive right in to Splatoon 4. A spin-off or single player-only game would be what I want to see out of Splatoon. Something that expands the world we know, feels different in structure from the 3 games we have, yet contains the core elements of the others' singleplayer mode (Platforming/Shooter fusion)

Late to the party but that was just... Weird???
I mean, he made that capital "THIS IS A HINT" on the tweet, which wouldn't make any sense if it was just speculation.
Then on the video he says he's based the speculation on rumors and research... Which kinda means he at least have found info or was fed with info on a game led by Zelda, because there's no rumor on such a game besides his.
So I get that he's either just making bait, or he has inside info on a Zelda-led game and the part he's speculating about is it's a 2D game and using Link's Awakening art style.
I think he is getting info, but is framing what he’s heard moreso as speculation to avoid any heat if it’s wrong (maybe he’s not 100% on said sources as well) I’m sure getting reported by websites caught him off-guard, so he might just wanna calm things down.

I do genuinely believe his sources, he’s been told A LOT of Multiversus stuff, but people clearly take leaks of that game a lot less seriously than ones regarding Nintendo, so he doesn’t wanna look bad or get made fun of on forums like this

Honestly Splatoon could use a little break, Splatoon 4 needs to be pretty different/unique before we get a next one. 2027 seems fine for a new one but before then is too soon.

Honestly Splatoon could use a little break, Splatoon 4 needs to be pretty different/unique before we get a next one. 2027 seems fine for a new one but before then is too soon.
lol it would have already been 4 years since 3 by 2026, that's perfect for a break in between entries

Remember when we got Mario Kart every 3 years, and they were all kinda samey but we all still enjoyed them because they were great? I wonder why people won't extend the same courtesy to Splatoon

Summer 2026 is absolutely perfect for Splatoon 4
Agree, I see 2026 or 2027 as reasonable for next Splatoon, and Animal Crossing also in that time frame. It's possible we see Splatoon 4 as a first year title, but I'm not betting on it (I mean, 3 is still being supported right).

I mean, he made that capital "THIS IS A HINT" on the tweet, which wouldn't make any sense if it was just speculation.
Then on the video he says he's based the speculation on rumors and research... Which kinda means he at least have found info or was fed with info on a game led by Zelda, because there's no rumor on such a game besides his.
So I get that he's either just making bait, or he has inside info on a Zelda-led game and the part he's speculating about is it's a 2D game and using Link's Awakening art style.

She's already a mother to us 🙏🏻🙏🏻

I'm surprised on it tbh. I thought that with Splatoon 3 coming in 2022 and the expansion in 2024 would mean that Splatoon 4 would take awhile to come. I also thought Animal Crossing makes more sense first. But maybe they pull what EPD 10 did in 2023(Wonder and Pikmin 4) and we have both Splatoon 4 and Animal Crossing for Switch 2 by 2026.

I'm curious on what she'll show to the trusted members... 👀
So I’ll share my perspective specifically on the PapaGenos part as a fellow Youtuber who speaks on rumors and leaks that has also VERY occasionally been told a few things from behind the scenes… when I do get that info from someone I trust, I usually wait until something else comes up that supports it. And then ill bring it up in a video if I have permission, but sometimes that permission has conditions. I don’t want to expose the source. And so sometimes my wording may seem a bit odd as a result. Its been a learning experience for me over the last couple years.

In the case of PapaGenos I think he started hinting because of a source he trusts and said in the video what he had permission to say and/or sharing what he heard in a way that doesn’t expose his source.

And also maybe he doesn’t have enough confidence in the info to call it a leak. He might have only that one source for the Zelda rumor.

Looking at the past main game Splatoon project names (Gambit, Blitz, Thunder), I'm not too sure what angle Spiral is going for specifically (the first thought I had were spiral shells).

I think he is getting info, but is framing what he’s heard moreso as speculation to avoid any heat if it’s wrong (maybe he’s not 100% on said sources as well) I’m sure getting reported by websites caught him off-guard, so he might just wanna calm things down.

I do genuinely believe his sources, he’s been told A LOT of Multiversus stuff, but people clearly take leaks of that game a lot less seriously than ones regarding Nintendo, so he doesn’t wanna look bad or get made fun of on forums like this
I think this has been PPG's modus operandi since he started having more solid sources for his information. Andres' perspective above does help contextualise why the delivery of said information can feel a bit unfluent, I guess...?

lol it would have already been 4 years since 3 by 2026, that's perfect for a break in between entries

Remember when we got Mario Kart every 3 years, and they were all kinda samey but we all still enjoyed them because they were great? I wonder why people won't extend the same courtesy to Splatoon
The Mario Kart games were pretty different from each other where Splatoon 3 didn't really justify it's existence outside of more Splatoon especially with Splatoon 2 already not being all too different Splatoon 1.

I do think that both Splatoon and Animal Crossing being under EPD 5 could be a problem in the long-term. Perhaps they could find a co-developer to assist one of the franchises (much like how Pikmin has moved to a co-development model), maybe NDcube with their work on Pocket Camp?

Edit: My bad on this, there's much less overlap between the two franchises in terms of the development staff than I thought

Last edited:
Agree, I see 2026 or 2027 as reasonable for next Splatoon, and Animal Crossing also in that time frame. It's possible we see Splatoon 4 as a first year title, but I'm not betting on it (I mean, 3 is still being supported right).

I think there are 2 paths here for Splatoon as a series:'

In the first, we get a "Splatoon 3 deluxe" in the first year of the switch, like MK8 because that worked so well. DLC included, 4th Splatana/Stringer, a year of fests and third kits and some QOL like changing the catalogue system. Then, like 2027 we get a single player Splatoon spinoff.

Alternatively, we have AC be a year 1 title for Switch 2, with Splatoon 4 following 2027.

I'd probably prefer the former. Splatoon 3 is flawed in some ways, but It's got a wonderful selection of content with enough personality to rival the best.

Side note: I speculate nintendo wants a constant throughline of Online game updates - In the switch Era we got Splatoon 2 -> Smash Ultimate -> Splatoon 3/Booster Course Pass, to keep NSO subs up. if MK9/10 is launch Window, I suspect Smash would be Christmas 2026, which might mean splatoon may have to wait until 2028?

I do think that both Splatoon and Animal Crossing being under EPD 5 could be a problem in the long-term. Perhaps they could find a co-developer to assist one of the franchises (much like how Pikmin has moved to a co-development model), maybe NDcube with their work on Pocket Camp?
I suspect as soon as the new building is finished, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and 2D mario will be split into separate, full teams.

The Mario Kart games were pretty different from each other where Splatoon 3 didn't really justify it's existence outside of more Splatoon especially with Splatoon 2 already not being all too different Splatoon 1.
I beg you to go back and play 2's Salmon Run

I suspect as soon as the new building is finished, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and 2D mario will be split into separate, full teams.
Perhaps, but worth nothing that the building isn't set to be complete until 2028.

Another possibility, we don't know what's going on with EPD 1 at the moment. They haven't released a game since 2020 and some of the staff seems to have moved to EPD 2. Maybe they're planning on revamping that team as a new development team as opposed to the support focus that they had this generation. Maybe some franchises could shift there?

also Mario Kart does not involve anywhere near as much grinding

not that I care for the customization systems of 7+8, but even those are more tolerable

Gambit
Blitz
Thunder
Spiral

I guess I can see this Codename being relatable. Splatoon 4 will probably make its way out by 2026 the latest.

So, three more weeks until the Direct, or at least that's what Nate is hinting at? Sigh...I guess I'd better start playing actual games and whatnot now. Someone can tag me if Pyoro or another credible leaker hints at something Fire Emblem related...

Two things I would love to see at the Nintendo Direct:

1. Fantasian port coming to Switch.
2. Mameda No Bakeru getting an English localization and releasing in the West.

So, three more weeks until the Direct, or at least that's what Nate is hinting at? Sigh...I guess I'd better start playing actual games and whatnot now. Someone can tag me if Pyoro or another credible leaker hints at something Fire Emblem related...
But dude! It’s Summer Game Fest time!…:’D

Splatoon 3 had an amazing campaign mode

For that reason alone Mario Kart comparisons aren’t accurate

I don't think it's that big a deal, really. As it is, the two franchises don't have that much staff overlap outside of artists, and that can be remedied pretty easily. Of course, you can argue that that means they should just be split up anyway, but since Nogami acts as general producer for both, it's probably easier for them to just stay in the same group so he can better keep track of everything.

A project with the codename H.A.M.M.E.R. has restarted development at Nintendo.

Hoping there’s some big reveal of a new game I’ll be excited for. I don’t expect much outta Geoff shows but an out-of-nowhere hype announcement would really do it for me… maybe Mega Man finally:3

If they don't plan to do a next gen patch for Splatoon 3, Splatoon 4 in the first year makes all the sense in the world.

If it were just a deluxe version, I'd expect the codename to look like thunder-o.

That said, while I think that makes market sense, I also think it would be... Weird? Splatoon 3 sort of feels like it JUST got going. We got the third hub what, three months ago? Maybe 4 has a codename but is a long way off from release, because Splatoon 3 would be pretty well served by another year or two of occasional updates and a resolution bump, rather than just being... Abandoned as soon as they can.

Maybe that's just how Splatoon development goes. If it weren't for the COVID-19 pandemic, Splatoon 3 could have been planned for a MUCH earlier release than it got. They make one, they update it for a year or two, they're already making the next in the background based on the framework of the last.

With the mentioning of Splatoon, i think having a spin-off would be awesome.

Splatoon has the potential of being something like Mario and having countless of different gameplay, story's and setting, since the world of Splatoon has endless opportunity.

Like here's a fun example that a artist did.

If they don't plan to do a next gen patch for Splatoon 3, Splatoon 4 in the first year makes all the sense in the world.

If it were just a deluxe version, I'd expect the codename to look like thunder-o.

That said, while I think that makes market sense, I also think it would be... Weird? Splatoon 3 sort of feels like it JUST got going. We got the third hub what, three months ago? Maybe 4 has a codename but is a long way off from release, because Splatoon 3 would be pretty well served by another year or two of occasional updates and a resolution bump, rather than just being... Abandoned as soon as they can.

Maybe that's just how Splatoon development goes. If it weren't for the COVID-19 pandemic, Splatoon 3 could have been planned for a MUCH earlier release than it got. They make one, they update it for a year or two, they're already making the next in the background based on the framework of the last.
I mean… it’s in development. We know Nintendo sits on games all the time, even if it wraps development by the end of the year, they could still sit on and polish it until 2026

Is EPD 5 a big enough team to develop Splatoon 4 and a new Animal Crossing at the same time?

I feel like the Switch 2 needs both of those game within the first 2 years. In addition to that, Animal Crossing should be a live service game so they'd have to run that alongside Splatoon.

No idea if they've got enough staff to handle all that.

I like how leaks are coming out like crazy about Sega, Capcom, Xbox, Playstation, etc.

Yet NO ONE has anything to say about Metroid Prime 4. Retro Studios is an impenetrable fortress from which no information escapes.

Nintendo should start using dead franchises as codename for games in development. Like Codename F-Zero is the new Mario Kart. Codename ChiboRobo is Animal Crossing. Codename StarTropics is 1-2 Switch 3.

Is EPD 5 a big enough team to develop Splatoon 4 and a new Animal Crossing at the same time?

I feel like the Switch 2 needs both of those game within the first 2 years. In addition to that, Animal Crossing should be a live service game so they'd have to run that alongside Splatoon.

No idea if they've got enough staff to handle all that.
they can always rely on Monolith Soft.

But there's always a chance that this title might be a small spin-off game, like i genuinely believe that Animal Crossing is seen as a big priority since it's became into one of the biggest Nintendo IP overnight.

Like i wouldn't be surprised if the game will have a bigger focus on the live service and DLC, since selling to a potential 30M+ DLC is huge

More Midori codenames:

Then it turns out one of the trusted Famiboards members is secretly a Nintendo Ninja

You-Just-Activated-My-Trap-Card-meme-3.jpg

i'm still shocked that Retro hasn't produce a new game for over 10 years.

quite telling of valuable Nintendo sees them.

Also anyone expecting that Retro will create smaller teams to create games for example

Retro EDP 1-Metroid
Retro EDP 2-DK
Retro EDP 3- Nintendo property or new IP.

Would be cool

its not really the same team,they share a few staff like almost every nintendo game but the teams are pretty different nowadays,the top level staff only work on one of the series,splatoon 3 was delayed because of covid,if it was released on 2021 like nintendo intended , it would be the same year animal crossing dlc released and 1 year after the main game

I’ll let you know
Thanks!

But dude! It’s Summer Game Fest time!…:’D
And I'll see what games are exciting afterwards! My gaming library is pretty small relatively speaking - pretty much just Star Wars, Mass Effect, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Spider-Man, and Persona 5. (And maybe I'll dip back into Fallout later this summer.) I'm trying to branch out this year, and while some announcements may be exciting, I'm not sure there will be a lot to my liking.

Splatoon's Aesthetics on a SRPG would be a dream come true for me.
Something set during the Great Turf War would work wonders.
Ah, Halo and Splatoon. Two series I deeply love the lore of, and would love to see games set in their pasts, but we'll never get them. Still waiting for a human/forerunner war game.

Something set during the Great Turf War would work wonders.
Ah, Halo and Splatoon. Two series I deeply love the lore of, and would love to see games set in their pasts, but we'll never get them. Still waiting for a human/forerunner war game.

Personally, I'm hoping for a game set in Octo society Proper, whcih seems more than possible considering the threads in Side order.

I like how leaks are coming out like crazy about Sega, Capcom, Xbox, Playstation, etc.

Yet NO ONE has anything to say about Metroid Prime 4. Retro Studios is an impenetrable fortress from which no information escapes.
It’s wild isn’t it. You know how high profile this game is. You know how much people want info and we really don’t get anything.

We got the little stuff about it looking great, but that goes without saying lol.

On the one hand, it does feel like Splatoon needs a bit of a break and something new to excite players. On the other hand, as a game with a tournament scene that Nintendo supports, I don't know if Nintendo would want Splatoon 3 on Switch to be the game players are using in tournaments until Splatoon 4 releases in 2027-2028 after Animal Crossing has had its time. So, I'm thinking this project could be Splatoon 4, could be a Switch 2 Splatoon 3 enhancement patch, or could be a spin-off (with the enhancement patch still coming and maybe launching around the same time).

EDIT: Oh, and a Splatoon musou or rhythm would be cool, too.

they can always rely on Monolith Soft.

But there's always a chance that this title might be a small spin-off game, like i genuinely believe that Animal Crossing is seen as a big priority since it's became into one of the biggest Nintendo IP overnight.

Like i wouldn't be surprised if the game will have a bigger focus on the live service and DLC, since selling to a potential 30M+ DLC is huge
New Horizons being the second best selling Switch game absolutely makes it a priority for Switch 2.

But the Japanese market LOVES Splatoon. I can't see there being a long wait for that franchise either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom