• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My current prediction is:
August: either nothing, Rhythm Heaven, eShop Kirby game or a Hagi port;
September: Fire Emblem 4 Remake;
October: 2D Zelda(or whatever the game starring Zelda is), Mario Party;
November: Metroid Prime 4
December: either nothing, Tomodachi Life sequel or Golden Sun Trilogy reboot(Way Forward)

I think they save DK for the September Direct and it comes by spring/summer 2025 as a cross gen title. I don't rule out it coming this fall instead and Metroid Prime 4 gets pushed to 2025 as a cross gen game. I think they give the November spot to Prime 4 the same way they gave it to Super Mario RPG last year, with Wonder coming in October.

From those, I think Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem remake, Hi-Fi Rush (yeah...), (no) new Star Fox and no new Nintendogs are fairly likely.

I'd swap Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD for a new 2D Zelda/an spin off starring Zelda. I think they won't release them as a double pack, but we get something like Twilight Princess Remastered first and then Wind Waker Definitive Edition.

Tbh I thought she'd be playable on Tears of the Kingdom from the moment the first teaser was shown. Moreso because during 2016 Aonuma said they thought about having Zelda playable instead of Link when asked about the rumors of a female Link.

The "maybe" by Aonuma surely feels like "we're making one right now ☺️☺️" seeing his past.

I can't get over he saying that he wanted to make a game where you play as a thief in 2016 only for it to be Link's Awakening lol. Also there's the concert thing about teasing Skyward Sword(when it was barely entering development?) and then dismissing it.

I think they'll get that early/mid Switch 2's life. It might even be cross gen like in expecting most remasters and remakes to be(and I even believe Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door was meant to be...).
A new 3D Zelda is 2027 at the earliest, so I think the feast of either 2025 or 2026 is the Ocarina of Time remake. I think it's gonna be pretty much like Metroid Prime Remastered and The Thousand Year Door, not a reimagining like FF VII.

I think this year they have the 2D Zelda and next year they go big with Ocarina of Time remake as a launch window title for Switch 2.
hopefully ww definitive edition gets rid of the bloom and overall worse illumination

hopefully ww definitive edition gets rid of the bloom and overall worse illumination
Tbh I think the bloom and new lighting made it look super beautiful, unlike Twilight Princess HD.
I think it's definitive edition being pretty much WW HD with 60FPS and maybe a side story.

The bloom in Wind Waker HD just makes me think of "NINTENDO HIRE THIS MAN" videos. Completely overshadows the original art direction and blows out the colours. Yeah Wind Waker GC looks flatter, but that's the point, to look more 2D. BotW and TotK had a much better implementation of more realistic lighting in a cel shaded world, where in WWHD everything in daytime is absolutely blinding. It's probably directly why BotW and TotK are generally much hazier and more muted in colours. Feels like a tech demo rather than actually improving the art direction with new hardware, which it kinda was.
1000px-Dragon_Roost_Island.png
2238469-701110_20130917_004.jpg

So when do we expect the Ocarina of Time remake to hit?

Anouma totally hinted to it in an interview a few months ago.
How does Nintendo feel about the idea of a Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time remake? Game Informer spoke to Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma to find out. While no one expected Aonuma to actually share details or plans on what’s next for Zelda, did laugh in response to the question, and then playfully followed up by saying, “No comment!”
Reminds me of Masuda and Ohmori when asked about Pokemon Snap sequel in 2019

The bloom in Wind Waker HD just makes me think of "NINTENDO HIRE THIS MAN" videos. Completely overshadows the original art direction and blows out the colours. Yeah Wind Waker GC looks flatter, but that's the point, to look more 2D. BotW and TotK had a much better implementation of more realistic lighting in a cel shaded world, where in WWHD everything in daytime is absolutely blinding. It's probably directly why BotW and TotK are generally much hazier and more muted in colours. Feels like a tech demo rather than actually improving the art direction with new hardware, which it kinda was.
1000px-Dragon_Roost_Island.png
2238469-701110_20130917_004.jpg
I still think I prefer the look of HD

I never got the complaints about WWHD personally. I always thought it was at-worst a "side grade" but the way you hear people talk about it you'd think it was more like:

pg-34-botched-job-1-ap.jpg

Mark me down as thinking WWHD is gorgeous, and that the bloom actually helps.

I'm literally at the beach right now and lemme tell yall, nothing makes beachy/oceany stuff feel immersive and realistic quite like bright glare making you squint at everything

This is probably our last chance to get Pikmin 4 and/or Mario Wonder DLC, right? Here's to hoping. I really, really want a winter area in Pikmin 4 and more Mario Wonder levels.

People kind of gloss over "Metroid Prime 4" in these prediction threads like it's not gonna be probably a top 3 all time Switch game and maybe game of the year.
It has a 40/60 chance of coming out this year, while games like Fire Emblem and Zelda ports are far more likely.

Some Nintendo fans don't care about anything other than Mario and Zelda. I've learned to just accept it for what it is.
You're on the wrong forum to be saying this lol, if Mario didn't have games coming out every 2.5 seconds Metroid would be talked about more.

People kind of gloss over "Metroid Prime 4" in these prediction threads like it's not gonna be probably a top 3 all time Switch game and maybe game of the year.

I don't care about Metroid personally. Just never gotten into the series. That may change though. I'm not a fan of games played from a first person perspective, though. So perhaps I ought to try the 2D entries instead.

Metroid gets talked about all the time and it's a game that was first announced 7 years ago with 0 details since then. For a lot of us there's just nothing to talk about there

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, it just seems weird from the datamined content late last year to have in-game shirts indicating PS, Switch and Steam, but then only seemingly coming forward with the PS port (did it end up releasing on Steam?)

Not that I know game development; I just thought if they can make lil extra freebies like this, they would have already put in the legwork in porting the game already before finding out Switch 1 couldn't run it and push it to Switch 2, but if that's the case and the code is half finished, could they eat that expense with no ROE unless like you said some other port studio comes in to finish the job and recoup some costs?
Switch version was rated on pegi a few weeks ago

I don't want to be a doomer, but let's wait until the game comes out before claiming it will be a masterpiece.

Retro definitely has the technical side on lock if Remastered is anything to go by... But they haven't made a new game in more than 10 years.

Nintendo added excessive bloom to Wind Waker HD to fire up the art style discourse again in order to distract people from the other issues the game has. Wake up, sheeple!

Nintendo added excessive bloom to Wind Waker HD to fire up the art style discourse again in order to distract people from the other issues the game has. Wake up, sheeple!
Oh believe me I love the gameplay changes to Wind Waker HD. I just wish I liked it better artistically, it's just probably the one Zelda remake I'm torn on visually, maybe because I accept MM3D as more of it's own thing cause it does something different than using all the exact same models from the original. I'm of the opinion though that a lot of Nintendo's early WiiU output did not visually age super well and just feel like "wow look at these modern realistic effects we can do now!" before they toned stuff back to more reasonable levels, not just Wind Waker.

Wind Waker HD reminds me a lot of why I prefer the visuals of Guilty Gear Xrd and DBFZ over Strive, I just think the flatter lighting just works better for the cel shaded visual style, even though I think some areas of WWHD look pretty good!

Switch version was rated on pegi a few weeks ago
I believe it was rated in Brazil as well? But maybe I'm misremembering.

I just think there's way too much smoke here for there to be nothing. Both Hi-Fi Rush and Red Dead Redemption 2 feel like ports that will just randomly be dropped on a Direct or maybe even after Switch 2 comes out, but will get released since they got so much work put into them.

Please give me a new 2D Zelda.

I'm pretty empty on predictions but third party wise, I think it's safe to expect some news on Layton, Decapolice and the one which I'm most excited about: new Rune Factory.

I don't care about Metroid personally. Just never gotten into the series. That may change though. I'm not a fan of games played from a first person perspective, though. So perhaps I ought to try the 2D entries instead.

You definitely should. Some of the best experiences I had in my gaming life right there.

(I mean the 2D games, I didn't enjoy MP)

It isn't though, the company has a bunch of new devs now.
Eh, a few veterans are still there and some rejoined around the time Prime 4 restarted at Retro. Some of the senior staff of Tropical Freeze, including a director, one of the art leads and the design lead are all still there and probably involved in Prime 4 at a senior level.

There'll be a lot of new staff, sure, but experienced people who had important roles in past success stories are still there.

Boy are the "wind waker HD visuals suck" people going to get annoying when it turns out it will be 1 to 1 from the wiiu version for the switch and/or switch 2 ports with at most a 60fps boost

I can't recommend the series enough. I will say the Prime games are still Metroidvanias first and foremost, and shooters a distant second, so they may still be worth your time; but also yeah, the 2D games are probably a good place to start. Zero Mission is both chronologically earliest and made to be an ideal entry point to the series. I'd still say to give Prime a shot after that to see if you vibe with it, then from there go on to either Prime 2, (my personal favorite!) or skip ahead in the timeline back to the 2D entries with AM2R or Samus Returns.

Either that, or try original NES Metroid and go in release order, if you have a tolerance for older game design and Nintento Hard difficulty. That way, you can get acquainted with the series through its mechanical evolution.

Just whatever you do, don't start with Super or Dread. Both of them are VERY good games, but I've noticed people who start there tend to have a harder time enjoying and appreciating the rest of the series, compared to coming into them from other entries.

Last edited:
Eh, a few veterans are still there and some rejoined around the time Prime 4 restarted at Retro. Some of the senior staff of Tropical Freeze, including a director, one of the art leads and the design lead are all still there and probably involved in Prime 4 at a senior level.

There'll be a lot of new staff, sure, but experienced people who had important roles in past success stories are still there.
Further to that, just because there is new blood, it doesn't necessarily mean the companies design ethos has changed.
The one thing we do know about MP4, beyond any shadow of doubt, is that it'll be a masterpiece. And heck if you don't trust Retro because they haven't released a game for ten years, trust that Nintendo won't let it be anything less than spectacular. Shit they threw out over a year of development because it didn't meet expectations.

Just whatever you do, don't start with Super or Dread. Both of them are VERY good games, but I've noticed people who start there tend to have a harder time enjoying and appreciating the rest of the series, compared to coming into them from other entries.
This is exactly why I think I've always thought Super could use a remake despite a lot of folks say that it's already perfect. I think how revered it is causes it to be a lot of people's first experience, and a lot of folks seem to struggle with it. I don't think you need to change too much to make it more accessible either.

That's an interesting opinion, I would say most newcomers into the series start with Super. That was my case as well in 2014 and I was mind blown, it's still my favorite.

I recently introduced a casual gamer friend of mine who never played much besides Mario and Donkey Kong on the SNES to Super Metroid, and when he finished it, he said it's his favorite game ever. He said he never expected a videogame could be so immersive and intricate.

again? Ocarina of Time was already remade on 3DS back in 2011.
It’s now been longer since the 3DS remake than the gap between the original game and the remake.

Ocarina of Time is absolutely a game that is important and iconic enough to be remade again. And it’s never been in HD.

This is probably our last chance to get Pikmin 4 and/or Mario Wonder DLC, right? Here's to hoping. I really, really want a winter area in Pikmin 4 and more Mario Wonder levels.
also last change to see Metroid Prime 4, june Direct will be deadline, if MP4 release on Switch, or is cross-gen

Don't think we'll see DLC for Pikmin 4 or Mario Wonder. The best time to sell DLC is usually at launch. A surprising amount of studios, not just Nintendo, last year released games with no DLC. If you're not a live service or multiplayer game, it seems like companies are going to the route of either not doing DLC at all or doing big expansions, which sometimes can be sold stand alone. I think the Pikmin and Mario development teams are moving onto their next big projects. Could be wrong of course and it would be a nice surprised but if I had to guess, I say no DLC.

That's an interesting opinion, I would say most newcomers into the series start with Super. That was my case as well in 2014 and I was mind blown, it's still my favorite.

I recently introduced a casual gamer friend of mine who never played much besides Mario and Donkey Kong on the SNES to Super Metroid, and when he finished it, he said it's his favorite game ever. He said he never expected a videogame could be so immersive and intricate.
I'm not arguing against Super's quality in the slightest. I have some personal gripes with it, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't objectively an excellent game. Because it is an objectively excellent game.

I'm just saying that there are people who have started there and gone on to enjoy the rest of the series, but I've also seen plenty of people start there... and then also stop there, because most of the other games feel different in various ways or are trying to accomplish different things, particularly Fusion. (I would also recommend against starting with Fusion for similar reasons from the other end, but it gets pushed as an "entry" Metroid game way less than Super is in the first place.)

(And Dread has the slightly different but adjacent problem, of being so modern and advanced that going back to the older games from there is more difficult.)

I feel like Zero Mission is a better starting point because it's in a middle ground between its predecessor's sensibilities, without being lightyears ahead of them like Dread. So from that basis, it's easier to appreciate both Super and Fusion when you get to them, because of the elements ZM has in common with both, despite how different they are from each other. (And I say this as someone who didn't entirely vibe with ZM myself, but I do still think it is a good entry point to the 2D style.)

Last edited:
This belong more to Switch 2 thread but as by mid 2025 it will be 2 years since TOTK released, I can see Nintendo dropping a 3D Zelda teaser for Switch 2 (new game, Ocarina remake or why not both lol)

This belong more to Switch 2 thread but as by mid 2025 it will be 2 years since TOTK released, I can see Nintendo dropping a 3D Zelda teaser for Switch 2 (new game, Ocarina remake or why not both lol)
Would make sense and would make for a good tech demo of what the Switch 2 graphics is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom