• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t know if it’s just because I didn’t play much Splatoon 2 but I never skip the splatcast or whatever it’s called. Annoys me as well that it starts in the background if you’re in the lobby when maps change because I always miss the start then.
fun fact, if it's running in the background you can go to their window and watch it in real time

Is there anything I'm missing about just making Tricolor matches happen within the same team? I had enough Team Gear vs Team Gear regular Splatfest matchups. Would have been nice to randomly get Tricolor matches as well - get a chance to see what it's like to defend too.
If you take away the clout, things get weird for attackers. Normally, priority 1 is overthrowing the defenders, priority 2 is securing ultra signals, with winning yourself being a lowly priority 3. In a theoretical one team match, your only real goal is winning - but because it's (supposed to be) balanced around the defenders winning about 50% of the time, the individual attacking teams only have a 25% chance each. It's not a great fit.

Still, would've been nice to play it at all...

I don't know how I feel about all the modes having a shared rank. Even in higher ranks it's pretty clear people don't really know how to play Clam Blitz. It feels like a free win most of the time, and I'll often see the other team matches or even surpasses us in kills and still loses. I've had some blowout games against teams that seemed just as good as my team. It's a lot less fun when it's unbalanced like that.

I don't know how I feel about all the modes having a shared rank. Even in higher ranks it's pretty clear people don't really know how to play Clam Blitz. It feels like a free win most of the time, and I'll often see the other team matches or even surpasses us in kills and still loses. I've had some blowout games against teams that seemed just as good as my team. It's a lot less fun when it's unbalanced like that.
Splatoon 2 had split rank per mode, which is why I was S on everything but B- in Clam Blitz. I think that's more of a problem with Clam Blitz being very different in what it asks of players than the other modes.

I'm withholding judgement on the ranking system until X-battles are out. I've a feeling it's supposed to be more accessible than X rank was in Splatoon 2, and there's a lot of room to change matchmaking and such for it. X-power could even be separate per mode again if they want.

I'm already confident it'll work well enough for players like me who were X rank before, but if you need to be that good to get there again then many are only left with Anarchy which is a bit flawed by itself. Still, I'll personally appreciate Anarchy as a more serious environment for me to take weapons I'm trying to learn without messing with my X-power. Regular battles were too casual for that.

Yea. I like shared rank since X rank should change that. I also hate Clam Blitz and want to avoid it as much as possible.

shared rank was an abysmal change

even if matchmaking is based on hidden factors it communicates something very wrong to players

Splatoon 2 had split rank per mode, which is why I was S on everything but B- in Clam Blitz. I think that's more of a problem with Clam Blitz being very different in what it asks of players than the other modes.
I love Clam Blitz and I wanna play with people who know how to play. Splatoon 2 did this better so far I think.

And Splatoon 3 is one of the most balanced games out there.
I kinda disagree with this. After the launch rush and feels, I'm finding myself constantly thinking about the Splatoon 2 meta and its stability, and how I wouldn't mind going back (even after +4000 hours).
And don't get me wrong, I think Splatoon 3 is clearly superior, but I don't think the game is that well balanced. Not yet (Salmon Run and Splatfest included). The game really needed more development time to test things, but I'm sure the developers will iron the balance and other details out once they get more game data from players.

I feel like pure shit

WOW! I'm always amazed by charger users and their ability to quickly react and move the camera 🤯

Shiver is just a way nicer design, in my opinion. She is easily my favorite, tho I do not vote just cuz I prefer her, I vote for the Team I prefer each time, so I can be on all the teams. But Shiver is just the best of the three Queens.
Big Man is great, but he does feel 'off' being so different from all the other usual main hosts, I wonder how much that changes stuff.
I will say, Big Man aside, I do not feel as strong distinct personalities from Shiver and Frye yet, compared to Callie vs Marie and Pearl v Marina.
I think, stuff like the lack of unique dialouge for each Stage they introduce, just makes less of their characters actually stick out
I think this is because two things:
1) News being skippable now (and broadcasting several stages/modes at once), so their dialogs are somewhat more generic and fast. Pearl and Marina had unique things to say about each stage/mode.
2) The writer/translator/localizer who was in charge of all of Pearl and Marina's lines (Eric Smith) no longer works at Nintendo (he's now at 343 Industries), and it shows, IMO.

I love Clam Blitz and I wanna play with people who know how to play. Splatoon 2 did this better so far I think.
I'm beginning to love it a bit more in 3, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm theorizing whatever changes they did to the UI make everyone's map awareness slightly better. It's still the most different mode compared to the other three, since the objective is a bit more... scattered, so to speak, there's no single element you can rally towards to win, but more to do in general to score.

And don't get me wrong, I think Splatoon 3 is clearly superior, but I don't think the game is that well balanced. Not yet (Salmon Run and Splatfest included). The game really needed more development time to test things, but I'm sure the developers will iron the balance and other details out once they get more game data from players.
3 definitely needs a couple balance patches to get to where 2 was, yeah. I'd say it starts out better than the previous games did, but it's not close to "stable" at all.

I'm beginning to love it a bit more in 3, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm theorizing whatever changes they did to the UI make everyone's map awareness slightly better. It's still the most different mode compared to the other three, since the objective is a bit more... scattered, so to speak, there's no single element you can rally towards to win, but more to do in general to score.

3 definitely needs a couple balance patches to get to where 2 was, yeah. I'd say it starts out better than the previous games did, but it's not close to "stable" at all.
Clam Blitz itself is fine in 3, just the shared ranking system makes much more sense in 2. My Clam win ratio is so high compared to the other modes just because I don't think people play this too much. Matchmaking would work better with separate ranks I think.

Clam Blitz itself is fine in 3, just the shared ranking system makes much more sense in 2. My Clam win ratio is so high compared to the other modes just because I don't think people play this too much. Matchmaking would work better with separate ranks I think.
IIRC matchmaking doesn't take your actual rank into account, but some hidden ELO values that likely are separate per mode. That said, grain of salt because I've read so many information about how this works that it just turns into an info smoothie in my brain.

With that said, matchmaking is also likely going to take some time to stabilize in 3, just because of returning players with very high skill levels starting at the same rank at people with way lower skill levels; and the save data importing not being granular enough to address this.

I'm convinced the game tries to put backlines on the same team. Whenever I play chargers or splatlings or anything, I always get another one on my team, but when I play frontline I get 3 short range weapons as teammates

IIRC matchmaking doesn't take your actual rank into account, but some hidden ELO values that likely are separate per mode. That said, grain of salt because I've read so many information about how this works that it just turns into an info smoothie in my brain.

With that said, matchmaking is also likely going to take some time to stabilize in 3, just because of returning players with very high skill levels starting at the same rank at people with way lower skill levels; and the save data importing not being granular enough to address this.
So A rank and S rank players can play together? That was never the case in 1 and 2.

I got called out by the game for having 190 hours already...

unknown.png

One boss down in campaign mode. Only lost one life, so that's a win in my book. I thought for sure it would take me multiple attempts. It seems the game is very forgiving?

So A rank and S rank players can play together? That was never the case in 1 and 2.
I've definitely seen A and S rank players in ranked matches in 2. 1 was a different case because S was the post-launch added extra rank (What would be X in 2 and 3, basically), and that gets different considerations in matchmaking. But I definitely saw A and S shoved together in 2.

I've definitely seen A and S rank players in ranked matches in 2. 1 was a different case because S was the post-launch added extra rank (What would be X in 2 and 3, basically), and that gets different considerations in matchmaking. But I definitely saw A and S shoved together in 2.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen that. I thought ranks are just supposed to play with those at their same rank. Otherwise what's the point? I've never played with anyone a rank below me ever.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen that. I thought ranks are just supposed to play with those at their same rank. Otherwise what's the point? I've never played with anyone a rank below me ever.
But you've played with people with ranks above you at some point, right? Because that means there's someone in the other side playing with ranks below theirs.

Ultimately, you have to keep in mind:
  • Matchmaking doesn't use your rank, but some hidden ELO value
  • People of your same rank and hidden ELO are not going to be available to be matched with you always

But you've played with people with ranks above you at some point, right? Because that means there's someone in the other side playing with ranks below theirs.

Ultimately, you have to keep in mind:
  • Matchmaking doesn't use your rank, but some hidden ELO value
  • People of your same rank and hidden ELO are not going to be available to be matched with you always
I've never played with anyone above my rank either, granted I'm X rank in every mode. I never played anyone above my rank on my way there though.

I've never played with anyone above my rank either, granted I'm X rank in every mode. I never played anyone above my rank on my way there though.
I mean if you're Rank X it would be hard to play above your rank, yes :p

But before you get there, it's not uncommon for it to happen. Especially like, finding A- people when you're B+, and the like.

I mean if you're Rank X it would be hard to play above your rank, yes :p

But before you get there, it's not uncommon for it to happen. Especially like, finding A- people when you're B+, and the like.

This states otherwise, and like I said, I've never seen it and obviously I've played a lot of Splatoon 2. I'm pretty sure you can't get matched with someone outside of your letter grade as stated here.

Otherwise there is no point in the grade. That's how it separates players based on skill. I think you might be misremembering things.

Edit - added another source, had to look it up to make sure I wasn't going crazy

I'm convinced the game tries to put backlines on the same team. Whenever I play chargers or splatlings or anything, I always get another one on my team, but when I play frontline I get 3 short range weapons as teammates

Today, I tried to play Hydra and EVERY game I got two backliner teammates with me. It was awful. I said FINE, I will play stupid Sloshing Machine. No backliners in my first Sloshing Machine game >_>

Can I just mention about splatfest that Mirror weapon matching (the game tires to match you with the weapon based on your team) is the least fun way to match ever, matches were way less exciting becuase of it, made even worse by the fact so many shooter players were about. (its me im the shooter players)

2) The writer/translator/localizer who was in charge of all of Pearl and Marina's lines (Eric Smith) no longer works at Nintendo (he's now at 343 Industries), and it shows, IMO.
Prior to release I was wondering if this would effect the quality of the idol dialogue. I like the designs and ideas behind all three but their dialogue (what little of it I’ve seen so far) does feel a bit dry.

You also mentioned this in point one but I’ve been sitting through the stage dialogue and it doesn’t seem like they have much to say, which is disappointing.

This states otherwise, and like I said, I've never seen it and obviously I've played a lot of Splatoon 2. I'm pretty sure you can't get matched with someone outside of your letter grade as stated here.

Otherwise there is no point in the grade. That's how it separates players based on skill. I think you might be misremembering things.

Edit - added another source, had to look it up to make sure I wasn't going crazy
I can back up @Tangerine_Cookie , I definitely encountered battling people + or - 2 ranks above and below me in matchmaking in prior games. If I was B+ for example, I’d often be matched with both B ranks and A- ranks in the same match. It wouldn’t go beyond that range however, so I wouldn’t see an A- in B- for example.

...I'm just happy that I get to be in A- Rank without having to play Clam Blitz, lol

I'm also trying to learn the Inkbrush for Turf War and it's a fun weapon! Perfect for sneaking behind enemy lines and causing chaos with the Killer Wail 5.1!

I can back up @Tangerine_Cookie , I definitely encountered battling people + or - 2 ranks above and below me in matchmaking in prior games. If I was B+ for example, I’d often be matched with both B ranks and A- ranks in the same match. It wouldn’t go beyond that range however, so I wouldn’t see an A- in B- for example.
Yea its been awhile since I played Splatoon 2 but mixing of ranks is definitely a thing since Splatoon 1.
If you all say so, I've definitely never seen or heard of that until now. Even Nintendo says this wont happen in Splatoon 2 so it must be a lack of players or something. I'm pretty sure the game is still matchmaking based on rank.

That is very helpful, thank you kindly c: I will certainly give it a try then, at least.
I have thousands of hours in Splatoon overall, I'd say I am pretty good at managing stuff, but I played VERY little Ranked in either the last two games, so I guess I just struggle to adapt to these modes. But I wanna do more variety, so I will see how it goes.
Thank you~
Something I should add, when you're starting out in series, you get bonuses to your points for every gold and silver trophy you get so even if you lose 3 games, you probably will get out ahead in points. It starts getting lower and lower and your w/l ratio starts mattering more the higher you rank but for starting out don't worry too much if you're losing. Just playing the game and engaging is usually enough to get you a net gain in points.

Something I should add, when you're starting out in series, you get bonuses to your points for every gold and silver trophy you get so even if you lose 3 games, you probably will get out ahead in points. It starts getting lower and lower and your w/l ratio starts mattering more the higher you rank but for starting out don't worry too much if you're losing. Just playing the game and engaging is usually enough to get you a net gain in points.
That is also very helpful, thank you kindly c: That sounds good. I often get too demoralized when I lose a lot, even if I know it is no bid deal, so I probably exhoust myself more easily with these more 'competetive' modes.
But I will try to just play for fun and now worry too much about it. Maybe I'll get into the groove better if I manage to stick with it.
Thank you. c:

If you all say so, I've definitely never seen or heard of that until now. Even Nintendo says this wont happen in Splatoon 2 so it must be a lack of players or something. I'm pretty sure the game is still matchmaking based on rank.

The game definitely is matchmaking based on rank. It's just that it's not the single criteria there, and sometimes it has to go above or below your actual rank to get you in a game, because there's not always going to be people exactly around your same rank available, yeah.

The game definitely is matchmaking based on rank. It's just that it's not the single criteria there, and sometimes it has to go above or below your actual rank to get you in a game, because there's not always going to be people exactly around your same rank available, yeah.
I wonder if they consolidated the ranks for this reason in the future. It always did take a while to find Clam Blitz matches at higher ranks in Splatoon 2. I definitely prefer the old method for now but maybe this one will work out. I feel like a bully playing clam, but the other modes I tend to get a lot of close battles.

Fuuuck High Tide Spawning Grounds. I can beat it but man is it hard on Eggsecutive. It REALLY demands that one or two people do nothing but murder Bosses constantly and the others perfectly damages Cohozuna constantly.

Failed many times earlier cuz of Flyfish spawning in you-know-where and any time someone went there to take care of it, they died.

Gotta be honest, with netcode like this, I don't think Splatoon 3 is a competitively viable game. We'd straight up have to set smash-like restrictions on online tournaments (proof of LAN adapter + region specific tournaments) to make things work if Nintendo doesn't improve it.

I wish this game would take me put of S rank i always feel like my team would do so much better without me even if we win

I'm arriving fashionably late to this thread, but really nice work on the OP @Lucyfer !

kmFDZm0.gif

I picked the game up a couple weeks ago, didn't get a chance to play the first week I owned it due to life, but I've managed to get more time in with it and I'm really thinking this is the time I stick with the game.

Not sure exactly what's changed but at least as far as Turf War is concerned I feel like I'm playing better than I did in 1 or 2. I think I finally internalized that Super Jumping out of spawn = death 99% of the time and I seem to be going "tilt" a lot less often. Maybe it's just age or the fact that not everyone else is rolling with 3 star gear that's been min/maxed to hell and back.

I still have to work on movement and camera control though. I just don't have a good way to handle when I need to turn around quickly and trying to multi-task with using the stick for large camera movements while using the gyro for fine tuning is something I struggle with.

Still need to check out Salmon Run but the CCG is legit good stuff. No thoughts yet on Hero mode, only done a few levels so far but so far so Splatoon.

Last thought: It's absolutely insane how this series is on it's third iteration and is likely now one of Nintendo's main pillars (if the JP sales are any indication of the global performance) in less than a decade.

I finally made it to the highest Rank in Salmon Run
On Spawning Grounds of all places.
There is so much stuff on High Tide on that Stage at the same time that the switch starts to lag like crazy at times, haha
Cohozuna keeps being impossible tho. I did SO much damage on it. It was nearly dead.
Then time is over
And I got, like, 5 Bronze

Gotta be honest, with netcode like this, I don't think Splatoon 3 is a competitively viable game. We'd straight up have to set smash-like restrictions on online tournaments (proof of LAN adapter + region specific tournaments) to make things work if Nintendo doesn't improve it.
Even ignoring the dropout the lag and hit detection really is bothersome sometimes. It's manageable but I really hate when my character just explodes for no visible reason. I know the other player attacked me on their screen but sometimes it's like...not at all visible to me.

It's funny when I recognize other Splatoon 2 X rank players in lobbies. For some I could even predict what weapons they'd be playing.

Also, heads up, you can now jump back to your base in clam blitz without losing your clams

Back
Top Bottom