• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I was a lot more efficient playing Salmon Run in Splatoon 2, but now I'm also egg throwing a bit too much. In my defense it's mainly because I go after the eggs at the edges of the map because some teammates can't bother waiting for some bosses to get closer then ignore the eggs for the next boss. I just throw them over the walls and hope someone there takes them to the basket.

Yes, give me losing emotes! I want to see my inkling spiral into complete despair or a raging fury.

I want my inkling to question his life choices!

wtf is this requirement for gold lmao that's like at least 10 thousands of hours of pure salmon run only gameplay 💀
unknown.png

lol yeah if it takes you 20 minutes to get 600 points (which is probably a bit generous considering matchmaking time, losses, etc) that'd take over 5,500 hours/like 230 days in the mode.
maybe big runs pay out drastically higher points or otherwise they'll almost definitely bump it down eventually

wtf is this requirement for gold lmao that's like at least 10 thousands of hours of pure salmon run only gameplay 💀
unknown.png

I don't think you're meant to collect every single badge to be fair, seems like one of those badges you might get in 2 years if you're an avid Salmon Run player, but people who play other things won't get it

I goofed around with a hydra today and realized how bad most stages are. In splat zone at least, unless the other team has a very, very competent charger, it was borderline impossible for them to win. I'm not even good with the hydra. Short range weapons have it rough in Splatoon 3, and I don't think there's an easy fix.
I also touched again the 96gal. When rng cooperates, it's really one of the funnest weapon in the game.

As a Hydra main this definitely hasn't been my experience lol. Chargers aren't much of a problem besides the E-Liter, the real threat is when shooters or rollers stop obsessively trying to ink the zone and actually come after me for once. If you just let me sit off to the side unmolested inking the zone yeah you're gonna have a bad time lol. Some stages are basically free (Scorch Gorge) but others like Eeltail Alley or Undertow Spillway are pretty damn rough for Hydra in Zones. I hardly feel like some unstoppable beast, a lot of players just need to be more strategically flexible.

Ver. 1.2.1 (Released October 27, 2022)

Fixes to Multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue in Rainmaker that caused the player who placed the Rainmaker on a checkpoint to appear motionless to other players.
  • Fixed an issue in Rainmaker where the goal distance count would go to 1 even when the Rainmaker had not reached the goal.
  • Fixed an issue where, if you got on an inkrail while using the Inkjet or Zipcaster, allies Super Jumping towards you would land at the start point of the inkrail instead of the intended location.
Note: Battle replays are compatible with Ver. 1.2.0 but are not compatible with Ver. 1.1.2 and before.

Gonna hold out hope for 1.2.2 to release with a fix for the crash after communication error in Grizzco.

Update is live, maintenance is done.

Nothing more fun than playing against Japanese players with 3 Run Speed Up as main abilities and several subs + N-ZAP where they just sliiiiiiiide through the whole map like if it was ice :p

my first two rounds of the salmon run rotation were complete disasters so now I can't play anymore without losing progress

getting kind of sick of all of this game's rank systems

Something going on with this Salmon Run rotation or my Switch is pining for the fjords. Game is slowing to a crawl sooner than the usual stage of overcrowding I've come to expect is even reached.

Something going on with this Salmon Run rotation or my Switch is pining for the fjords. Game is slowing to a crawl sooner than the usual stage of overcrowding I've come to expect is even reached.
my OLED's fan has been screaming more recently

my first two rounds of the salmon run rotation were complete disasters so now I can't play anymore without losing progress

getting kind of sick of all of this game's rank systems
Let go of the ranks. If you drop back, it's because you might not be entirely ready yet for that rank. Drop down a rank, practice more there, then get back into the old rank to see if you've gotten better. When you're not playing, because you're afraid of losing your rank, you certainly won't get any better. Ranks aren't there to only go up in, they're there to show your skill level. And if your skill level is hovering between 2 ranks, you should be hovering between those 2 ranks as well.

At least that's my attitude towards it. I hope that makes some sense.

Let go of the ranks. If you drop back, it's because you might not be entirely ready yet for that rank. Drop down a rank, practice more there, then get back into the old rank to see if you've gotten better. When you're not playing, because you're afraid of losing your rank, you certainly won't get any better. Ranks aren't there to only go up in, they're there to show your skill level. And if your skill level is hovering between 2 ranks, you should be hovering between those 2 ranks as well.

At least that's my attitude towards it. I hope that makes some sense.
That doesn't apply for pro or EVP ranks( depending on your skill) though, you'll really be hindered by randoms.
At some point you just need to drop random play and get in groups, be it friends or discord.

When should we expect a patch with actual balance changes? I don't care about anything more than a nerf for glowflies rounds, I can't take i anymore, so tired of wiping on those, I imagine they should be easy with the ???? swift but it shouldn't be pretty much luck dependent whether you can clear those rounds or not, like 4 times I've been able to not wipe on it after all this days.

When should we expect a patch with actual balance changes? I don't care about anything more than a nerf for glowflies rounds, I can't take i anymore, so tired of wiping on those, I imagine they should be easy with the ???? swift but it shouldn't be pretty much luck dependent whether you can clear those rounds or not, like 4 times I've been able to not wipe on it after all this days.
Next season (which starts December 1st)

going through my stats and noticed something horrible

wahoo world (rainmaker): 100%
wahoo world (tower control): 100%
wahoo world (splat zones): 80%

this does not reflect well on me

going through my stats and noticed something horrible

wahoo world (rainmaker): 100%
wahoo world (tower control): 100%
wahoo world (splat zones): 80%

this does not reflect well on me

Let me in on your secret, Wahoo World Master Strategist.

In exchange I will share how "This one trick will skyrocket your win-rate on on Undertow Spillway!" (no clickbait)

Let me in on your secret, Wahoo World Master Strategist.

In exchange I will share how "This one trick will skyrocket your win-rate on on Undertow Spillway!" (no clickbait)
hey, undertow is my worst map!

honestly for as little as I play it's just got to be luck, right? maybe I'm unconsciously a little better at positioning over the chokepoints because they're so egregious

sorry for the triple post, but did they straight up get rid of Smokin'? it's just fresh now for me

Grizzco Blaster proposed and I said yes

We're having the ceremony at Spawning Grounds. No one replied to the RSVP yet??

Why is Grizzco Blaster so funny

Also yeah, my Switch did slow-down during Glowflies today which was weird and never happened before

Also noticed more frame drops in Salmon Run

• need money to upgrade super cool gear, already spent Salmon Run money
  • every single Anarchy rotation until shop reset is absolute dogshit
  • decide to play anyway because I want 3 slot bandana
  • Tetra vs Liter on Fucking Metalworks Zones
  • internal screams of horror, rage and depression
  • sanity levels so low after the match I open Turf War 1st time since launch
  • even on the best map this mode is still even worse than Fucking Metalworks Zones

Finally played salmon mode and it’s amazing. It’s like crack, couldn’t stop playing until my switch lite died lol. We beat that Cohuzuna??? In emergency wave and my switch died lol. This is probably the best multiplayer game I have played.

why is turf war bad
it's so heavily dependent on the last thirty seconds

it's obviously a great casual multiplayer experience but to the sweats in this thread it might as well be mario party lmao

they aren't wrong either, turf war is bullshit (I do love it though)

Splatoon wouldn't be where it is today without Turf War. That mode, more than any other, clarifies the game's defining characteristics and core appeal.

I want to be X rank in Turf War. I actually think I could more reliably rank up in Turf War than in Clam Blitz and a good number of Rainmaker & Tower Control maps.

I don't think I posted it here but this was my idea for a modified Tri-color being a Ranked mode:

After playing Tri-Color, I think a remodified version of it would make a great mode. A game called Naruto: Shinobi Striker has a mode (that needs work imo) called Barrier Battles where you have an attacking team and a team defending a giant frog. To summarize that Barrier Battles quickly:

The defending team has to stop the others from lifting the pillars and attacking Gamakichi - defeating an attacker will drop 10 seconds off the timer. The match ends if the timer runs out, or the attacking team beat Gamakichi.

There could be a ranked version of Tri-Color would play similar to that Barrier Battles. Like Tri-color, there would be an attack and defending team placed in the same spawn points they would be in a tricolor match. The attacking and defending teams are selected at random.

The attacking team would have to make it to mid and claim the beacon. Claiming a beacon DOES NOT summon a sprinkler in this mode. Instead, it counts towards your total goal of 3-4 beacons. The attacking team has to claim the beacon 3-4 times (whichever amount is ideal for balance) to win the mode. If additional balance is needed, you can even force everyone to return to spawn everytime a beacon is claimed unless there is a minute or less left.

The defending team has to defend the beacon spot. Every kill the defending team gets reduces the 5 minute clock by 10s. If further balance is required, the maximum the attacking team can reduce is 120-180s and time can not be reduced if there is only 30-60s remaining.

This is my idea, as I actually enjoyed Tri-color from a competitive aspect and as a person that dislikes Turf Wars. Unfortunately, Tri-color has its own flaws that still needs work so I don't know if my idea could work as a mode.

I'm scrub. turf war fun

I've played like 80 hours of splat 3 and have been watching instructional videos and pro players and I'm still absolute dogshit. It's like proof I can't learn lmao

Scorch Gorge splat zones is the worst I swear. It's like they looked at Inkblot Art Academy and were like "let's see how we can make this even shittier"

Splatoon wouldn't be where it is today without Turf War. That mode, more than any other, clarifies the game's defining characteristics and core appeal.

I want to be X rank in Turf War. I actually think I could more reliably rank up in Turf War than in Clam Blitz and a good number of Rainmaker & Tower Control maps.
Those defining characteristics being also a curse leading to a low level playerbase because when you toot that you can help your team by painting instead of killing or being where it counts, you get a lot of players interested but they also don't grow understanding the game.
Also fun fact the obligatory first turf wars match disconnected for me so I didn't have to do it and never touch the mode again :sneaky:

Those defining characteristics being also a curse leading to a low level playerbase because when you toot that you can help your team by painting instead of killing or being where it counts, you get a lot of players interested but they also don't grow understanding the game.
Also fun fact the obligatory first turf wars match disconnected for me so I didn't have to do it and never touch the mode again :sneaky:
Map design also doesn't really help in this game though tbh. There's so little space to go somewhere without a confrontation, which makes it so that kills are more important and just painting simply is not an option

My idea for competitive tricolor turf war, was to have two teams take turns attacking and defending similar to CSGO, and just split the attacking team up into pairs when it's their turn (since they're supposed to work together anyways).

You could then play it out where first team to get X amount of points (with a +2 lead) wins

OR have both teams play both roles and give the point to the defending team with the highest %

Map design also doesn't really help in this game though tbh. There's so little space to go somewhere without a confrontation, which makes it so that kills are more important and just painting simply is not an option
That's why when I open the map teammates are always 10 miles behind 😮‍💨

Strong disagree. Both because whatever a playerbase being low skill means, seeing it as curse reeks of toxic shit, and because all up to the highest level of competition there's a role dedicated to painting and avoiding fights. Overprioritizing turf isn't the sole or a particularly problematic stage in the development of game awareness to be stuck on. You're just as or more likely to lose from people who chase kills and don't know when to be happy with what they've got.

In Turf War, I'd rather be put with three painters than on a team which treats everything like a deathmatch. The former can be carried to a win. With the latter, no matter your individual contribution, the final outcome is a crapshot.

all splatoon players are toxic it's just a matter of how much

sheldon is one end of the scale with squidbagging turf war haters on the other

all splatoon players are toxic it's just a matter of how much

sheldon is one end of the scale with squidbagging turf war haters on the other

I'm the kind of toxic that's self-aware enough to praise the game for not allowing me to share my toxicity via voice chat.

One end of the scale would be squid parties, but I never partook in those. And actually, I'm not sure if squid parties aren't on the toxic end themselves. Maybe this is a horseshoe situation.

Strong disagree. Both because whatever a playerbase being low skill means, seeing it as curse reeks of toxic shit, and because all up to the highest level of competition there's a role dedicated to painting and avoiding fights. Overprioritizing turf isn't the sole or a particularly problematic stage in the development of game awareness to be stuck on. You're just as or more likely to lose from people who chase kills and don't know when to be happy with what they've got.

In Turf War, I'd rather be put with three painters than on a team which treats everything like a deathmatch. The former can be carried to a win. With the latter, no matter your individual contribution, the final outcome is a crapshot.
I would say low level has not understanding how to play the game. It's not by chance they're designing new maps like that, I think they're course correcting bad habit deep rooted since 2 games. Though they always ruined their effort at balance by making rank up easier.

I would say low level has not understanding how to play the game. It's not by chance they're designing new maps like that, I think they're course correcting bad habit deep rooted since 2 games. Though they always ruined their effort at balance by making rank up easier.

Low skill level isn't a problem if the matchmaking did a fine job sorting players by skill. It doesn't. Grouping players of equal skill has gotten worse compared to 2, which is why I can't buy that changes in other areas like maps would be course-correction to account for the problem of different understandings of the game, rather than likely unrelated decisions.

And again, you can win Splatoon tournaments by largely staying out of fights and painting for specials. The path from happy Turf War painters to that isn't any less logical or linear than developing from a deathmatch warrior into a X-rank slayer.

And again, you can win Splatoon tournaments by largely staying out of fights and painting for specials.
Not to completely ignore the point of this discussion but this isn't the case in Splat 3 anymore, you very much do need to pick fights, and seeing the latest balancing patch it seems like the devs want to discourage the special farming playstyle too

I'm the kind of toxic that's self-aware enough to praise the game for not allowing me to share my toxicity via voice chat.

One end of the scale would be squid parties, but I never partook in those. And actually, I'm not sure if squid parties aren't on the toxic end themselves. Maybe this is a horseshoe situation.
squid parties are on a third axis

Not to completely ignore the point of this discussion but this isn't the case in Splat 3 anymore, you very much do need to pick fights, and seeing the latest balancing patch it seems like the devs want to discourage the special farming playstyle too

I read the emphasis on players who stay far away from the action as them wanting to push special farmers closer to the frontlines where they'll be vulnerable and forced to interact with their teammates and enemies. That interaction can be picking fights where opportune or, for the most part, avoiding direct challenges. Painting map control will hopefully always be a major component of any winning strategy and I'm not quite ready yet to write off the support role, or radically redefine it, on the evidence of this early in the meta.

Low skill level isn't a problem if the matchmaking did a fine job sorting players by skill. It doesn't. Grouping players of equal skill has gotten worse compared to 2, which is why I can't buy that changes in other areas like maps would be course-correction to account for the problem of different understandings of the game, rather than likely unrelated decisions.

And again, you can win Splatoon tournaments by largely staying out of fights and painting for specials. The path from happy Turf War painters to that isn't any less logical or linear than developing from a deathmatch warrior into a X-rank slayer.
Well matchmaking is another can of worms. I'm convinced that in the end being on the right spot ,winning fights have already been the key to success.
Painting is like the essential stuff but at this point everyone understood and you should not really think about it, it's a mean to an end. Painting for painting, staying behind is not leading to much of anything. Tournaments are also always kills carnage so I don't follow you on that comment.

Back
Back
Top Bottom