• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why do people hate moray towers?
The average player is a bit impatient and can't figure out how/when to pressure a decent charger, so they just rush in and get picked off repeatedly. Chargers have an advantage on the map, yes, but they can be countered in a typical solo queue match. I'd know; as a Squiffer main, it was very common to see one actual sniper on the other team and none on mine, but I didn't find Towers to be that bad despite the perch point not being very useful for the Squiffer's range.

Now Manta Maria is a map I inexplicably struggled with. Wouldn't mind if that doesn't come back.
after going 16-5 in tower control with squiffer I don't think I can ever go back
anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

I gotta say, I’m really not loving the emphasis on “break targets and fail instantly after one miss” levels in the campaign. It’s simply not that much fun, and I get way more of a “At least I never have to do this again” feeling than a “Yeah, I did it!” feeling.
They are optional and don't hurt anyone tho.
Personally I am really loving such levels.

God tower control is so bad in this game. It's sad to see it fall off so hard between Splatoon 2 and 3. And clam blitz, funnily enough, feels quite playable in solo, and still amazing in team play.

God tower control is so bad in this game. It's sad to see it fall off so hard between Splatoon 2 and 3. And clam blitz, funnily enough, feels quite playable in solo, and still amazing in team play.
What's wrong with Tower compared to 1 and 2?

I just realized that unlike S2, you don't get extra cash when exchanging duplicated clothing in Salmon Run after 1200, you only get chunks. It's a shame because money in this game is actually useful and a lot of people seem to be short on cash. Have you seen the videos of people abusing the REEF LUX (with friends) to farm gold for hours?
There is so much stuff to spend coins in S3, so maybe they will address this in a not so distant update.

And I'm actually playing less Salmon Run now despite being always available because I have to wait longer for the next rotation. It's painful cause there are only 3 stages anyway (one of which I've hated since S2) and sometimes the weapon selection sucks.

Why is that?

What's wrong with Tower compared to 1 and 2?
Why is that?

3 things.

• A huge amount of specials in this game are designed to either protect the tower or screw over the tower rider, making it extremely unfun to ride tower AND to defend against people pushing tower
  • The passive special charge on tower control is even more busted in this game, since most specials are more expensive AND more powerful, turning it into a spam of super powerful specials being thrown at you the whole match
  • Most of the maps have tower paths that are extremely difficult to defend against
I see so many games where one team pushes the tower very far basically for free because it's so difficult to defend well, and then the other team makes the comeback because the passive special charge is absolutely broken when losing but pushing.

TDLR specials were not made with tower control in mind and the passive special charge is too strong

I just realized that unlike S2, you don't get extra cash when exchanging duplicated clothing in Salmon Run after 1200, you only get chunks. It's a shame because money in this game is actually useful and a lot of people seem to be short on cash. Have you seen the videos of people abusing the REEF LUX (with friends) to farm gold for hours?
There is so much stuff to spend coins in S3, so maybe they will address this in a not so distant update.
you're not supposed to have everything right away

you're not supposed to have everything right away
I agree with this, but at the same time you have to play a LOT for certain things. I think it'd be nice to give a cash multiplier for the first 3 or 5 wins of the day, similar to the first win of the day bonus for the catalog, just so more casual players can actually obtain things.

I agree with this, but at the same time you have to play a LOT for certain things. I think it'd be nice to give a cash multiplier for the first 3 or 5 wins of the day, similar to the first win of the day bonus for the catalog, just so more casual players can actually obtain things.
As someone who found the grind in S1/S2 off putting and finds the ideas of battle passes abhorant I’d be totally happy with this.

At least 1. I don’t have to pay for the catalog so it doesn’t bother me 2. They put Sheldon on his own currency 3. The locker items are purely cosmetic and can be largely ignored if you want.

All of the above are great changes and makes the treadmill a lot less intimidating

The best thing about splatoon is when you win a clam blitz game by 1 freaking point in the end game.

That’s when the game gets to its limits of awesomeness.

Uh...so update on this bug or whatever that happened to me yesterday. The game still said I was 650 points away from a rank-up battle, and I just played a series since Splat Zones is in the rotation. I went 2-3, and on the results screen it only showed that I was 178 points away instead of 650 like it said in the lobby. It also skipped the rank-up battle, so now I'm S+1 I guess. Weird, but I'll take it.

Appreciate the candidness, even if I disagree wholeheartedly. The elongated minimal stage rotation was one of the primary reasons why I dropped Splatoon 2.
The two hour rotation gives you lots of time to learn about a map and mode for longer sessions, and gives people who play shorter sessions or multiple modes a greater chance to play in a given rotation. One hour rotations sound far too short to me

The two hour rotation gives you lots of time to learn about a map and mode for longer sessions, and gives people who play shorter sessions or multiple modes a greater chance to play in a given rotation. One hour rotations sound far too short to me
There’s recon mode for a reason. It works in the initial few weeks but once you already know the maps, the additional time is completely unnecessary. I’d rather experience a wider spread of content than spend an excess amount of time on certain pieces of it, especially since that can result in certain stages/modes never lining up with my schedule.

Disagree that 1 hour is too short too, that’s a pretty hefty chunk of time. I don’t think I’ve ever played through a full 2-hour rotation since the launch of Splatoon 2, aside from maybe a couple splatfests with friends.

2 hour rotation between two maps certainly captures the 90's FPS vibe perfectly 😂 If you were playing CS it was 90% Dust and Aztec? Unreal Tournament was CTF-Face almost all the time.

There’s recon mode for a reason. It works in the initial few weeks but once you already know the maps, the additional time is completely unnecessary.
recon mode is worlds apart from actually sitting down and practicing on a couple maps repeatedly. And you never stop learning from a game like this

every match is different, so it's not like it's repeated content

If it’s a mode and maps I like, I love the two hours, if it isn’t I hate the two hours lol.

The new series mode works very well with the two hour blocks.

recon mode is worlds apart from actually sitting down and practicing on a couple maps repeatedly. And you never stop learning from a game like this

every match is different, so it's not like it's repeated content
Sure, but again, I only ever need that extra time the first few days of play. After that, 1 hour is plenty of time for me, and recon mode is available if any extra scouting is needed. Every match being different doesn’t mean content isn’t repeated, either. It’s still the same map at the end of the day.

Regardless, it’s a matter of opinion, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

one of the smartest things they've done with 3 is filling the game with so much slow-burn content that gives you options

if you don't like the anarchy rotation you can play turf war
if you don't like the turf war rotation you can play salmon run (now 24/7!)
if you don't like salmon run you can play one of the million single-player weapons you haven't checked off
if you're done with those you can play the shockingly good card game
and if you're not in the mood for any of that? redecorate your locker!

it's like the whole game is designed around its rotations

one of the smartest things they've done with 3 is filling the game with so much slow-burn content that gives you options

if you don't like the anarchy rotation you can play turf war
if you don't like the turf war rotation you can play salmon run (now 24/7!)
if you don't like salmon run you can play one of the million single-player weapons you haven't checked off
if you're done with those you can play the shockingly good card game
and if you're not in the mood for any of that? redecorate your locker!

it's like the whole game is designed around its rotations
And if you don’t like any of those options I’m sure they’ll add Squid Beats back in a future update. Or just go play Mario Kart or Smash.

Good gravy is the card game good

Edit: Being able to Salmon Run whenever is like heaven

Last edited:
Just hit S rank. I lost the first rank up attempt (1-3), then went on a pretty good run to get back to the rank up attempt (5-1), and finished that 3-1. Pretty good session with minimal raging lol.

friendly reminder that if you don't play the exact same weapons as me you're a terrible person and I hate you

This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I very much enjoyed Splatoon 1 and 2 but I don't know, it really, really clicked for me this time, I love this game. I functionally 100%'d the story mode, am actually ranking up in Ranked, and am almost level 30 in Turf War, something I never came close to in the previous games. I'm actually not terrible at the game and it's just so addicting. I did not expect this game to be my sleeper favorite this year, I didn't even watch any prerelease media for it. Nintendo has something really special on their hands this time.

This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I very much enjoyed Splatoon 1 and 2 but I don't know, it really, really clicked for me this time, I love this game. I functionally 100%'d the story mode, am actually ranking up in Ranked, and am almost level 30 in Turf War, something I never came close to in the previous games. I'm actually not terrible at the game and it's just so addicting. I did not expect this game to be my sleeper favorite this year, I didn't even watch any prerelease media for it. Nintendo has something really special on their hands this time.
Yeah, feels weird I had a couple hundred hours in 2 but I already like this more.

But what level are you in Tableturf Battle

I don't care about Tableturf, I'm gonna be honest. It's fine, but it's not my cup of tea.

I'd say the only part of the game I didn't like was the Secret Kettle. It was just miserable. But I wanted those rewards, haha.

Other than the netcode being fixed, I would really like to see a Splatmatch mode of some kind. I know why Nintendo doesn't have it - it's not that kind of game - but it'd be nice.

I thought the matchmaking was good but that's because until s+, I could climb with ease.
Now I'm back to having a team of 3 backliners while of course having a variety of shooters on the other team, multiple times in a session.
So it's still abysmal and take at minimum double the time of splatoon 2 with a sprinkle of people disconnecting and huge latency.
My solace is wrecking teammates that made me lose when they get on the other team :coffee:

Last edited:
Gonna need some new music soon. The actual gameplay tracks are starting to grate on me a lot.

Also only got to play one single map in 5 matches yesterday =P . Weird.

As a whole some kind of content drop would be nice.

Gonna need some new music soon. The actual gameplay tracks are starting to grate on me a lot.

Also only got to play one single map in 5 matches yesterday =P . Weird.

As a whole some kind of content drop would be nice.

Yeaaa it feels strange to not have a tiny content drop every week with a medium one every month after Splatoon 2 launch. I wonder if we still may get a new map soon, or if those will be included with seasons too.

By the way, you can now cancel private battles by holding L R ZL ZR left stick right stick for 3 seconds. Anyone in the room can do it. Nifty feature nobody knew of until now.

Can my friend use my Amiibo to get the gear with it? If she deleted my amiibo save data will I lose the gear's current abilities?

Back
Top Bottom