• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (World's End Splatfest announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
So, I had a sudden stroke of genius this morning and decided that I was going to play some Splatoon 1 now that my Gamepad battery had been fixed.

Butttt to my utter disappointment the servers were down :[ Anyone know for how long they have been down and whether they might come back up again?

Bluefin Depot was in rotation as well 😞

So, I had a sudden stroke of genius this morning and decided that I was going to play some Splatoon 1 now that my Gamepad battery had been fixed.

Butttt to my utter disappointment the servers were down :[ Anyone know for how long they have been down and whether they might come back up again?

They've been down for a significant amount of time due to a vulnerability discovered in how Nintendo's online worked that allowed hackers access to your console. Since the start of march iirc.

It's not even officially clear if they're even going to be fixing it, let alone how long it'll take, but updating Wii U Games is not their priority.

They've been down for a significant amount of time due to a vulnerability discovered in how Nintendo's online worked that allowed hackers access to your console. Since the start of march iirc.

It's not even officially clear if they're even going to be fixing it, let alone how long it'll take, but updating Wii U Games is not their priority.
I think it's safe to say that that is the end in that case... Sucks that they couldn't at least announce it properly and give people some time to play one last time.

Scorch Gorge has to be the most insufferable map in Splatoon history. Monkey brain matchmaking also does not help it in any way. I remember complaining about Kelp Dome being the worst map ever, but that seems like paradise now
Scorch Gorge is if like you took the bad parts from Inkblot and Kelp Dome and combined them into one map

I think it's safe to say that that is the end in that case... Sucks that they couldn't at least announce it properly and give people some time to play one last time.

They couldn't really preemptively announce it because creating a rush of people to play it would be just putting a huge audience up to be targeted for the hack which had potential serious consequences, up to and including them being able to brick your console completely.

I think they are going to fix it, but they've probably put one intern in a back room on it intermittently for the Wii U Games they've put under maintenance, whereas for the switch games that were affected it was a massive immediate priority.

So... Dumb question, yet one I've not actually been able to find an answer to.

Is it actually possible to get more team food money tickets from somewhere?

Because as far as I can tell, they don't come from the gacha (exp ones do though), salmon run, or the Sheldon drone, and I can't see anywhere else you could get them other than very limited ones that can potentially be in the catalogue.

Because as far as I can tell, they don't come from the gacha (exp ones do though), salmon run, or the Sheldon drone, and I can't see anywhere else you could get them other than very limited ones that can potentially be in the catalogue.
Most likely in future Salmon Run modes, my theory is that you will get capsules with buffed rewards. Which I think is the reason why you no longer get extra cash after 1200 unlike Splatoon 2. And also why team food money ticket are so rare, currently you mostly get money ticket from SR.

And also from datamines, SR's Pair/Underground badges are capsules.

There is a 1% chance to get them from the 2nd catalog mystery boxes. That's all.

Scorch Gorge has to be the most insufferable map in Splatoon history. Monkey brain matchmaking also does not help it in any way. I remember complaining about Kelp Dome being the worst map ever, but that seems like paradise now
I like this map.

Plus, it is the map that I splatted a lot of people with the SPRINKLER, haha.

It's been down for around a month and it'll come back once Nintendo fixes a security bug, it's just clearly not a high priority. Their QA resources have probably been pretty tied up with TotK and Xenoblade Future Redeemed (both games that are going to be heavier than normal on QA) until very recently,

Here's a choice

Series / Open (solo): the current map rotation is good, but your teammates will definitely never try to achieve anything for the entire game
X Battle: the current map rotation is absolutely awful, but your teammates might participate in pushes and do things that contribute to the objective instead of sitting back for 5 minutes

Who uses Team Money tickets?! You better know I don’t. I ain’t no communist.

I actually don’t use them cause I forget to ever order new food. Have about 100 tickets just sitting there lol

Let's say someone has never played any of the Splatoon games but irrationally wants to now because Zelda. Assuming they bought the game tomorrow, is there anything they should make sure to do before the event (besides figuring out how to play)?

Let's say someone has never played any of the Splatoon games but irrationally wants to now because Zelda. Assuming they bought the game tomorrow, is there anything they should make sure to do before the event (besides figuring out how to play)?
Hmm, maybe tackle a few missions in the campaign mode just to get a better handle on the mechanics? Other than that, there's nothing going on right now that won't be there after the event.

Here's a choice

Series / Open (solo): the current map rotation is good, but your teammates will definitely never try to achieve anything for the entire game
X Battle: the current map rotation is absolutely awful, but your teammates might participate in pushes and do things that contribute to the objective instead of sitting back for 5 minutes
X Battle: I play Ranged Blaster and I am far more dependent on my team not being shit than the map putting me at a disadvantage. I can win maps I'm disadvantage at with a good team. Even with my most favored map, I will lose handedly if my team is useless.

There is a pretty beefy single player campaign available by going down the manhole that an oldman is hiding in. The game will specifically point him out so you can't miss him. I would suggest doing this single player before anything. It's pretty easy, gives you a variety of weapons to practice and scenarios to use them, and plenty of items that you can redeem in the main game like tickets that earn you more experience or money. Before going online, visit the General Store and they should give you a catalog. This will give you prizes and cosmetics and different victory poses. When starting out, most modes and weapons are locked out to you and unlock as you level up so using exp+ tickets from the single player will help you unlock them faster. Most things won't open until you reach level 4, but the weapon shop unlocks items for purchase every level you earn up to level 30. But you can hop directly online from the start if you want. There isn't any advantage to completing single player in regards to online play other than getting used to the controls

I would advise using motion controls more than anything and a big reason for the single player mode is to give you a controlled space to teach you motion controls. But if they are just unbearable even after multiple days of using them, you can turn them off if that makes things easier to play, but the game is a lot easier and you'll be more effective in games if you make the effort to get used to them

For the Splatfest event itself, the week before will be the in-game announcement, so next week around April 28. At this point you can pick your team using a giant TV next to the manhole leading to the single player at the bottom of the starts in the plaza square. You will be given a shirt that you will be forced to use during the Splatfest the following week. After you pick your team the event has started and as you play the online games, you will earn Conch Shells. These allow for free pulls from the prize dispenser in the Lobby and earning these shells count toward picking the winner of the Splatfest occurring May 5th

So the event technically starts April 28

During the Splatfest on May 5, it is 48 hours where you will play games of Turf War versus players that picked opposite choices than you. There are two types of modes, Open and Pro. Open is considered the more relaxed mode where you earn points for your team even if you lose and you can play with your friends if you want. Pro is considered the more difficult mode as it is all or nothing where losing earns you 0 points for your team but you earn a lot more points for your team if you win. After 24 hours, we will get the half-time results where they announce which team is in the lead. During the remaining 24 hours a new mode unlocks, Tri-Color battle, and this is where the Triforce shaped map will be played. All three teams will be playing in this mode with four players on one team, the Defenders, against two teams of two players each, the Attackers. Attackers will want to claim the Ultra Signal at the middle of the map to place a giant sprinkler that will paint a section of the map for the rest of the game. The goal of a Defender will be to keep the Attackers from getting that Signal. It's still Turf War in the end and the goal is to paint more than the opposing team but things to note; if you're an Attacker the goal is to paint more than the Defender team so try to avoid killing the other Attacker Team. This hasn't really sunk in with players at large so don't be surprised if the other Attacker team tries to kill you. During Tri-color the team roles are randomized so you may be on Defender or Attacker position regardless of the half-time results.

All categories during the Splatfest (Open / Pro / Tricolor) factor into the final results along with which team won the sneak peak the week before the event (the team that earned the most conch shells between April 28 and May 5 when the Splatfest begins) and which team had the most votes, so be sure to play around the different modes.

Hey, @Magnet_Man! Welcome back!
The matchmaking has been putting us together in a few SR shifts lately and during the last Splatfest. Your # still makes me laugh when I first see you in a match :p

Fighting a decent Explosher is such an awful experience, it's the only main weapon that I wish would just not exist. Yay drowning in enemy ink is so much fun! And they just had to give it the worst-designed sub too

The balancing in this game is so terrible

image.png

This is from a tournament last night. Literally IDENTICAL to team comps from 7 months ago (ignoring one of the splashes being neo but that doesn't change anything)

There should be a tournament where they're forced to use the chaos matchmaking from the actual game. I want to see how the pros deal with it when your team is 3 e-liters and a luna blaster

There should be a tournament where they're forced to use the chaos matchmaking from the actual game. I want to see how the pros deal with it when your team is 3 e-liters and a luna blaster
Yknow, I've been thinking of running a tournament with a really stupid gimmick, and then attaching a money prize to it, because for some reason people flock to prize tournaments like crazy

Fighting a decent Explosher is such an awful experience, it's the only main weapon that I wish would just not exist. Yay drowning in enemy ink is so much fun! And they just had to give it the worst-designed sub too

I take this personally.

Because I'm not a decent Explosher.

And also because how the hell is Point Sensor the worst sub in any sense?

I take this personally.

Because I'm not a decent Explosher.

And also because how the hell is Point Sensor the worst sub in any sense?
Big sphere with low ink cost that you can safely lob at one of the map's 2 entry points to linger there and get guaranteed location on 1-4 players for your entire team during 8 whole seconds (= very long time in Splatoon terms), giving opponents the very fun choice to either wait until the effect wears off to do anything (and you just throw another point sensor) or accept that they're at a big disadvantage they can do nothing about (info is everything in combat) and feed.

• Invalidates weapon playstyles especially something like a Carbon Roller
  • Only way to deal with the effect is to wear a ton of sub resistance up, unlike Thermal Ink going into swim form or getting closer doesn't change anything
  • Unlikely to avoid being tagged in the first place due to the high throw velocity, range, hitbox size and lingering
  • Marks 60% longer than Ink Mine and Line Marker, despite being so much easier to tag with (yes those subs also paint and damage, that balance of utility and skill expression is significantly healthier for the game than the extremes of Point Sensor)
  • Slows the game down for that entire duration
  • Most spammable thing in the universe
  • Enables the existence of Splattershot Nova playing like a constant Echolocator, peak game design

Keep in mind I'm not talking about a balance issue but a design issue, like Missiles will remain a bad design even if they tone down its stats to where it's a mid-tier special

Random question, I want to order some of those Zelda Splatfest tee’s, anyone know what size is best for a man with 44” chest?

Fighting a decent Explosher is such an awful experience, it's the only main weapon that I wish would just not exist.
For me, it would be the Splatana Stamper.
It isn't that I don't want it to exist (that would be the Tenta Brella, but it isn't popular in S3 :p), but its range (which reaches a little too far, IMO) and the way the vertical slash paints/damages in a platform's edge don't feel fair to me.

kA8FGuB.png

That doesn't seem right. To a lesser extent, I have the same issue with the rollers' vertical swing around edges.

Big sphere with low ink cost that you can safely lob at one of the map's 2 entry points to linger there and get guaranteed location on 1-4 players for your entire team during 8 whole seconds (= very long time in Splatoon terms), giving opponents the very fun choice to either wait until the effect wears off to do anything (and you just throw another point sensor) or accept that they're at a big disadvantage they can do nothing about (info is everything in combat) and feed.

• Invalidates weapon playstyles especially something like a Carbon Roller
  • Only way to deal with the effect is to wear a ton of sub resistance up, unlike Thermal Ink going into swim form or getting closer doesn't change anything
  • Unlikely to avoid being tagged in the first place due to the high throw velocity, range, hitbox size and lingering
  • Marks 60% longer than Ink Mine and Line Marker, despite being so much easier to tag with (yes those subs also paint and damage, that balance of utility and skill expression is significantly healthier for the game than the extremes of Point Sensor)
  • Slows the game down for that entire duration
  • Most spammable thing in the universe
  • Enables the existence of Splattershot Nova playing like a constant Echolocator, peak game design

Keep in mind I'm not talking about a balance issue but a design issue, like Missiles will remain a bad design even if they tone down its stats to where it's a mid-tier special

Big picture, I follow the logic for the most part. I think our disagreement is in how severely we rate the influence of Point Sensor on any one single match or the meta as a whole.

Point for point, if it's about invalidating playstyles, I'd say the Splash Wall is a bigger "You can do nuthin'" to a wider array of weapons than Point Sensor. Lots of support players, backliners, mid-rangers don't care all that much about being marked and not even every slayer - outside those who rely on shark tactics, to which counters seem healthy - is too bothered by it. In organized play the benefit of Point Sensor is minimized due to call-outs, and in solo queue impact is iffy since it depends on teammates. Being better than two of the least used subs in the game doesn't necessarily make another one of the less used subs badly designed. I'd need to hear the argument for why slowing down the game is bad. Sensor isn't more spammable than Burst Bomb, which paints and kills. Finally, good on Splattershot Nova for having at least some kind of niche thanks to Point Sensor!

I'd rather Line Marker (and Toxic Mist) be good than put Point Sensor on more kits, but as far as subs ruining the game is concerned, every single bomb is higher on my shit list than literally any other sub, because bomb spam is a pox upon Splatoon.

Big picture, I follow the logic for the most part. I think our disagreement is in how severely we rate the influence of Point Sensor on any one single match or the meta as a whole.

Point for point, if it's about invalidating playstyles, I'd say the Splash Wall is a bigger "You can do nuthin'" to a wider array of weapons than Point Sensor. Lots of support players, backliners, mid-rangers don't care all that much about being marked and not even every slayer - outside those who rely on shark tactics, to which counters seem healthy - is too bothered by it. In organized play the benefit of Point Sensor is minimized due to call-outs, and in solo queue impact is iffy since it depends on teammates. Being better than two of the least used subs in the game doesn't necessarily make another one of the less used subs badly designed. I'd need to hear the argument for why slowing down the game is bad. Sensor isn't more spammable than Burst Bomb, which paints and kills. Finally, good on Splattershot Nova for having at least some kind of niche thanks to Point Sensor!

I'd rather Line Marker (and Toxic Mist) be good than put Point Sensor on more kits, but as far as subs ruining the game is concerned, every single bomb is higher on my shit list than literally any other sub, because bomb spam is a pox upon Splatoon.
I completely agree with this. Bombs and wall are way bigger and more common disruptors.

I wish there was a way to tell teammates "plz don't kill the snatchers passing through the basket. Certainly do not kill those going to and coming from the shore. Especially the ones carrying 8 eggs. Not yet. PLZ! 🙏🏻"

That wipeout was extremely satisfying :D

IMG_1075.jpg

I have no idea which team to pick honestly so I went and bought all three shirts because I also have no self-control.
I want them ( T_T). Stupid NoA store not accepting international credit cards :(
Could you share more pics if you decide to open them?

Sturgeon Shipyard has got to be the worst best map ever. I often see people online lauding it, but I've been having nothing but a miserable time on it in all modes.
Or maybe I just shouldn't play Tent

If I was into Zelda I would have bought one of those shirts. I knew I should have hopped on the Pokemon x Splatoon shirts back in November when I had the chance. Oh well.

The balancing in this game is so terrible

image.png

This is from a tournament last night. Literally IDENTICAL to team comps from 7 months ago (ignoring one of the splashes being neo but that doesn't change anything)
Tbh I think other things as balancing play a part in it as well, though they are closely related. First of all, both Splash and Machine are strong and easy to play compared to other weapons that could have a shot at being good in tournament. Secondly, these weapons function on any map. Imagine you put a lot of time into a weapon only for it to simply be unviable because of map choice.

Now these both have a close relation to balancing, but are also slightly different. Would it be a good idea to make easy-to-play weapons slightly underpowered? Or would it only create a big gap between pros and beginners?

Second issue is hard to prevent as well, but I'd say that map design with actual creativity and thought might help in that aspect as well. The soulless creations we have now certainly do not remedy it in any way.

Tbh I think other things as balancing play a part in it as well, though they are closely related. First of all, both Splash and Machine are strong and easy to play compared to other weapons that could have a shot at being good in tournament. Secondly, these weapons function on any map. Imagine you put a lot of time into a weapon only for it to simply be unviable because of map choice.

Now these both have a close relation to balancing, but are also slightly different. Would it be a good idea to make easy-to-play weapons slightly underpowered? Or would it only create a big gap between pros and beginners?

Second issue is hard to prevent as well, but I'd say that map design with actual creativity and thought might help in that aspect as well. The soulless creations we have now certainly do not remedy it in any way.

I think the biggest problem is how versatile the weapons are. They both have short, mid and long range options. Not many weapons have that luxury (alongside the parts of their kit also being really strong)

Again, more of an issue with balancing (their subs and specials are all top 3 in the game) but if not every weapon gets such a strong kit, it becomes a problem.

Hey Squidkids, I've recently got a hold of two Nintendo Switch Vouchers for two Nintendo published Nintendo Switch games for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. As someone that freaking loved Splatoon and Splatwo, how are things in Splathree right now?
I see some heated discussions about weapons, which is healthy. But what I'm really asking is: is the connection better than in the Global Testfire? I played it and good god how miserable I was, I think I got only two or three matches because me and my friends got DCed all the time, waaaay worse than in the two first games (which I know as someone who played them, do not have the best history of good connections).

When are we going to get a Splatoon X Splatoon splatfest where you get to vote for your favorite game in the trilogy?

I think the biggest problem is how versatile the weapons are. They both have short, mid and long range options. Not many weapons have that luxury (alongside the parts of their kit also being really strong)

Again, more of an issue with balancing (their subs and specials are all top 3 in the game) but if not every weapon gets such a strong kit, it becomes a problem.
I am personally surprised when Sloshing Machine, a weapon that was proven to actually be powerful in Splatoon 2, is given two of the best sub/special together. Splatoon 2 basically underestimated the power of Sloshing Machine until the Kensa variant, after which it has to be made more difficult to use like more ink consumption. The Kensa has Splashdown so it's not too bad, but then Splatoon 3 gave it Booyah Bomb for some reason.

It's a bit disappointing, really. I like the regular Slosher, but it's clear that the weapon generally underperforms compared to Sloshing Machine. The kit has some advantages like the Splat Bomb, but the weapons lack of movement compared to the Machine makes it a very difficult weapon to use. I guess it being 2-shot after the patch helps, but it seems that Sloshing Machine still is better. It's not helped by Slosher Deco having a rather... unorthodox kit. The Angle Shooter might help to do quick combos but you have to aim very well with it. The special might be easy to telegraph, if videos of chargers making quick work of them is of any indication. Then again, maybe I am not so sure how well Slosher can combo with Zipcaster since I haven't been able to use it successfully.

The Sloshing Machine Neo is probably going to get a great kit anyway (more so compared to Slosher Deco anyway), like how Neo Splash-o-matic has a nice kit.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom