• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (World's End Splatfest announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
They probably overdid it if it's even a subject in Japan. I know I have to change my game when playing close range weapons and that's not good.
oh, I think it's less of a they overdid what they did, but more of a it's always been like that, but no one really noticed or minded that much, so when the writer(a normal player like us) brought it up, it started to gain some attention. Kind of like a "ah, now that you mentioned..." kind of situation.

Why can't Splatoon 3 throw its new players a bone in Salmon Run? Looking at past and upcoming rotations, not one without 1-2 let's say advanced weapons. We're not quite in late-stage Splatoon 2 levels of handicap but for sure this isn't easing beginners into the mode.

oh, I think it's less of a they overdid what they did, but more of a it's always been like that, but no one really noticed or minded that much, so when the writer(a normal player like us) brought it up, it started to gain some attention. Kind of like a "ah, now that you mentioned..." kind of situation.
I think anyone who played 2 can notice it's worse and it's a game that was already worse than 1. There's a progression there lol

The clearest signs I've seen that this game was running out of development time towards the end have been in the UI. With how much care was obviously put into the design of the menus, it's weird how pressing the B button doesn't automatically default to the Not Continue option or that there's no indicator on the gear screen for what page you're on like the pips previously.

I don't usually care about how I play in multiplayer games at all - I'm just here to have a good time - but getting a bit upset at how crap I am at this game. I mean, I was okay at Splatoon 2, but I'm lost here. Just can't wrap my head around the motion controls this time at all. Feel like I'm really hurting every team I join.

In my last 15 turf wars my teams are 2-13, and in most of them I've had ZERO kills. In one I actually went 0 kills 9 deaths. Jesus. Even when I get the jump on someone I don't have the motor control to take advantage. I spend so much time fiddling with the sensitivity settings. I try to make up for it by inking as much turf as I can and swimming behind the front lines to ink turf / avoid conflict, but if you lose every 1 on 1 it's impossible to win.

So I went back to Splatoon 2 to check my settings there and doing so just happened to make me realize that damn if I don't prefer the style of that game. The opening, the hub, everything. And I felt more comfortable with the controls there too. I'll give Splatoon 3 more time.

One thing I'll say though is that the single player is set up really well, I'm enjoying it. And for some reason I don't struggle in Salmon Run at all. It's a good game. I just suck.

It is the year 2127. Roughly 99.7 percent of all the species we know today are extinct. Trees only exist in tales, our skies are covered by a permanent black cloud, the seas have dried out and all water is owned by Nestlé.

I have just returned from my job at the flux capacitor factory where I lick the labels for the packaging. A complex machine far beyond what humanity could have imagined a century ago has replaced most of my bodily functions. I am being kept alive against my will until I have paid back my loan for the downpayment at AmazonSoft Housing for my 5 square meter room closer to my workplace.

Luckily, this means that I only commute for 5 hours a day in the Tesla (a WalmartWagen Company) MegaTube system that I have to pay with my own blood. I can still play one match of Super Splatoon Infinity Redemption on my Tencent-Apple Virtual Boy Live (the US government has outlawed every other gender except male) before I have to rest through artificially induced coma. I put a BezosCoin into the slot of my console, put on the headset and start the game. After several disconnection errors I finally manage to get into a match of Hexacolur Turf Battle.

My debilitating arthritis would have made playing on a controller impossible but thanks to new advancements in technology I can play with the power of my mind. Yet, I am still no match for the youngsters: My mental implants are models of yesteryear and I have not been able to scrape the money together to pay for firmware updates. I had to delete memories of my family back in 2117 just so I could still differentiate between the 18 colours in Splatoon. My slow reaction time and my inability to calculate the trajectory of my shots on the fly means that I drag down my team hard.

After we suffer a devastating loss (we only got like 4,2 percent) I make my final decision. This is the sign I had been waiting for. Unbeknownst to my employer, I managed to sneak out a component used for the flux capacitor. I open the lid covering the tube where my bellybutton used to be and insert the metallic wire just the way a former colleague explained it to me. After some fiddling I feel a short electric sting as I short circuit my life support systems. In my last moments, as my vision begins to fade, I catch a last glimpse of the match summary.

#1 Home-base Inker

Last edited:
Have been hopping between this and Xeno 3 and I've been having an absolute blast. Need to play more MP and Salmon Run -- only so much time in a day -- but damn they're both terrific and the best the franchise has felt IMO. I can't use gyro controls, but even without I'm generally going 8-5, 10-6, sometimes like 12-5. Campaign is AWESOME. Game is a looker too

The face I made when I realized what
Big Man's fight was from. I love him even more for being a Super Mario Sunshine OG

I really wonder what their intention was with the Cohozuna waves in Salmon Run because IME so far it's basically impossible to win in the highest ranks.
I've actually gotten a few wins against Cohozuna. Basically I found that if you have a high power shot like the E-Liter or even the Bow, your job is Boss control and only focusing on the big guy towards the end or if you are moving from place to place. If you have a weapon that hits a lot of shots (such as the Aerospray) than ironically you deal more damage just hitting the guy with your weapon than focusing on eggs.

So basically you want one guy dedicated to boss killing and only throwing eggs on the rare locations there is breathing room (and even then only throw like one egg before moving to another vantage point to focus on boss killing), at least two people dedicated to egg hunting/horde killing, and if there is someone with a weapon that fires a high number of shots, have him go right up to the boss and just smack him with the weapon.

...Granted this is hard when the sniper tries to waste time egg throwing early on and gets killed...

Tower Control and Splat Zone are still the only two ranked modes I enjoy. I really hope they introduce some new modes. The game needs them imo.

Also I am still not a fan of limiting the map selection. Just create an unranked playlist and let players vote. It isn't a problem with any other multiplayer game.

Tower Control and Splat Zone are still the only two ranked modes I enjoy. I really hope they introduce some new modes. The game needs them imo.

Also I am still not a fan of limiting the map selection. Just create an unranked playlist and let players vote. It isn't a problem with any other multiplayer game.
I personally love Rainmaker, what do you dislike about it? But I agree on Clam Blitz, it could be nuked from the game tomorrow and I’d consider it an upgrade.

While I do love all 4 ranked modes, I have to agree with limiting the maps. At the very least put 3 in a rotation. That was I won't have to play Wahoo World 10 times in a row again. 2 maps is just too limiting and the chance to play the same map consecutively seems to be very high (even though it shouldn't be).

Is there not supposed to be? My joycons rumble for just about every action, it's wildly annoying.
There is indeed supposed to be rumble lol—I like it personally but afaik the only way to shut it off is in the Switch system settings

Other games aren't designed like Splatoon, where players are locked into highly specialized weapon kits for each match. A playlist where players would vote on map/modes would result in poor quality games focused on a fairly small selection of maps with a small selection of viable all-around weapons and would require much longer wait times between matches, worse team compositions, and would see a big increase in players DC-ing, both because you would be spending more time connected to other players in the lobby and because you would frequently just end up having to play on map/modes that you wouldn't like. It would not work well and while I understand why people think they would want it, but in reality it would not be an enjoyable way to play the game.

I personally love Rainmaker, what do you dislike about it? But I agree on Clam Blitz, it could be nuked from the game tomorrow and I’d consider it an upgrade.
maybe its my bad Splatoon 2 experiences speaking out of me but I never warmed up to that mode. Maybe I need to give it a few more tries!

Other games aren't designed like Splatoon, where players are locked into highly specialized weapon kits for each match. A playlist where players would vote on map/modes would result in poor quality games focused on a fairly small selection of maps with a small selection of viable all-around weapons and would require much longer wait times between matches, worse team compositions, and would see a big increase in players DC-ing, both because you would be spending more time connected to other players in the lobby and because you would frequently just end up having to play on map/modes that you wouldn't like. It would not work well and while I understand why people think they would want it, but in reality it would not be an enjoyable way to play the game.
Totally fine if you think this. But I would love trying different weapons in different modes just for fun without any penalties and more maps. I know I would love it.

Surprised to see so many folks on my friend list playing this, even folks who had been away from their Switches for quite a while.

I'm still holding off on my purchase as motivation to beat octo expansion, but woo!

Started some Salmon Run today, and I'm glad that it's available at all times, because I never got to play it all that much in Splatoon 2 in the limited time I played that game. Good semi-mindless fun.

Finished the single-player 100% today. It doesn't quite match the best moments from Octo Expansion, but overall it's probably the best campaign so far. My thoughts are a little different from others though because I don't think either is vastly better than 1 or the base campaign in 2. I've had a good time with all of them, and I've always appreciated how concise the single-player modes usually are in this series. Instead of having to rush or put it off for a while, I can reasonably alternate between single-player and ranked while making a lot of progress in both.

Still haven't touched Salmon Run, but I'm looking forward to checking it out now that I'm done with the campaign. I also hit S rank today, so I'm pretty close to being done with the initial grind.

People seem to have a problem with Aerosprays? Saw some memes mentioning it, it's my first Splatoon game so dunno much about the meta

It's a satisfying weapon to use tbh 😂 I like it and dualies

I may try the scopes for a bit but dunno I feel comfier with the Aerospray MG

Back in the day (Splatoon 2) I thought I was good with the scope/sniper but when I played with it again I looked like such a clown, I did nothing during several matches lmao 😭😭😭😭😭

All welcome updates from the sound of things. They mention that more direct Tricolor changes won't be arriving to the game until December. I can respect that, gives us more time to "learn" how to optimally play it and them more time to reassess how to approach it. Fingers crossed that things stabilize for the rest of the game, most of the explicit connection fixes seem to primarily be aimed at Salmon Run for now, which is probably easier to address in such short notice. The results-screen disconnect is probably most critical to address in regular matches but I hope pre-flight lobby disconnects get smoothened out eventually as well.

English patch notes:

Ver. 1.1.1 (Released September 15, 2022)

Changes to Splatfests

• The rate of Tricolor Battle occurrence has been adjusted. From the defending team’s perspective, they will trigger somewhat less frequently than before.
Changes to Player Controls
  • Fixed an issue where it was possible to jump farther than usual with a Squid Roll by performing a certain input while charging a Squid Surge.
  • Fixed issues that appeared when playing for a long time without closing the software, such as shots from the player’s main weapon not firing correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could move through the surface of the water or stand on water when moving quickly. For example, when performing a Dodge Roll with Splat Dualies.
Changes to Multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of battles due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with the Bloblobber where the collision detection of the third and fourth blobs of a single volley became extremely small.
  • Fixed an issue where cash and experience were not being awarded in certain circumstances when a battle ended early due to a lack of players.
  • Fixed an issue where, in certain modes, a player would be unable to cancel matchmaking when not enough other players were gathered. Matchmaking will now be canceled automatically after a certain amount of time has passed.
  • Fixed an issue in Sturgeon Shipyard in which it was possible to enter the back side of certain drawbridges.
Changes to Salmon Run
  • Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of jobs due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with Mudmouth Eruption events in which Mudmouths moved in unintended ways.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some players with identical titles to be considered “rank supporters” and not gain Rank Points.
  • Fixed an issue where continuously damaging a submerged Maws with certain special weapons would cause the game to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where players were becoming trapped within the stage terrain.
  • Fixed an issue where, at the end of battle, the amount of Grizzco Points earned would be shown as smaller than the amount actually added to save data, which caused cases where the player could not collect rewards.
  • Fixed an issue where the messages at the beginning of Wave 3 could change based on whether or not a King Salmonid would appear.
Changes to Story Mode
  • Fixed an issue where, after clearing the final stage, a communication error would occur in the middle of a certain scene and return the player to the square.
    • The post-clear cutscenes can be viewed by clearing the final stage again.
    • In cases where this error occurred, the final stage is treated as cleared, and the stage can be skipped from the pause menu when reattempting.
Other Changes
  • Fixed an issue when starting the game for the first time in which the game could get stuck and not advance from the black screen after the screen where yellow and blue ink mix together.
  • Fixed an issue when downloading a battle replay that occasionally caused the game to not advance.
  • Fixed an issue in which the game would crash when the schedule was updated while attempting to join a friend.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the game would crash while the player was visiting a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a communication error could occur while a player traded in gear at a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a connection error could occur when buying a weapon. A player would seem to then have the weapon equipped despite not having been able to buy it, which would cause a connection error if the player attempted to join a battle.
Because this update patch focuses on Splatfest-related changes and addresses bugs that can have significant effect on game progress, we have prioritized its release.

Please note that the changes to Tricolor Battle frequency should be considered temporary. For now, there will be somewhat more instances of players selecting Tricolor Battle but being placed in a Turf War battle instead. Going forward, Splatfest-matchmaking specifications will continue to be adjusted, and this issue will be rectified. We are planning to implement these adjustments with the new season beginning in December.

The next patch will focus primarily on balance adjustments and other issues that were outside the scope of the current patch.

We continue to observe and analyze battle data and are planning to make adjustments at the midpoint of the current season.

Confession Time: I've been playing about 1-2 hours everyday...and I only ran across a communication error 3 times. I guess I've been lucky.

Well I got through one game and then the communication errors returned. No other game has this problem with my internet. It was ok on launch day and now it disconnects almost every match at this point. I guess I’m just not meant to play it.

Bummer cause my daughter and I were super into Splatoon 2 and we got two copies of this so we could play together. So disappointing.

Wow, a double tacticooler rainmaker team comp is crazy. Pulling off one long push with both sets of sodas feels so good

English patch notes:

Ver. 1.1.1 (Released September 15, 2022)

Changes to Splatfests

• The rate of Tricolor Battle occurrence has been adjusted. From the defending team’s perspective, they will trigger somewhat less frequently than before.
Changes to Player Controls
  • Fixed an issue where it was possible to jump farther than usual with a Squid Roll by performing a certain input while charging a Squid Surge.
  • Fixed issues that appeared when playing for a long time without closing the software, such as shots from the player’s main weapon not firing correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could move through the surface of the water or stand on water when moving quickly. For example, when performing a Dodge Roll with Splat Dualies.
Changes to Multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of battles due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with the Bloblobber where the collision detection of the third and fourth blobs of a single volley became extremely small.
  • Fixed an issue where cash and experience were not being awarded in certain circumstances when a battle ended early due to a lack of players.
  • Fixed an issue where, in certain modes, a player would be unable to cancel matchmaking when not enough other players were gathered. Matchmaking will now be canceled automatically after a certain amount of time has passed.
  • Fixed an issue in Sturgeon Shipyard in which it was possible to enter the back side of certain drawbridges.
Changes to Salmon Run
  • Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of jobs due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with Mudmouth Eruption events in which Mudmouths moved in unintended ways.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some players with identical titles to be considered “rank supporters” and not gain Rank Points.
  • Fixed an issue where continuously damaging a submerged Maws with certain special weapons would cause the game to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where players were becoming trapped within the stage terrain.
  • Fixed an issue where, at the end of battle, the amount of Grizzco Points earned would be shown as smaller than the amount actually added to save data, which caused cases where the player could not collect rewards.
  • Fixed an issue where the messages at the beginning of Wave 3 could change based on whether or not a King Salmonid would appear.
Changes to Story Mode
  • Fixed an issue where, after clearing the final stage, a communication error would occur in the middle of a certain scene and return the player to the square.
    • The post-clear cutscenes can be viewed by clearing the final stage again.
    • In cases where this error occurred, the final stage is treated as cleared, and the stage can be skipped from the pause menu when reattempting.
Other Changes
  • Fixed an issue when starting the game for the first time in which the game could get stuck and not advance from the black screen after the screen where yellow and blue ink mix together.
  • Fixed an issue when downloading a battle replay that occasionally caused the game to not advance.
  • Fixed an issue in which the game would crash when the schedule was updated while attempting to join a friend.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the game would crash while the player was visiting a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a communication error could occur while a player traded in gear at a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a connection error could occur when buying a weapon. A player would seem to then have the weapon equipped despite not having been able to buy it, which would cause a connection error if the player attempted to join a battle.
Because this update patch focuses on Splatfest-related changes and addresses bugs that can have significant effect on game progress, we have prioritized its release.

Please note that the changes to Tricolor Battle frequency should be considered temporary. For now, there will be somewhat more instances of players selecting Tricolor Battle but being placed in a Turf War battle instead. Going forward, Splatfest-matchmaking specifications will continue to be adjusted, and this issue will be rectified. We are planning to implement these adjustments with the new season beginning in December.

The next patch will focus primarily on balance adjustments and other issues that were outside the scope of the current patch.

We continue to observe and analyze battle data and are planning to make adjustments at the midpoint of the current season.

Hopped into this thread just to see if anybody had posted this, so thanks.

I haven't been posting much here because I've been playing through story mode. I've done most of the levels with every weapon besides the final stretch, and I ultimately appreciate how they were able to merge the varied level structures of Octo Expansion with the softer pacing and worldbuilding of the Splatoon 1 and 2 Hero Modes and, of all things, Mario 64 style progression with the Power Egg system. I'm really excited to blast through the final levels...may just do it tonight, I'm quite excited to see where this goes. I'll discuss lore when I actually finish.

So when people were saying the Big Man boss was the Mario Sunshine Manta Ray...damn, they were not kidding. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

They should make it such that the 2 losing teams always play tricolor battles when selecting it. It would be an easy fix to let them play among their own team, instead of the turf war matches we see now

the update didn't seem to help much with connection issues. It's always something with Nintendo online...

Just started diving into this game with the singleplayer campaign. Got through the first main area 100%. It's so good. Levels seem way shorter than the past games but it kinda works. Music is dope as expected as well. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

They just announced the Splatfest in game. It's really cool that they actually have the construction stuff around the hub to set up for it. Nice little touch.

So, pre-Splatfest season has started in game:

-There's an unskippable intro with Deep Cut about the Splatfest giving their reasons for picking each team. Shiver/Gear, Frye/Food, Big Man/Fun.
-You can pick your teams
-You get Conch Shells which you can use on the Shell-Out Machine

Back
Top Bottom