• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse | Official Trailer #2

So Miles will get everyone against him because he refuses to compromise and sacrifice a single person? Yup that's in line with the Spidey spirit, Izuku Midoriya will love this movie.

spiderman-kid-dance.gif

Now that was a goddamn trailer. Damn, I cannot wait for this one.

The lasting success of Spider-Verse wasn't just it being a crossover - it was how effectively it told a Miles Morales story, to the point where it became the Miles Morales story. If this trailer is any indication, this one is scaling it up in both ways. The crossover is bigger and wilder, but the story gets to grow and develop Miles, further exploring what it means to be Spider-Man to him and making his own path - whether or not he succeeds, well, that's where the drama will come in. Really hoping this one sticks the landing - and at the very least, this film is gonna look gorgeous.

Since this movie is Part 1 of a two part story, you know it's gonna end on a devastating cliffhanger. Part 2 is coming next March and I'm gonna HATE waiting for it.

So, Miles' dad is 100% dead, isn't he? That speech by his mom in the last trailer, them alluding to "saving one person" in this trailer and showing Jefferson falling in a very Amazing Spider-Man 2 Gwen way, Miles referring to Uncle Ben, Jefferson dying in the games. A ton of death flags all over him.

I saw the movie today, it has received an overwheling positive reception so far.

To all these people giving hyperbolic praises, I have only one thing to say:

I just got out of the movie, myself. Amazing stuff, they did it again. Might be the most gorgeous 3D animated film I've ever seen. Over two hours (the longest American animated film yet!) and it flew by, leaving me both extremely satisfied but als wanting more. Late March 2024 can't come soon enough.

God this movie was an 11/10. Met AND exceeded my expectations!

I want something more with this Spider-Punk one day too lol.

Kinda sad it ends on such a big cliffhanger, they went full on Pirates of the Carribean 2 with that cliffhanger.

I loved Donald Glover's appearance. I don't give a single fuck about the MCU's Spider-Man, I hate those films, but I do hope he'll get to play the Prowler with that amazing suit.
Spider-Gwen was amazing.

I was really moved by the whole parenting subject of the film. And the writting of Miles and Gwen relation with their parents was so realistic and not annoying at all. That kind of subject is so easy to fuck up and just make the teenagers annoying, but they nailed it.

Being a first part of a two part movie, the structure felt a bit weird to me. You never really know if it's about to end or not, and the fight between Miles and Miguel on the train for the moon felt to me like the climax, but it still ended up lasting longer than what I expected after that, even though it did was the climatic last fight of the film. I guess that's the kind of things that will just don't matter once we have the second part, and that we'll be able to just watch the two films back to back as I imagine it's intended to.
I'm not an anti-spoiler guy, but I do enjoy to watch some films without knowing what's going to happen, but that's actually a film I know I'll be able to enjoy more from now on knowing what happens, because I was constantly wondering ever since Miles meet with Miguel "is this gonna end soon ? God I hope not... But it feels like the film's been going on for a while... Are they going to save Miles' dad in this film or in the next one ? Is there really going to be a satisfying ending and not just a big cliffhanger ?".
It's one of those films in which I personally would have enjoyed my first time seeing it knowing before hand what happens, or the structure of it.

Wish it was just a 4 and a half hour movie instead. I understand why from a commercial perspective why it's not, but structuring a story that is split in half is extremely annoying. Some liken it to Empires Strikes Back, but that ends fine. This is closer to Kill Bill Volume 1. But even that feels more satisfying and it's subsequent film feels fundamentally different in many ways to where it makes sense to split them the way they were. This feels like it was structured like a season of a Netflix TV series and gets arbitrarily chopped in half instead of 8 to 10 episodes. I hope the lesson from this film's success isn't structuring longer films and just splitting them in two just to get double the box office returns essentially, but that cynically feels like it will be the takeaway. And just cleverly don't market the film as a "Part 1". Kind like Dune did until it's title cards.

I liked the first half of this 4 and a half hour film split into two, there's plenty to love about it even. But I can't get over the feeling that it is not a complete story at all.

Some liken it to Empires Strikes Back, but that ends fine. This is closer to Kill Bill Volume 1. But even that feels more satisfying and it's subsequent film feels fundamentally different in many ways to where it makes sense to split them the way they were.
Yeah, both of those films have a big climatic final encounter (Darth Vader, and Lucy Liu's character) and a proper ending.
Into the Spider-Verse has a climatic big fight near the end, you're thinking "uh, this is about to end I guess, guess they'll just resolve all the problems in the sequel", but then it just goes on and introduce multiple new things, keep developing characters, add a new problem and end on a big, Pirates of the Carribean 2 style cliffhanger.

If the second part is great, this will make a for a fire 4 hours long animated super hero film. But as it is, it's just too weird of a structure for a traditional Hollywoodian super hero film, and it's just frustrating.

Wish it was just a 4 and a half hour movie instead. I understand why from a commercial perspective why it's not, but structuring a story that is split in half is extremely annoying. Some liken it to Empires Strikes Back, but that ends fine. This is closer to Kill Bill Volume 1. But even that feels more satisfying and it's subsequent film feels fundamentally different in many ways to where it makes sense to split them the way they were. This feels like it was structured like a season of a Netflix TV series and gets arbitrarily chopped in half instead of 8 to 10 episodes. I hope the lesson from this film's success isn't structuring longer films and just splitting them in two just to get double the box office returns essentially, but that cynically feels like it will be the takeaway. And just cleverly don't market the film as a "Part 1". Kind like Dune did until it's title cards.

I liked the first half of this 4 and a half hour film split into two, there's plenty to love about it even. But I can't get over the feeling that it is not a complete story at all.

A four and a half hour film was never going to happen. The alternative is the story is massively cut down in order to get it in to a 2.5 hour film instead. Would that have been better? Dunno, won't know that until the second part is out, but I suspect the answer will be no, this is preferable

Yeah, both of those films have a big climatic final encounter (Darth Vader, and Lucy Liu's character) and a proper ending.
Into the Spider-Verse has a climatic big fight near the end, you're thinking "uh, this is about to end I guess, guess they'll just resolve all the problems in the sequel", but then it just goes on and introduce multiple new things, keep developing characters, add a new problem and end on a big, Pirates of the Carribean 2 style cliffhanger.

If the second part is great, this will make a for a fire 4 hours long animated super hero film. But as it is, it's just too weird of a structure for a traditional Hollywoodian super hero film, and it's just frustrating.

The Pirates 2 comparison is certainly apt, but even that has the defeat of the Kraken. But other aspects of that film are remarkably similar to this one with the hero somewhat lost in a known place and their estranged friends must rescue you them. Hopefully the next part is far better than what Pirates 3 ended up being, because it was awful and I actually really liked Pirates 2.

reminded me of Fast X more than anything, but even more extreme, since this feels like it ends right as the third act is starting. Made the movie feel really unsatisfying as a whole

This year has been a bust for me as far as capeshit goes outside of GOTG. Hope Blue Beetle and TMNT are good.

Last edited:
A four and a half hour film was never going to happen. The alternative is the story is massively cut down in order to get it in to a 2.5 hour film instead. Would that have been better? Dunno, won't know that until the second part is out, but I suspect the answer will be no, this is preferable

For sure it would never happened for reasons such as half the box office returns from potentially the second film combined and then half again for less showings that could be squeezed into a day.

And I liked the slower pace to allow character moments to breathe, I think it comes down to the concept of the story. There should have been a more clear and immediate conflict character for this film's part one. And then even the concept we have is pretty strenuously contrived to motivate the characters actions in general: the whole canon event stuff and how tenuous the universes seem to be when one little thing doesn't go as "planned".

movie definitely had Part One Problems, but was still visually astonishing, funny, charming, and a total breeze to watch. I love Miles and Gwen so much.

I love that Lord and Miller use the canon event concept to re-litigate all the bullshit that’s surrounded Miles as a character since his inception, and I think it’s a pretty fun narrative conceit even if I have some mild qualms with dragging the live action and video game universes into things.

Just watched the movie and I had no idea it is going to be a two-parter :ROFLMAO: (in my defense, I prefer to watch movies knowing as little as possible about them, I really liked the first one so it was reason enough to watch this one blind) So, I was thinking in the movie theater: "Wow, they are still in the middle of this problem, how long is this movie going to be?" and then... it ended. Quite funny!

I see now that the second part will be coming in March so we won't have to wait too much at least. Really looking forward to it!

Just watched the movie and I had no idea it is going to be a two-parter :ROFLMAO: (in my defense, I prefer to watch movies knowing as little as possible about them, I really liked the first one so it was reason enough to watch this one blind) So, I was thinking in the movie theater: "Wow, they are still in the middle of this problem, how long is this movie going to be?" and then... it ended. Quite funny!

I see now that the second part will be coming in March so we won't have to wait too much at least. Really looking forward to it!
There’s a lot of doubt about the movie making March. Apparently a lot of the animation and voice work aren’t started, and there were recent reports about them crunching on this one to get it finished. Some are saying it might miss 2024 altogether.

There’s a lot of doubt about the movie making March. Apparently a lot of the animation and voice work aren’t started, and there were recent reports about them crunching on this one to get it finished. Some are saying it might miss 2024 altogether.
Oh my! Didn't expect this at all. I just saw you all mentioning March and thought it was a given. Thank you for the update. It's a shame crunching is a problem not only in videogames, but other fields too...

Don't you bring that energy into my house!

I finally saw this today! I loved the first one more as it was a complete film and I really think this one could have been that too! Even accounting for the final twist, it really seems like the movie was ready to end if they just had one final showdown. The rest of the stuff here was really great though. The relationship between Miles and his parents was definitely my favorite part of the film and I enjoyed The Spot as a villain. While I think this film was a bit too long and could have ended here, I am looking forward to the next film because I definitely want to spend more time with all of these characters especially ones like Peni and to a lesser extent Peter B Parker who didn’t get much screen time. Also more Spider-Punk please!

Last thing, the animation was absolutely incredible throughout. Extremely creative, stunning, and engaging. Following the recent reports, I really hope they take their time in the creation of the next film and treat the animators better.

I'm very curious what they're planning on doing with the home release considering there are at least two different versions in theatres. I truly hope that if it's meant for there to be two different versions, that the home release will offer both in some way and that they'll randomize the playback as Clue does.

If what one of the anonymous animators are saying is true, then this should take up until mid-2025 at the very least.

Just watched this. What a stunning film. Loved Daniel Kaluuya as Spider-punk with the propah Camden lingo innit.

Normally multiverse storylines don’t do much for me, but this just felt so fresh throughout, all the nods to the comics. Miles relationship with his parents remains one of the coolest things too.

Last edited:
The film reminded me that I really liked some of the 2099 comics in the early 90s. While the X-men one was, much like Image at the time, just a forgettable, edgier, bloodsoaked antihero team book, and it was definitely a trope around the whole line, some of the 2099 story beats were excellent. Miguel went from literally being a mad scientist geneticist working for an evil cyberpunk megacorp, the kind of villain superheroes usually fight, who was also a shit to his few loved ones, to being a symbol of resistance and a herald of returning salvation. That his mother loved Spidey and disliked Miguel was a delicious twist. Doom 2099 was really fun too, where he’s obviously still a twisted megalomaniac but he’s still, to his people, the only reasonable chance of dealing with power that’s completely out of control. Thor is the centre of a whole cult around the return of the heroic age with Spidey as his prophet.

The whole characterisation of Miguel seemed on point to me. He’s powerful and smart, but confidence and knowledge around his own nature from becoming Spider-Man as an accomplished geneticist rather than an adolescent gives him a level of hubris that Miles and Peter and co don’t have. A bit like Reed Richards, that makes him dangerous unless the people that love and respect him rein him in a bit.

Last edited:
I've been months late to the party but I finally watched Across the Spider-Verse.

Just like I said on BlueSky, a good friend told me "Hey, at least you're not mad about the ending and you'll get to wait less than us to see the sequel".
And now that I've seen it, I'm quite mad too.

Like, wow, we're totally gonna make a sequel in less than a year ! Right, artists who are totally not exhausted after this movie ? Right ?!

Anyway, ending aside, I truly believe that this movie runs at 24 MPS.
What are MPS ? Masterpieces per second. Every single frame of this movie amazed me.
I cannot imagine how insane it had to be to work on it.

Music, visuals, dialogue, humor, pacing, it's a 10/10 for me.
I loved that some of the scenes have moments letting the scenery (and the characters) breath and letting you take a look at all the insane details everywhere.

Everyone who worked on this movie deserve respect and to work in the best conditions possible. Seeing Sony planning for Beyond to release in April 2024 was like, yeah sure. Like Nintendo asking the exact same TotK team to make the next mainline Zelda for the Switch 2 and release it just 12 months after TotK.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom