• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Sony Q3 FY 2023/24 Financial Results (Oct- Dec 2023): PS5 HW 8.2M, LTD 54.8M new forecast + Spiderman 2 at 10M

Credit: Lelouch0612

4C73uca.png

avdE3qU.png

Q3 sales

Hardware - 8.2M
(+15% YoY)
Software - 89.7M (+4% YoY)

Q1-Q3 Cumulative sales

Hardware - 16.4M
(+28% YoY)
Software - 213.8M (+9% YoY)

Spider-Man 2 sold through 10M units by February 4th, 2024

sm22.PNG

New forecast:

Sales are expected to be lower than the November forecast, mainly due to an expected decrease in sales of hardware resulting from lower unit sales, partially offset by the impact of foreign exchange rates and an expected increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content. Operating income and Adjusted OIBDA are expected to remain unchanged from the November forecast mainly due to the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales of non-first-party titles, substantially offset by an expected increase in losses from hardware mainly due to promotions.
HCyHm9T.png

New Hardware forecast is 21M (down from 25M), hardware sales expected to be at 4.6M in Q4.

Outlook for the next FY

gn1.PNG

Last edited:
Hardware sales are up 1.1 million year over year for the quarter and after Q3 hardware totals 16.4 million versus 12.8 million last fiscal year.

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 3rd quarter of the 3rd full fiscal year (yellow) the 8.2 million the PS5 shipped is 1.5 million down on PS4's 9.7 million and after 13 quarters the PS5 totals 54.8 million compared to 57.3 million for the PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 2.5 million behind PS4.

riLkm7v.png

lvGKQPy.png

PS5 versus current competitors

After 13 quarters the PS5 totals 54.8 million compared to 28.7 million (est) for XBS and 55.77 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 26.1 million (est) ahead of the XBS and 0.97 million behind the NSW.

wRBKufL.png

lJdHaql.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.

I didn't think they'd meet their 25 million taget but being 4 million is a pretty big miss. You could tell Sony was concerned about it when they started putting PS5s on sale regularly starting in the middle of last year. They need to get a handle on their development costs to bump up those profit margins.

Nothing except 7 Remake has made me want to get a PS5, and I enjoy using mods on the same multi-platform games for PC.

damn thats a big revision down for ps5...
They were expecting to ship at least 10 million during Q3 and managed just over 8 million. Data from Circana, GSD and Famitsu indicated that shipments for Q3 would be at least 9 million so i guess the rest of the world (outside of the three main regions) really underperformed.

Wow, them expecting PS5 sales to decline at this stage is pretty bonkers. Combine that with the news they don't have any major franchise titles released for the foreseeable future does make you wonder just what is going on behind the scenes here. Crazy to think PS5 is entering it's fourth year on the market without a notable franchise headliner, by Sony's own admission. That's something you'd expect from a console like the Wii U as opposed to a PlayStation.

I know people have grumbled at Nintendo being slowpokes in the tech race but their strategy of releasing smaller, less graphically intense titles that perform in the 2-5 million sales bracket in addition to their Zelda/Smash/Animal Crossing heavy hitters is looks more and more like the correct one as this gen unfolds.

not trying to be console war-y, but comparing these results to nintendo’s is certainly enlightening. what seems should’ve been a pretty great year for PS5, what with the positive increases across the report, is ending with a negative sales revision and a fairly weaker outlook, where-as nintendo revised up despite being in it’s twilight years.

sony certainly over-bet on the PS5 this year, but for what? literally only spiderman 2?? seems so odd.

thankfully for sony, the playstation brand seems to sell whether or not the games are there unlike nintendo’s consoles. of course, being the preferred 3P platform buoys them immensely.

what a weird turn of events compared to last gen!

So if Nintendo hits 15 million Switch in it's 8th financial year will only be 6 million lower than PS5 in it's 4th financial year. That's pretty insane. Don't know whether it says more about the insane success of the Switch or Sony's high game, hardware, subscription prices and fucked up game pipeline both in quantity and diversity.

Their fiscal year revision to 21 million, down from 25 million, hurts big. And despite revenue being at record levels, Sony still seems to be struggling at hitting ideal profit margins.

Comparisons to PS4 and Switch seem to be on a downward trend too. I don’t see the PS5 having any lockdown boost for two years like the Switch had, and Sony has even acknowledged they’re now in the second half of the consoles lifecycle. For consumers, that may be a tough read, especially hearing that they won’t have any big franchise games this upcoming year. And for Sony there will be tough comparisons this year compared to all the booms they saw this past year (primarily due to supply having sorted itself out).

The traditional, high-fidelity home console market definitely seems to be contracting slightly, especially compared to the lockdown years. The problem we’re seeing now, through all these leaked presentations and cut jobs, is how ballooning development time and costs are affecting things.

not trying to be console war-y, but comparing these results to nintendo’s is certainly enlightening. what seems should’ve been a pretty great year for PS5, what with the positive increases across the report, is ending with a negative sales revision and a fairly weaker outlook, where-as nintendo revised up despite being in it’s twilight years.

sony certainly over-bet on the PS5 this year, but for what? literally only spiderman 2?? seems so odd.

thankfully for sony, the playstation brand seems to sell whether or not the games are there unlike nintendo’s consoles. of course, being the preferred 3P platform buoys them immensely.

what a weird turn of events compared to last gen!
Yup. Sony's constant messaging of playstation being the platform to play call of duty, fifa and fortnite has paid serious dividends. I mean fifa goes back to at least the ps2 era.

22.8 million PS5s shipped in the last year, which is very nearly a PlayStation record. I think the only system with a better quarter was PS2's calendar 2002 with 24.6m in whatever shipment reporting method they were using at the time.

Decent use case for the new hardware comparison tool I recently set up. PS5_WW reaching for PS4_WW. To catch up to PS4's final total, PS5 would have to sell 104% as well as it from here on out. As long as it does better than 75.5%, though, it's still over 100m.
Wow, them expecting PS5 sales to decline at this stage is pretty bonkers.
It's about the same point PS2 and PS4 hit their peaks. It's just been a less notable period of time without the same kind of new content those machines had.
j1Bvshy.png

22.8 million PS5s shipped in the last year, which is very nearly a PlayStation record. I think the only system with a better quarter was PS2's calendar 2002 with 24.6m in whatever shipment reporting method they were using at the time.

Decent use case for the new hardware comparison tool I recently set up. PS5_WW reaching for PS4_WW. To catch up to PS4's final total, PS5 would have to sell 104% as well as it from here on out. As long as it does better than 75.5%, though, it's still over 100m.

It's about the same point PS2 and PS4 hit their peaks. It's just been a less notable period of time without the same kind of new content those machines had.
j1Bvshy.png
A bit off-topic, but what the heck happened to the PS2 there?

It's the same trend as always.. record high revenue but profit margins are so low at Sony, I wouldnt be surprised if we see SIE cutting costs going forward.

I think they need to rethink their strategy a bit.

j1Bvshy.png
Interesting, but I do find it interesting that Sony expect a decline given just how well the PS5 has been selling recently; it only seemed like it's trajectory was going one way. I also presumed with COVID and the supply chip shortage that Sony might be keen to keep it going for a couple years longer, but if they genuinely don't have the games coming then who knows

I don’t see GTA6 reaching GTA5 numbers unless they release it on every platform
Well considering 5 basically did do that over 10 years (outside of Nintendo, but that also could change), 6 will probably do the same thing. Expecting it to reach 5's sales would be a silly thing to do, though.

It’ll sell much faster than V, breaking all gaming records, and release/sell over several generations just as that fifth entry did. It doesn’t need Switch 2 (or 3) but they’d give it an extra push. Getting to the sales of V will just depend on when the next entry comes out and if the online stays as popular.

To be fair, 5 has decades under its belt. Unless Rockstar are gonna ride out 6 (which they deffo are gonna attempt) like they did 5, we're gonna have a tough time judging its performance.

An issue with 6 will legit be its community on 5. Personally I think they need to seriously be considering just transitioning the online element and selling SP.

Though then I see Take Twos results and seriously question how much that online element costs.

I know people have grumbled at Nintendo being slowpokes in the tech race but their strategy of releasing smaller, less graphically intense titles that perform in the 2-5 million sales bracket in addition to their Zelda/Smash/Animal Crossing heavy hitters is looks more and more like the correct one as this gen unfolds.
But this is also what Sony was essentially doing last gen too

and then they got stupid. All they had to do, was just do the ps4 again but no

I know people have grumbled at Nintendo being slowpokes in the tech race
Nintendo isn't being a slowpoke on the tech race: they simply aren't participating in it, and haven't done so since the GameCube era. The only reason the Switch 2 will be a significant upgrade from the Switch 1 is simply because of the liberties that technology will ensure their 1st Party developers, and it's about time they got into 4k graphics.

Other than that, I expect the Switch 3 to be a significant upgrade from the 2, but not a graphics power horse.

Nintendo has done things at their own pace, and diversified their strategy. They've strengthen their IP output by recruiting more personnel, investing in office space for said personnel, liberalized their IPs to 3rd Parties, and translated their IPs into other media and theme parks.

Nintendo isn't being a slowpoke on the tech race: they simply aren't participating in it, and haven't done so since the GameCube era.
Of course Nintendo is partecipating in the tech race, the difference is that Nintendo use tech as a basis to create new forms of entertainment instead of focusing on offering more of the same (like focusing heavily on producing prettier graphics).
After Nintendo popularized the hybrid format, which had as foundation Nvidia tech/SDK that was cutting edge at the time, everybody else is trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Nintendo isn't being a slowpoke on the tech race: they simply aren't participating in it, and haven't done so since the GameCube era. The only reason the Switch 2 will be a significant upgrade from the Switch 1 is simply because of the liberties that technology will ensure their 1st Party developers, and it's about time they got into 4k graphics.

Other than that, I expect the Switch 3 to be a significant upgrade from the 2, but not a graphics power horse.

Nintendo has done things at their own pace, and diversified their strategy. They've strengthen their IP output by recruiting more personnel, investing in office space for said personnel, liberalized their IPs to 3rd Parties, and translated their IPs into other media and theme parks.
I feel you're arguing semantics with my post a bit, because you're making the same point as me. Nintendo have gone at their own pace because it has benefitted them (aside from the times when it hasn't, looking at you Wii U), and now it is a strategy that long term has paid dividends because while everyone else is struggling to adapt to all these high end costs for current gen gaming, Nintendo seem (on the surface at least) to be adapting a lot better. Not every publisher is going to follow Nintendo's way to the same extent, but I can't help but wonder if we'll start to see some third parties at least try.

To be fair, 5 has decades under its belt. Unless Rockstar are gonna ride out 6 (which they deffo are gonna attempt) like they did 5, we're gonna have a tough time judging its performance.
1 decade, to be precise. Honestly, a 12 year gap between evergreen franchises will likely not be a major anomaly in the future, especially those that have more than one franchise under their belt. R* developed only 1 game between GTAs, and devs like BGS do 3, and look at where that left TES (2 decades worth of wait better be worth it 😭 ). I think it is entirely possible that something like GTA7 would skip the PS6/XSX2 generation and release in the generation after that (but perhaps still on those previous gen systems).

That said, matching GTA5 performance remains a behemoth task, which no one should assume until we get significant evidence that GTA6 has the upfront sales AND staying power that GTA5 had.

....I swear people need to be reminded that at the time the Switch's chip was pretty advanced for a mobile one

Of course Nintendo is partecipating in the tech race, the difference is that Nintendo use tech as a basis to create new forms of entertainment instead of focusing on offering more of the same (like focusing heavily on producing prettier graphics).
After Nintendo popularized the hybrid format, which had as foundation Nvidia tech/SDK that was cutting edge at the time, everybody else is trying to jump on the bandwagon.
It's like with the Gameboy, using weathered tech that is more mature, albeit weaker but provides more consistency.

They only really fumbled with Wii U on that tech front due to a number of factors.

Wow, them expecting PS5 sales to decline at this stage is pretty bonkers. Combine that with the news they don't have any major franchise titles released for the foreseeable future does make you wonder just what is going on behind the scenes here. Crazy to think PS5 is entering it's fourth year on the market without a notable franchise headliner, by Sony's own admission. That's something you'd expect from a console like the Wii U as opposed to a PlayStation.

It's been 3 years, don't think it's that surprising in a typical 6-7 year life cycle, especially when your machine hasn't seen a slash in the MSRP, which, by the way, Sony can't seem to afford implementing because they ain't winning much, their margins are thin.

They're kinda stuck, and with some of the quotes I've been reading, among the countermeasures they could opt for are layoffs, of course.

It's like with the Gameboy, using weathered tech that is more mature, albeit weaker but provides more consistency.

They only really fumbled with Wii U on that tech front due to a number of factors.
No, that's not what I described.
It's a bit unfortunate how Yokoi's 'Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology' philosophy got traction among mainstream and how now it is passively accepted by many as the main driver behind Nintendo's business decisions.
Nintendo business' core principle is 'dokuso' that is roughly translated as 'creating something unique'.
The other core principle that guides Nintendo is a defeatish one: eventually people will get bored by even the best and most amusing trick in the World therefore if an enterteinter wants to keep people amused he need to learn to surprise with new and unexpected tricks otherwise he will be left behind (repeating a past success carry you only for so long).
To create products that adhere to the above principles Nintendo leverage its unique "hardware-software integration".
How does Nintendo achieve novelties?
Sometime it may leverage withered technology (cheap and reliable) to create unprecedented fun experiences.
A text-book example of which is the Game & Watch series that leveraged the surplus production of liquid screens of the time meant for watches and calculators to create an unprecedented entertainment product (so for a totally different field).
This approach, if pulled off successful, is especially appreciated by small companies (like Nintendo was around the '70s and '80s) because it requires small R&D budget.
Other times it may leverage cutting edge tech (now Nintendo is the richest company in Japan in terms of 'cash and cash equivalent' so it can invest higher sum of money than whatever the Nintendo's of the '80s could dream of) to create unprecedented fun experiences but with the requirement that the cost/price must be within the price range families are typically ready to spend for entertainment products.
An example of the latter is the Switch.

Last edited:
Playstation 5 just overtook Lifetime sales of Super Nintendo, Gameboy Color and should pass Xbox One next quarter.

te4IKjN.png

Last edited:
A lot of those yearly numbers especially for older systems must be estimates, but GB/GBC is definitely off. It has Game Boy numbers ending with the official shipment through March 1998 and GBC picking up immediately thereafter. But GBC didn't release until October and there were still GB Pockets sold alongside it. So I've always figured the split was closer to 70/50.

New article from CNBC about Sony's stock plunge and, more worringly, their incredibly low profit margins:

Sony plunged $10 billion after its PS5 sales cut. But a bigger issue is its near decade low games margin

Those low profit margins are insane. I think we're definitely at the point now where if even Sony are struggling to control ballooning budgets, that the industry as a whole needs to take a step back and reign in the scope, scale and complexity of their games. This is just not sustainable and releasing more games as multiplatform releases is just going to be a sticking plaster

Last edited:
New article from CNBC about Sony's stock plunge and, more worringly, their incredibly low profit margins:

Sony plunged $10 billion after its PS5 sales cut. But a bigger issue is its near decade low games margin

Those low profit margins are insane. I think we're definitely at the point now where if even Sony are struggling to control ballooning budgets, that the indiustry as a whole needs to take a step back and reign in the scope, scale and complexity of their games. This is just not sustainable and releasing more games as multiplatform releases is just going to be a sticking plaster
Either graphics should stay peaked at 4k, or gens needs to last longer. Like, 1.5 times longer:
• 6 year lifecycles should now last 9

But Nintendo should be able to prove that a console generation can last eight years

Plus the PS4 is still alive, anyways, and that one wasn’t that big of a jump from PS3.

Guess we need more generations akin to PS4 and Switch

I wonder if it’s because, and maybe this is just my stance, there isn’t a game or a few games I can point to that are the defining games of the PS5. Every generation of console there’s always a couple of games that you can point that define or show the true ability of a console but honestly I can’t think of one for the PS5. It feels like there’s been a promise since its launch those defining games are coming any day now but with them stating they don’t plan on any big launches in 2025 now and nothing so far in 2024 that fills that roles it feels like wasted potential

I wonder if it’s because, and maybe this is just my stance, there isn’t a game or a few games I can point to that are the defining games of the PS5. Every generation of console there’s always a couple of games that you can point that define or show the true ability of a console but honestly I can’t think of one for the PS5. It feels like there’s been a promise since its launch those defining games are coming any day now but with them stating they don’t plan on any big launches in 2025 now and nothing so far in 2024 that fills that roles it feels like wasted potential
Wouldn’t Rebirth be that game?

Back
Top Bottom