• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Sony Announces Acquisition of Bungie - $3.6bn - will remain multiplatform

Destiny 3 exclusive to PS

Now watch Nintendo buying Crytek and Crysis 4 is exclusive to next Switch HW.

This month in a nutshell :

1643653909-sans-titre-8.jpg

Imagine buying Bungie for half the price of fucking Bethesda lmao
Seems like a pretty high number to pay compared to the dollar-to-value of MS' deals...
With acquisitions, it's really important to state that Supply and Demand is still a thing, and developers, development resources, and technology are in very short supply, especially from last year. And with there being less and less third party companies left, the price of purchasing increases far above that market value. And of course, the reasoning too.

With Activision, Bobby wanted a golden parachute because the value of the company was plummeted. So MS got a really good deal.

It's kind of the same with Bethesda as well, as the circumstances really needed Bethesda to be sold off.

With Bungie though? They had relatively young leadership, their game was still doing great. They needed a bit of coaxing, and a little schmoozing.

Again, I really don't think Sony is buying Bungie for the IP. It's moreso for the experience, technology, and developers. They have the experience to cover up many of Sony's blind spots.

Thereā€™s pressure on Nintendo. Not too much though because some of these companies didnā€™t really support them. But itā€™s still about the future if business partners keep disappearing

Someone is going to end up buying Sega, I really kind of know it. Especially with Sega exiting the arcade business, that leaves them a lot more open to acquisition then before.

As a Switch (and sometimes steam) only gamer I'm glad I'm not affected by these buy outs and it shows Nintendo's strengths in choosing their close development partners wisely.

Interesting to note is that Bungie is remaining an independent company and not merely a sub-unit of PlayStation Studios like Sony's other acquisitions. My guess is that SIE will take over publishing of Destiny on PS4 and PS5, while also publishing for any new game Bungie releases.
it looks like Bungie is retaining the right to self-publish Destiny and future games, which is crazy to me

A corporate acquisition of this scale would take more than two weeks, it has definitely been in the works for a while. Especially as Sony partnered early with Bungie on Destiny.
Ah okay, seems more reasonable.

But I find it strange they paid that much for Bungie, who doesn't really own IPs outside of Destiny, while Bethesda had lots of them and only cost about twice as much.

Perhaps they went on a bidding war with MS on this?

Someone is going to end up buying Sega, I really kind of know it. Especially with Sega exiting the arcade business, that leaves them a lot more open to acquisition then before.
There are a lot more hoops to jump through to buy a Japanese company.

It should be telling that no platform holder has bought one yet in the recent acquisition spree.

Also, thatā€™s not an insignificant amount of money for Sony, so I think the speculation about a Japanese publisher (Sega, Square Enix, or Capcom) just took a big hit, and this confirms an intent to double down on the western strategy.
I thought that was the most obvious answer when they didnā€™t spring for Atlus when they had the chance. Considering they keep talking about how important it is yet the couldnā€™t spare the money to acquire them? Never mind when has Sony recently cared enough about JP to actually acquire any of the studios there.

Imagine buying Bungie for half the price of fucking Bethesda lmao
to be fair tho, beth was a total steal. they were super cheap compared to all the acquisitions that happened after. i think if they were to sell in 2022 they'd be no cheaper than 20 bil.

I thought that was the most obvious answer when they didnā€™t spring for Atlus when they had the chance. Considering they keep talking about how important it is yet the couldnā€™t spare the money to acquire them? Never mind when has Sony recently cared enough about JP to actually acquire any of the studios there.
that and consolidating Japan Studio into Team Asobi. they are doubling down on prestige games and it's fuckin' boring, imo

I still don't think Nintendo is going to jump on the acquisition bandwagon unless a partner is threatened.

I still don't think Nintendo is going to jump on the acquisition bandwagon unless a partner is threatened.
same. unless HAL/IntSys/game freak/etc indicate that they want to sell, it's gonna business as usual for nintento.

Iā€™m truly curious as to what fantasy people have of Nintendo just going around and acquiring someone. Their acquisition targets are either outside the industry or a more vulnerable western one, even then. I doubt Nintendo is going to make a studio for anyone who doesnā€™t want to be acquired. If a partner or even NIS wants to sell then maybe. But for their partner studios in particular they own the trademarks and ip. The most likely answer is Nintendo, possibly some others, continuing to slowly buy stocks to make any acquisition harder for the bigger pubs/devs. In the meantime they will continue to headhunt in their region or in case a partner is threatened headhunt the talent into the EPD fold.

Edit: they only types of companies I can see Nintendo acquiring is either a PC dev or a mobile dev to continue their mobile strategy for both platforms.

So Sony paid $3.6B to-

-Make sure Destiny doesn't leave PS
-Get the entire Destiny live service pie instead of just the slice they were already getting
-Maybe share talent and technology to make their own multiplayer FPS someday

Not really a groundbreaking deal, but must be a profitable one if they made it. Glad they came out and said they'll keep games multiplatform (hope that includes Xbox and not just PC). So far I haven't been affected by the acquisition war as no one has gobbled up a Japanese developer, but can't shake the feeling it'll happen sooner rather than later.

That's... certainly something lol. I just find it really hilarious that you have Sony and MS acquiring all these massive developers and publishers and Nintendo is just still doing their own thing lol.

Still, I don't see Nintendo acquiring anyone unless they're threatened. Also, I don't see major Japanese companies such as SQ Enix or Sega getting acquired. The Bungie purchase shows Sony is still going all out for the Western strategy.

I have to imagine that means PS/PC in the future with current contracts being honored or it'd make very little sense. Hard to determine the value of this in general but I imagine it's worth it for them. I also feel Sony will get a Japanese dev at some point, I just hope it's not any time soon.

Last edited:
Yeah honestly, all I ask for at this point is for the big Japanese publishers to remain independent.
Once Sony or Microsoft gets their hands on a Japanese studio then people might finally speak up more on Nintendo acquiring studios. Itā€™s a business. They should be paying attention. You donā€™t need someone to come into Japan to finally do something.

It would be a bummer if somebody bought say Capcom, or one of the Nintendo close partners like Hal and Intelligent Systems. Otherwise I'm not really caring about this stuff, but it's a bit worrying šŸ˜…

It's still Sega Sammy, so first they would have to split up from Sammy who are in the gambling industry.

Once Sony or Microsoft gets their hands on a Japanese studio then people might finally speak up more on Nintendo acquiring studios. Itā€™s a business. They should be paying attention. You donā€™t need someone to come into Japan to finally do something.

It would be a bummer if somebody bought say Capcom, or one of the Nintendo close partners like Hal and Intelligent Systems. Otherwise I'm not really caring about this stuff, but it's a bit worrying šŸ˜…
Serious question, when was the last time a Japanese game studio was bought? Most of the transitions have been mergers, I don't think it's easy or feasible for any big publisher to outright buy a Japanese studio, or especially a Japanese publisher like Capcom.

I can see Sony acquiring Capcom but I think Square is just more likely. But like Skittzo says it's hard to buy out a Japanese company. I don't think Hal or Intelligent Systems are going anywhere lol. I'd be more concerned about Bandai Namco.

ngl, seems like a waste of money from sony šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I donā€™t see how this is ā€œseismicā€ according to Schreier. Symbolic? sure given Bungieā€™s past association with MS and Activision. But theyā€™re one developer working on a single franchise that I donā€™t think the mainstream pays that much attention to these days.

It is more of an effort to acquire a Japanese studio but at this rate I'd be surprised if 2022 came and went and none of them got scooped up.

It is more of an effort to acquire a Japanese studio but at this rate I'd be surprised if 2022 came and went and none of them got scooped up.
People have been saying this exact thing for like the past decade. And yet...

I can see Sony acquiring Capcom but I think Square is just more likely. But like Skittzo says it's hard to buy out a Japanese company. I don't think Hal or Intelligent Systems are going anywhere lol. I'd be more concerned about Bandai Namco.

I'd be worried about Bandai Namco the least. They've got their hands in so many things beyond video games. They are one of the biggest toy makers in the world.

Back
Top Bottom