• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Solidarity with Creatives of Fami: Let's Share Socials!

What non-Twitter social media websites do you currently use?

• Tumblr

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Facebook

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Tiktok

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Mastodon

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Threads

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Cohost

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Bluesky

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Other(s)

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

paranoodle

no longer on fami
Pronouns
they/them
Greetings fellow Famiboardites,

So, as some of you may have noticed by now, the state of social media recently has been a bit of a shitshow, with Twitter (I'm not calling it anything else) especially going down the drain in a myriad of ways. For some people, this has been funny. For some it's been mildly irritating. For some, it hasn't been noticeable (I envy you).

But for some others, especially creatives (any kinds of artists, journalists, streamers, reviewers, etc), and more generally, people who depend on social media for visibility, including professionally, this has been a complete nightmare. Parts of the audience are leaving social media entirely. Parts are leaving specific sites and restarting their follow list from scratch elsewhere. Parts are staying on the sites that creatives are leaving and not branching out anywhere else. Sometimes, the audience is miraculously still there, but The Algorithms™️ have decided to stop showing them the work of people they follow.

Thankfully, Famiboards, as a fairly niche forum, is pretty exempt from this, and mostly just watching from the sidelines.

I suggest using its situation as a way to do a little to help out all the creators who are having a rough time of it, sometimes having to restart from scratch on sites with pretty lacking discovery tools, and no existing networks for them.

What does this actually entail, though?

For creatives/people who make stuff:
(toggle BB code first to type this - you can toggle back after)
Code:
[b]Name(s):[/b] your usual online handle, maybe your other handles
[b]What you make:[/b] stuff, a picture if relevant
[b]Where we can find you:[/b][URL='website.com/your_name']site_name[/URL], etc

Use the template above to tell us a little about what you do, and drop your socials. As many as you want, as obscure as you want. Content-oriented websites (Youtube, Twitch, DeviantArt, etc) as well. Like, throw in your Neocities or other custom website if you have one. Try not to include more than one image (and of a reasonable size), unless it's behind spoilers, so people don't have to scroll through a lot. I'll include my own in a later post, in case bits of the template are unclear. In general I would recommend against linking to Twitter given that it's probably in its death throes right now, but I won't stop you.

If your socials only contain 100% SFW content, disregard the following spoiler section.
However, if you have social media accounts that:
  • Are mainly SFW but contain some NSFW content
  • Have a SFW username
  • Are properly indicated as containing NSFW content (just a "this link contains NSFW content" is fine)
  • And you do not post anything NSFW in this thread, whether it be text or images or embeds or anything else. Use preview if you're not sure how an embed will look.
Then posting them in this thread is still allowed. I requested this permission from staff, given how few socials allow NSFW at all and how content creators that make any adult content whatsoever are among the ones most affected by the problems at Twitter, and the state of social media in general. This permission may be revoked at any time, staff are keeping an eye on the thread in general, and breaking any of these rules will most likely be considered equivalent to breaking site rules on NSFW content.

For the audience (and creatives who want to find other people):

Go through this thread (I'll try to keep profiles threadmarked, with help from @VolcanicDynamo ), and if anyone does anything that seems up your alley, give them a follow on whatever websites you use. Hell, pick up new sites too if one seems interesting. Get an RSS reader (if anyone has good recommendations for one, I'll add it here) if you want everything in one place and don't plan on interacting. Remember that reblogging (or whatever each site calls it) makes a huge difference for a lot of people and that even just likes/favorites mean a lot.

Bonus - Useful tools
  • For migrating from Twitter to Mastodon, Bluesky, Threads, or other ActivityPub sites (as either creative or audience), you can use Fedifinder to see if anyone you're currently following has links to those sites in their profile (requires logging in via Twitter)
  • If you've recently moved to Mastodon and are looking for more accounts to follow, Followgraph suggests new accounts based on the follows of people you're already following (does not require logging in, only uses public follow lists)

Since we'll be threadmarking profiles, feel free to have as much chatter as you want. I assume there'll probably be discussions/questions about various sites, especially some of the lesser-known ones, which will probably also be helpful for a lot of people. Feel free to share other useful tools as well if you know any, we'll add them to the OP too.

Here's hoping everyone finds something they like in here! ❤️

Name: paranoodle (and paranoodles but only on Twitter)
What you make: I'm an artist and game dev! I mainly post both illustrations and dev screenshots/devlogs depending on what I'm working on. Most of it is original work, but there's a handful of fanart too (mostly of JRPGs)
d65f1dc7f18c48fc6221068e70ce27d562761234.png

Where we can find you: Tumblr, Mastodon, Itch.io (games/demos), Toyhouse (original character profiles), Artfol, Dreamwidth (longform posting, let's plays)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's posts in here! While some of my socials have been up for a long time (Tumblr since 2012, oh god), I've been on-and-off them a bit, and some I've only joined in the last few months, so I'd love to find new people to follow, especially if we have similar tastes! And especially other devs, it's nice seeing projects evolve, and while I know there's a couple of us in here, I've always found the forum format harder to follow for it because it's easy to miss where the discussions are happening.

So I currently have none of those (well I have an old Facebook that's my personal one and I haven't used it in like a decade) but I'm not entirely sure which of these would be good to try out for specifically publicizing my game. I'm thinking of joining Threads at least, but is it or Bluesky actually going to become a popular Twitter replacement?

So I currently have none of those (well I have an old Facebook that's my personal one and I haven't used it in like a decade) but I'm not entirely sure which of these would be good to try out for specifically publicizing my game. I'm thinking of joining Threads at least, but is it or Bluesky actually going to become a popular Twitter replacement?
From what I’ve gathered, Blue Sky seems to have attracted the more online game enthusiast crowd, as well as some creatives, and some communities, and has an overall cozy and left leaning vibe, while Threads has done a better job getting major brands and large influencers on board early, and it’s connection to instagram gives it a huge but fairly casual base, which has helped it become the largest Twitter replacement to date, but I also get the feeling people aren’t sticking around past initial feeling out. I get the vibe that it’s basically Facebook cosplaying as Twitter, but would say it’s the most likely to take a bite out of Twitter’s business.

I've been avoiding Threads (on top of being owned by Meta, it's unavailable in my country anywyay) and Bluesky (invite-only, web3 lean) so far, so I can't speak to those. I'll let others chime in. But so far from my time on Mastodon.ART there's already been a handful of devs to interact with and the instance is pretty big and welcoming. I don't quite know how well it'll do for reach, but if nothing else it's a decent option for more long-term networking.

One thing I've seen pick up traction recently too especially in the slightly older "grew up with internet" crowd (as in, millenials and younger gen X-ers), which could be relevant for you given how there's some nostalgia around aspects of your game's genre in there, is Neocities. It's a throwback to good old geocities, but with some more modern additions like supporting RSS feeds and letting people follow sites (for updates) the same way they would follow social media accounts. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could find like-minded devs or an audience via there. You can link to it from your other socials too, to make things look clean.

Other than that, I would say keep an eye on the thread poll. Even if there's a site that's maybe not optimal for your use case, if you see a lot of people on here say they go there, and you post your link to it here, that's this many people in this thread who have 0 friction to potentially giving you a follow. And as we've all seen with social media, friction is everything.

switchum (music)
What a fun idea! i've just gotten into content creation within the last year, so I'm happy to share!

Name(s): switchum
What you make: Music! Specifically, comedy and nerdy stuff. I want to make songs that don't take themselves too seriously and hopefully make people laugh. My first song is an example of this philosophy, as a Nintendo diss track
0hTOsND.jpg

Where we can find you: YouTube

suswave (music, art, videos, game dev)
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Collateral Damage Studios (illustration)
Hello y'all. I'm not sure how I feel about my post in the 'Twitter/X is dead' thread netting me my most 'Yeah' ever. Let THIS self-promo post be the one with the most yeahs.

Collateral Damage Studios

e5d6Kn9.jpg

That's the anime illustration studio that I work for. As the General Manager, my job is to handle the creative studio's administrative matters, run the social media accounts, manage the projects that we have to finish and of course, source for new businesses to pay us. Enough with the boring stuff, onwards with the cool shit we do.

So Collateral Damage Studios. Or CDS for short. Our studio started as a doujin circle, participating in artist alleys around Asia. Over time, our team grew in fame and started getting approached by corporate clients. Around a decade ago, some of us decided to professionalize and set up the studio formally. Since that fateful decision, the studio has been paying my bills and providing good art for our clients.

These are the social media accounts that we have. The more active ones, at least. I do try to reserve our usual 'collateralds' on new, interesting socmed though.

Website
Facebook
Twitter/X
Instagram

There's also art websites and we try to post some updates over there too.

Behance (for whole, larger-scale projects)
Artstation (for illustrations)
Dribbble (for UI related art)
Deviantart (for CDS marketing visuals and non-commercial illustrations)
Furaffinity (for furry artworks)
Storenvy (buy our art!)

You might have even seen some artworks we did before. (Especially if you had gone for Anime Expo before). But since this is Famiboards, here are some of the artworks we've done for games on the Switch!

collateral-damage-studios-rotp-key-art.jpg

collateral-damage-studios-ara-fell-key-art-render-preview.jpg

7c027c64254469.5acc884dcdaaa.png

0a201c64254469.5acc884dce8e9.png

4ff32d64254469.5acc884dccc2f.png

collateral-damage-studios-ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

21cf26159629725.63a289a58ae0d.jpg

bb50e7159629725.63a28f4009255.jpg

fccab3159629725.63a28f40e45cd.jpg

collateral-damage-studios-gom-concept-layered.jpg

Last edited:
slide's (3d illustration and animation)

I'm also very curious to see which of these newer platforms people end up gravitating toward. I do like YouTube as a semi-permanent hosting spot for video stuff and having an individual website is nice too but neither of those are especially "social". cohost seems like a genuinely nice platform but it doesn't seem interested in generating a critical mass of users (not a negative, it's just never going to be a twitter or tumblr replacement) and I still haven't really looked into what mastodon and bluesky are lol.

Last edited:
Hello y'all. I'm not sure how I feel about my post in the 'Twitter/X is dead' thread netting me my most 'Yeah' ever. Let THIS self-promo post be the one with the most yeahs.

Collateral Damage Studios

e5d6Kn9.jpg

That's the anime illustration studio that I work for. As the General Manager, my job is to handle the creative studio's administrative matters, run the social media accounts, manage the projects that we have to finish and of course, source for new businesses to pay us. Enough with the boring stuff, onwards with the cool shit we do.

So Collateral Damage Studios. Or CDS for short. Our studio started as a doujin circle, participating in artist alleys around Asia. Over time, our team grew in fame and started getting approached by corporate clients. Around a decade ago, some of us decided to professionalize and set up the studio formally. Since that fateful decision, the studio has been paying my bills and providing good art for our clients.

These are the social media accounts that we have. The more active ones, at least. I do try to reserve our usual 'collateralds' on new, interesting socmed though.

Website
Facebook
Twitter/X
Instagram

There's also art websites and we try to post some updates over there too.

Behance (for whole, larger-scale projects)
Artstation (for illustrations)
Dribbble (for UI related art)
Deviantart (for CDS marketing visuals and non-commercial illustrations)
Furaffinity (for furry artworks)
Storenvy (buy our art!)
Those look really good! I hadn't really thought about how illustration studios paired up with games like this before, even if it seems pretty obvious in hindsight. Does the studio tend to do more "final" illustrations than in-development ones (I'm not sure how to word it, things like character design etc) or is it pretty even? I didn't realize it was your work on Rise of Third Power, really fun to see a name I recognize.

Could I request that you put some of the illustrations behind a spoiler tag though? That way it's easier to scroll through the post and doesn't push down other people's posts as much.

I'm also very curious to see which of these newer platforms people end up gravitating toward. I do like YouTube as a semi-permanent hosting spot for video stuff and having an individual website is nice too but neither of those are especially "social". cohost seems like a genuinely nice platform but it doesn't seem interested in generating a critical mass of users (not a negative, it's just never going to be a twitter or tumblr replacement) and I still haven't really looked into what mastodon and bluesky are lol.
YouTube is definitely super useful, but yeah it's overwhelmingly a tool and more "media" than "social" to me. Neocities straddles the line in a weird way but I agree about websites in general too.

Cohost is... strange. There's a lot I like about it in theory (it's Tumblr without a lot of the things I dislike about Tumblr), but in practice I haven't been able to click with it (it's also Tumblr without a lot of the things I do like about Tumblr). There isn't much of a userbase, and even if there was, the way the site is set up makes it really hard to connect with each other. And the lack of metrics is good in some ways, but they've pushed it far enough that it makes you feel really disconnected from any responses/interactions with your posts. Just, too much friction in general.

Mastodon's been around for a while, it's basically a decentralized take on microblogging. It's taken off in some circles, but I think it's a little too intimidating to the average person to really take off, because you need to pick a server to register with and that's a lot of friction if you don't know why you should pick one server over another. That said, you can easily migrate your account from one server to another, so it's not a permanent decision. And you can follow people from across servers, you don't all have to be in the same place.

My personal recommendation for anyone wanting to try it would be:
  • If you're looking for personal/casual use and there isn't already a server you want to join, just start with https://mastodon.social/, and you can move to another more specialized server if you run across somewhere you like better
  • If you're looking for a place to post creative work (illustration, game dev, writing, photography, video, design, etc etc), https://mastodon.art/ came recommended to me and it's been a nice experience for me in the short time I've been there so far. Again, you can move to somewhere more specialized later
Bluesky is designed to be a Twitter replacement for late-stage-but-still-pre-Musk Twitter. From what I've heard it's the closest of the alternatives to replicating that, but that comes with both the pros and cons you'd expect from that, including the libertarian lean among executive staff. It's also still in beta, so it's invite-only and features aren't all in yet. From what I understand a lot of politics Twitter and a chunk of games-related Twitter have moved to there, but I don't know what other groups have followed. Personally I'm not convinced so far, but I assume this varies based on your needs and preferences a lot.

Those look really good! I hadn't really thought about how illustration studios paired up with games like this before, even if it seems pretty obvious in hindsight. Does the studio tend to do more "final" illustrations than in-development ones (I'm not sure how to word it, things like character design etc) or is it pretty even? I didn't realize it was your work on Rise of Third Power, really fun to see a name I recognize.

Could I request that you put some of the illustrations behind a spoiler tag though? That way it's easier to scroll through the post and doesn't push down other people's posts as much.

And.... done. Seeing names you recognize are quite fun. One of our original doujin artists went on to be employed by Koei Tecmo. So I regularly see his name credited within Koei Tecmo developed games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Persona 5 Strikers.

We do a mix of preproduction art and marketing visuals for games. I only shared the art from games on Switch. But we were involved in some games that were on Steam as well. Any developers on Famiboards, please contact me if you want some art done!

And.... done. Seeing names you recognize are quite fun. One of our original doujin artists went on to be employed by Koei Tecmo. So I regularly see his name credited within Koei Tecmo developed games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Persona 5 Strikers.

We do a mix of preproduction art and marketing visuals for games. I only shared the art from games on Switch. But we were involved in some games that were on Steam as well. Any developers on Famiboards, please contact me if you want some art done!
Oh wow yeah, it must be pretty wild to see someone move up through the industry like that. I used to be friends with someone who worked at Tri-Ace for a while and there was something kind of unreal about it haha.

That's really cool! If any of the devs I know mention looking for art, I'll make sure to let them know about you ☺️

Back
Top Bottom