• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club So what are YOU doing with your Switch 1 once you get a Switch 2?

what ya doin’ with that old thang

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
It’s March 2025. You just got your Switch 2. What are you doing with your Switch 1?

keeping it to play everything but exclusives

the new one is supposed to be huge and have an LCD screen. I am NOT taking a Wii U gamepad with me in the car

Not sure tbh, the Lite form factor has been a huge boon for portable play and I imagine Switch 2 will be a big chonker

I might wait to transfer all my Switch data until a Lite 2 model comes out

image.png

Well, first I have to wait and see if there are enough games I want on the Switch 2. This approach is working well re: upgrading my PS4 Pro to a PS5. Still don't have the PS5!

I'm also worried about the size. Switch 1 is already a strain to play with small hands and Switch 2 could be chonky.

I found out recently that I have an OG red box Switch which is quite moddable evidently. I enjoyed tinkering with my 3DS so I would probably enjoy doing the same on Switch if there are no real consequences.

incidentally, when I got my OLED my second V1 went to my sister

(my first V1 had already gone to my other sister)

We'll continue to use it in the family, me, the wife, the kids or whoever.

There's going to be plenty of games I would still be able to play on that thing that wouldnt really be a better experience on the Switch 2

My MO lately has been once a console goes end-of-life, mod the heck out of it, even if it's just so I can dump/back-up my games and saves from it; the latter part might not be as big a priority depending on what backwards compatibility looks like though, but I'm sure I'll find something cool to do with my launch-day Switch

Well I suppose I'll keep it since it is an OLED model. Probably will just copy the last of my captures to my PC and then delete them. I'll shut it off and place it in the box.

Assuming Switch 2 has backwards compatibility that is comprehensive for all of the OG Switch’s library… I’ll probably just trade it in towards a 2.

Might give it to a friend or family member if anyone really wants it though, but the only people I know that fall into that category would probably also be getting a 2.

I'll probably keep it - I have kids now so that will be something they can maybe use when they get older.

I've always sold consoles when I get a new one and I always end up regretting it.

I'll probably hack it and put the home improvement guy into smash or whatever homebrew people are doing out there

If Switch Next is BC (physical and digital), I’ll place it next to my other old consoles for decoration purpose. If not, I’ll keep it plugged to my TV.

I have a launch model so I will take a look at modding it and mess around with that for a bit.

I'll mainly use it to trade with myself in Pokemon.

I’m definitely keeping my OG Switch to softmod. I haven’t explored homebrew or ROM hacks for Switch games so I don’t know what’s out there.

After softmodding other handhelds, I really like the QOL improvements. For Nintendo DSi, it was great to digitize my entire library. This was spurred by the report a few years ago that DS/3DS game cards were deteriorating though that seemed to be exaggerated. I kept the physical games and cases, but not swapping the actual cards has been 🤌.

It will have incredible sentimental value, and I will treasure it. I've never been a collector or anything, I'm pathologically nostalgic which tends to make me belittle everything that exists now, but as someone who loves BECAUSE NINTENDO video games, the Switch is nothing short of a gigantic and improbable miracle, and its historical value is incredible. Nobody expected this. Many early life cycle games, including Zelda and ESPECIALLY Mario Odyssey were screaming something like "we may die, but we'll do it on our own terms and in our own way". I'm sure the more time passes, the more we'll realise just how dazzling that is.

I've never been a console warrior in my life. I love Nintendo deeply, and that's never stopped me from admiring Sega, rejecting the Wii in favour of Sony or loving my series S, which is brilliant, even though Microsoft inspires enormous contempt in me.

But the Switch is, like, just wonderful news in an industry awash with bad news, a cause for joy and hope in the middle of the sadness, crunch, and laysoff all around.

Maybe Nintendo will smash its head in afterwards. It's not a cuddly toy, it's not friends, it's a corporation like any other. But no one will ever be able to erase that slightly unreal state of grace that the Switch has crystallised.

take out the batteries and keep them in a drawer like all my other gaming systems

I really gotta start taking out the batteries

My SP battery got inflated so i just put it in a ziploc because i dont have the screwdriver to loosen it 😭

I'm probably not going to buy a Switch 2 for a few years but even if I do my Switch isn't going anywhere. You have a lot of faith in Nintendo to not screw it up.

keeping it to play everything but exclusives

the new one is supposed to be huge and have an LCD screen. I am NOT taking a Wii U gamepad with me in the car
I'll wait to see how the actual screen looks on the Switch 2 before making a judgment call, but I might be in a similar boat.

If I'm okay with how it looks, I'll probably put my Switch OLED on my shelf for display as I do with my other Nintendo handhelds I don't use often.

i'll probably just stuff it in a box in a closet somewhere like my Wii U and only think about it when I get asked questions like this like my Wii U

Depends. I likely won’t get a Switch 2 at launch unless MonHun is on it. I’ll happily keep chipping away at games on it. Once I do upgrade, I’ll likely still keep it to play the stuff that’s already installed on it because I’m lazy like that. New console, new slate.

Probably modding it. I can do much of what I would generally want to do with my Steam Deck, but the Switch is a lot lighter and more comfortable to play handheld for extended sessions.

I've been slowly building a collection of every Nintendo handheld and always regret getting rid of old ones, so I'll keep it! As long as the new device doesn't have OLED, I'll probably use the old one for certain indie games and such.

Imma switch it

tumblr-m0cc9zc-DP51rqfhi2o1-250.gif

Seriously, I'll keep it. Like I keep all my consoles.

This thing is still 1 year away. My current Switch lite would definitely be dead by that time. Its battery dies like in an instant already. If not, it should lose the rubbers on the analog sticks at the least.

Most likely donate it to my family. My brother's been stuck with a Switch Lite and can't do local multiplayer on games like Smash with his friends.

If its back compat with Switch 1 (to the extent PS5 is) i'll call it an upgrade and i trade it in towards a Switch 2 for a discount

Sell it, not a fan of collecting junk (because that's what the machine would become if the successor was fully retrocompatible).

If it's backwards compatible and everything carries over, I would sell it off probably.

I will give it to my nephew and niece with a few physical games I replaced with digital copies.

If it's BC then I MIGHT trade it in for switch 2. I digress, I love the OLED screen so I just might hold onto it and keep it in my setup if the new one is LCD.

Checking on it regularly to prevent a fire from the swollen battery (one day this will happen like with every lithium battery). This reminds me, I have to check my PS3 and 4 controllers

Back
Top Bottom