• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club So is Detective Pikachu just cursed or something?

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
  • First movie, despite getting good reviews and being hyped up, does merely okay at the box office
  • Second movie gets announced, now it's MIA with actors casting doubt on it happening
  • New Detective Pikachu game gets announced, also goes MIA

As a fan of the movie, this really sucks. And I heard the games were good too.

I suspect the game sequel was announced too early. Whether we actually see it again is a different question.

Movie is probably dead, yeah.

To be fair, the second movie was never actually announced and a few months after the first movie released, COVID happened which could have changed any and all plans.

The timing of Detective Pikachu's first movie is probably what killed it. Just weeks after Endgame. Due to the popularity of Endgame, places kept culling screens from other movies to show Endgame more. My local cinema definitely did that.

😭😭

I really enjoyed both the movie and the game so this hurts a lot. I don't really have a great grasp of Hollywood moving and shaking so I have no idea what to read from the movie series having no movement for so long but I want to feel confident the game is still in the works. I loved the game play style of the original, plus we got that incredible massive amiibo!

How can we say this in confidence when we are getting a plushie based on this:

3624983-p6141_701-05371_02.jpg

By all conceivable metrics the product was a success

We did go almost 2 years between the release of Chapters 1-3 on 3DS in Japan in 2016 to the release of the entire product globally in 2018 too

I believe the game actually only got greenlit just before the reveal of it, off the back of the success of the movie, and that's why we haven't heard anything

I suspect the game sequel was announced too early.
This is also precisely what happened with the original game, actually. It was shown on a random Japanese TV Show all the way back in 2013!
tumblr_mv2nxcIw301qzp9weo1_250.gif

I feel like everyone has probably seen this infamous GIF it spawned by now.

It was supposed to release in 2015, but got pushed back a year. Then promptly took another two years to get localized.

The Detective Pikachu games just get announced really early for some reason. It's probably still coming, it'll just take some time.

I agree with Joe. I get the impression that Detective Pikachu was announced within a couple of months of the project being started. There was such a long period of time between the initial reveal and the final release. Maybe that's the case with the sequel.

The film absolutely deserved better, but it released way too close to Endgame. I feel that any chance of a sequel has probably vanished, which is a damn shame. There was a lot of love poured into DP: The Movie, and it could have been the start of something special. I'd like to believe that this isn't the end for live action Pokémon movies.

This is also precisely what happened with the original game, actually. It was shown on a random Japanese TV Show all the way back in 2013!
tumblr_mv2nxcIw301qzp9weo1_250.gif

I feel like everyone has probably seen this infamous GIF it spawned by now.

It was supposed to release in 2015, but got pushed back a year. Then promptly took another two years to get localized.

Oh, I knew about the gif but I didn't know it was actually announced as a detective game. Thanks!

Honestly I think the movie did only okay at the box office because the Detective Pikachu concept just plain sucks, I'm sorry.

Honestly I think the movie did only okay at the box office because the Detective Pikachu concept just plain sucks, I'm sorry.
The movie doesn't do a great job of representing it. It basically completely ignores the aspect where they can get useful information out of Pokémon via Pikachu, and also the way the movie tried to make the antagonist more exciting is honestly kind of dumb.

What if I told you at the beginning of 2019 that Sonic the Hedgehog would be better received and get a sequel created before Detective Pikachu.

I would have bet the house that a Sonic sequel wouldn't happen.

Hot take: Movie will still happen but Nintendo wants 2022 to hype up the Mario movie up the to sky

They should try a live action movie with a more traditional Pokémon concept and see how that goes. Something like the Power of Us, but live action, and without Ash

I would love to see more Pokemon films in the style of Detective Pikachu, the movie was a lot better than I expected.

I find the Detective Pikachu plot not very good, so strange that they trow so many projetcs at it, even if they don't find a lot of success.

The first thing I'd say is that I'd take a DX version of the first one for Switch before a sequel was going to hit.

And secondly, the fact that they went with the Det. Pikachu idea first rather than an sport style trainer story movie in that franchise just shows that they though Ryan Reynolds and Pikachu were bigger draws. Just give us an HD world story based kinda off Ash's original journey and I'm there.

Back
Top Bottom