• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion So, in the end and after playing it, what did you think of the visuals in Advance Wars Reboot Camp?

What did you think of them?

• They are solid and I liked them more than the original

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • They are solid and I liked them as much as the original

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • They are solid but I prefer the original

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • They are fine but I prefer the original

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Just not a fan

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

ILovethegameAC

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He
Since the announcement, the visuals on the AW remake has been the most divisive part of the game, with some people just not being a fan of them especially compared to the original.
I have to say that I was on that group at first, but after playing I honestly quite liked them, there are some graphical details that could be better like having more complex animations or camera angles instead of imitating the old sprite look so closely, and if Wayforward is gonna remake the DS/SNES games or make a new entry I wish they improove what they did, but overall I think it looks cute. Not sure if I like it as more as the original since the pixel art there ware excellent though.
What did you think of them after playing?

Last edited:
Apart from the fact it's a bit of a moot point because any AW player that values their time is gonna disable battle animations by the second day and those were the sorest spot, I think they're more than fine.

I actually find them a bit better than the original pixel art at conveying the entire "toy war" aesthetic, even if the originaly art style is iconic in a general sense.

"They are fine but I prefer the original" is where I'm at, but I'm also not married to the originals' visuals that much in the first place.

Perfectly fine, and I assume you're not talking about the actual animations that show when you're attacking because like @Tangerine_Cookie said those went off instantly. I need it fast lol

Some things look better, some things look worse, so I guess my feeling on it is neutral.

What I will say is I think this art style will fit better if/when the series gets a new title.

If the option was there, I’d put it as the animations / graphics are good and a lot of fun, but I still prefer the original. I really dig the character animations especially. Biggest mark against it for me is the game board stuff. If you could at least have an option to present it zoomed in like the original so I feel like I’m in a location, I’d be way more fine with it.

Despite preferring the original spritework I still enjoy the remake's boardgame aesthetic, though it needs some tweaking if they stick with it. The biggest miss are the models for the humanoid units, rest looks mostly good.

I think it looks more than fine. The CO animations a wonderfully done in particular and I loved how it brings them to life. I also liked it leant into the toy soilder aesthetic. I do agree with sentiments that a general sprucing up of the unit models is necessary should we get a sequel.

Also, everyone making comments about how it looks while ignoring its phenomenally rearranged soundtrack:

They are fine. I prefer the originals, but tbh all the stuff they did (like the wooden frame around the map, and the plastic-toy-like art) I stopped noticing fairly quickly as I find AW pretty engrossing regardless. I don’t think it added anything and I prefer the GBA pixel art, but it wasn’t a dealbreaker either.

I just about prefer the originals. I think the vehicle models are excellent and the environments frequently nice. The animated COs I especially liked, but the human soldiers need some work, I think.

The thing I especially loved in terms of presentation is the work they did with the soundtrack. Like everything else, they had excellent original material to work with, but they really nailed the music.

The visuals grew on me over time but they weren’t as good as in the original I don’t think. The character models and voice acting were a bit hit and miss.

I really liked it but I’ve really not put that much time into it as I would like. I’ll have to start it again later this year

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to pick it up myself yet, but I have seen quite a few people playing it and while I definitely prefer the pixel art of the originals, I really don’t think the new visual style is all that bad, I kind of like how “toy-like” everything looks.

The GBA spritework looks better than the remake’s 3D models, but the remake’s overall look is fine. I dig the board game toy look. My only real complaint is that it can sometimes be a bit difficult to distinguish between Tanks/MD Tanks and Cruisers/Battleships with certain armies.

The 2D hand drawn animation though? Drop dead gorgeous!

The biggest upgrade overall though is the music & sound design. Absolutely sensational work done there! Likewise, the HD Rumble implementation is some of the very best seen on the console :D

The GBA spritework looks better than the remake’s 3D models, but the remake’s overall look is fine. I dig the board game toy look. My only real complaint is that it can sometimes be a bit difficult to distinguish between Tanks/MD Tanks and Cruisers/Battleships with certain armies.

The 2D hand drawn animation though? Drop dead gorgeous!

The biggest upgrade overall though is the music & sound design. Absolutely sensational work done there! Likewise, the HD Rumble implementation is some of the very best seen on the console :D
I completely agree. The 3D models just don't look very hot. It's especially true if you play it in a large tv and see just how bland and generic they are. It's a bit jarring since overall, I think the aesthetics is better. The 2D animations are phenomenal, and I really like the boards as well as the UI. But the units, specifically, look bad, which seems like a big oversight, given they're the main focus of the game.

I also like the sound and the rumble, but it feels like they missed this opportunity to provide the game with many more QoL features. For instance, a rewind feature and the ability to save mid fight as in recent FE games would really make it much more welcoming to newcomers. As it stands, it's a game that's made for veterans first and foremost, and those last 3 battles of AW2 campaign will probably frustrate most players. They are hard, and take many long hours to beat if you don't know what you're doing. And to test different strategies, you need to go through them multiple times, meaning wasting multiple hours. WF did not convince me with this remake.

think they should have leaned harder into a specific aesthetic such as toy soldiers, the levels being on a wood panels, that kind of approach.
as it stands it just seems a bit generic.

Back
Top Bottom