• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sleep apnea

D

Deleted member 2

Does anybody else suffer from this?

I think I have undiagnosed Central Sleep Apnea (CSA). It's driving me insane and I've slept two hours over the past two nights.

Does anybody have any experience with treatment or diagnosis? I may very well end up getting a BiPAP machine if that's what it'll take to get a good nights sleep again.

I dont, but my best friend had a pretty severe case - he had long periods every night with breathing stops, he got help including one of those Darth Vader machines (bipap?) which helped him and lots of doctors appointments. After some treatments and whatever they did he no longer needs the machine and he sleeps much better than he's done for years.

So while I cant suggest any treatment or diagnosis, but based on my friends experience.. just make the call for an appointment.

I have sleep apnea, and I use a CPAP machine at home, which helps for sure.

It's a bit annoying, but I got used to it. The main issue is I need to trim my facial hair more regularly (I have one that just covers the nose).

Also you need distilled water, which some countries don't have readily available if you're going to travel with it.

I did an at home sleep study during the pandemic and it was pretty simple.

If you think you have it, get a sleep study. In the interim if you can wear a heart rate monitor while you sleep, if you have a watch or fitness tracker that has that functions. Sleep apnea is usually paired with heart rate spikes.

Wearing a mask is weird for a bit, but you get used to it quickly.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm seeing my physician later today, and hopefully getting a referral for a sleep study.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm seeing my physician later today, and hopefully getting a referral for a sleep study.
It's boring, but my advice in these situations is usually "see a medical professional", so I'm glad you're taking that step 🙏

Does anybody else suffer from this?

I think I have undiagnosed Central Sleep Apnea (CSA). It's driving me insane and I've slept two hours over the past two nights.

Does anybody have any experience with treatment or diagnosis? I may very well end up getting a BiPAP machine if that's what it'll take to get a good nights sleep again.
Definitely get a BIPAP machine ASAP.

Do it. I mean it.

Also, you're going to have to learn sleep hygiene. I once couldn't sleep past 4 hours at night unless I was really tired.

By changing my sleep hygiene just a little, I can sleep at around 8 hours and sometimes more regularly.

But get the machine that helps with sleep apnea as soon as possible either way.

(y)

Definitely get a BIPAP machine ASAP.

Do it. I mean it.

Also, you're going to have to learn sleep hygiene. I once couldn't sleep past 4 hours at night unless I was really tired.

By changing my sleep hygiene just a little, I can sleep at around 8 hours and sometimes more regularly.

But get the machine that helps with sleep apnea as soon as possible either way.

(y)

Dude. Thank you for the reassurance. I've been so fucking desperate and anxious today and a BiPAP machine has been one of the primary solutions I've been grasping at.

Dude. Thank you for the reassurance. I've been so fucking desperate and anxious today and a BiPAP machine has been one of the primary solutions I've been grasping at.
Absolutely. But remember to use good sleep hygiene as well. That may be a minority of the battle, but it helped me a ton.

The majority of the battle is treatment and maybe nasal spray for your nostrils so they can breathe better.

Take it from this guy. Get to it pronto. Have you done your sleep assessment test yet?

@bellydrum
Had to get a referral from my doctor sent over this morning, so I'll be setting an appointment today ASAP. Not sure when they'll be able to get me in (or how long it'll take to get results back) but the ball's rollin.

Last night I went to my parent's house and they let me try a CPAP machine, and yeah, that thing seemed to help a lot (I didn't sleep with it since it's my stepdads) but I imagine a BiPAP is exactly what I'd need.

I stayed the night and took an anxiety pill and actually got a full night's sleep from 12:30AM to about 11AM. I feel better than I have all week, especially since now I might know it's possible it's entirely anxiety related.

Sorry for dumping my personal story here, but @merp you've been a good help with validating my thoughts about this option and figured I'd update.

Had to get a referral from my doctor sent over this morning, so I'll be setting an appointment today ASAP. Not sure when they'll be able to get me in (or how long it'll take to get results back) but the ball's rollin.

Last night I went to my parent's house and they let me try a CPAP machine, and yeah, that thing seemed to help a lot (I didn't sleep with it since it's my stepdads) but I imagine a BiPAP is exactly what I'd need.

I stayed the night and took an anxiety pill and actually got a full night's sleep from 12:30AM to about 11AM. I feel better than I have all week, especially since now I might know it's possible it's entirely anxiety related.

Sorry for dumping my personal story here, but @merp you've been a good help with validating my thoughts about this option and figured I'd update.
I was recommended a CPAP machine myself, but I just by changing my sleep hygiene, I was able to set myself right in terms of sleep.

But yeah, a CPAP can do wonders and I think a BIPAP is even better.

My boyfriend has pretty bad sleep apnea and he had to stop working because of it recently (he's also going to school so that + sleep fatigue + work was just too much). He's using a cpap now though and that's apparently helped a lot as he told me today.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with sleep apnea, that sounds really rough.
Haven't been dealing with it lately. I really think it may have been induced by stress or anxiety, it's hard to say since it happens about once a year or two, so I don't have much data.

I had it when I was morbidly obese, I typically woke up with headaches and was sleepy throughout the day. Once I reached ~95 kg, I think I recognized it was gone, and I also stopped snoring.

Sleep apnea was perhaps the second thing that pushed me the most to drop weight, only behind the anxiety of becoming diabetic.

Haven't been dealing with it lately. I really think it may have been induced by stress or anxiety, it's hard to say since it happens about once a year or two, so I don't have much data.
Good luck, keep an eye on it, sleep tracking with heart rate monitoring is a good thing generally if you have concerns.

I personally didnt appreciate how much of a fog I was in until I had it treated.

I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea about six months ago. I was told a severe case is about 30 or more incidents of your breathing stopping per hour, the result from my overnight monitoring was at around 89, which we figured to be about once every ~45 seconds. I was finding myself falling asleep any time I sat down and stopped doing anything, unable to concentrate, waking up with head-splitting migraines and having to nap in the day at any available opportunity.

I started using a CPAP back in December and it’s been absolutely life changing. I have so much more energy, I can think clearly, I’m able to exercise go places, the migraines are gone, I sleep through the night and haven’t needed to nap in four months, all of which would have been unimaginable back then. According to the machine it only has to kick in about once a night, if that.

I think it’s a little different for everyone. I have sleep apnea. I found that keeping my weight down and living a healthy lifestyle helps for me.

I have a sleep test in a few weeks, will be interesting.
I'm only slightly overweight (BMI of 24.6) but have slightly fatty liver, cholesterol is a bit high and a recent gastroscopy found inflammation on my oesophagus from reflux.
Doc thinks sleep apnea could be a part of it, I'm now going to lose weight and do more exercise, I should be a healthier weight in no time.
I don't want to need a CPAP machine but if that's what will help my long term health and life expectancy then bring on Darth Vader time.

What is "sleep hygiene"?
Basically everything you can do to help you sleep better. Stuff like avoiding cigarettes and caffeine, making sure your bedroom is dark and quiet, fixing your sleeping posture, getting in some exercise everyday, etc.

Back
Top Bottom