• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Single player action games with the best movement/traversal you've played?

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
My top 10 (does not include pure platformers)

1. Dread
2. BOTW
3. NG Black
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Dragons Dogma
6. Astral Chain
7. Doom Eternal
8. Nioh
9. Vanquish
10. Spiderman

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on critical mode is still the best ive ever played. Closest second is metroid dread.

Metal Gear Solid 5, Titanfall 2, the Dishonored series and Breath of the Wild are up there. I also enjoyed Cyber Hook a lot. Similarly, Flinthook’s and Environmental Station Alpha’s grappling mechanics are super cleverly done.

Last edited:
Spider-Man. They really nailed the webslinging and it makes you feel like a badass.

I read your title as "single action player games" like single action revolvers and was horribly confused. Speaking of single action revolvers, the read dead redemption series is really nice. Dishonored was another great one. Although that used muzzleloader pistols. I'm still in the midst of playing "eternal sonata" on xbox 360. It's single player action adventure rpg, but I don't have a critique on it yet. Okay so far.

Walking and running in Nier: Automata feels incredible, if the overworld is pretty mediocre in terms of design.

I love the traversal in the Arkham games. They've done a great job capturing what it feels like to be Batman.

Super Mario Sunshine has absolutely perfect movement. It is just so fun to move around that I could almost forget how bad some of the level designs are. Outside of the Mario series, the next best thing would probably be F-Zero X, with its sliding-to-gain-speed, boosting-for-life-energy and attack stabilisation.

Out of recent games, Metroid Dread and Astral Chain are the two that come to mind. The former has a constantly evolving sense of movement and capability, while the sense of weight and momentum in Astral Chain is spot on.

For actual movement, probably Spider-Man for PS4. The sense of momentum you get from webslinging is wonderful. I hardly ever used the fast-travel in that game cause just moving around the city was so much fun.

From a broader gameplay sense, Metal Gear Solid V feels amazing to play. You have so many different ways to approach encounters in that game and the AI does a good job of trying to react to and counter your tactics. And there is something just really satisfying and snappy about the way Snake controls in that game.

And I have to give a shout-out to BotW for feeling similarly satisfying and snappy. The climbing/gliding loop in that game just feels right.

For me it's Sekiro. Once you get the hang of the grappling hook, dashing around and sliding into cover, then vaulting behind enemies for ambushes, or just quickly moving through huge chunks of a level feels extremely satisfying.

Metroid Dread and The Messenger are probably my favorite 2D games in terms of movement/traversal. Once you get near the end of The Messenger you absolutely breeze through stages and it feels so good. Metroid Dread just has fantastic controls and further the improvements Samus Returns made in this regard.

For 3D games, I think Super Mario Sunshine and Okami are good mentions so far in the thread. I've always believed Sunshine had the best-feeling movement in the series even if the rest of the game isn't up to similar standards. Okami doesn't actually really have any particularly cool movement abilities or anything but it just feels good to run through those fields that you had spent so much time in at full speed.

This is 3D Mario the thread, as far as I'm concerned. Super Mario Odyssey in particular controls like an absolute dream. The amount of options available to you is just unbelievable with all of the enemies you can capture and the number of ways you're allowed to traverse across the areas if you want to find alternative ways was just amazing. I always had a smile on my face from just playing the game and very few games can do that

Outside of that, games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes stand out as games with overall great movement and traversal. I also liked traversing as Batman in the later Arkham games, with Arkham Knight in particular really nailing it down, allowing you to grapple up to gliding to just come crashing down to take out a henchman. It all flowed well

It's a damn shame nobody mentions Mirror's Edge. Yes, that game is flawed, but when you are in the zone and do a perfect run it feels so freaking good!

Mirror's Edge / Mirror's Edge Catalyst - they're first person games focused on free-running through buildings

Prototype - super-powered protagonist that can run pretty fast, vault over cars, run up walls, glide

Just Cause 2 - you have a hook and a parachute, you can surf cars, hijack helicopters

Doom Eternal - has double jumps and dashes, there's some light platforming elements

Metroid Dread - everything is fast and fluid and has wall jumps and sliding and more

Gravity Rush - the protagonist shifts the direction of the gravity so you can fly and run on walls and ceilings

P.s: looked like the OP wanted to exclude platformers otherwise I'd also bring up Mario Odyssey and A Hat In Time

Last edited:
Haven't played many of the ones mentioned in this thread, but I love how Odyssey feels to move around with Mario.

MGS5 and Doom Eternal. Dread would be up there but I prefer dpads for 2d games.

Monster Hunter Rise is great for this. To go from climbing and grappling with a wire bug to calling your palamute and riding into combat, leaping off and drawing your weapon into an attack. Great stuff. Same goes for BOTW with the mix of moving through cavalry for speed, climbing for height and combat.

Back
Top Bottom