• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope DX and new Shovel Knight game announced

I dunno, not sure how long Yacht Club can survive on shovelware.
ba-dum-tss-drum.gif

Oh, I am for sure getting Shovel Knight Dig during this sale, no question. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Reminded me of Steamworld Dig (2) at the time which certainly piqued my interest beyond more Shovel Knight stuff. But with the sale and free dlc expansions, it's impossible to continue putting it off.
Awesome to hear that, and thank you for the reminder to check out SDW2 again, I never properly got into that game. Looking forward to your SKD impressions when you get to play it!

Plague is the one I've played the least because I couldn't get into the controls, but I'd like to try it again. I remember it was very similar to the original game. I was happy and excited to see Specter and King were completely different with new levels and different designs and setpieces.
Plague Knight is secretly one of the best controlling player characters ever. Once it clicks, you can fly through rooms with reckless abandon, and its so, so fun.

Love the gameplay of the original 4 games to bits but I’m actually most excited to get beyond the ending of those games for the storylines. I wanna know what happens to my dear Specter Knight!

I didn't even finish King of Cards. The level design and mandatory card game put me to sleep.

Spectre of Shadows is one of those games I finished, and had some high points, but do not look back on fondly.

My favourite parts of Shovel Knight are the core campaign and the "remixed" Plague of Shadows. Everything else feels superfluous and pulled the experience down for me.

I hope the 3D iteration focuses on the movement and attacks of one character that's fully fleshed out... And hopefully doesn't take itself so damn seriously.
This is exactly my experience
Shovel and specter were great
The others, well, I’d have preferred super shovel knight …

And plague knight was … not fun

thought the dx was gonna be all the other shovel knight games bundles with the original. still cool to see the original with multiplayer. Im definitely gonna do that

My first thought was eeeehhhh, but the 20 playable characters and multiplayer makes this an enticing prospect, even for just Shovel of Hope. You can play as the Enchantress, which is dope.

I sorta get the complaints about it not having the expansions, but I imagine if this is a success for them we'll see Plague of Shadows/Specter of Torment/King of Cards DX down the line. The latter two probably need some real work putting into making them work with a wide cast of playable characters.

Does Showdown have a single player campaign? I already own the original four campaigns on 3DS, but I see Treasure Trove is on sale and I never touched that one.

My first thought was eeeehhhh, but the 20 playable characters and multiplayer makes this an enticing prospect, even for just Shovel of Hope. You can play as the Enchantress, which is dope.

I sorta get the complaints about it not having the expansions, but I imagine if this is a success for them we'll see Plague of Shadows/Specter of Torment/King of Cards DX down the line. The latter two probably need some real work putting into making them work with a wide cast of playable characters.
I kinda hope they don't do DX versions of the other 3 campaigns. SoH is really the only one I think works well in a multiplayer "insert anyone as a character" like this. The other campaigns are designed too much around those characters unique abilities or a card battle minigame.

Hmm, Shovel Knight Dig and Pocket Dungeon are on sale on Switch. Tempting...

I kinda hope they don't do DX versions of the other 3 campaigns. SoH is really the only one I think works well in a multiplayer "insert anyone as a character" like this. The other campaigns are designed too much around those characters unique abilities or a card battle minigame.
I don't think separating King of Cards from Joustus (which is largely optional anyway unless you're going for 100% completion) is impossible, though I can see the argument that doing so for the sake of multiplayer might compromise the overall experience given its significance to the plot.

Redesigning the levels, or tweaking the characters to ensure they have the tools to navigate the levels in the expansion campaigns is the real challenge, I think. If YCG decide it's not worth the time or resources, especially with Mina and Shovel Knight sequel in the works. If doing the other campaigns would delay those, I'd probably say it's not worth the trade-off. Not that I know how YCG and their projects are structured.

Hmm, Shovel Knight Dig and Pocket Dungeon are on sale on Switch. Tempting...

I don't think separating King of Cards from Joustus (which is largely optional anyway unless you're going for 100% completion) is impossible, though I can see the argument that doing so for the sake of multiplayer might compromise the overall experience given its significance to the plot.

Redesigning the levels, or tweaking the characters to ensure they have the tools to navigate the levels in the expansion campaigns is the real challenge, I think. If YCG decide it's not worth the time or resources, especially with Mina and Shovel Knight sequel in the works. If doing the other campaigns would delay those, I'd probably say it's not worth the trade-off. Not that I know how YCG and their projects are structured.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not saying you can't redesign the other campaigns to be more generic character friendly, I'm just not sure what the point would be. Part of what made the other campaigns unique was how much effort went into the character you played as and the level of effort redesigning the levels around their unique move sets. If you edit down the campaigns to fit everyone, you largely end up with SoH again outside of the story cutscenes. I also personally don't feel like paying for 4 separate DX releases (or say $5 dlc each for the other DX campaigns). If I'm over estimating how much time it would take to do then fire me into the sun I guess, I would just hope the majority of YCG is focused on Mina and SK2 after DX is done.

Why is there so much angst over Shovel of Hope DX?

Just buy Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and get basically five games for the current sale price of $19.99 (50% off). That's where you should start if you haven't played any of them.

All this discussion over whether it's worth it or what about the other games, or their theoretical DX versions from people that appear to have not even played any of the games just feels like it comes from that classic videogame forum hobbyist place of entitlement.

The way I see it, this is small update and rerelease to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the original Shovel Knight game. It brings some new features for people who have played the game extensively or who haven't played the game since then. They're not replacing the Treasure Trove or the other Shovel Knight games with this release. If you don't want buy it (and I say this as someone who probably isn't buying it), then you don't have to buy it.

It's also a way for Yacht Club to earn a bit more revenue while other titles are in development. King of Cards came out nearly 5 years ago and there hasn't been new classic platformer from the series since. It doesn't seem like Shovel Knight is that old but 10 years is a long time. That's the gap between Wind Waker on Gamecube and Wind Waker HD on Wii U. There's an entire generation of people who haven't played Shovel Knight or know what it is. Having your 10-year old game just sit on a digital store isn't going to get people interested in the series again. Rereleases work which is why so many companies do them.

I'd understand the complaints if there wasn't anything else coming from Yacht Club but they literally showed off more footage of their next title which is in active development. There's nothing to indicate that Mina is taking so long because of this DX version of Shovel Knight which is probably being handled by a separate and smaller team.

Why is there so much angst over Shovel of Hope DX?

Just buy Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and get basically five games for the current sale price of $19.99 (50% off). That's where you should start if you haven't played any of them.

All this discussion over whether it's worth it or what about the other games, or their theoretical DX versions from people that appear to have not even played any of the games just feels like it comes from that classic videogame forum hobbyist place of entitlement.
As a backer of both the og Shovel Knight and Mina, my angst is just some mild frustration at the fact SK2 and Mina still have no release date in sight. That said the DX trailer did win me over with the added back 3ds features alongside the expanded multiplayer mode. Those combined will get me to buy DX. I just don't want the next 5 years to be nothing but DX versions of the rest of the treasure trove.

I also from a business perspective understand having a DX version of their break out hit for it's 10th anniversary. These kinds of DX versions are great to get people who missed out on the original or felt overwhelmed by how much content TT had a chance to jump into the IP, especially with a sequel officially in the works. It also gives people who preferred the 3ds version or never played that port a chance to experience it's content, and gives another avenue for people to play around with all the Showdown characters.

Shovel Knight Dig is really pretty. I'd like a full Shovel Knight action platformer with this style. Stil excited for 3D Shovel Knight though.

I played the first two stages and really enjoyed it, but the moment it presented the card game I lost all interest. I haven’t touched it since, but I should rectify that.

Knowing the card game is mandatory for the true ending really sucked all my excitement for it

Wait, I thought the card game is only necessary for a special fight (that doesn't affect the ending)

I played the first two stages and really enjoyed it, but the moment it presented the card game I lost all interest. I haven’t touched it since, but I should rectify that.

Unfortunately this is me as well. I'm really weird with card games within full games. I'll give it a 2nd try someday with an open mind though as one day I want to say "I completed the four main campaigns of Shovel Knight Treasure Trove".

Knowing the card game is mandatory for the true ending really sucked all my excitement for it
I loved the card game so I dunno if it's actually mandatory but I'm pretty sure I did most of it after I beat the game. If it changes anything, it's not that important. I think people may have just took "the ending is unsatisfying because it's a reflection of King Knight's selfishness not getting him what he wants" as "I must have missed something."

Anyways, the level design is fantastic and I would absolutely recommend either ignoring the card game as much as possible (which is fairly possible iirc) or actually learning it cause it's pretty fun, but IMO the main game is better than both Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows. Very GB Wario Land-esque.

The card game is optional, guys

You only need to play it once in the tutorial, then you can just... not play it again for the entirety of the game.
I mean, I hated it in the tutorial too

I understand that you can ignore it for the most part but imo it breaks what is otherwise a really brisk introduction. It’s a pace killer.

On a totally different note, did anyone here end up playing Pocket Dungeon? If so, how did you like it? I can't tell from the footage if the levels are fast-paced or timed, or if you get to figure out progression at your own pace. Are there individual curated/designed kind of levels or procedurally generated?
I Liked the original just fine, but couldnt care less for the two spin offs that came relatively close to each other for like 30 ish and looked similar enough. It just seems weird how they managed to lose the hype for anything shovel knight related in 10 years of not giving it a proper sequel.

Back
Top Bottom