• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope DX and new Shovel Knight game announced

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him

An updated version of the original Shovel Knight game with loads of features and 20 playable characters.

No footage of the new Shovel Knight game but they said it's going into new dimensions and the Yacht Club showed a 3D animation of their logo. So heavily implying that the next Shovel Knight game will be 3D

Yeah, gotta wonder how many years it will be before we even see it.

Also "coming soon" for Mina the Hollower and Shovel Knight Dig on consoles...

I have no clue what soon means anymore lol.

Not really feeling another Definitive Edition of the OG game. I know they worked on the DLC expansions for multiple years, but it feels like we should've gotten the Shovel Knight successor game ages ago considering the game is from 2014.

"Coming soon"

"Coming soon"

Can't wait to play the new Shovel Knight game in 2029, delayed to 2030.

Yacht Club seem like great guys, but come on. 12-13 years (at best) to get a new mainline Shovel Knight game?

Between Yooka-repLaylee and now this, I don't know how to feel about the "indie devs make 2 games and then remaster their 1st game" trend. Like, is Team Cherry gonna be doing a Hollow Knight remake in 2050 (to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Silksong, obviously)?

I've played the first Shovel Knight to death since it came out, I don't really want more of it it, y'know?

Between Yooka-repLaylee and now this, I don't know how to feel about the "indie devs make 2 games and then remaster their 1st game" trend. Like, is Team Cherry gonna be doing a Hollow Knight remake in 2050 (to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Silksong, obviously)?
To be honest, we already kinda were in that stage for a while. Rogue Legacy 2 and Spelunky 2 are essentially remasters of Rogue Legacy 1 and Spelunky 1 in that they're literally just "the original game, but better".

That said, Shovel Knight is in an interesting situation since Yacht Club basically treats it like their Shantae; there's been quite a number of spinoffs like Showdown, Pocket Dungeon and Dig.

The problem is that it took the mega man formula ... But instead having 1-5 (or however many) they where released as DLC campaigns... But took development resources like new games. And had widely different characters.

And with how long they announce games beforehand... Feels like a try to keep all the Dev positions buddy since they're to big for a single game pipeline.

This feels like a rather... superfluous release. Did the original game really need savestates and rewind?

It feels like the 20 additional characters could've just been DLC, perhaps coinciding with a big update if it required major engine changes or whatever.

Genuinely one of my favourite games ever, and even I don't know if I'll get this. Need more details on how it's going to be integrated with Treasure Trove if at all. Going to be a bit weird for those who are hopping in for the first time though since it isn't included in Treasure Trove, maybe there would be a new bundle.

I'm in. They're a small team who delivered a bunch of free campaigns, so they have earned my support. Plus, new stuff looks pretty cool

A “definitive version”…that doesn’t have any of the DLC expansions? Huh?? How is that “definitive” at all? Did they even keep amiibo support, or is that gone too?

I’ve yet to play the game, but I have the complete physical version of Shovel Knight on Switch that I need to get around to starting someday. Is there even any good reason for me to play Shovel of Hope via this new release instead of the original Switch version that also has all the expansions?

A “definitive version”…that doesn’t have any of the DLC expansions? Huh?? How is that “definitive” at all? Did they even keep amiibo support, or is that gone too?

I’ve yet to play the game, but I have the complete physical version of Shovel Knight on Switch that I need to get around to starting someday. Is there even any good reason for me to play Shovel of Hope via this new release instead of the original Switch version that also has all the expansions?
This has new content including 18 more playable characters. That’s a big one for me.

Quoted by: Tye

Technically it's only the definitive version of shovel of hope, the dlc are different games (again, "technically")

Still not going to say no to more shovel knight, some of the additional characters seems fun to play

It's a "definitive version" of Shovel of Hope, which is what they retroactively started calling the base campaign once they started selling the expansions as standalone games

But it’s not really the full experience without the expansions, right?

I think you're downplaying the amount of effort that went into the other Shovel Knight games. The characters play differently and for two of them, the levels are basically completely redesigned and overhauled. Would a Mega Man DX not be considered a definitive version if it didn't include Mega Man II, III, and IV?

I’m aware that Shovel of Hope is only the original game…but I believe the physical releases of Shovel Knight have always been the full game including all expansions, so, like, it’s not like Yacht Club Games really treated them as separate games in that sense. I’m just more baffled by the fact that this new release doesn’t include the expansions, ’cause it’s not like they remade the game or anything like that, so surely it wouldn’t be too much effort to throw those in with rewind, new characters, and all that too, right?

I’m aware that Shovel of Hope is only the original game…but I believe the physical releases of Shovel Knight have always been the full game including all expansions, so, like, it’s not like Yacht Club Games really treated them as separate games in that sense. I’m just more baffled by the fact that this new release doesn’t include the expansions, ’cause it’s not like they remade the game or anything like that, so surely it wouldn’t be too much effort to throw those in with rewind, new characters, and all that too, right?

Yacht Club does consider them separate games. That's why the Shovel of Hope subtitle was added onto the first game. To differentiate it from the others. You can buy each game individually on digital stores.

My guess it's they are also updating the engine to support some of the features.

Also Treasure trove came after they released the original shovel knight

BoY6gD9.png

I love Shovel Knight and have done all achievements on Shovel of Hope, and I guess it's cool that now you have a version with all the stuff. Still, I don't know if I care? I'd rather buy every other campaign separately to support them than the original with some additions again.

Also, I wonder if it'll have Kratos boss fight, or if it's a Definitive version* with some exceptions.

Having a ton of playable characters is cool but you can only play through one games so many times before you get sick.

I don't know why they didn't just add in the other campaigns if they wanted to market this as a "definitive edition". It certainly isn't any sort of definitive edition because I'd still recommend anyone to get Treasure Trove over this.

The new content for Shovel of Hope DX isn't really much to write home about either... It pretty much consists of content that they would've been playing around with in the game during testing and not much else tbh.

I'm a fan of Yacht club but this is a pretty obvious lazy/misleading cash grab of a release.

Yacht Club does consider them separate games. That's why the Shovel of Hope subtitle was added onto the first game. To differentiate it from the others. You can buy each game individually on digital stores.
My guess it's they are also updating the engine to support some of the features.

Also Treasure trove came after they released the original shovel knight

BoY6gD9.png
Those Wii U and 3DS versions (not sure about the PS4 and Xbox One versions but I imagine they’re the same) actually did include all the expansions, though—they were free updates. I believe it wasn’t until the Switch version that they started selling Shovel of Hope and the expansions separately, but even then they still bundled all of the content together in the physical version.

I'm confused why this exists. Especially with how much they've updated the original game over the years. Why does this stuff that was mostly already in the game in some form warrant a rerelease? And you'd think they'd just plain want to be done with it at this point, they were working on it for like a decade straight.

Oh my god, the complaining.

It looks cool, if you're a fan of the first game and want a feature rich version of the first game then get this.

If you've never even played the first game, then what are you doing? Go play it now! If you only own it in one system, then buy it on a second!

Wait are you fucking serious it doesn't even have the expansions?

They'll release Plague of Shadows DX in 2028, hopefully by then they'll have a release date for Mina the Hollower, and a title reveal for their first ever Shovel Knight sequel, coming 2039.

It's ok though because they would have made twelve spin offs and re-releases in the mean time.

Also confused as a new player, I have to buy both this and Treasure Trove to now get the "full experience"? Strange.
Maybe someone can correct me later, but since the other expansions are different games, you'd have to buy this, the King of Cards and Plague Knight's as standalone for it and not the Treasure Trove because that would have Shovel of Hope as well

Also confused as a new player, I have to buy both this and Treasure Trove to now get the "full experience"? Strange.
If you haven't, buy Treasure Trove (apparently 50% off right now in the eshop) because it's awesome. If you liked the first game within Treasure Trove, Shovel of Hope, then get this which is basically that game with a bunch of bonus features as options to lay on top of the existing game. I feel like you won't be missing much if you skip this game compared to skipping Treasure Trove for some reason.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can correct me later, but since the other expansions are different games, you'd have to buy this, the King of Cards and Plague Knight's as standalone for it and not the Treasure Trove because that would have Shovel of Hope as well
Plus Specter of Torment. Bottom line depending on the price it's hard to see the DX version being the better experience to me. Especially since I think Specter and King are better than the original game, and two of the best platformers of the last decade.

Ooh, Shovel Knight 64. Now THAT'S a dream game right there.

Hmm. They said in the direct that they've dropped a lot of teases for the plot of this new 3D game in the other games in the series. I wonder if anyone has found and gathered up these plot seeds.

This feels like a rather... superfluous release. Did the original game really need savestates and rewind?

It feels like the 20 additional characters could've just been DLC, perhaps coinciding with a big update if it required major engine changes or whatever.
Hard to release an update for a game when nearly half of the platforms it released for don't have stores anymore. (PS3, Vita, 3DS and WiiU)

If anyone is on the fence of about Shovel Knight Dig, I know I risk veering into hyperbole here after praising Specter of Torment and King of Cards upthread, but I think SKD is also one of the best platformers in recent memory. I never would have considered trying a roguelike platformer if I hadn't tried and loved my first roguelike game with Dicey Dungeons a couple years back.

I was always wary of and kind of opposed to procedurally generated platforming but the game has so many different types of rooms and setpieces that we ended up playing for dozens of hours. I still want to go back and play the first DLC and this second DLC looks potentially even more substantial. The game is very generous with upgrades and accessing later areas if the roguelike piece doesn't click for a player. But yeah. This game has a gorgeous presentation, stellar, creative and surprising level design and super smooth gameplay. It's challenging but not impossible, much like my other favorite indie platformers like Celeste and Splasher.

This is a really special game. I would have happily paid full price for the time, enjoyment and personal enrichment I found digging further and further. At $12.50 it's a steal.

On a totally different note, did anyone here end up playing Pocket Dungeon? If so, how did you like it? I can't tell from the footage if the levels are fast-paced or timed, or if you get to figure out progression at your own pace. Are there individual curated/designed kind of levels or procedurally generated?

Gee Bill, two defintive re-releases?

Technically it's only the definitive version of shovel of hope, the dlc are different games (again, "technically")

Still not going to say no to more shovel knight, some of the additional characters seems fun to play
Plague of Shadows is my favourite part of Shovel Knight and not by a small margin but calling it a "different game" is such a stretch I just pulled my back out.

What the HELL is even the difference between playing Shovel of Hope as Plague Knight Vs Plague of Shadows?

Removing all the cute stuff?

Plague of Shadows is my favourite part of Shovel Knight and not by a small margin but calling it a "different game" is such a stretch I just pulled my back out.

What the HELL is even the difference between playing Shovel of Hope as Plague Knight Vs Plague of Shadows?

Plague is the one I've played the least because I couldn't get into the controls, but I'd like to try it again. I remember it was very similar to the original game. I was happy and excited to see Specter and King were completely different with new levels and different designs and setpieces.

Story and level design changes. Plague Knight gets a couple different routes and slight changes to level design, which the best comparison I can think of would be Knuckles in Sonic 3 or Sonic Mania. Now imagine you're playing Sonic's story with Knuckles. I guess.

Plague is the one I've played the least because I couldn't get into the controls, but I'd like to try it again. I remember it was very similar to the original game. I was happy and excited to see Specter and King were completely different with new levels and different designs and setpieces.
I didn't even finish King of Cards. The level design and mandatory card game put me to sleep.

Spectre of Shadows is one of those games I finished, and had some high points, but do not look back on fondly.

My favourite parts of Shovel Knight are the core campaign and the "remixed" Plague of Shadows. Everything else feels superfluous and pulled the experience down for me.

I hope the 3D iteration focuses on the movement and attacks of one character that's fully fleshed out... And hopefully doesn't take itself so damn seriously.

Story and level design changes. Plague Knight gets a couple different routes and slight changes to level design, which the best comparison I can think of would be Knuckles in Sonic 3 or Sonic Mania. Now imagine you're playing Sonic's story with Knuckles. I guess.
The cute stuff, yeah!

But seriously Shovel Knight levels with the different movesets without adjustments doesn't sound fun.

The cute stuff, yeah!

But seriously Shovel Knight levels with the different movesets without adjustments doesn't sound fun.
Plague Knight kinda needs it cause he is undoubtedly the weird one in terms of movement, but I dunno, I'm excited to see how the rest of the cast plays outside of Showdown. How subweapons will work is especially interesting to me, personally.

I didn't even finish King of Cards. The level design and mandatory card game put me to sleep.

Spectre of Shadows is one of those games I finished, and had some high points, but do not look back on fondly.

My favourite parts of Shovel Knight are the core campaign and the "remixed" Plague of Shadows. Everything else feels superfluous and pulled the experience down for me.

I hope the 3D iteration focuses on the movement and attacks of one character that's fully fleshed out... And hopefully doesn't take itself so damn seriously.
Plague Knight is awesome once the controls of playing as Plague Knight clicks. Probably my favorite as well.

Plague Knight is awesome once the controls of playing as Plague Knight clicks. Probably my favorite as well.
Definitely want to give it another go sometime. Specter Knight felt like it had a bit of a learning curve with three controls too.

If anyone is on the fence of about Shovel Knight Dig, I know I risk veering into hyperbole here after praising Specter of Torment and King of Cards upthread, but I think SKD is also one of the best platformers in recent memory. I never would have considered trying a roguelike platformer if I hadn't tried and loved my first roguelike game with Dicey Dungeons a couple years back.

I was always wary of and kind of opposed to procedurally generated platforming but the game has so many different types of rooms and setpieces that we ended up playing for dozens of hours. I still want to go back and play the first DLC and this second DLC looks potentially even more substantial. The game is very generous with upgrades and accessing later areas if the roguelike piece doesn't click for a player. But yeah. This game has a gorgeous presentation, stellar, creative and surprising level design and super smooth gameplay. It's challenging but not impossible, much like my other favorite indie platformers like Celeste and Splasher.

This is a really special game. I would have happily paid full price for the time, enjoyment and personal enrichment I found digging further and further. At $12.50 it's a steal.

Oh, I am for sure getting Shovel Knight Dig during this sale, no question. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Reminded me of Steamworld Dig (2) at the time which certainly piqued my interest beyond more Shovel Knight stuff. But with the sale and free dlc expansions, it's impossible to continue putting it off.

Back
Top Bottom