• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Should Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy the Vampire Slayer join the MCU?

Buried In Time

Wave Racer & Windjammer
Pronouns
he/him
There's an appetite for a continuation of the Buffyverse in some form, but it's a difficult needle to thread. Years ago there were plans to make a Buffy movie reboot that would have featured a recast Buffy and none of the original characters from the TV show. Fan backlash quickly put an end to that. A few years later, there was talk of a TV series reboot that wasn't too well received. Since then the creator of the character has fallen from grace, which pretty much slayed the chances of a live action direct continuation. Or has it?

Disney acquired 21st Century Fox, which included the rights to the Buffy The Vampire film and TV series. Now that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has opened up the multiverse can of worms and started bringing in heroes from other dimensions, it could be the pretext to bring in a certain slayer (and maybe a few of her friends). Imagine seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers walk through one of those portals.

Gellar has said that she's still proud of the role and has started sharing the series with her daughter. The chance to reprise the character without the behind the scenes baggage of the past and with a healthy Marvel paycheck would be hard to pass up. Marvel Studios made Werewolf By Night and Moon Knight for Disney+ and they've been working on a Blade film with Mahershala Ali. Buffy could fit in well with the more supernatural monster centric corner of the MCU.

On the other hand, sometimes it's okay to let things end.

What say you?

Last edited:
Scooby-Doo is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery and James Gunn just so happens to be the co-president of DC Studios, a subsidiary of the aforementioned. Plus, Scooby has crossed over with DC in the past. Just as long as Sarah Michelle Gellar is part of one Scooby Gang or another.

Last edited:
Yes, have her cameo for a minute in one of the worlds Deadpool accidentally falls into in his movie while the Foxverse is falling apart.

Other than that... nah...

As someone who is watching the show for the first time and enjoying it - God no. Not every IP needs to exist in the public conscience forever. Things can end!

I don't necessarily disagree. I was generally satisfied with the way Buffy and Angel concluded. Still, all these years later, I have hunger pangs for more stories, if not centered on the OG characters, at least set in the same fictional universe. There's plenty of instances of IP being brought back only to disappoint, but I can't help but see the success of Cobra Kai and Creed and wish something like that could be pulled off for the Buffyverse. The notion of transplanting Buffy to the MCU is me grasping at straws, but they are technically part of the same Disney IP soup now.

Last edited:
I don’t know who that is, but let’s do it
She's Buffy, slayer of the vampyrs. She has the strength and skills to fight the forces of darkness. She wouldn't be out of place on the Avengers or taking out vamps with Blade.

SHE SAVED THE WORLD
A LOT

Last edited:
I don't really understand what leads to the desire for this sort of Fortnite-ization of media. Reducing stories down to corporate IP that can be fitted together like Lego pieces often just strips away what made the original story special to begin with. It wasn't cool when the Iron Giant showed up in Ready Player One and it wouldn't be cool if Buffy showed up in the MCU.

With Fox now under Disney, you know who should really join the MCU is Al Bundy.

Did you know in high school the man scored four touchdowns in a single game? The Avengers could really use a guy like him.

intergalactic-al-bundy-intergalactic-quality.gif

Not sure about Buffy joining the MCU, but I think it would make a lot of sense for the cast of Ally McBeal to gradually join it while other characters are retired, until eventually the MCU has been completely replaced by the AMCU.

At first the law firm would work on cases related to superheroes and supervillains, sort of like on She Hulk but better because it would have Lucy Liu and Jane Krakowski. Eventually, they'd move to just doing less fantastical but still zany cases. Then there'd be an event that killed all super-powered characters, including some sort of mass amnesia so everyone forgot them entirely. Or maybe they'd be erased from the timeline. Either way, by phase 6 the (A)MCU will be virtually indistinguishable from David E. Kelley's classic show.

In phase 7 they would of course start expanding the universe to include the casts of Chicago Hope and Picket Fences.

I'll allow it so long as they work in a love story between Ally McBeal (Calista Flockhart) and Thunderbolt Ross/Red Hulk (Harrison Ford). When a Godzilla-sized dancing baby (Galactus Junior) rampages through mid-town Manhattan, they must set aside their differences to calm the child and get him to take a nap. Naturally one thing leads to another.

Last edited:
Utter nonsense thread (in a really good way, I mean the idea of Al Bundy in the MCU was posted)

Personally, i don't think that any more creations from that creep should receive new found fame 🤷‍♂️

if you’re going to blend every property into a giant dull homogenized smoothie, at least go nuts with it:

”Young Mr, Lincoln?” Fox, Abe Lincoln should team up with Blade and punch vampires in the face like some kind of horrible early aughts Gen X meme

”The Peanuts Movie?” Fox, get rid of Kang and make Lucy the next MCU big bad as she pulls the football away from all of the Avengers, Homer Simpson, and the parrot from “Rio”

the possibilities are endless

Back
Top Bottom