• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion Should Mario Movie 2 Be A Musical?

musical?

• Total voters

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
after the movie came out peaches became a viral sensation for a little bit, should they try their luck going full musical for the sequel?

Nah, none of the main Mario characters besides Pauline are known for their singing. Bowser got away with it in the Mario Movie because it was funny and he was voiced by Jack Black. Plus, I really don't want to be subjected to Chris Pratt singing every 5 minutes and don't think anyone else wants to either.

Last edited:
i’d rather you kill me

Super Mario La-La-La-Land

PEACH: Bowser's escaped!
LUIGI: And he's taken Broadway!
MARIO: I can't let Bowser take Broadway by storm.
TOAD: What are you going to do Mario?
MARIO: The one thing I've yet to do in any iteration of my existence. Singing and songwriting. Luigi give me a C major chord.
LUIGI: Give you a what?
MARIO: Fine, hit me with an A minor.
LUIGI: I don't know wh-
MARIO: Just hit me with a C major!
BOWSER: Well, well, well look what we have here. It seems Mario brothers have fallen a little out of sync. Don't worry Mario I'll hit you with a - C major, was it?
Bowser does a smooth lick on his standup bass.
TOAD: gasps It's so disarming.
BOWSER: Now then if you'll excuse me. Peaches.

I don't know why, this goes nowhere.

Last edited:
It's not worth making the movie if they don't cast Mandy Patinkin as Cappy and let him sing Finishing The Hat.

The first one wasn’t a musical so the sequel shouldn’t either. “Peaches” fit well into the scene instead of characters breaking into song and dance in the middle of a forest or something. If they keep it in line with the original, it’s fine. They shouldn’t go out of their way. If there’s no natural place for a song, don’t shoehorn one in.

Anything would be better than that first movie

I don't have a problem with musicals, but drastically changing the format of a sequel to chase the popularity of a two minute segment seems like a bad idea for things in general.

No, but wouldn‘t it be awesome if there was an actual On Stage Mario Musical? I imagine this would work really well with Mario. They just would need to find a way to have a costume were Mario is still able to jump around or how you want to visualise the Power Up Effects. But exactly that would make it special.

Honestly I settle for them just not using licensed music. Was really out of place and took me right out of the movie.

Is this some kind of reference to Joker? Joker 2 is a musical while the first isn't.

Please no...
Jack Black is great at pulling off those musical satirical songs, but I don't think it would go over well with full on singing.

No OP. The movie got it more or less right. It should be an action-adventure flick with an emphasis on the wonder of Mario's world.

If anything, I'll use this to actually tell you what the next movie needs:

-A longer runtime (especially if they introduce new characters, which they will).
-More emphasis on character, and an actual main character arc that isn't flat (that is coherent and with enough emotional beats to feel earned, it's a big part of why the first one felt shallow)
-If you're not going to make it longer, then make it a single continuous story overall and focus more on the ensemble (no need to actually split up characters if they're going to get a cheap payoff). Migration, the newest Illumination movie, fares better than their usual output because of this.

Back
Top Bottom