• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Shoji Meguro (Known for his work on Persona music) Has Left Atlus to Go Independent

AquaWateria

Set Your Heart Ablaze
Community Liaison

Interesting to see Meguro leave Atlus to go independent.

This is huge.

His first non-Atlus project:

Also, it seems he’ll still be working on Atlus projects as a freelance musician, so that’s good.

I really hope Atlus do whatever they have to to ensure he’s contributing music to Persona. The series is so severely diminished without him they might as well not bother.

Oh my god... That's a huuuuge loss. Nooooo :(

I'm happy that he's doing what he wants at the end of the day anyway!

Unless he still helps Atlus as an independant, that's the end of an era.

The series is so severely diminished without him they might as well not bother.

People said the same thing about SMT4 when it was announced Meguro wasn't working on it and then it had an amazing OST anyway. I love Meguro, he literally composed my favorite game OST of all time (Digital Devil Saga), but it's silly to say that Persona couldn't exist without him. A lot of talented composers work for Atlus.

People said the same thing about SMT4 when it was announced Meguro wasn't working on it and then it had an amazing OST anyway. I love Meguro, he literally composed my favorite game OST of all time (Digital Devil Saga), but it's dumb to pretend that Persona couldn't exist without him. A lot of talented composers work for Atlus.
I think Persona is far more linked to the individual styles and aesthetics of Meguro (and Soejima, and Hashino) than SMT was tbh (except Kaneko with SMT and people are STILL complaining about his absence to this day).

His music is a huge part of the series' identity. They better make sure they contract him
But on the other hand we'll get to hear his stuff more often than every five+ years now

I wonder if Meguro will still collaborate with Atlus in the future. Despite bangers after bangers Kozuka have accomplished for SMT IV (and V so far) which I really love, I still kinda miss the experimental composition style from Masuko. His most recent work is Monark.

If he's still working with Atlus it's fine. Hope they keep hiring him for Persona and he's already attached to Protect ReFantasy. I think he's done more than he wanted with Atlus and they've been giving more opportunities to other staff lately. So this move makes a lot of sense.

The music in Persona is literally 80% of why I enjoy playing those games. This is a huge blow to my excitement of a potential P6…

I'm okay with this, I like his work but SMT is doing great on the music department without him. And Persona could use some variety too, I haven't played 5 yet but I think Persona music at this point is always very samey.

Hopefully he will pursue his own projects and still colab with Atlus from time to time.

Huge loss for Atlus but it seems that every big composer goes independent these days, as the pay is probably better. Thankfully he'll continue to work with them as a contractor.

As long as he continues to work for Atlus that's not too bad.
Him not working on Atlus games would be a huge loss though.

Ooh! I'm sure he'll be back for new Persona games but I'm just getting excited for the future of Persona. New director, new team and a new sound now. It could be great.

Atlus has been releasing games at a relatively sloooww pace the past five years. He probably figured he’d be better off working for himself and making more money doing more games. If that was his thought process, I can’t blame him.

He can still do work for Atlus, just like Uematsu did for Square Enix after he went indie.
No biggie

Atlus has been releasing games at a relatively sloooww pace the past five years. He probably figured he’d be better off working for himself and making more money doing more games. If that was his thought process, I can’t blame him.

That's what I figure also. During the PS2 era he was composing everything they released including Digital Devil Saga 1, Digital Devil Saga 2, SMT3: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 3: FES, Persona 4, Devil Summoner: Raidou 1 and Devil Summoner: Raidou 2.

Contrast that with nowadays where Kozuka is handling Shin Megami Tensei series instead and Atsushi Kitajoh seems to handling Persona games (Persona Q2 being the most recent example and probably post Persona 5 the other members of the ATLUS Sound Team will be composing for those games) and well that leaves Meguro with doing the music for Project Re Fantasy and that's it and that game has been "in development" now for 5 years almost, right? He did the concept music for it and then he's probably been spending a lot of time musing what he enjoys doing and figured it's time for him to move on.

The man is a legend and I'm sure whatever he does next it will be great.

Back
Top Bottom