• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Shmups |STG| Dots and Loops

slide's

Lucky bumper
Pronouns
he/him
shmups - a Famiboards StarTopic
from Asteroids to Luftrausers, from Gradius to Harmful Park, from Fantasy Zone to Black Bird, from Dodonpachi to Unfinished Dream of All Living Ghost, from ZeroRanger to who knows what... "shmups" are games we all can love.
shmups (also known in some circles as shoot-em-ups, shooting games, STG, or, I think, "Space Invaders clones") are games where you move a thing around and shoot other things. many of them take place on a 2D plane with fixed, automatic scrolling! many of them are beautiful to look at and listen to! many of them are very difficult! maybe Star Fox is one?

there are loads of styles and subgenres to explore in this very broad genre of video games. likewise, there are dozens of different ways to engage with shmups, and that is maybe the most exciting thing about them! do you want to learn a complex scoring system and play for a high score? or practice enough to survive on a single credit all the way to the end? or maybe just credit-feed your way through to see all the stages and bosses, soaking up the sights and sounds and kinesthetic delight?
I really want to emphasize: the appeal of these games is wide-ranging! the best shmups are like a great music album—you can casually enjoy the whole thing in a brisk 30-60 minutes, and return over and over again to find layers of depth and intrigue and enjoyment, or just dig deep into the one part you liked the best.

and there sure are a lot of these games on Nintendo's Nintendo Switch console! while the pros may prefer the reduced input lag of certain other home platforms, I think the Switch is a perfectly pleasant place to play plenty of shmups. hopefully this thread can be a little hub for discussion of shmups available on Switch and elsewhere.

slide's's switch picks
here are a few shmups on switch that I particularly love. there are a LOT more than these, and a million I haven't tried (Cosmo Dreamer? Hazelnut Hex?? Mecha Ritz??? Missile Dancer???? Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special?????) so please know I'm not covering much ground here. the game links below all go to Deku Deals rather than linking to multiple jurisdictions' eShops.

Crimzon Clover World EXplosion
this is my favorite one. among the best audiovisual experiences in the medium. like getting to see the jackpot animation on a slot machine every thirty seconds.
if you are interested in getting into "bullet hell" style shmups, I say with confidence that Crimzon Clover's "novice mode" is the place to start. despite the name, it's still plenty challenging, but unlike novice modes I've seen in some other shmups, it can feasibly be cleared in a single credit with a not-ridiculous amount of practice. the default difficulty mode on the other hand...
e4d9cb1ffde0509138d373f2a9488ca8fe9e7da82920ce359a2da4e4de80966e

Black Bird
it's Onion Games (known also for Million Onion Hotel, moon, Dandy Dungeon—essentially what remains of Love-de-lic at this point) putting their spin on Fantasy Zone. it's strange and melancholy and quite fun, with a satisfying upgrade system. there's no "continue" option here, so you're either clearing in one go or not at all, but the default mode is pretty welcoming, and a harder difficulty unlocks only after the first clear.

Mushihimesama
Cave is the biggest name in "bullet hell" shmups and Mushihimesama is my favorite from them, partially by default because it's the only one I've spent more than an hour or two with, and largely because of its lush pre-rendered visuals. so much cyan! Live Wire's port on Switch is excellent, with lots of modes and customization options.

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
it's got Darius Gaiden in it. I don't think video games, or their soundtracks, go much harder than Darius Gaiden

Rolling Gunner
this one is built around the mechanic described in its title—you've got a forward shooting gun, and a "rolling gun" which moves in response to your direction of motion. you can lock it in place by holding a button, and the amount of intricacy and complexity the game gets out of this basic mechanic is magic. great music, very, very difficult and lots of fun. there's also a secondary mode available as DLC that I haven't played but I've heard is even more fun!

Radiant Silvergun
a great mix of 2D and 3D visuals, a complicated control scheme consisting of three main weapon types plus three more combinations of any two of those weapon types plus a leveling system, and a dozen other peculiarities make this a really special game to me. like other home releases of Radiant Silvergun, the Switch version features "story mode" (fka "Saturn mode") which lets you save your weapon levels between runs, making the game eventually beatable without rote-memorizing every stage, and features cutscenes and in-game dialogue to flesh out the weird little story.
f91ca9601bdc4fb5aa746fbcdfaa5998b39f6d7c297c12f60e9de19b7f197724

I had also planned to include a list of resource links as well, and I can add one if there's interest, but I don't think this opening post needs to be especially comprehensive. I will just shout out Hardcore Gaming 101 (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/), which is probably the single best English-language resource for learning about the mechanics of arcade shmups. ok that's it!

I've been playing Crimzon Clover a lot again lately, which is why I wanted to make this thread even if it doesn't generate much discussion lol. I had cleared the novice mode with the unlockable Type-Z ship (the easiest one) a couple years ago and now I've been trying to clear it with the other three! I can make it to the true last boss pretty consistently with the default ship now, but I always burn so many lives on the last stage that I never have a shot by the time I get there—but it's within reach!!

also: M2's Shot Triggers release of Dodonpachi DaiOuJou (under the name Dodonpachi Blissful Death Re:Incarnation) just came out a couple weeks ago on Switch and PS4! it is unfortunately Japan-only but I will probably buy some JP eShop credit to try it out soon—looking forward to finally checking that one out. is anyone here playing it?

Fantastic ST! Love the headers. I feel seen because I love Ikaruga but don’t know much at all about the genre. Will look these over!

Obligatory Ikaruga image

AppkLxO.jpg

And yeah, the switch has been great for shmups, incluiding a lot of classics like Gradius, Gunbird, 1945 and some indies too, but overall been able to play in tate mode easily is the best part of this gen

@slide's I played 20 minutes of DOJ on Switch Lite. Not tried it docked yet. It seems perfect outside some freezing in the menu when you select game version. The new update added a hitbox visibility thing also for another mode. I'm not sure if I'm missing it, but I thought this would include the Xbox 360 soundtrack option as well. I can't find it.

I downloaded Black Bird before I set out last night, forgot to boot it to validate and couldn't get onto the hotel wifi lol. Looking forward to trying it today!

Great ST! Shmups are always a nice go-to when I just want some arcade gaming fun. Last one I played was Espagaluda II, and now the OP has me itching to take Mushihime-sama out for a spin again.

I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never touched Crimzon Clover, but I will be sure to rectify that in the near future.

Just picked up Radiant Silvergun and Jamestown+, then finally fired up Black Bird. Can’t wait to shmup it up this morning ☕

Does this new DOJ port have english menus? I imported ESP Ra.De Psi a while ago, and while the core game is fun it’s hard to engage with the actual ShotTriggers features.

Wound up finishing that first run of Black Bird on two continues! What a cool, imaginative game — not that I’m surprised from Kimura & crew. Excited to dig in more!

Jamestown+ up next.

Does this new DOJ port have english menus? I imported ESP Ra.De Psi a while ago, and while the core game is fun it’s hard to engage with the actual ShotTriggers features.

Some menus are, but most are in Japanese. I use Google TL on the phone + whatever I can read.

Wound up finishing that first run of Black Bird on two continues! What a cool, imaginative game — not that I’m surprised from Kimura & crew. Excited to dig in more!

Jamestown+ up next.

Get this on your phone / iPad (not a shmup but essential for Onion Games fans):

Any recommendation from steam and switch sales? Own loads but want more.
haven’t actually played either of these myself (no Windows PC…) but I’ve always been interested in ZeroRanger and Hellsinker. the former is a subversive, narrative-heavy bullet hell game, and the latter is I think known for being one of the most mechanically obtuse arcade shmups around lol—both seem great!

haven’t actually played either of these myself (no Windows PC…) but I’ve always been interested in ZeroRanger and Hellsinker. the former is a subversive, narrative-heavy bullet hell game, and the latter is I think known for being one of the most mechanically obtuse arcade shmups around lol—both seem great!

Thanks! I own both but Hellsinker reminded me of this bundle 👀 https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5655/Henteko_Shmups_Bundle/

Also if you ever get Zero Ranger, try Void Stranger from the dev.

Words can’t describe how impressed with myself I’d be if I managed to recommend something to @Yamanoi that they hadn’t already played.

I’ve been playing Million Onion Hotel for an hour and also got Danmaku Unlimited 3 for iPhone. Between those two, Subpar Pool and becoming a Famiboards dot com moderator, this is me:

Words can’t describe how impressed with myself I’d be if I managed to recommend something to @Yamanoi that they hadn’t already played.

I’ve been playing Million Onion Hotel for an hour and also got Danmaku Unlimited 3 for iPhone. Between those two, Subpar Pool and becoming a Famiboards dot com moderator, this is me:

I don't remember if DU2 is playable on new iOS, but listen to this at least -

Looking for Arcade Archives recommendations for shmups (and fighters barring the obvious KOF/Samsho/FF) if anyone has played some they like.

Also Graze Counter GM is discounted on Switch and has a demo. Worth trying IMO.

after a fair bit of tinkering I finally got ZeroRanger running via Wine on my Mac and as expected...it's the sickest game ever. it's already a somewhat popular game but I really feel like it would (and maybe still could?) have done huge numbers had it ever released on Switch—it's simultaneously very accessible, very difficult, a loving homage to the genre, and a subversion of it. just like... Undertale?
it does a lot of work to ease the player into repeating attempts, replaying levels, unlocking continues, learning routes and scoring techniques, all without compromising its difficulty or mystery. and it's so stylish and cool! the intro cutscene goes about as hard as the one in Dimahoo. it's more or less what I'd hoped Devil Engine would be, with some other cool stuff on top. i'm lovin it a lot and can't wait to keep digging deeper.

this also means I'll be able to play Void Stranger soon, but I'll save that for the puzzle game thread...

Glad to see this thread got made! That album comparison is really good, by the way. Just like with albums, I prefer shorter ones!

I'm not deep into the genre for a few reasons. While I am the type of person to replay games a lot, I'm not built for the rote repetition of pursuits like score chasing or speedrunning, and I'm also very big on character. So my interest in shmups is a bit mixed as a result. I did enjoy Crimzon Clover though. Also Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo. If I had a nickel for every bullet hell game where you fight a little girl who's into Agatha Christie books...

Back
Top Bottom