• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance announced for PC and consoles, coming June 14th (out now!)

Did the developers interview specify if the entire SMT team worked on this? If so, then we may very well be four to five years away from SMTVI

Also **** Atlus for leaving Switch out for SH2 and P3R but then giving everyone else this.
I wonder if they’re sitting on those (well, probably just P3R and Metaphor) for Switch 2. Would be super weird to only have SMT V Vanilla on Switch so we’re getting this, and the smaller spin off stuffs until the next system. At least, that’s my copium.

Man, watching the Direct made me think the leak was wrong and this was a full-on Apocalypse-style sequel/side story. But now it's clear they cherry picked the new stuff for that trailer and the leak was right. But now it seems like the new stuff is in a completely separate path? But probably the first half is the same? Still feel like I got burned as an early adopter. I'll wait till it's $30 on Black Friday.

Also **** Atlus for leaving Switch out for SH2 and P3R but then giving everyone else this.
P3R (and Metaphor) have been leaked for Switch 2, that's why they aren't coming to Switch

Soul Hackers 2 was a critical and commercial failure, so you'll never see that ported

I wonder if they’re sitting on those (well, probably just P3R and Metaphor) for Switch 2. Would be super weird to only have SMT V Vanilla on Switch so we’re getting this, and the smaller spin off stuffs until the next system. At least, that’s my copium.
Considering SH2 came out only 9 months after SMT V, if there is any justice in this world, next year it should have a turn to get some kinda enhanced version that will fix all its problems (like people are saying this will do for SMT V) and then be sold for $60 on all platforms including Switch or Switch 2.

But I doubt it. Now that Atlus is on the "big boy" platforms like PS5, XSX, and PC, they view Nintendo as an afterthought. I miss the 3DS days.

the simple answer is the directors/producers just don't think about switch. SMTV has strong ties to Nintendo and Nintendo's push, but the rest don't care

P3R (and Metaphor) have been leaked for Switch 2, that's why they aren't coming to Switch

Soul Hackers 2 was a critical and commercial failure, so you'll never see that ported
I get Metaphor waiting for Switch 2 since that won't even come out till Fall 2024. But P3R came out a few weeks ago and doesn't look anymore technically demanding than P5R.

Soul Hackers 2 has a 74 on Metacritic, which is only 10 points lower than SMT V's 84. That's hardly a "failure." But even so, if anything, the slightly lower score shows that SH2 needs the "remaster to fix problems in the original" treatment way more than SMT V.

I get Metaphor waiting for Switch 2 since that won't even come out till Fall 2024. But P3R came out a few weeks ago and doesn't look anymore technically demanding than P5R.

Soul Hackers 2 has a 74 on Metacritic, which is only 10 points lower than SMT V's 84. That's hardly a "failure." But even so, if anything, the slightly lower score shows that SH2 needs the "remaster to fix problems in the original" treatment way more than SMT V.
P3R is a lot more advanced than P5R, video compression just butchers it in trailers.

A 74 on MC is pretty mediocre, hence the yellow score. It's sales were also awful, and a rerelease would lose quite a bit of money for that reason. There's also the fact it struggles to run on the Xbox One.

P3R is a lot more advanced than P5R, video compression just butchers it in trailers.

A 74 on MC is pretty mediocre, hence the yellow score. It's sales were also awful, and a rerelease would lose quite a bit of money for that reason. There's also the fact it struggles to run on the Xbox One.
100%. YouTube videos don't do the game justice. but...

It's still Persona. It's still smaller areas with a bunch of loading in between. I run P3R at a locked 1080p60 with raytracing and 125% resolution scale on my laptop with a mobile RTX 2060. With some work, I really don't think it's a stretch to get the game running at 900p30 or something. That being said, I'd be more than happy for them to just wait to port it to Switch 2 so we get all the bells and whistles.

Not really? As @lattjeful said, it's still a bunch of small areas segmented by loading zones. That fact alone makes it pretty doable on Switch. And you can always do 720p @ 30 FPS and simplify shading. SMT V is way more technically demanding than P3R with its huge open areas and they got that running well enough on Switch to get an 84 on Metacritic. They could make P3R work on Switch.

And c'mon, you know that 74 on Metacritic is one point away from a green 75. And like I said, I don't even view that as a point against remastering it, that shows there's more room for improvement than with SMT V. Atlas has remastered games that didn't sell great in the past. How much did Devil Survivor 2 sell on DS? How much did Radiant Historia sell on DS?

Not really? As @lattjeful said, it's still a bunch of small areas segmented by loading zones. That fact alone makes it pretty doable on Switch. And you can always do 720p @ 30 FPS and simplify shading. SMT V is way more technically demanding than P3R with its huge open areas and they got that running well enough on Switch to get an 84 on Metacritic. They could make P3R work on Switch.

And c'mon, you know that 74 on Metacritic is one point away from a green 75. And like I said, I don't even view that as a point against remastering it, that shows there's more room for improvement than with SMT V. Atlas has remastered games that didn't sell great in the past. How much did Devil Survivor 2 sell on DS? How much did Radiant Historia sell on DS?
SMTV has pretty poor performance, with FPS drops frequently hitting sub 20 FPS, and the resolution very rarely hitting native res, if ever. P3R wouldn't work without major cut backs, and with Switch 2 around the corner, it's also not worth doing.

Doesn't really matter if there's more room for improvement, because people have shown they aren't interested in Soul Hackers 2. And the Atlus games that didn't sell amazingly but got remasters were ones that were cult classics beloved by the people who actually played it, like the aforementioned Radiant Historia. Soul Hackers 2 in comparison, doesn't have that.

Gah, I feel so guilty thinking about this game. I bought SMTV at launch, was really excited to get into it… but never actually ended up starting. It’s just been sitting on my shelf, staring, waiting for me to finally move it up the queue! Now that this is announced, I’d feel like a fool for playing the copy I already own when there’s a more definitive version out there, but I’d feel like a dunce for buying the definitive version when I apparently couldn’t be bothered to play the original one for three years!

I'm assuming Soul Hackers 2 Maniax is happening at some point just by virtue of it being an Atlus game and thus getting another version down the line eventually.

Gah, I feel so guilty thinking about this game. I bought SMTV at launch, was really excited to get into it… but never actually ended up starting. It’s just been sitting on my shelf, staring, waiting for me to finally move it up the queue! Now that this is announced, I’d feel like a fool for playing the copy I already own when there’s a more definitive version out there, but I’d feel like a dunce for buying the definitive version when I apparently couldn’t be bothered to play the original one for three years!
This new version is in essence the original game and a retelling offered as two distinct paths to take, so if it helps you can just play the SMTV you have now and pick this one up some other time.

Feel like it should be stated that SMT V on Switch isn’t some complete technical disaster. Battles, indoor areas, and cutscenes look fine to quite nice and the performance, while not stable, isn’t unplayable in any way. I have issues with the low res + sparkle effect occasionally bothering my eyes, but on the whole you get acclimated to the game’s presentation and it’s totally fine.

SMTV has pretty poor performance, with FPS drops frequently hitting sub 20 FPS, and the resolution very rarely hitting native res, if ever. P3R wouldn't work without major cut backs, and with Switch 2 around the corner, it's also not worth doing.

Doesn't really matter if there's more room for improvement, because people have shown they aren't interested in Soul Hackers 2. And the Atlus games that didn't sell amazingly but got remasters were ones that were cult classics beloved by the people who actually played it, like the aforementioned Radiant Historia. Soul Hackers 2 in comparison, doesn't have that.
The performance issues are overblown. I played through the entire game and had a very pleasant experience. I just noticed a few frame drops in the 3rd open area, but not a deal breaker by any means. It didn't seem to bother most critics that much either seeing as the game has an 84 on Metacritic. It was by no means a shitshow like Scarlet/Violet. P3R would likely run better than SMT V on Switch since it doesn't have to deal with large open areas.

Why not bring SH2 to the Nintendo audience to see if there's interest there?

So companies will never take another crack at a game that didn't sell well unless it got an 80+ on Metacritic? Another Code Recollection says "hi" (a remake/remaster of a Metacritic 70 and a Metacritic 66). Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD says "hi" (a remaster of a Metacritic 74).

me after deciding ill buy vengeance after having wasted like what? ~80$ on base smtv
cEz5IWK.jpeg

Yeah that's the best of both worlds really. An enhanced version that adds a lot to the original game + the alternative Vengeance path being ~80h as well!! Unless it turns out it's mostly the same with a different ending, sounds as much as a "SMT V sequel" as we can get. New area and dungeon is exciting as fuck, the new character looks amazing, having humans in your party is super neat.

If it ends up being available as an expansion as it seems from the fact that digital pre-orders on Switch won't go out at the same time as physical and other consoles' version, I'll definitely buy it. I can't wait to follow that path!!

the alternative Vengeance path being ~80h as well!!
I think that is counting the time in the "base game section" to get there as Vengeance doesn't start till some point in the base story. I think the new content is probably more like 40-50 hours which is still good.

I think that is counting the time in the "base game section" to get there as Vengeance doesn't start till some point in the base story. I think the new content is probably more like 40-50 hours which is still good.
This is probably right, and this does say they 'start similarly' and it doesn't say how much overlap there is, but they are kind of saying that they're 80 hours each (plus lots of other good info in here!):

Did the developers interview specify if the entire SMT team worked on this? If so, then we may very well be four to five years away from SMTVI
It refers to "the team" in general terms, so it's quite likely they were all in on this.

I'm trying to figure out who the other three ladies in Lilith's girl posse are. I've seen guesses that the hat lady is Hecate while the blonde is Hel, but I haven't seen a guess on the animalistic one I think I like. Any thoughts?

It refers to "the team" in general terms, so it's quite likely they were all in on this.

I'm trying to figure out who the other three ladies in Lilith's girl posse are. I've seen guesses that the hat lady is Hecate while the blonde is Hel, but I haven't seen a guess on the animalistic one I think I like. Any thoughts?
I could see the blonde being Hel, or maybe Persephone? Hecate makes a lot of sense for the hat one. I like her design.

For the final one... uhhh... Maya? No idea.

Last edited:
me after deciding ill buy vengeance after having wasted like what? ~80$ on base smtv
cEz5IWK.jpeg
I gotchu fami.

Bought the collector's edition AND a separate steel book edition (albeit on sale).

And I'm still gonna cop Vengeance day one.

Doin what I gotta do to help manifest SMT to higher levels of success 💪

Glad Atlus admitted the lack of story in SMT5 was a problem and is fixing it here. That game is so good despite worse character development and story than any RPG in ages. This has the potential to reach Xenoblade 2 levels of perfection.

I got to the last(?) area in the base version before I fell off, partially because there was practically no plot to keep me hooked. If reviews say the story in the new path is better than the old one I'll probably double-dip.

On PC that is

There it is then! I see SEGA is giving the game 2 extra localizations, good to see, hoping it's an auspice for them publishing the EU Switch release themselves this time around. I don't think there's a way to check if that's the case as of right now.

There it is then! I see SEGA is giving the game 2 extra localizations, good to see, hoping it's an auspice for them publishing the EU Switch release themselves this time around. I don't think there's a way to check if that's the case as of right now.
I don't recall what happened for vanilla's website with Nintendo handling it in EU AUNZ, but the new website for Vengeance https://atlus.com/smt5v/ implies Sega is handling it everywhere which is good.

I’m also not a fan of saving anywhere. If you can save after every battle to not risk losing even an inch of progress, it kills tension as there’s little at stake other than a minute of time.

I'd definitely be interested in playing a new version of SMT5 with a more stable framerate and at a higher resolution... What I'm wondering is, is it worth finishing my current unfinished run as opposed to just waiting for and playing the new route? I got maybe 50-60% of the way through and while I really liked it, I could see myself getting burnt out.

I got the steelbook version of the original release for like $35 a month after it came out, so I'm not too upset about double dipping on this.

On saving anywhere, I don't recall the original release being that stingy with save points to begin with? I don't think there's that much tension really being lost here, it would just make saving and quitting more convenient.

I just remembered I did with SMT5 what I sometimes do with RPGs, and never properly finished it because I meant to do all the side quests before finishing the game. So I'll likely just do the final stretch sometime soon, and then play the new route once Vengeance is out.

I'd definitely be interested in playing a new version of SMT5 with a more stable framerate and at a higher resolution... What I'm wondering is, is it worth finishing my current unfinished run as opposed to just waiting for and playing the new route? I got maybe 50-60% of the way through and while I really liked it, I could see myself getting burnt out.

It sounds like they have done improvements to the base game also so might be worth waiting if you are planning to get VV.

I never noticed performance issues with SMTV and the game was beautiful at times, but changes to the story is promising as I got burnt out the first go around near the last third. Hope to see some returning faces that aren't just ports from SH2.

Glad Atlus admitted the lack of story in SMT5 was a problem and is fixing it here. That game is so good despite worse character development and story than any RPG in ages. This has the potential to reach Xenoblade 2 levels of perfection.
Honestly, lack of story is one aspects I loved about SMT5. In monster catching RPG's I usually get lost in fusing/grinding/dex completing business, I completely forget about the story. SMT5 was much more comfortable in that way, I was jumping from side quest to side quest without worrying about the main story. Whole deal was saving Tokyo (and the world) anyways.

Honestly, lack of story is one aspects I loved about SMT5. In monster catching RPG's I usually get lost in fusing/grinding/dex completing business, I completely forget about the story. SMT5 was much more comfortable in that way, I was jumping from side quest to side quest without worrying about the main story. Whole deal was saving Tokyo (and the world) anyways.
I found that aspect of SMT5 lacking compared to even prior main SMT games like Nocturne or even SMT2. I'd rather they have cut these characters out instead of having them just appear randomly with no build up for story moments. So having less of a narrative or story focus isn't an issue, but the way they did in SMT5 was disappointing.

I liked SMTV's narrative leaving plot elements up to player interpretation with crucial lore only found through sidequests, so the idea that this was always a mistake on the developer's part is a little depressing.

I gotchu fami.

Bought the collector's edition AND a separate steel book edition (albeit on sale).

And I'm still gonna cop Vengeance day one.

Doin what I gotta do to help manifest SMT to higher levels of success 💪
I have the steelbook edition, now I'm selling the base game for cheap lmao. Hope it sells though.

People: Finally, SMT V is leaving the shackles of the Nintendo Switch hardware
Me: Buys the game on the Nintendo Switch again 😂😂😂

It really isn't. You could warp back to any save point at your leisure, so this decision just kills the tension of exploring the world.

Ehh, takes away all the tension of playing SMT imo
Well personally as someone who already beat the game I feel like it's a bonus. Whether it affects first time players, not sure. It'll appeal more to some this way.

Well personally as someone who already beat the game I feel like it's a bonus. Whether it affects first time players, not sure. It'll appeal more to some this way.

The game on Switch already let you suspend the console and come back later. I guess that OS feature removed the tension and ruined the game. Thanks Nintendo!

I feel like since SMTV wasn't (really) a dungeon crawler and save points were so common, being able to save anywhere doesn't change a whole lot. Sure, you still had some tension from trying to rush to the next save point at times, but it wasn't anywhere near the way it used to be in older games and rarely mattered much at all. At worst it punished you slightly or made run-backs to certain encounters a bit longer, but it was mostly just a small 'tax' and pretty pointless.

I just remembered I did with SMT5 what I sometimes do with RPGs, and never properly finished it because I meant to do all the side quests before finishing the game. So I'll likely just do the final stretch sometime soon, and then play the new route once Vengeance is out.
98.jpg

......hmmmmmm.....

Never played any SMT game, but played Persona 5 and 4 last year, and really liked these games, so what are chances of like this game?
Do you like the story and characters of Persona or the gameplay systems and themes? Mainline SMT is not big on characters self-actualizing. Instead the characters are symbolic representations of the wider conflict between submission to authority and taking power for oneself.

If you like the character stuff, I'd recommend the 3DS Devil Survivor games instead, particularly Devil Survivor Overclocked. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are also up your alley, but those are locked to the PS2.

If you like the gameplay or symbolism behind the Persona games, then yeah mainline is for you. It's kind of like Dragon Quest where you wander from place to place solving problems caused by demons, but the world you're wandering is usually some form of post-apocalyptic Tokyo and the famous neighborhoods within it. Lots of demon fusion and some philosophic questions about power and who gets to use it.

Last edited:
If you're used to Persona, you'll probably dislike this game. It's like Pokemon and Digimon.
I don't necessarily know about that - I love both SMT and Persona. It's probably more that if what you really love about Persona is the life sim/slice-of-life stuff and not the combat/demons/dungeons, then SMT might not be for you. But if you do like that side of it there's a lot to like in SMT as well.

Do you like the story and characters of Persona or the gameplay systems and themes? Mainline SMT is not big on characters self-actualizing. Instead the characters are symbolic representations of the wider conflict between submission to authority and taking power for oneself.

If you like the character stuff, I'd recommend the 3DS Devil Survivor games instead, particularly Devil Survivor Overclocked. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are also up your alley, but those are locked to the PS2.

Exploring palaces/dungeons and RPG aspects like battles system are things I most liked. Story, characters and outside activities are cool too, but I liked more the RPG part of game.

Back
Top Bottom