• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution announced for GBA (UPDATE: Switch/PS4/PS5/PC versions confirmed plus new trailer)

BlackthornOrion

#theprocessbroke

Not personally a fan of Limited Run in general, and it's a bit frustrating that they're (seemingly) not confirming at least a digital release on modern platforms (even if logically there's no way they aren't doing that), but regardless it's just absolutely bonkers that this is a thing that's happening.

Last edited:
If anyone is tripping about how they are doing this release, it will be dumped 100%.

Interesting release for sure.

That's really cool and it looks great. GBA pixel art was really something. Hopefully they announce this for current consoles soon enough.

Since LRG lives off FOMO surely they're initially presenting this as a GBA exclusive to entice as many people as possible to buy it, "just in case". A version for current consoles should happen shortly afterwards.

This is really cool. I'm tempted to buy it just for novelty's sake. But really hoping for a release on modern consoles, especially Switch down the line 👀

Huh, I guess I never realized that the original plans for this were so different from what we ultimately got with Risky's Revenge. Echoing OP, I'm not the biggest fan of LRG, but this is still very cool to see nonetheless.

Pleasent surprise, never thought they would revisit this since I thought this was basically reworked into Risky's Revenge (hope is better than that game).

I mean, I guess this is neat. Only played 1 and 3 but I heard that 2 was originally this GBA game that had dev issues and was even planned to be episodic so people said it was “incomplete” compared to the others. Now they went full circle

Would I play it? Sure I guess, that series is honestly mid and I feel like I got my fix from what I played but might as well finish the trilogy. Would I play it if the only way is to buy a GBA cartridge in 2023? Hell no, it’s one of my favorite systems but I just got too used to the bigger screen of the 3DS XL (and Wii U).

LRG are so lame, they are basically grifting the people that “only buy physical” while wasting a bunch of plastic. Their handling of Shantae is particularly disappointing and wasteful, imagine wasting a whole plastic box and bluray disc just to play one 246MB GBC game on your PS4. I get the appeal of things like retro games, physical games and collector’s editions but might as well make it worth it. Their format just isn’t

Limited Run Games?

fuck-you-fck-you.gif

I figured there would be at least one Game Boy line title I’d buy. I only care about the physical release since it’s an actual GBA cartridge. Otherwise, this would have been a Switch download. Nice try pretending this won’t eventually release outside GBA, LRG.

(The showcase was painful to watch. It tried to channel the Devolver Directs and never got anywhere close. Long live the queen, Nina Struthers)

That’s incredible!! I always wanted to play that demo, and now it’s getting made into a full game!? That’s nuts!!

Day 1! :D

Will wait for release on the Steam and I will not have to wait until fucking 2030 to get my order either.

LRG is a big no for me every time. Crooks

i specifically remember hearing about this back during the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter, they did a livestream of the prototype they had. (audio is a bit loud)

word was they couldn't publicly release the build because it frequently used Sonic Advance sound effects as placeholders, so instead deciding to finish the game makes sense.

Limited Run Games is likely only the publisher of the physical GBA version, and WayForward will self-publish the Switch version. I imagine LRG's contract requires a short term exclusivity window, so WayForward is in a position where they can't announce the Switch version

Quoted by: Tye
Limited Run Games is likely only the publisher of the physical GBA version, and WayForward will self-publish the Switch version. I imagine LRG's contract requires a short term exclusivity window, so WayForward is in a position where they can't announce the Switch version
I doubt it, considering Limited Run Games was also the publisher for both the physical and digital versions of GBC Shantae on Switch, not WayForward.

It looks great! I'd love to see more modern retro releases like this!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Nintendo collects any royalty?

I doubt it, considering Limited Run Games was also the publisher for both the physical and digital versions of GBC Shantae on Switch, not WayForward.
Yeah. In the showcase, Matt Bozon even said, “There’s no way this game was coming back without Limited Run. This is the only way this game would ever get into players’ hands.” Sounds like LRG is footing the bill to complete development.*

[*I don’t know that for sure, just going by the showcase quote.

Yeah. In the showcase, Matt Bozon even said, “There’s no way this game was coming back without Limited Run. This is the only way this game would ever get into players’ hands.” Sounds like LRG is footing the bill to complete development.*

[*I don’t know that for sure, just going by the showcase quote.

They are. LRG has bankrolled a few other things for WF such as their ports of Clock Tower and River City Girls 0, plus Vitamin Connection. So this doesn't surprise me.

Super cool idea for this game to be finished and polished for OG GBA hardware, but my stance on LRG is as it always has (solidified by how they pretty much enabled their transphobic CM to work for so long + how they didn't even fire her, embracer had to step in) so I'll probably just wait for these to hit VGP or some other retailer when this is actually in-hand and exists in reality

Man this is so cool. Seeing a canned game get fi ished by its creators on the original system it was built for is incredible. A physical release only on Gba is perfectly fine, we have tons of digital exclusives, a physical exclusive is fair play. I'm sure it'll get a digital and physical release on Switch and others eventually.

It’s a GBA game. A game for the single most pirated console of all time.

The ROM will get dumped and released online virtually immediately following its launch. It is at no risk of becoming lost media.

Awesome, I really love the Shantae games and I'm still waiting for her inclusion in Smash.

Didn't the Limited Run announcement sort of spoil this particular reveal (including the part about it being released on all platforms)?

Didn't the Limited Run announcement sort of spoil this particular reveal (including the part about it being released on all platforms)?

Not really. This is just a formal reveal for the Indie showcase.

FYI, this is available for pre-order.

$72.11 including shipping and tax for a GBA game is LOL. I’ve spent more on some loose games in the past four years so maybe I shouldn’t complain. $8 for shipping was kind of suspect though. Trip World DX recently arrived and shipping was $6. 😒

The Collector’s Edition with the gold cartridge (and other stuff) is $99.99 before shipping and tax. That’s gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom