• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour SEGA's western social media pages are suddenly posting about the Puyo Puyo Quest mobile game, localization incoming?

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

of note, the Arle icon on the second tweet seems to be completely new. and both links direct to the Japanese app store, presumably because it's not live yet outside that region?

the game is particularly notable for being hugely popular in Japan. with SEGA's financial reports frequently noting it as being their largest revenue stream in that market.

SEGA did at one point try to bring it outside of the region years ago, but in a heavily modified form.

"Cranky Food Friends" was their unusual attempt at trying this, keeping the basic gameplay but removing all references to the Puyo series. this only lasted less than a year before SEGA shut it down.

afterwards SEGA began properly localizing the mainline entries without modifications starting with Puyo Puyo Tetris, so it makes sense this version wouldn't make any drastic changes.

GBSZxlXW0AIXwe-.jpg:orig

hmmm
while these are ad posts, it's odd that they were posted on the western SEGA account rather than the Japanese one.

not to mention the continued use of (there's some debate on if they're reused from Puyo Chronicles, but there's some minor tweaks to them at the very least) 3D models on the app icon, when the game solely used 2D art up to this point.

I'd love Quest or Chronicle to get localised, so fingers crossed.

SEGA did at one point try to bring it outside of the region years ago, but in a heavily modified form.

"Cranky Food Friends" was their unusual attempt at trying this, keeping the basic gameplay but removing all references to the Puyo series. this only lasted less than a year before SEGA shut it down.
I have wondered if the fans would have been a lot more receptive if it were Dr. Robotnik (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog version) themed. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is still considered a favourite to this day, so I imagine that if they used this Robotnik, it would've fared better, right? I guess character designs would have required more effort, but since Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was released before the knowledge of reskins become widespread, surely it would have been treated more warmly compared to any reskin attempt?

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom