• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sega: The impact of “other major titles” hurt sales of Sonic Superstars

Sega has had bad timing releasing their games. in the hoilday window. Last year Sonic Frontiers had to deal with GOW, Pokemon, Mario and Rabbids. This year the same issue happened again.

I suppose it is kinda unfair to expect a bad game to compete with an excellent one.

Sega has had bad timing releasing their games. in the hoilday window. Last year Sonic Frontiers had to deal with GOW, Pokemon, Mario and Rabbids. This year the same issue happened again.
It's like they don't learn. It baffles me how a company's execs can willingly dig their own graves, with no consequences. The Board of Sega must have fly-brained on board

Waiting for the headline:

"Nintendo thanks Sonic Superstars for the great sales of Mario Wonder"

They even do it to themselves. This month, a Yakuza Like a Dragon game and a Persona game released within a week of each other, both are content-rich games that fans of Japanese games would enjoy. And in just 2 months, they’re doing it again with Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. These are not short games and they have a not insignificant amount of fanbase crossover!

Why are they doing this! It’s like they WANT these games to miss their expectations or something.

That thread title is kinda misleading, they didn’t really say that? Overall their answer seem reasonable to that question. Even though it would have been preventable by releasing the game in another month instead of that time in the year where seemingly all big games need to come out, especially this year.

Last edited:
It's like they don't learn. It baffles me how a company's execs can willingly dig their own graves, with no consequences. The Board of Sega must have fly-brained on board

Not really. Of course a lot of games come out around the winter holidays. A ton of people buy games around then for gifts or as a result of one. You need to have the game out long enough to give parents time to buy the game. It's probably why Spider-Man 2 sold more than Mario at launch, but I'd be greatly surprised if Mario doesn't destroy Spider-Man 2 by January or earlier (if it hasn't already after black friday).

I don't think Sonic was ever going to blow the lid off of October but I think it's going to sell better throughout the holidays. I doubt the quote was talking about just Mario considering how packed the release was and the usage of " companies' ", though Mario would be the most direct competitor.

Not really. Of course a lot of games come out around the winter holidays. A ton of people buy games around then for gifts or as a result of one. You need to have the game out long enough to give parents time to buy the game. It's probably why Spider-Man 2 sold more than Mario at launch, but I'd be greatly surprised if Mario doesn't destroy Spider-Man 2 by January or earlier (if it hasn't already after black friday).

I don't think Sonic was ever going to blow the lid off of October but I think it's going to sell better throughout the holidays. I doubt the quote was talking about just Mario considering how packed the release was and the usage of " companies' ", though Mario would be the most direct competitor.
I also think they meant "other companies' titles". Looking through that document it doesn‘t seem like it was translated with the greatest care. It‘s full of weird terms like "Repeat Titles" (Remakes or Ports I assume) and some grammatical mistakes.

Last edited:
Mario... Challenging...
Yeah aside from 1 and losts levels (2) the heck you're talking about.
For me it’s all about balance. Nobody wants a hardcore Mario game. It is its very nature to bring people together and be accessible to as many people as possible.

However, this is the first time I feel that there is not also a challenge so that everyone is satisfied. Even recently, there were some things a little more difficult.

I really had the feeling of playing a game from the Yoshi series, particularly beautiful, particularly creative with 1000 ideas per second, a very good game, but which was not at all rewarding and for me to be at least a little gratified is also part of Mario’s DNA. I’m not asking for die and retry of course, but simply something a little less unbalanced.

This is obviously only my personal feeling and nothing else. I am a little surprised that my opinion is received with some hostility.

They even do it to themselves. This month, a Yakuza Like a Dragon game and a Persona game released within a week of each other, both are content-rich games that fans of Japanese games would enjoy. And in just 2 months, they’re doing it again with Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. These are not short games and they have a not insignificant amount of fanbase crossover!

Why are they doing this! It’s like they WANT these games to miss their expectations or something.
They also released Tactica the same day as SMRPG, at a higher RRP. I'm someone who was previously day 1 for almost anything SMT/Persona, and I've wanted this sort of spinoff for a while, but I'm tired of encouraging them.

Me saying what I said about the art style has nothing to do with it being 3D vs 2D. I think there's a way to do 3D and it to still look good. Sonic Superstars' art style is actively nothing. It's there. It's not offensive, but it exists. Sonic has looked way better in 3D for a much longer time. For Superstars, there's like zero personality or style to any of the characters in the game, which IMO is hard to do because Sonic character designs are S tier.
I agree, superstars' art style is New SMB level or even worse, I didn't grow up playing sprite-based games but even I recognize that Mania is a prettier game.

Sometime in 2023, Sega HQ.
  • Oh hi, Nintendo !
  • Oh hi, Sega !
  • That's me ! By the way, we're planning to release a new 2D Sonic game in November. You have nothing to release this year, right ? Like, at all ?
  • Naaah, just a 2D Mario game from our C-team and its C-men that have worked with us for 40 years in a row. Nothing to worry.
  • Yeah, I don't see how that could be a treat to a new Sonic game !
  • Ah ah ah, what a story Sega !

Back
Top Bottom