• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sega has announced the Sega Mega Drive Mini 2, which will include CD-based games

At the base price I would at least be considering it, though that's more than I want to spend on this product. But while I understand it's an import item, that extra $22 for shipping is what really kills it for me. Unfortunately I'm going to have to skip this one.

I like that they have Sega CD games and Virtua Racing, but for $125 I don’t think I’m in. I bought the Genesis mini 1 at launch and a 6-button USB controller. I also still have a working Genesis+SCD+32x so it’s a tough sell.

https://www.nintendolife.com/guides...list-every-genesis-and-sega-cd-game-announced

Final Fight CD and both Lunar games announced for Japan. A little worried that lunar won’t come over since Popful Mail wasn’t in the US list (Though the rights for those are probably different. Such a mess of ownership for the old working designs stuff). Hopefully these cd games get released on NSO

I hope both Lunar games get the english versions too. If they’re in Japanese only I’m sure someone will hack in the english translation though.

I've been waiting for any type of re-release of OutRunners forever, so I had to preorder this. OutRun and Super Hang-On really sweeten the deal.

I hope both Lunar games get the english versions too. If they’re in Japanese only I’m sure someone will hack in the english translation though.

The amount of companies and people that would have to come to the table to make this happen gives me a lot of doubt, but I’d be ecstatic if they could make it happen. Vic Ireland would have to come out of hiding as well.

Ok, I need to vent right now. What the hell is going on, Sega? Still no confirmation for Europe and after half a month no additional games for the Genesis version as well - which btw can only be delivered to the US for some weird reason. I understand the world is in shambles right now and that due to Covid everything regarding the release of new hardware (from the supply chain to manufacturing and logistics) is unpredictable and expensive, but Sega's communication with their fans regarding the Mini 2 has been terrible so far.

The amount of companies and people that would have to come to the table to make this happen gives me a lot of doubt, but I’d be ecstatic if they could make it happen. Vic Ireland would have to come out of hiding as well.

Why? Gungho have full rights to the entire Lunar series. Working Designs doesn't even exist anymore, let alone hold any rights to the localisation. Hell, we've already seen plenty of re-releases that were previously localised by Working Designs; even on the TG16 mini!

Why? Gungho have full rights to the entire Lunar series. Working Designs doesn't even exist anymore, let alone hold any rights to the localisation. Hell, we've already seen plenty of re-releases that were previously localised by Working Designs; even on the TG16 mini!
Ireland (or whatever co. he has now) still holds rights over their scripts and potentially still publishing rights too. They'll license the rereleases though, provided you can actually get ahold of someone.

Let's hope Sega's licensing dept pulled the impossible and surprises us with Popful Mail, Vay and both Lunars. Konami wasn't so lucky, even WD's involvement with Dungeon Explorer II was probably the reason it skipped PCE Mini tbh.

Ireland (or whatever co. he has now) still holds rights over their scripts and potentially still publishing rights too. They'll license the rereleases though, provided you can actually get ahold of someone.

Let's hope Sega's licensing dept pulled the impossible and surprises us with Popful Mail, Vay and both Lunars. Konami wasn't so lucky, even WD's involvement with Dungeon Explorer II was probably the reason it skipped PCE Mini tbh.
Tbh I think there’s a lot of uhhhhh “writing choices” in Popful Mail that means it will absolutely not be on this in English

Tbh I think there’s a lot of uhhhhh “writing choices” in Popful Mail that means it will absolutely not be on this in English
From what little I have seen of it, it seemed more like a Metroidvania. Is the story/ text actually important, or can you play the Japanese version without missing too much (as someone who doesn't speak the language)?

here's the next 10 games.
mega drive
Gain Ground
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Sorcerian
Tougi Ou: King Colossus
Viewpoint

mega cd
Ecco the Dolphin CD
Robo Aleste
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Shin Megami Tensei
Tenka Fubu: Eiyuu-tachi no Houkou
ecco the dolphin cd is probably the most interesting, as the japanese version of that was actually a compilation containing both the original game and tides of time.
the west got both games as standalone cd titles, so it'll be curious to see how that's handled for the genesis mini.

here's the next 10 games.

ecco the dolphin cd is probably the most interesting, as the japanese version of that was actually a compilation containing both the original game and tides of time.
the west got both games as standalone cd titles, so it'll be curious to see how that's handled for the genesis mini.

On the Genesis will probably Tides of Time be included, since we got the first game on the last mini. I assume there will be both games though, when you switch the language option to Japanese.

Coming to Europe same day and the full game list revealed.

Good list. Has a lot of great games, though I fed many have releases fatigue at this point. The Sega CD games are decent but not the top of the list in my book. It hurts majorly there is no Lunar or Popful Mail (or Snatcher). Crusader of Centy getting a rerelease for the first time is major news though. Price and lack of appeal (plus likelihood of NSO releases) makes me think I’ll sit this one out.

Last edited:
The lack of Lunar, Lunar 2, Snatcher and Popful Mail in the western editions really suck.

Also I would have preferred a best of both worlds between MD mini 1 and MD mini 2 in term of game selection instead the impression is that Sega tried to separate the game selections of the two to sell both (which is understandable but still blows).

Last edited:
The English version of Popful Mail has some frankly embarassing language in it and I don’t blame Sega one iota for distancing themselves from that

the "bonus" games are utterly nuts. one of them is straight up a completely unreleased game sega made back in the 90s.

you get super locomotive, albeit without the lovely chiptune arrangement of yellow magic orchestra's classic song "rydeen". instead it's the legally distinct "ryzeen" by oriental magnetic yellow, a tribute band staffed by notable game composers such as Shinji Hosoe.

space harrier 2 is an enhanced version with proper sprite scaling, thanks to m2 creating their own custom vdp chip from scratch. they also made a new port of the original game from scratch to further demonstrate it.

and there's a brand new version of party quiz sega q with a set of new questions.

on the other hand. the game list for the genesis mini 2 is completely underwhelming, while it does at least keep all of the cool bonus games (except for the quiz one.) a lot of the swapped out games are simply cruft that had been readily re-released multiple times up to this point.

I don’t know. When the NES and SNES mini came out I hadn’t played those games for a very long time. But with the Genesis Mini, we have most of the games on NSO and the EShop. I’m somehow not too keen on hooking up another system.

I’m resisting. I have the first one, and I don’t really need another on my shelf since I already modded that one. Plus need to save the money for switch games

Resisting as well. Just don't have the extra buckaroos right now. :(

SEGA, RE-RELEASE CENTI YOU COWARDS!

Back
Top Bottom