• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion SEGA Discussion Thread | It's Genesis. Not Mega Drive. It's Genesis.

Silky

GET IN THE RING
Pronouns
he/him
sega.jpg

SEGA is a Japan-based Mega Publisher and Development house of some of the most influential and critically acclaimed franchises in video game history. Dynamite Headdy, Centy, Last Bronx, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Seaman are among the many games to come from the house of the blue devil. Nowadays they make really great RPGs and shitpost on twitter.

I searched and did not see a thread discussing the greatest publisher to shock the wrestling world, so let's have a SEGA discussion thread. Yes this includes Atlus if you wanna talk about fucking Trauma Center or something lmao

--
THE-GAME-AWARDS-2023_-Official-4K-Livestream-TODAY-at-7_30p-ET_4_30p-PT_12_30a-GMT-1-20-44-screenshot.png

One day last year, SEGA decided to ball out and announce a bunch of sequels to some loser franchises, like these bums up here. They are apparently doing more, but to be frank if they're not doing Dynamite Headdy 2 I do not care.

Surprised nobody made a Sega discussion thread yet, but good that it’s here now. Can’t wait to see what becomes of Sega‘s massive refresh

Surprised nobody made a Sega discussion thread yet, but good that it’s here now. Can’t wait to see what becomes of Sega‘s massive refresh
There's a Sonic Franchise thread and the Personas got a lot of love, but outside of those I dunno what all a Sega thread might've had to work with. 😅

But now after the TGA announcement, here's hoping this thread will be awesome and active.

1J7RMYs.gif

Sonic the Hedgehog is my absolute favorite third-party video game series (well, the modern-style games from Sonic Adventure onwards, at least), and Samba de Amigo: Party Central was kind of my game of the year last year, so I like SEGA a decent amount.

However, I really wish they would stop doing shitty things like this:
I fucking hate this trend of SEGA making DLC exclusive to buying shit from other places like this. First there was the cel shaded “Comic Style” skins for Sonic Superstars that were exclusive to fucking Kroger “Points Rewards Plus” of all things (which I couldn’t get without buying $80 worth of stuff that I don’t want from a store I don’t shop at, so I never got them despite wanting them, and now it looks like they’re just gone forever since the DLC is no longer available via Kroger Rewards), and now there’s this fucking Retro Diner Style Amy skin that’s exclusive to this shitty IHOP promotion.

image-9.png

I haven’t looked into exactly how much I’d have to spend at IHOP to get this Amy skin, but it doesn’t matter anyway because there’s no way I’m gonna spend any money at IHOP when they have virtually no vegan options at all. If SEGA’s gonna do shitty promotions with exclusive DLC like this, they should at least make the DLC normally available to purchase after the promotional period is over… I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people upset at this shit.

Anyway, SEGA fans should absolutely check out Samba de Amigo: Party Central. Not only is it a super fun game, but it’s got a good amount of music from other SEGA games, too!

I heard great things about Party Central but I saw that Samba de Janeiro, the most important song in the franchise, was missing (along with a really strange lack of latin music to begin with).

Hope some more Gen/MD games come to NSO soon. I've only got five games left to beat now.

For something I think is newsworthy for hardcore SEGA fans, but probably wouldn't be picked up in general, Serani Poji's debut album is on digital/streaming services now. Which is, of course, basically the lyrical part of the soundtrack for Roommania #203.

What is your favourite Sega Saturn game?

It's a pretty standard answer, but probably Sakura Wars or Panzer Dragoon Saga. I played them for the first time pretty close to each other after getting my Satiator a few years ago and it was a pretty great time. Really looking forward to the fan translation of Sakura Wars 2.

I think my favorite Saturn game just might be Guardian Heroes. The system has a ton of great games, but that one pops in my head first when I think of the Saturn. It played to Saturn's 2D strengths, has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, fun to play and very replayble as well.

I also have a lot of love for Baku Baku Animal, a puzzle game (kind of like Puzzle Fighter before Puzzle Fighter existed) that seems to be mostly forgotten these days. Another game that seems lost to time is Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean. To be fair I wouldn't say it's a super amazing, must play hidden gem. It doesn't really do anything special to separate it from other RPGs of the time. It's simply a well made 16-bit era RPG with a 32-bit coat of paint that I enjoyed quite a bit. And another great soundtrack!

The port gets (rightly) pilloried, but I still put a ton of time into Daytona USA and had a lot of fun with it. And I don't care what anyone says, the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast was a good time.

I'll never forget when EB briefly sold import Saturn games and though I wanted them all, I only had enough money to buy one. I chose Dragon Ball Z Legends, and the other game I was seriously considering but left behind was...Radiant Silvergun. Oof. I liked DBZ Legends but that's still relatively easy to get today; Radiant Silvergun not so much.

Then of course there's Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Astal, Fighters Megamix, Virtual On, Street Fighter Alpha 2, X-Men vs Street Fighter, NiGHTS, and many more...I have a lot of fond memories of the Sega Saturn. I never regretted choosing it over the PlayStation.

You’ll start a war with that title

Anyway, outside of Persona and Sonic I don’t particularly have a lot of nostalgia or attachment to Sega games, but I did get the Yakuza series on sale which I will start… eventually

I don't have an extensive history with Sega hardware. My parents picked Super Nintendo when my sister and I were kids simply because they heard of Nintendo before. My cousin had a Genesis and boy, did I enjoy playing that when we visited.

I had a Saturn and Dreamcast in the mid to late 2000s which I then sold because I also didn't have the money to buy games for them. I moved a lot, and it was a pain to lug all those consoles from apartment to apartment. I am still planning to snag a Japanese Sega Saturn and send away to have it cleaned, recapped, and the SRAM mod installed. There are a ton of games likely stuck on the platform forever so I want access to them, and I prefer playing on official hardware especially more difficult to emulate ones like Saturn.

I've considered snagging a Dreamcast again for a couple outlier games stuck on the platform, but it's low priority right now. Many of the best games got ported and with enhancements such as my favorite Sega game ever, Skies of Arcadia Legends. However, the ODE selection is not great. I'm not supporting the TerraOnion MODE creator because he sucks as a person.

Otherwise, I have both Genesis Mini consoles. I've considered putting those ROMs on my Analogue Pocket to have them all in one place, but I could also not be lazy and just take the mini consoles out of storage when I want to play the games.

Recently, I ordered a modded Game Gear, but that's a story for the Retro Handhelds thread.

Yeah, it's probably gotta be Sakura Wars. Panzer Dragoon Saga is probably up there too. I recently played A LOT of Saturn and also liked Mr. Bones and Lunacy a lot, but by modern standards you'll need save states or guides for those. Others I like are Linkle Liver Story, Bulk Slash, Dragon Force, Burning Rangers.

I'm ready for those revivals. Including the rumored Virtua Fighter and PSO ones.

If anybody is poised to finally give Tekken some much needed competition in the 3D fighter space, it's definitely VF, if done right. The latter would just be nice to see Sega really do more with, because it's still so sad to remember how PSO was such a worldwide thing in the early 00s, just to fall off as much as it did.

Fighters Megamix

Great thread. I’ve been reading and watching a lot about Sega lately. Does anyone have any translated Japanese sources to advise me? I find it a bit unfortunate that we have only and constantly a Western point of view on the subject, which tends in a somewhat caricatural way to explain to us how wonderful Sega of America is and how everything is always the fault of Sega of japan which is necessarily a little simplistic.

One thing that particularly annoys me is the cult around Tom Kalinske of which we remember only what made us happy because as a child we watched the Sega commercials but which also made a lot of nonsense in my opinion.

Sega’s games were so wonderful, Sega’s developers were so talented, that I always found this obsession with competition quite sad. I always wondered if the comparative marketing that we glorified at the time of the Megadrive and that makes us happy now with nostalgic eyes were so great.

Instead of saying we do great things, Sega of America has spent its life talking about others and comparing themselves. I think his marketing deserved better than this kind of permanent inferiority complex. With a few exceptions Sony never had to talk about Nintendo to put its PlayStation in the eyes of the public for example and I think that given the quality of Sega’s games, positioning permanently according to others was perhaps a mistake in the longer term.

I need to actually play a few 👀

I never got a Saturn because I was waiting for Sonic X-Treme before getting one but.. we all know how that went. So I skipped Saturn and went right from Genesis to Dreamcast.

But dang, I wish we coulda seen what Sonic X-Treme woulda been like. Looked like such a weird and creative way to go about platforming in a 3D space.

However, I really wish they would stop doing shitty things like this:
Same. Really sucks that the Yakuza and Fantasy Zone customization DLC for Banana Mania are just lost. Sonic fans were on the ball enough to preserve the Korone DLC for Frontiers on PC, but the two for Banana Mania were not preserved and the five releasing for Banana Rumble likely won't either, and it'd be much harder to access anyways because it's a Switch exclusive this time.
GKTXvmxWkAEASVH
It's far from the worst way a company has done cosmetics, cough cough Street Fighter 6 pricing, but man it's just annoying.

Joining the war on Mega Drive, on the side of Mega Drive.

I'm ready for those revivals. Including the rumored Virtua Fighter and PSO ones.
Is there any substance to the PSO rumours? I feel like there's been rumours of a remaster for years and it's hopium. It'd be nice to have the game on modern consoles, with the kind of QoL private servers have added, and maybe even extra content, but I don't know it would ever happen.

Is there any substance to the PSO rumours? I feel like there's been rumours of a remaster for years and it's hopium. It'd be nice to have the game on modern consoles, with the kind of QoL private servers have added, and maybe even extra content, but I don't know it would ever happen.
For now, it's in the same boat of everything else that Midori and Head on the Block (from the purple place) have talked about in the last few months when it comes to these Sega revivals.

HotB said it's more akin to a "PSO1 remake". Midori's last comments have leaned more towards some sort of PSO2 derived spinoff, among other things. Somewhere between the two, there's probably the truth, I'd say.

For now, it's in the same boat of everything else that Midori and Head on the Block (from the purple place) have talked about in the last few months when it comes to these Sega revivals.

HotB said it's more akin to a "PSO1 remake". Midori's last comments have leaned more towards some sort of PSO2 derived spinoff, among other things. Somewhere between the two, there's probably the truth, I'd say.
I see. I'd rather have a remaster than a remake, honestly. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken PSO (especially NGS) so really don't trust them to stuff a remake full of cringe anime BS and gacha cosmetics.

I see. I'd rather have a remaster than a remake, honestly. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken PSO (especially NGS) so really don't trust them to stuff a remake full of cringe anime BS and gacha cosmetics.
To me, it depends.

For example, I loved PS Zero on the DS, it's probably my favorite Phantasy Star Online game since the original PSO run of eps 1-4. And the very reason for that is because the game veers much closer to PSO than its sequel.

Something like that, with perhaps a bit of Portable 2 Infinity's QoL and combat variety, would be something I'd like to see.

Came across my feed, and thought it was worth sharing in this thread. Especially with the recent talk of the Saturn.

We probably are overdue for a spinoff. It's been a loooooong time since Phantasy Star Nova. I guess Idola kind of counted too, but... Eh. With any luck, a new PSO2 spinoff could be as good as PSP2i. Love that game.

I'd definitely prefer something with PSO1 though, and they do seem to promote PSO1 related stuff a lot on socials and stuff. Still funny to me that there was a livestream where they just played through Forest on the Dreamcast instead of playing NGS.

I really hope the revival takes off and is a huge success for them. Streets of Rage is my favourite Sega IP, but I have fond memories of Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia and so many more.

Great thread. I’ve been reading and watching a lot about Sega lately. Does anyone have any translated Japanese sources to advise me? I find it a bit unfortunate that we have only and constantly a Western point of view on the subject, which tends in a somewhat caricatural way to explain to us how wonderful Sega of America is and how everything is always the fault of Sega of japan which is necessarily a little simplistic.

One thing that particularly annoys me is the cult around Tom Kalinske of which we remember only what made us happy because as a child we watched the Sega commercials but which also made a lot of nonsense in my opinion.

Sega’s games were so wonderful, Sega’s developers were so talented, that I always found this obsession with competition quite sad. I always wondered if the comparative marketing that we glorified at the time of the Megadrive and that makes us happy now with nostalgic eyes were so great.

Instead of saying we do great things, Sega of America has spent its life talking about others and comparing themselves. I think his marketing deserved better than this kind of permanent inferiority complex. With a few exceptions Sony never had to talk about Nintendo to put its PlayStation in the eyes of the public for example and I think that given the quality of Sega’s games, positioning permanently according to others was perhaps a mistake in the longer term.
How has no one reccomended you They Create Worlds yet. They've got several episodes dedicated to just SEGA direct from Japanese sources, and they gave the most comprehensive episode yet about the SEGA Saturn and what woes befell that development and some of the 32X from the Japanese side.

Thread title: It's Genesis not MegaDrive

Thread first sentence: SEGA is a Japan-based Mega Publisher

Came across my feed, and thought it was worth sharing in this thread. Especially with the recent talk of the Saturn.

You know, thinking of things after the new Saturn episode of TCW, the 32x was a pretty understandable mistake.

Sega had no reference for how much of a failure the CD was yet.
And they had seriously underestimated what Sony was doing.
No one knew how much money SoA was really burning until it was too late.

Everyone in general kinda fumbled this situation. But Tom Kalinske painted it as an "Us vs Them" thing.

To me, it depends.

For example, I loved PS Zero on the DS, it's probably my favorite Phantasy Star Online game since the original PSO run of eps 1-4. And the very reason for that is because the game veers much closer to PSO than its sequel.

Something like that, with perhaps a bit of Portable 2 Infinity's QoL and combat variety, would be something I'd like to see.
I adore Zero's aesthetic and would be happy if they made a HD version/sequel for sure. Gameplay wise I find it's aged kinda terribly and the last time I gave it a try I bounced off. It's impressive for a DS game though.

Zero is pretty damn cool, but yeah, it's mostly "as a DS game." I love it for what it is, but it's hard to give it too much praise when you compare them to the PSP games and especially Online itself. Being a Force just isn't as fun, and that's my main thing. The funny space cowboy setting was great though.

new NiGHTS please

Thank you.

EDiT: and a new sega racing game please this time with 20 persona characters

I'm still holding Steve Lycett to the promise of including Phantasy Star in the next All-Stars Racing, even if it's been about ten years since the SEGA Message Boards were a thing. They just need to make another one...

Radiant Silvergun. Panzer Dragoon Saga is also a life-changer. I with more people had played it because the battle system was so smooth and made it easy to face random battles. Moving around the enemy and holding a single button to attack is genius. Menu-less commands in RPGs should be more of a thing.

If it's an EVO announcement, I kind of feel like the ideal place would be the main one just to reach out to a bigger audience... but with the two being a few months apart, maybe having the reveal at EVO JP and doing more info in July would be a pretty okay way to announce sooner and maintain momentum with more info shortly afterward and all that marketing jargon I pretend to understand. Especially if they do anything crazy, like bring Kiryu in, since that would probably be a better thing to announce after the initial revival.

Either way, would be hype as hell to just finally see VF come back in the otherwise uncontested 3D fighter space, and also

I'm sorry to be that guy, but the Genesis sold more units in North America than the "Mega Drive" did in the other two territories combined. The thread title is correct.

I'm going to risk getting roasted here, but with the passing of time and looking back without rose-tinted glasses, IMO Nights Into Dreams is largely overrated. I think people got caught up in Nights being a Saturn savior because Yuji Naka created it, but in hindsight it's just a mid game at best. But then I also believe Sega peaked in the era of arcade racers (especially their super-scaler titles), so what do I know?

I'm going to risk getting roasted here, but with the passing of time and looking back without rose-tinted glasses, IMO Nights Into Dreams is largely overrated. I think people got caught up in Nights being a Saturn savior because Yuji Naka created it, but in hindsight it's just a mid game at best.
Oh I'd agree NiGHTS is not as good a game as some of us made it out to be back in the day, absolutely. Very interesting experiment for gameplay in a 3D space! And a noble effort by Sonic Team to do something stylistically different. But the finished package is more a novelty than an actually really good game imo.

And that's me saying that.

But then I also believe Sega peaked in the era of arcade racers (especially their super-scaler titles), so what do I know?
I'd argue their peak was probably the NAOMI/Dreamcast era. Even though that's the generation that killed their console business (though arguably the way they handled the Saturn was the wounding blow that just never healed) their creativity and ambition were on full display. I think the DC was their N64 moment where they figured out how to make 3D work for everything (Ecco especially is a good example of how it wasn't just Sonic adding a dimension) and where they had all-new ideas that were breaking ground (Shenmue ffs, even Seaman deserves a shout-out). But sadly they were a generation late to taking that step and the PS brand had become such a cultural juggernaut that they just faded into the background even though the games they were making were really great.

Their arcade racers obviously were really good though. Those and the superscaler games really were a big part of their personality back in the day.

If it's an EVO announcement, I kind of feel like the ideal place would be the main one just to reach out to a bigger audience... but with the two being a few months apart, maybe having the reveal at EVO JP and doing more info in July would be a pretty okay way to announce sooner and maintain momentum with more info shortly afterward and all that marketing jargon I pretend to understand. Especially if they do anything crazy, like bring Kiryu in, since that would probably be a better thing to announce after the initial revival.

Either way, would be hype as hell to just finally see VF come back in the otherwise uncontested 3D fighter space, and also

Honestly, with how much the Japanese community has kept VF alive all by itself (especially through VF3), I can't say I blame Sega for letting EVO JP be the possible host of the initial announcement. A new VF should do the most to get them excited, first, and then let the good word spread through various outlets.

Besides, like you said, "part two" of that information roll out would just occur in July.

Back
Top Bottom