• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Searching for the new cool Nintendo hardware feature

A lot of people think the Switch 2 will have a defining hardware characteristic that significantly affects interaction with the game, like touch screen, motion controls, the tablet controller with the WiiU, 3D, and the hybrid Switch.

However, none of these were that fully original of ideas outside of gaming and were technology that was gaining popularity or had a bunch of prototypes being made that would be demoed at tech trade shows.

I just can't find a current emerging (hardware focused) tech that could possibly apply to gaming. VR is so expensive and not popular right now and so is AR. Eye-tracking I guess could be something? ... I can't think of anything else.

tumblr_m9ih30vaUk1rvjt2vo4_250.gif

I hope they bring back a second screen for handheld mode. When docked the gamepad would be the second screen. I doubt that would happen but it would be neat. As for tech that is currently out there that Nintendo could potentially employ in the next system... I dunno maybe foldable displays. It's pretty early tech and very expensive on the phones that currently use it so probably not but I am with you OP, can't really see what other tech could be implemented. Luckily the people at Nintendo are far more creative than I and they will likely come up with something nobody is even thinking about right now. Or they could just make a more powerful Switch but I also don't think that is likely.

Switch 2 will probably get back to 2 screens or they will incorporate some kind of force feedback like ps5 triggers.

I just can’t see Nintendo trying something drastically different, mainly when they have a lot to accomplish with their online system.

I’m conviced that’s not time to innovate but consolidate. They been innovating for so long that’s time follow the trends a little bit.

Maybe they can try some really specific games with peripherals, like Ring Fit, but not something that every single game is supposed to use.

Honestly, a camera or two on the back for AR is kinda all I’d like. Maybe an Apple Pencil-like stylus?
I was actually thinking about that the other day and totally forgot. I would love for an Apple Pencil type thing or even compatibility with current stylus’

I think we might be get Bluetooth/wireless streaming from handheld like the Wii U. Mostly because its a pretty incidental feature for modern hardware like laptops/tablets. Its not a big deal anymore, even for "screen extending" or having 2 screens at once. It might be good for some wii U ports/ds/3ds ports/remakes. But since it would be in "hand-held" mode while streaming, that would impact performance. I don't expect something like that would even get a particularly large marketing push. Bringing back the "gimmick" from an old console (that largely failed financially), doesn't seem like a big splash.

Maybe HD rumble+ more tactile like PS5. But then its just following Sony's iteration to an extent. Again, not a big splash.

AR maybe?, underrated 3ds feature and Nintendo has shown interest. Some neat new experiences could be possible with cheapish tech. Again not the biggest splash, but it is something with potential. Eye tracking could also be neat in handheld for camera tracking or something (Metroid anyone?). But then... its not like gyro doesn't already help with that.

I hope they bring back a second screen for handheld mode. When docked the gamepad would be the second screen. I doubt that would happen but it would be neat. As for tech that is currently out there that Nintendo could potentially employ in the next system... I dunno maybe foldable displays. It's pretty early tech and very expensive on the phones that currently use it so probably not but I am with you OP, can't really see what other tech could be implemented. Luckily the people at Nintendo are far more creative than I and they will likely come up with something nobody is even thinking about right now. Or they could just make a more powerful Switch but I also don't think that is likely.

That means porting 3rd parties would be an even taller task with second screen implementation

Something something Scrollderbuttons

On a more serious note, I honestly don't know what I want them to do or even what they could do. Of course, there's always VR (or another shot at AR), they could just iterate on stuff like HD-Rumble and make it even better? As for a foldable display, it doesn't seem like the technology is already at a stage suitable for the mass market (especially younger audience).

I kinda want them to do something weird but I also kinda don't want them to go too gimmicky.

I'm fully in the scroll wheel shoulder buttons train ever since I saw the patent

I just made a post recently about some attributes the new hardware could have (specifically some things I'd like it to have), which even included some old features that would provide options -- things such as better approximation of pointing, the return of cameras, and such -- but I think I might leave that buried where it is?

I don't think I would have described any of it as necessarily new, per se, but I guess a lot of Nintendo's new features are things that have actually been around in some form for a while,.

Anyhow,
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
[/I]

Last edited:
I still think glasses free 3D, if done right, is amazing. 3DS felt like a good first step and I hope Nintendo didn't abandon this concept fully. I also like AR but I think it would be a gimmick not utilized by many games. In general, I hope for some new input ideas.
I also want Miiverse to come back on the software side with a smartphone app. A more sophisticated version of the NSO app that loves on both mobile and the console.
But the most important "gimmick" will still be the hybrid concept.

I guess if you are focusing specifically on emerging tech, I'd like a foldable screen. If they can somehow against all odds do it on the cheap. Bring back my beautiful clamshell design so that I can fit that shit in my pocket without a case or screen protector. Don't care about anything else. AR, HD rumble and infrared sensors were a waste in their last couple of handhelds

I say the still unused patent about perspective correction for projected images Nintendo has points to some sort of built in projector.

Your guess is as good as mine. I've daydreamed about a foldable screen. They could do some interesting gameplay things with it, and it would make it easier to port a bunch of DS-era games.

My guess is that the gimmick will be folding screens/flexible displays. It's the only unique new thing they could really try with portable hardware, and I feel like Nintendo's first-party developers could find some creative gameplay uses for it.

The only way I think they could create something truly revolutionary is if they tried their hand at a full-scale VR/AR headset. I think Nintendo has the right IP and developers to finally create killer apps for VR. I don't think they're in the mood to try it yet though, as they would have to ditch the home/handheld hybrid form factor.

VR is not going to happen until they can sell it to kids. I could be 100% wrong on this but I don't know how to fact check on this: can you not market to kids in the US if your device needs a headstrap? I think that alone kills VR for the time being, seeing as both the Virtual Boy and Labo VR don't have official headstraps.

If they can't market to kids as easily, then VR probably wouldn't work out for them.

Foldable/2 screens would hinder games running in the dock.

I wish no gimmick, just a more powerful and better ergonomics Switch.

I would love for them to support 4 mobile phones as a different screen like the Wii U. That would be great for multiplayer sessions. A AR headset extension would be great too just for interface purposes.

How would a foldable screen hinder TV play? It would just fold out into one big screen, not display two separate feeds like the DS
Well, that would be ok. I was thinking on it folding down and the device ending up with practically 2 screens, kinda like NDS.

Playstation controllers? Eww...

Give me GameCube-style analog shoulder buttons with the clicks at the end anytime. It's actually one of the things I liked about the Steam Controller. While we're at it, bring back octagonal gates.

Not sure about the scroll wheel. Depends on the execution.

Dial up modem and speakers that enable you to listen in on nearby phone conversations scaring you to death

Your guess is as good as mine. I've daydreamed about a foldable screen. They could do some interesting gameplay things with it, and it would make it easier to port a bunch of DS-era games.

That's what I'm betting on too...

Samsung have actually been working on a prototype handheld system that does exactly what you're suggesting...

You could even do a front & back screen setup, giving each player a private display!

The physical games come in cardboard cases to be environmentally friendly, but also to fold up into LABO-style peripherals specific to the game.
I love LABO but I think some of the criticism it got was legitimate. In particular, storing all those accessories after building them and using them only a handful of times.

Which is why I propose the following evolution for
Switch 2: LEGO integration!
Kits created by Nintendo and Lego, just like today's Mario sets, except these are a bit closer to Lego Technic sets and allow you to build custom controllers and other cool contraptions. They're completely optional, and you can always take them apart and use the pieces to build something else - including your own original designs which you can share through a LEGO/LABO-like smartphone app.

What you end up with is the best of both worlds:
  • A Mario Maker community for creating and sharing physical designs - open to both Switch owners and Lego fans in general.
  • Integration with a Game-Developer Garage like interface on the Switch itself, to program your inventions and share the software with other Switch users.
  • Joy-Con covers\attachments that have the Lego "texture", making them an actual part of your builds - these would come either with the sets or with some of the games you buy from Nintendo.
  • Meaningful Smartphone integration: use your phone to follow building instructions while you program and play on your Switch.
  • A new form of dual screen gaming, reminiscent of the Wii U, but without having to purchase an expensive peripheral.
  • $$$$ for Nintendo and Lego, with plenty of opportunities for cross promotion, including special support for Lego games on Switch, and more.
  • A killer-app for Switch 2, especially among the younger audience, or parents who grew up with Nintendo and Lego.
  • Camera integration (either in the console or using the phone's cameras) that add AR to the interaction: perhaps you can "scan" Lego builds, or "project" virtual builds into the real world.
  • That last point screams "Minecraft" support!
  • At this point you've won the console wars, and I haven't even mentioned the new LEGO Pokemon games!

Back
Top Bottom