• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News ScummVM is now on iPhone / iPad App Store

Gingerbread Man

Paratroopa
I have no idea how they got a pass from Apple, but ScummVM can now be downloaded on any iPhone and iPad (and Mac, but that was already possible from their website).

For those not in the know, ScummVM lets you play a massive library of classic Adventure games, including more or less everything by LucasArts, Sierra, Adventure Soft, etc., and even new games developed with Adventure Game Studio.

there was an iOS version as far back as 2007, though it required jailbreaking your device to access it.
having it on the app store greatly simplifies the work needed to get it running, though it doesn't include any games pre-installed (the beta builds provided through Testflight had various demos and full games the team was legally allowed to distribute for free bundled in.)

also worth noting that the release coincided with a major update that added support for, among other notable titles. the highly influential Gadget – Invention, Travel, & Adventure.
4438250-gadget-invention-travel-adventure-windows-front-cover.jpg

not only was it's tie-in novel written by future Half-Life writer Marc Laidlaw. the game was notably praised by acclaimed film director Guillermo del Toro.
I loved games like Asteroids and Galaga. When the CD-ROM games arrived for Mac and PC, I found some masterpieces. There was a Japanese game called Gadget that was very influential on movies like Dark City and The Matrix. There was also a very scary one called Cosmology of Kyoto: every time you died you had to go through a different hell. And you could reincarnate as a dog!

Back
Top Bottom