• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News SaGa Emerald Beyond announced for PC, consoles and mobile, coming April 25th (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

And not just one demo, either. But three!

It's certainly a choice to give Steam, Switch and PS their own individual demos for different characters, but it's a nice touch!

Soul Calibur 2 vibes are STRONG!

So Steam gets the robot singer, Playstation gets the shonen protagonist and Switch gets the mahou shoujo teacher. Interesting choice, maybe after you beat the demo you unlocked the other 😅

Not gonna lie, I'm scared about this. It looks nice but I have bounced of ALL saga games (minus the gb games) because of it's weird systems

So Steam gets the robot singer, Playstation gets the shonen protagonist and Switch gets the mahou shoujo teacher. Interesting choice, maybe after you beat the demo you unlocked the other 😅
Is this actually confirmed/stated anywhere like a tweet or press release or are people just assuming it based on the logos on the short video?

Is this actually confirmed/stated anywhere like a tweet or press release or are people just assuming it based on the logos on the short video?
The Gamer has an article about it in addition to a screenshot of each protagonist with the platform logo

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202404030066/

The trial version has different protagonists depending on the platform, and you can play with a maximum of three protagonists: `Tsunori Mido,'' Ameya,'' and `Diva Number 5.''

Welp, my fears came true after trying this so not getting it. Knights in the nightmare was more understandable and that one didn't even had tutorials.

Welp, my fears came true after trying this so not getting it. Knights in the nightmare was more understandable and that one didn't even had tutorials.

oh gosh, I remember the trauma that game (I bought the limited edition with gorgeous artbook for) caused me!!! hahaha

I tried the demo on switch so I got Ameya Aisling, the witch. I believe it was the Localization director that mentioned recently of the difficulties of a demo for a game like this and now I get it. I did not like this demo at all, it felt overly complicated with its terms and strategies. Visually its nice, solid performance (its a turn-based game), the music was a choice, not bad but a bit odd lol.

I played 2 SaGa games before Emerald, Scarlet and Romancing Saga 3, fun games. So yeah not the best first impression. The full game might be great, but that demo might turn people off.

I tried the demo on switch so I got Ameya Aisling, the witch. I believe it was the Localization director that mentioned recently of the difficulties of a demo for a game like this and now I get it. I did not like this demo at all, it felt overly complicated with its terms and strategies. Visually its nice, solid performance (its a turn-based game), the music was a choice, not bad but a bit odd lol.

I played 2 SaGa games before Emerald, Scarlet and Romancing Saga 3, fun games. So yeah not the best first impression. The full game might be great, but that demo might turn people off.

I do wonder what the balancing between the different demos is like

unless they did a bunch of tweaking to account for it I wouldn't be surprised if the different protagonists for different platforms thing means some fairly radical differences in difficulty between the different platforms demos

The same for me, trying to get that battle system (which I don't think that changes between protags so I'm pretty sure its the same for the other platforms) was just frustating, but more importantly way time consuming. Like the 2nd or 3rd battle took more than 5 minutes and just go longer from there.

Also the randomness of some actions, and the narrator going "sometimes your allies MAY counter-attack" and I'm like "Oh cool". 6 battles later none of my allies had counterattacked anyone, but the enemy constantly counterattacks, so I kept wondering if was a mistake in the localization and it just applies to enemies

The same for me, trying to get that battle system (which I don't think that changes between protags so I'm pretty sure its the same for the other platforms) was just frustating, but more importantly way time consuming. Like the 2nd or 3rd battle took more than 5 minutes and just go longer from there.

Also the randomness of some actions, and the narrator going "sometimes your allies MAY counter-attack" and I'm like "Oh cool". 6 battles later none of my allies had counterattacked anyone, but the enemy constantly counterattacks, so I kept wondering if was a mistake in the localization and it just applies to enemies
Totally lol. I don't mind tutorials as the thing happens, but it the rng seems odd. I was destroyed on my second battle, also the hp being the gauge is not a bad idea but the color they used is not the best.

Did the Ameya demo, and was quickly reminded of much these games kick my ass when I first start them, although I was doing better by the end. Still a lot of fun! Will probably continue with Ameya's story as my first character in the full game, largely because of how much she reminds me of Alkaiser, but we'll see.

seems in line with Eiyuden: I expected the latter to be higher instead it seems both are more-than-decent options for JRPG fans this April

Haven't been around much for a while (because life suuuuuucks) but wanted to drop by to say happy release day. 💚 I've had a little time to get started after playing the Ameya demo earlier in the month and am continuing with her. I got the conclusion to the ice world where you fight the Emperor and have now moved onto the world of the Dismal King hoping to see some of my fruity vampire man Suignas.

Loving the battle system and presentation, which I know isn't for everyone but I find really cosy and unique. I do miss the old united attack system from SSG but I think the changes are fun and mean it's a new game rather than just more of the same.

reviews are out

About what I expected! I know I can always count on RPG Site to get it (and that it is a big ask for 10s across the board). SaGa team, you have done it again: constantly raising the bar for sickos and doing it opaquely. 🙌

Hope everyone is enjoying it, and I hope anyone on the fence can be swayed one day by the kinds of discounts SaGa usually gets!

Campaigns (can be) very short, by the way. I just finished Ameya's after visiting one further world after the end of the demo - didn't recruit anyone else until finishing that world, at which point I was stuck on rails going through the story sequences for the ending so didn't have a use for them. Also didn't really hit upon any majorly challenging bosses, or even anything that might suggest it was a final boss (my last fight was the four wardens of Yomi). I'm guessing multiple playthroughs will unlock further stuff and 'true endings', or I just made choices that led to the quickest ending, because the ending introduced a bunch of new characters and started talking about the Calamity. There wasn't an option to make a clear save, but trying to start a New Game prompted me to either carry over recommended progress (basically everything except battle rank I think) or customise it.

Onto Suignas I think - though I am sad to leave Shinobu Kato behind.

Edit: sounds like Ameya's ending may trigger early if you collect too many cats. Which is funny because I barely made use of her intelligence stat! I just liked seeing the descriptions and silly illustrations. Now I can't decide whether I want to change characters or go straight back into the same story...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom