• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler RTTP: (FFX+) Pleasantly surprised to find myself cautiously looking forward to a potential Final Fantasy X-3

Spoiler Warning for the following:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy X-2.5 ~Eien no Daishō~
Final Fantasy X-2 Last Mission
Final Fantasy X -Will-

I recently played, read and listened to all the official FFX related works from start to finish. I was positively surprised by the novel and audio drama that I thought I would share some of my thoughts here. I know people approach and experience stories differently, so I want to say upfront that I'm just sharing my own experience and thoughts rather than trying to debate on what the correct opinion is on any particular work. I'll also apologize in advance for the long meandering unsolicited journal-like post from a complete stranger.

I love Final Fantasy X. It may sound like an exaggeration, but I honestly think its characters, story, world and lore are masterfully woven together. Adding to its cohesive potency, Spira's distinctive aesthetic and heartfelt characters draw me in every time I play the game or listen to its beautiful soundtrack. FFX itself is so clearly written yet is full of so much mystery. I'll probably play through FFX every ten or so years until I die.

Until recently, I had never actually cleared FFX-2. When it first released, I had the same reaction as many I think. From the nonlinear progression to the playful mood, it was hard for me to get into. This time I tried to approach it with an open mind, ready to enjoy its unique perspective on Spira and Yuna's life during FFX's aftermath. It was a bit frustrating at times, but I 100%ed the game and got the true ending.

Unfortunately, my opinion of the game didn't change very much. Though, the boss battles in Via Infinito were fun and there were a few quiet moments that struck a chord with me. It wasn't until I played FFX-2 Last Mission that I understood better what Square Enix was going for. But, more on that later. First, a bit of a tangent.

From as far back as I can remember until six or so years ago, I was a very religious person. In many ways, I was a true believer. Though, I think there was always a part of me buried somewhere deep in my subconscious that saw the world differently. After a turn of events that I still don't quite understand, my beliefs changed almost instantly and life became a much more lonely and fleeting thing. But it also became something much more beautiful.

I didn't put together the pieces until just now, but I actually think this is one of the core themes of FFX. "Isn't It Beautiful?"

After clearing FFX-2, I was left unsatisfied with the lack of depth given to the changes the characters were going through and with the lack of depth given to Yuna and Tidus' relationship and to why and how Tidus was able to return from the murky deep. (Thinking about it, perhaps this is part of the origin of his name.) It puzzles me why the story of Lenne and Shuyin was added, when there was already so many things to explore and only a limited time to explore them.

Now, onto FFX-2 Last Mission. I had fun with the gameplay Square Enix went for in this title. It was particularly fun at the beginning, where everything was dangerous. I also enjoyed some of, but not all, the interspersed cutscenes. It was in Last Mission that I realized what a good addition Paine is to the FFX world. At the same time, I think I began to understand the charm many find in FFX-2.

When the FFX/X-2 remaster was first released, I had vaguely heard some things about the novel "Final Fantasy X-2.5 ~Eien no Daishō~" (lit. "Price of Eternity") and the audio drama "Final Fantasy X -Will-". Pretty much everything I heard was in a negative tone and was altogether almost scathing. At the time, I thought I would just treat FFX as a standalone title and forget about everything else. But, I was really impressed with the character writing in Final Fantasy VII Remake and found myself becoming curious about the stuff related to FFX that I was avoiding. My Japanese language skills had also improved to the point where I could read the book myself. So, I bought the book and told myself I'd read it the next time I played FFX and FFX-2.

Fast forward to the past week, some time after clearing Last Mission. I was kind of expecting to hate the novel. The beginning of the book is disorienting, with a pointed tone similar to many of the cutscenes in Last Mission. For a while, it was hard for me to get grounded in the story. It has a sense of realism which is common for a novel, but not for a Final Fantasy game. Similarly, but maybe also paradoxically, the book becomes more and more surreal as the story progresses. A large portion of the story takes place on an ancient summoned Besaid Island (similar to Tidus' Zanarkand). So, not only is the mood surreal, the setting itself is as well. If I had to make some comparisons related to the book's atmosphere, the first books that come to mind are some of Haruki Murakami's books and Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series. There was also a part in the novel that took my mind briefly to that moment in Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon when the hair in your skin stands and you realize the meaning behind the book's title.

It's a strange book with a dark mood permeating almost every scene. In its most surreal moments, it can be almost absurd. Because of the surreal atmosphere and setting I think it's unfair to take scenes out of context, as they often are on the internet. Once I got into the mood of the story, I started enjoying it. Honestly, I'm glad I read the book. I particularly enjoyed the parts where Yuna and Tidus were exploring the ancient ruins that hundreds of years later became Besaid Temple. There is still so much mystery surrounding Spira, the Fayth, summoning, Yuna's hopes and aspirations and the nature of Tidus' existence. The novel left me wanting to learn more and be in Spira longer.

The audio drama felt a lot less surreal than the novel, but with a similar touch of realism. In my personal opinion, I'm not sure the audio drama really makes a lot of sense without having read the novel first. Tidus' weakness/injury that is mentioned is at least partially rooted in what happens in the novel, I think. It also seems like Yuna knows something about Tidus' condition, but she hasn't told anyone and it isn't made clear to the reader. I think this is why Yuna lies to Tidus about their relationship (and about finding someone else). Knowing the Yuna in FFX and in the novel, it seems like she's sacrificing herself in a way for Tidus and for Spira.

Speaking of which, I think the reason why Sin can return is also loosely alluded to in the novel. The novel, to put it bluntly, unveils that summoning didn't start with Yevon and it didn't end with Yevon. There's a truth that was obscured over hundreds of years. My own interpretation is that summoning is connected to the ebb and flow of where Tidus comes from. The ocean. I wonder if it is no coincidence that the scene of Yuna's sending dance had her dancing atop the water. It's even featured in the game's logo. That said, Sin coming back does kind of feel like "It's another Death Star!", but I like to believe that the pilgrimage of the first game was a step toward the deeper truth of Spira rather than just a futile endeavor.

I feel that the novel and audio drama are the beginning of an attempt spearheaded by Kazushige Nojima to earn a happy ending for Tidus and Yuna. It seems like some other fans and I weren't alone in thinking the ending of FFX-2 wasn't "earned" in a way. To me, earning that kind of ending doesn't seem easy―maybe it's too hard―but I'd honestly like Kitase, Nomura, Toriyama, Nojima and Co. to earnestly give it a try. For me, nothing added to the Spira universe has reached FFX's quality. But, maybe Square Enix has it in them to match that quality again with FFX-3 as a sort of capstone for Spira.

In the end, after Final Fantasy X-3 is potentially released, perhaps it would have been best to stop at the first game. But, since Square Enix started down this road I think they ought to see it to its conclusion. And, if they can somehow earn that true, happy ending, then it may be one of the best games they've ever released.

Typing that all out though... I do feel a sense of unease. Maybe it's that unease I'm hoping to put to rest with an FFX-3.

Back
Top Bottom