• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

So, uh, I've never played Chrono Cross but adored Chrono Trigger. Should I check out Radical Dreamers? I'm not completely sure what awaits me. But I'm kinda curious for 10 bucks,
Do you mean Radical Dreamers as in Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition, or are you asking if you should check out the small, text-based adventure game Radical Dreamers that comes with it? 😅

I mean, my answer either way is yes but each have their own caveats.

Do you mean Radical Dreamers as in Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition, or are you asking if you should check out the small, text-based adventure game Radical Dreamers that comes with it? 😅

I mean, my answer either way is yes but each have their own caveats.
The former 😅
Although kinda both, I suppose?

The former 😅
Although kinda both, I suppose?
So as far as Cross, I'd second what @soundchaser said above. It's weird but it's gorgeous and takes a lot of the ideas of CT (six elements, dual techs, multiple, different versions of the same world) and blows them out into more complex versions of themselves. The story is almost its own thing, as it was basically a more fully-realized version of Radical Dreamers dialed up to 11. While there are connections to Trigger present, the story doesn't really rely on them too much, so it ends up being almost a standalone experience. It's sorta convoluted and messy in the way 90s RPGs loved to be, so YMMV on that depending on your experiences/opinions with the genre.

And Radical Dreamers is itself a neat novelty. I found it a bit tough to wrap my head around because I'm not used to text-based games, but being a huge Chrono fan it was rewarding to see that piece of the series' history.

I will say though, RD does spoil some of CC's twists, so if you wanna experience those in the bigger game then I'd say lead with CC and then try RD for giggles once you're done.

Also, ffs the music. ❤️

So, uh, I've never played Chrono Cross but adored Chrono Trigger. Should I check out Radical Dreamers? I'm not completely sure what awaits me. But I'm kinda curious for 10 bucks,

In Chrono Trigger, you're bouncing around time. In Chrono Cross, you'll go back and forth between two mirror worlds.
Chrono Cross is two or three times the length of Chrono Trigger, and it establishes itself as very much its own thing before really even thinking about presenting a Chrono Trigger sequel.
The writing, characters, settings and music are pretty much on par with Chrono Trigger.
When it does start tying into Chrono Trigger, think of it as awesome bonus points!
It's definitely a steal at ten bucks!

Weird and sorta convoluted sounds charming enough. I'll give it a try! :D
Awesommmmme

also don't be afraid to consult a guide or ask for help. The game can be a bit obtuse sometimes in terms of where you need to go. Hope you enjoy it!!

There are demos now for DQ monsters and Silent Hope. Glad SQE learned from treasures and put the demo before launching the Game

So we’ve got-
October- Silent Hope
October- Front Mission 2
November- Star Ocean 2
November Super Mario RPG
December- Dragon Quest Monsters
March- Unicorn Overlord
April- Eiyuden Chronicle

Seems like a pretty reasonable rpg/SRPG slate to me

nice to see Emerald Beyond finally get announced and turn out to be what I was hoping it would be(a new saga game that looks like it builds on scarlet grace)

Yes! Justo saw the announcement. And is a long weekend here in México, gonna try allí of them( I think the Silent Hope one is the dame from Pax)
They're currently downloading on my Switch as I type; along with F-Zero 99 and Baten Kaitos.

Just started another Replay of Shining of the Holy Ark. i Really wish that Sega and Nintendo would get together and do a remake of that and Shining in the Darkness as those are some of the best Console Dungeon Crawlers especially as Ark strongly has that Golden Sun Aesthetic sort of before that even released i feel like.

So we’ve got-
October- Silent Hope
October- Front Mission 2
November- Star Ocean 2
November Super Mario RPG
March- Unicorn Overlord
April- Eiyuden Chronicle

Unicorn Overlord was definitely my favorite of the RPGs in the Direct today. Just really hyped to get a new Vanillaware game. Eiyuden Chronicle though is probably more up my alley being a traditional RPG. I’ll be picking up Saga probably, but that will go straight into the backlog more than likely.

Unicorn Overlord was definitely my favorite of the RPGs in the Direct today. Just really hyped to get a new Vanillaware game. Eiyuden Chronicle though is probably more up my alley being a traditional RPG. I’ll be picking up Saga probably, but that will go straight into the backlog more than likely.
Yeah Unicorn Overlord excites me because Vanillaware (and food) but the gameplay didn't look very much up my alley from what I saw. Definitely more hyped for Eiyuden Chronicle at this point.

Mostly I want Muramasa to come to Switch finally dammit

Yeah Unicorn Overlord excites me because Vanillaware (and food) but the gameplay didn't look very much up my alley from what I saw. Definitely more hyped for Eiyuden Chronicle at this point.

Mostly I want Muramasa to come to Switch finally dammit
Yeah I want all of the Vanillware games on Switch. Odin Sphere is my absolute favorite PS2 game, Muramasa and Dragon’s Crown would be great fun to have, and I really want to play Princess Crown one day!

So we’ve got-
October- Silent Hope
October- Front Mission 2
November- Star Ocean 2
November Super Mario RPG
March- Unicorn Overlord
April- Eiyuden Chronicle

Also add in Persona 5 Tactica in November, too (busy month!).

And if you put in Playstation, you've got February - Persona 3: Reload, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and FF7 Rebirth.

That's a packed stretch!

So we’ve got-
October- Silent Hope
October- Front Mission 2
November- Star Ocean 2
November Super Mario RPG
March- Unicorn Overlord
April- Eiyuden Chronicle

Kinda bummed that Namco didn't announce any RPG's for the future after teasing some. Digimon devs (most likely working with media.vision) teased more announcements this year and a survey asked players what tales remaster they wanted. Devs also hinted more on the way.

Media.vision also teased that they had FIVE ongoing projects. One of them is no doubt Digimon and one of the remaining could be Summon Knight 7

Still we have much going on in 2024, including a whole slew of Marvelous stuff, unlocalized Falcom games, Shiren 6 and hopefully Yokai Watch 5.

I forgot to comment on the Mario RPGs!

Mario RPG - new combat mechanics look odd, but it should spice up the game a bit which is nice since I just replayed it last year. I am very excited for all of the new Super Bosses! That’s a very cool feature and I especially dig we get new dialogue (however basic) with characters I’ve cared about for 27ish years.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - I can’t say how, but I knew this game existed without any other details. I was very excited to see the new graphics and I didn’t expect it here at all given Mario RPG hasn’t released so that was a very welcome surprise! If I didn’t just replay the game last year, I’d be much more excited as it’s my favorite Paper Mario game, but so it goes haha. I do wish they had teased if there was going to be any new content (as old game, but more pretty doesn’t do too much for me in general), but maybe given it’s a more extensive remake hopefully that’s in the cards.

The Arise dlc annoucement was funny cause I finished the game yesterday. And I think the game was ok.

Highlights: Combat was great, slow at the beginning but once you have your party it expands. VAs did a great job. Nice opening and a solid 2/3 of the game.
Cons: Enemies kinda spongy, game economy (money and sp) sucked. It seemed like an excuse to force you to do sidequests. I did not enjoy the last 1/3 of the game (when the opening changes). It felt uneven and stumbled back to previous tropes but without the build up older games had.

Others thoughts are seem a bit more subjective: The cast was uneven: Alphen and Shionne fantastic, Kisara and Rinwell good, Law and Dohalim pretty boring. Their introduction and backstories of all the characters are good but after their "arc" some of them are pretty boring. Skits were mixed.

I've played Symphonia (gamecube), abyss (3ds), Vesperia (switch) and zesteria/berseria (pc). And the game this reminds me the most of is Abyss, down to the story direction and cast, heck even the ending moment is similar.

Overall it was a game I had fun with, nice cast, great performances and a flashy battle system. Will I get the dlc, idk, November is gettting packed.

I forgot to comment on the Mario RPGs!

Mario RPG - new combat mechanics look odd, but it should spice up the game a bit which is nice since I just replayed it last year. I am very excited for all of the new Super Bosses! That’s a very cool feature and I especially dig we get new dialogue (however basic) with characters I’ve cared about for 27ish years.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - I can’t say how, but I knew this game existed without any other details. I was very excited to see the new graphics and I didn’t expect it here at all given Mario RPG hasn’t released so that was a very welcome surprise! If I didn’t just replay the game last year, I’d be much more excited as it’s my favorite Paper Mario game, but so it goes haha. I do wish they had teased if there was going to be any new content (as old game, but more pretty doesn’t do too much for me in general), but maybe given it’s a more extensive remake hopefully that’s in the cards.
I wonder how much they're rebalancing Mario RPG, since adding in new super moves and hitting all enemies with some attacks would make the game incredibly easy as it is. And postgame bosses is interesting, does that mean we get to explore the world after beating the game?

Yeah I want all of the Vanillware games on Switch. Odin Sphere is my absolute favorite PS2 game, Muramasa and Dragon’s Crown would be great fun to have, and I really want to play Princess Crown one day!
Hell yeah! I enjoyed playing Odin Sphere so much I made a diagram on how to translate the controls to the PSP because I wanted to carry that game everywhere with me. It was very exciting to see a Vanillaware game revealed during the Direct, to me this more then covers the sting of P3R skipping the Switch.

I wonder how much they're rebalancing Mario RPG, since adding in new super moves and hitting all enemies with some attacks would make the game incredibly easy as it is. And postgame bosses is interesting, does that mean we get to explore the world after beating the game?
Yeah that’s what I’m wondering now is how it works exactly. Like I’m not expecting NPCs to all get new dialogue, but that would make the Remake incredible for me. I’m most expecting something like you beat the game, you get a star or whatever on your save file, and it’ll kick you back before Smithy but all of those bosses are now hanging out in the world.

Yeah that’s what I’m wondering now is how it works exactly. Like I’m not expecting NPCs to all get new dialogue, but that would make the Remake incredible for me. I’m most expecting something like you beat the game, you get a star or whatever on your save file, and it’ll kick you back before Smithy but all of those bosses are now hanging out in the world.
That's definitely more likely, but a full-on postgame would be pretty amazing.

Oh god, I'm just imagining... post-game version of Culex? And maybe they'll add in a new secret boss or two, too

Hell yeah! I enjoyed playing Odin Sphere so much I made a diagram on how to translate the controls to the PSP because I wanted to carry that game everywhere with me. It was very exciting to see a Vanillaware game revealed during the Direct, to me this more then covers the sting of P3R skipping the Switch.
Yeah! I also really adore Odin Sphere to a similar extent where I just could not stop thinking about it when I beat it. I especially loved envisioning so many ideas for one more one adventure with all of the characters :)

I still need to get going on P3P. I kinda got suck into finishing my final FEWTH route instead.
Tho now I’m tempted to give saga scarlet Grace a go over frontiers due to that new game announcement XD

That's definitely more likely, but a full-on postgame would be pretty amazing.

Oh god, I'm just imagining... post-game version of Culex? And maybe they'll add in a new secret boss or two, too
There’s so many cool things I would love to see with Mario RPG if they decide to expand on it. I just mentioned in my last post above with Odin Sphere to Seven, but I’ve always wanted more adventures within Mario RPG too. A new area of some sort culminating in more bosses would be so cool. I’ve heard people suggest Sephiroth as an optional boss which I guess I’d prefer more things like Culex, but yeah bring on whatever they got!

I think SMRPG is going to be a “wait and see”for me (ie Black Friday 2024 fodder). Not because I don’t want it or think it’s going to be bad, but the new additions didn’t really strike me as making it essential. And when I still have like 99% of TotK to play, certain sacrifices must be made.

So many RPGs, I feel almost sad, no way my wallet/time can take them all on. And ATLUS has the AUDACITY to finally put Etrian Odyssey III on sale today after I have been waiting so long...I ain't got time for that.

My guaranteed plays are for Winter 2023 to Early 2024

Persona 5 Tactica
Unicorn Overlord
LAD: Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 Reloaded

Games that I want to play but are going to be on wishlists as I just don't see how I will have the time

Front Mission 2
Star Ocean 2
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Eiyuden Chronicles

If I had a Playstation or if Square released FF7 day one on PC I would have alot of problems because Rebirth looks good but I would want to start with Intergrade so that would be two RPGs I would have to fit in. If it comes to other platforms will definitely keep an eye out but latter 2024 looks packed already as I am fully expecting a Fire Emblem and/or Xenoblade title in 2024.

PSA for PlayStation 5 users: If you per-order FF7 REBIRTH through the Twin Pack edition (before Feb 29th) you get FF7 Remake INTERGRADE for free. Yes, you heard that right.

Crazy good deal honestly. I was waiting for a(n actually) good discount on Part 1 and I feel like I can't skip it now. Thought about making this its own thread, but given that we're on Fami I'll probably reach most people who care though this thread.

Im in a weird kind of demo choice paralysis where I pulled down the demos of star ocean, dragon quest monsters and silent hope, but only have time to try one for an hour today before I’m really busy for the next week

Im in a weird kind of demo choice paralysis where I pulled down the demos of star ocean, dragon quest monsters and silent hope, but only have time to try one for an hour today before I’m really busy for the next week
I’m most curious what you think of Dragon Quest Monsters personally if that helps you decide :)

So… is there still a slim chance of something SMT showing up at TGS, or are we looking at probably waiting until February Direct timeframe, since that’ll be after both P5T and P3R are out?

So… is there still a slim chance of something SMT showing up at TGS, or are we looking at probably waiting until February Direct timeframe, since that’ll be after both P5T and P3R are out?
I’m not expecting anything. Looks like TGS is going to be mostly Persona and Unicorn focused for Atlus. Also the EO/SMT team just shipped earlier this year, I wouldn’t expect anything new from them until next year.

Just throw the dice, it was what I did

So yesterday and today silent hope, saturday DQ monsters (though I already played 1 hour today just because DQ) and sunday Star Ocean

I’m not expecting anything. Looks like TGS is going to be mostly Persona and Unicorn focused for Atlus. Also the EO/SMT team just shipped earlier this year, I wouldn’t expect anything new from them until next year.
That’s what I figured. Even if not a new game I’ve just really been itching for that SMT4 port that’s been rumored. But I’m happy to wait, just feels weird that there were multiple different SMT rumors and nothing has come of them yet.

KT still has mystery slot for their TGS. Surprising when neither Rise of the Ronin/new Atelier showed up at the Direct/SoP, meaning it's likely neither of those. Wonder what it could be...

Talking about Atelier: any no-shows from yesterday's presentations that you want to see soon? (Let's not even mention DQ3, that's obvious) Any out there picks?

Currently in Chapter 10 of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I felt like taking a bit of a break from JRPGs after having played Tales of Arise earlier this year, but now I'm back and enjoying myself again.

Demo thoughts:

Star Ocean: Stunning visually, and game was solid enough given it's the opening hours of a JRPG, but it didn't really hook me overall

DQM: Basically the opposite, where the game is pretty eh visually and performance wise, but easily grabbed me. Feels like an easier SMT but with the DQ charm layered on top. Areas are a bit simple maybe but there's the potential for improvement given these are just the opening areas of the game. Demo is pretty meaty too, got about 4 1/2 hours out of it, and since there's no time limit you could probably go a bit longer if you're trying to get all the available monsters. However, it's not a full save data transfer demo from my understanding (only transfers monsters and from what it said, it seems you just get basic level 1 versions of said monsters) so you're not getting too much from the investment

Silent Hope: Solid game, doesn't seem like it'll my thing

FFF VII Rebirth hype pushed me into finally trying to mod the PC version of the original and...

HOLY

CRAP

it's absolutely stunning. I'll never be able to go back to the unmodded version. I'm in shock, why did i wait so long???

Demo thoughts:

Star Ocean: Stunning visually, and game was solid enough given it's the opening hours of a JRPG, but it didn't really hook me overall

DQM: Basically the opposite, where the game is pretty eh visually and performance wise, but easily grabbed me. Feels like an easier SMT but with the DQ charm layered on top. Areas are a bit simple maybe but there's the potential for improvement given these are just the opening areas of the game. Demo is pretty meaty too, got about 4 1/2 hours out of it, and since there's no time limit you could probably go a bit longer if you're trying to get all the available monsters. However, it's not a full save data transfer demo from my understanding (only transfers monsters and from what it said, it seems you just get basic level 1 versions of said monsters) so you're not getting too much from the investment

Silent Hope: Solid game, doesn't seem like it'll my thing
I don't have much time to play games this weekend, so I also just tried those 3 demos, but only about half an hour each.

Star Ocean: I feel the same. I can see the potential, but the few minutes I played of it made it seem like it's all cookie cutter stuff. For people who played the original or got a lot further in the demo: Does the combat ever get to be innovative compared to other jRPGs? And does the story ever go beyond the hero of light trope and presents something that's actually thoughtful?

DQM: Yeah, in the first minutes i was like "this looks even worse than Pokémon, ugh…" But then I got into the fields and it became pretty apparent that it has the potential to become real addicting! Sure, it's a Pokémon clone, but the part I played was really fun! My only gripe is that it was too easy. In your playtime, did it ever present difficult encounters?

Silent Hope: It was fun, but it's the type of game that easily becomes repetitive and doesn't seem like it'll have any meaningful story bits. Can anyone confirm?

I don't have much time to play games this weekend, so I also just tried those 3 demos, but only about half an hour each.

Star Ocean: I feel the same. I can see the potential, but the few minutes I played of it made it seem like it's all cookie cutter stuff. For people who played the original or got a lot further in the demo: Does the combat ever get to be innovative compared to other jRPGs? And does the story ever go beyond the hero of light trope and presents something that's actually thoughtful?

DQM: Yeah, in the first minutes i was like "this looks even worse than Pokémon, ugh…" But then I got into the fields and it became pretty apparent that it has the potential to become real addicting! Sure, it's a Pokémon clone, but the part I played was really fun! My only gripe is that it was too easy. In your playtime, did it ever present difficult encounters?

Silent Hope: It was fun, but it's the type of game that easily becomes repetitive and doesn't seem like it'll have any meaningful story bits. Can anyone confirm?
I'll be honest I had DQM on auto battle most of the time since the whole order system is a tad annoying for me and the main combat encounters of the demo are all auto battle encounters anyways (the tournament battles). Without a real boss fight in the demo it's honestly hard to guage the difficulty imo. The first area is definitely super easy though

That said, I do think the game gets a fair amount harder after the first area. The second and third tournament battles in the demo hit decently hard (lost the second set once even and had to restructure my team). I had to turn the auto battle settings for my monsters to "show no mercy" even in regular encounters and keep a dedicated healer around. The fact that you restore health and MP on level up reduces the tension a bit but without that I feel like the game would actually start getting fairly hard starting in the second area.

I'll be honest I had DQM on auto battle most of the time since the whole order system is a tad annoying for me and the main combat encounters of the demo are all auto battle encounters anyways (the tournament battles). Without a real boss fight in the demo it's honestly hard to guage the difficulty imo. The first area is definitely super easy though

That said, I do think the game gets a fair amount harder after the first area. The second and third tournament battles in the demo hit decently hard (lost the second set once even and had to restructure my team). I had to turn the auto battle settings for my monsters to "show no mercy" even in regular encounters and keep a dedicated healer around. The fact that you restore health and MP on level up reduces the tension a bit but without that I feel like the game would actually start getting fairly hard starting in the second area.
That's good to know! Thanks for your feedback! As such, then yeah, it's the best of the 3 and definitely on my to buy list. Hopefully the full game lives up to my expectations and presents a good challenge and biome diversity.

Why the fuck did I wait so long to play LaD, smh.

Back
Top Bottom