• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Official Tweet Rockstar website update hints at Red Dead Redemption remaster (Confirmed for Switch: Digital Aug 17, Physical Oct 13)

Brofield

Magical Famicomrade
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him/His

Tez2 (@TezFunz2)
Rockstar's new site update, live an hour ago, added a new reference within the games list.

"Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Presents Ver)"

Codename:
- RDR1RSP (RDR1 Remaster SP?)

New logo below
#reddeadredemption

F2DUGcCboAIv6xY.jpg

We've had hints and rumours about this before, yeah? More smoke for the fire, with luck we might also get a Switch announcement too whenever it happens

Lock, stock and barrel if old

I would assume this is the 360 version emulated? The code is apparently ultra dogshit and can't be easily ported to anything. Rockstar and Take-Two have shown no interest in putting serious effort to their remasters so I have to assume it's an emulation that runs the 360 version.

Not sure how this will work on PS5 if it's the emulated 360 version...

I would assume this is the 360 version emulated? The code is apparently ultra dogshit and can't be easily ported to anything. Rockstar and Take-Two have shown no interest in putting serious effort to their remasters so I have to assume it's an emulation that runs the 360 version.

Not sure how this will work on PS5 if it's the emulated 360 version...
Emulation of that generation of consoles has been getting better and games are playable, but that's on PC.

I don't think they are going to suddenly revive the Xbox BC program.
If this is a rerelease it's gonna be a port and if there's emulation then only partially.

Really bonehead deduction in the tweet:

"Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Presents Ver)"

Codename:
- RDR1RSP (RDR1 Remaster SP?)

It literally says the RSP is for Rockstar Presents

Obligatory:

Will Switch get both RDR games or just the first one and second one is for the successor?

Plus, don't forget, Take Two has 2 re-releases to be released before March 2024. Most likely Borderlands 3 for Switch. And then there's Lego 2K Goaaal!...

Emulation of that generation of consoles has been getting better and games are playable, but that's on PC.

I don't think they are going to suddenly revive the Xbox BC program.
If this is a rerelease it's gonna be a port and if there's emulation then only partially.

Microsoft has a much better emulator than is available to the public.

The issue is that I don't think they would let Rockstar use a 360 emulator for the PS5... Or if it would even work that well on PS5 as it's surely not optimized for PS5, lol.

Completely unrelated: A friend of mine also pointed out the first Red Dead FAN convention is happening this weekend in Tombstone, AZ

Free general admission, and a chance to win one of eight custom RDR themed PS5s

A friend of mine also pointed out the first Red Dead convention is happening this weekend in Tombstone, AZ

Tombstone Redemption is not affiliated, associated, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Rockstar Games
Hmmm, I don't think this means anything....

Completely unrelated: A friend of mine also pointed out the first Red Dead FAN convention is happening this weekend in Tombstone, AZ

Oh...

How far am I from Tombstone these days...

Please, oh, please, be on Switch.
I’d be in day one on Switch for a RDR remaster especially if it comes with Undead Nightmare
The recent Korean rating that brought this rumor back to the limelight stated that this release features zombies, so Undead Nightmare is pretty much guaranteed. Now there's only the matter of confirming a Switch version...

I don't think I want to revisit the game, but I'm happy for the fans that have been waiting.
This is where I'm at, I think. As much as people complain about the controls of RDR2, its gameplay is still overall better than the first one

As for the story, well. RDR2 was a huge step-up in that regard. The first one is full of the unlikable characters and teenage cynical edge that the GTA games have. It's also a little too segmented for my taste. IMO it's only really fondly remembered because of the ending

I reckon this will indeed come to Switch, which is a shame as I've played the fuck out of RDR, but not RDR2 or GTAV.

I don't know why but I could never beat this game. I always felt like it lost a lot of momentum as it went on. By the time you get to Mexico it really is a drag.

It's funny because I really liked Red Dead Redemption 2 and even with some pacing problems finished that fairly quickly. I do respect Red Dead Redemption a lot though, probably one of the only AAA franchises not from a Japanese dev that I still respect, so I hope this remaster is true so I can try it again.

The code of the game was so messy they couldn't even port it to PC.
I think the remaster should be in the way of TLOU Part I or MPR, as in a 1:1 remake, for it to work.
But... We have examples like Xenoblade Chronicles for the New 3DS where the development had to remake the code while maintaining the assets. So maybe they find a solution like that?

Its 100% a 1:1 remake/remaster with (a few) redone assets/effects

But I don’t think it will be a very huge mega effort like TLOUP1 or MP1.

Like GTA Trilogy they would want to mantain the artsyle/feeling of the game.

What's the current state of GTA Trilogy on Switch btw?
Playable, this review of the most recent update (Oct 2022) shows that it's leagues better than launch, however some people on a GTA forum have determined that Grove Street Games name has been removed from the project. This probably means that A) the project has been taken over internally, but B) R* is only taking care of maintenance patches here and there, so this is probably as good as it will ever get. So...if it's not up to what you expect, might as well hold out for a drastic sale like I have been.

Whether a remaster, or full on remake, DO NOT fuck with the best moment in the game.

I remember really enjoying this back in the day, I would probably pick it up if it comes to Switch.

RDR on the go would be really cool but I think I more so hope it’s next gen only so that it looks REALLY good.

Guess it depends on how “remastered” we’re taking.

It's crazy, I hated RDR back in the day. Couldn't stand it, but forced myself through it.

As a result I avoided RDR 2 for years. Finally got to it earlier this year and man, what a surprise. Total masterpiece. From visuals to the writing and especially the performances. It was everything people said the first one was.

Hard to explain it, other than the fact that I really don't like John Marston or the cast of wacky characters you have to help out in RDR 1.

All of which is a long way of saying I'll skip this remaster, lol. Get RDR 2 on Switch 2 and we're talking.

I would assume this is the 360 version emulated? The code is apparently ultra dogshit and can't be easily ported to anything.
I wouldn't assume that. GTAV, RDR2, and Red Dead Online are apparently all descended from the same engine, and this is apparently a "remaster." Considering the game's map was rebuilt for RDR2, I would assume something like a TLOUP1 situation, where the original game is rebuilt in the sequel's engine using the sequel's assets.

The GTA Trilogy "Remasters" were a mess, but engine-wise that came down to using mobile remakes as the basis for the remaster, a situation which doesn't exist here. And I think it would be prohibitively expensive to rebuilt the game in something like Unreal.

Tombstone is three hours from me.

That is very tempting.

I wouldn't assume that. GTAV, RDR2, and Red Dead Online are apparently all descended from the same engine, and this is apparently a "remaster." Considering the game's map was rebuilt for RDR2, I would assume something like a TLOUP1 situation, where the original game is rebuilt in the sequel's engine using the sequel's assets.

The GTA Trilogy "Remasters" were a mess, but engine-wise that came down to using mobile remakes as the basis for the remaster, a situation which doesn't exist here. And I think it would be prohibitively expensive to rebuilt the game in something like Unreal.

Yeah, I would go with there being almost no chance of this being a serious effort, Rockstar doesn't care at all about their backlog.

I’m interested to see how this pans out after all the talk of the original game code being a bit of a mess. Wonder what has changed?

RDR was the first open-world game that truly captured me. Prior to RDR, all open-world games just felt aimless and left me wanting direction. I lost countless hours in my college career exploring the desert.

I will likely pick this up when it goes on sale and I am looking forward to recapturing the feeling it instilled in me.

Back
Top Bottom