• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Reuters: Embracer is considering options for Gearbox Entertainment including a sale. Also: Rainbow Studios (MX vs ATV) impacted by layoffs.

Dardan Sandiego

Dill Spowser's Nephew
Pronouns
he/him

LONDON, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Embracer is considering options for its U.S. game developer Gearbox Entertainment including a sale as Europe's largest gaming company looks to shore up its finances, three people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The maker of Tomb Raider video games, whose shares are traded in Stockholm, is working with Goldman Sachs and Aream & Co to explore a sale, the people said.

Embracer is weighing selling the unit, which is known for first-person shooter game Borderlands, after receiving interest from third parties, two of the people said.

In June Embracer's announced a restructuring to reduce its net debt to less than SEK 10 billion ($903 million) by the end of its financial year from SEK 16.7 billion at the end of June. The plans, which include studio closures, cancelled projects and layoffs, follows what CEO Lars Wingefors described as a "challenging year" for the company.

Embracer, majority owned by founder Wingefors, purchased Gearbox in February 2021 in a deal that valued the business at up to $1.4 billion at the time.

Gearbox marketing materials are already available for potential buyers, which consist mainly of international gaming groups, said two of the people.

The sources, who requested anonymity as the matter is confidential, cautioned a deal may not happen.

Gearbox, which sits under Embracer's PC console games segment, published its latest title Remnant 2 last month, which topped U.S. charts for July.

Embracer, which has a catalog of over 900 owned franchises, announced a review of its business to navigate challenging economic conditions last November, which could result in spin-offs of units.

In May, Embracer said it had reached a verbal commitment with an undisclosed party the previous October that would have resulted in more than $2 billion "in contracted development revenue" over six years. However, at the final hour it said it "received a negative outcome from the counterparty", causing its shares to drop by more than 40%.

Saw this on Era

also:

Embracer up to 2022: "BUY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING!!!"

Embracer 2023: "HOLY SHIT SELL EVERTHING AND LAY EVERYONE OFF!!!"

And of course, it's the employees having to feel the actions fuelled by shitty business leadership.

Awful news for the studios and devs affected by this. Really hope they can land on their feet.

Wow, embracer must have severely underestimated the cost and risk that goes into game development. They bought all these studios and now can’t afford to fund them to actually make games. What an Ill advised mess this has been

It’s wild to think about how many people and teams they will potentially fuck over if they can’t right the ship. The Volition shutdown and these layoffs are just the beginning.

They need to sell the whole thing, not just Geabox, before making any more stupid decisions. They have proved to be incompetent leaders. It's pretty cheap right now, Tencent or Netease could be potential buyers.

Also sad to see Rainbow studios in such position. They have created great racers for Sony in PS2's early days.

They need to sell the whole thing, not just Geabox, before making any more stupid decisions. They have proved to be incompetent leaders. It's pretty cheap right now, Tencent or Netease could be potential buyers.
They have a wide variety of companies that they own now. I don't think it's going to be as simple as Tencent or Netease sweeping up the whole thing. They're not going to be interested in stuff like Asmodee or Dark Horse.

I know it is easy to take shots at Microsoft foe their recent acquisitions, but Embracer is the real bad guys in this timeline.
Well, at least MS is on mostly stable footing. Embracer has the smell of something corrupt starting to come from it, like accounting or investor fraud. I know there was a lot "free money" floating around for years but I feel like you don't go on a buying spree and then have a major cash crunch like this without something funky going on in the financials. Lawsuits are going to come at some point.

I know it is easy to take shots at Microsoft foe their recent acquisitions, but Embracer is the real bad guys in this timeline.
The only saving grace here is that Microsoft has invested so much into XBOX/gaming over the past few years that it would make little sense to abandon everything again like they did during the late 360 era. But this is from July and Xbox was also one of the affected divisions (not that they're somehow more important or anything):

Is there a collected list of Embracer's job losses/sold studios/cut funding?

At this point I'm almost ready to start drafting a thread to keep track of it all, this is going to go on for so long

Is there a collected list of Embracer's job losses/sold studios/cut funding?

At this point I'm almost ready to start drafting a thread to keep track of it all, this is going to go on for so long
I assume the wikipedia article will be slowly updated in the coming weeks/months as they announce more layoffs and sales. So far it's
  • Closure of Volition and Campfire Cabal
  • Layoffs at Gearbox and Rainbow Games with a potential sale of the former

The only saving grace here is that Microsoft has invested so much into XBOX/gaming over the past few years that it would make little sense to abandon everything again like they did during the late 360 era. But this is from July and Xbox was also one of the affected divisions (not that they're somehow more important or anything):

Right. To be clear, I don't think Microsoft is the good guys or anything. I just believe that Embracer is more harmful to the industry right now than MS is.

Swedish video-game conglomerate Embracer Group AB is looking to sell Gearbox Entertainment just two-and-a-half years after purchasing the studio for $1.3 billion. Gearbox will also explore other options including spinning it off, the company said in an email to staff Monday morning.

“The base case is that Gearbox remains a part of Embracer,” wrote Gearbox Chief Communications Officer Dan Hewitt in an email to staff seen by Bloomberg. “However, there are many options under consideration, including Gearbox’s transfer, taking Gearbox independent, and others. Ultimately, we’ll move ahead with whichever path is best for both Gearbox and Embracer.”

Embracer has always been a horrible company both from the perspective of "mass acquisitions can be bad" but also from a competency standpoint. Hopefully they dissolve as quickly as possible for the acquired companies to land on their feet.

This entire ordeal is giving THQ, just replace uDraw with the Saudis. Given how this company has operated so far I fully expect them to crash and burn in the near future. I'm just curious who will pick at their bones when it happens.

Good lord what a freaking shit show this continues to be. I feel so bad for all the devs that have to suffer the consequences of the terrible shortsightedness of the upper management when they thought it was a good idea to literally just buy everyone and everything.

there was no way embracer's insane expansion wasn't going to result in this.
I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm willing to bet that 95% of the reactions on Fami and elsewhere to Embracer's acquisitions over the last few years will have aged like fine wine. Everyone saw this train wreck coming.

IMG-0521.png

Wow, embracer must have severely underestimated the cost and risk that goes into game development. They bought all these studios and now can’t afford to fund them to actually make games. What an Ill advised mess this has been
It's not that they underestimated the cost. As I understand it, they spent all that time building this large collection of studios and IPs just to sell. And then their potential buyer apparently balked and left them holding the bag.

It's not that they underestimated the cost. As I understand it, they spent all that time building this large collection of studios and IPs just to sell. And then their potential buyer apparently balked and left them holding the bag.
No, wouldn't say it is like this. I don't think Lars Wingefors, the founder, planned to sell everything directly. He does not seems to be that kind of person. What I expect here is more a kind of pyramid scheme. Financing the next big thing with previous purchases and the value they brought, cashing in from stupid business angels and Hedgefonds. This works always until it stop working, but usually the people on top are so blinded by the previous success, that they can't see it failing. This happened several times and it usually does not end well for the initiator. Some examples Bernie Maddoff or Robert Maxwell.
Also Embracer Group started with Nordic Games, this group basically raised of the ashes of the Austrian publisher JoWood, which basically did the same in a smaller German scale. THQ Nordic, integral part of the Embracer Group is currently led by former JoWood CFO Klemens Kreuzer.

JoWoods fall was bad for the anyway crippled German games development scene, a fall of the Embracer Group would likely hurt whole Europe, especially considering there is no European publisher who would be able to rescue much.

As always... Fuck Embracer.

Hate that so many people have lost/will lose their jobs while the higher-ups responsible will be just fine in the end.

Back
Top Bottom