• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 Replay announced for Nintendo Switch

mazi

picross pundit
Bandai Namco has announced GameCenter CX: Arino no Chousenjou 1 + 2 Replay (Retro Game Challenge 1 +2 Replay) for Switch. A release date was not announced, but it is currently only announced for Japan.

Retro Game Challenge 1 + 2 Replay includes remastered versions of the DS games GameCenter CX: Arino no Chousenjou (released as Retro Game Challenge in the west) and sequel GameCenter CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (only released in Japan) in celebration of the GameCenter CX TV program’s 20th anniversary. Each game consists of a variety of retro-style minigames.

The remastered collection will include one new retro-style minigame—a side-scrolling action game reminiscent of the late 1980s. Further details about this minigame and other new elements will be announced at a later date.

Yeah, this one isn't coming, considering the ammount of editing they have to do to localize the first one, can't see them doing something similar for the second

oh my god PLEASE put this out in english PLEASE

Yeah, this one isn't coming, considering the ammount of editing they have to do to localize the first one, can't see them doing something similar for the second

tbh I think that 2023 is a much different time than the mid-00’s when Retro Game Challenge came out, and I don’t think they’d need to over-localize it this time around. Just translate the game’s text, assume the player knows what Game Center CX is, and put it out.

I mixed it up with NES Remix 1 and 2 and got really hyped, but yeah, I don't think this is getting localized.

This is genuinely a game I’d get a petition going to get localized. More folks REALLY oughta play Retro Game Challenge.

Arino himself quote-retweeted some goofball with a blue penguin avatar asking for an English version…

I'm so glad that this one is being ported. Even if you know nothing about GameCenter CX, Retro Game Challenge is a really fun time - take my word for it! I did never finish that first game, but I absolutely would finish a Switch port. Please localize this and the sequel! Please!!

Throwing my hat behind the “localize this, plz” crowd.

I had every opportunity out to buy Retro Game Challenge. Last year, I wanted to finally get it until I saw prices on eBay and decided, “I mean, I don’t need it that much…”

I'm so glad that this one is being ported. Even if you know nothing about GameCenter CX, Retro Game Challenge is a really fun time - take my word for it! I did never finish that first game, but I absolutely would finish a Switch port. Please localize this and the sequel! Please!!
I think I still need to finish Guadia Quest and the 3rd ninja game.

Super great game and apparently the sequel has even more games

Oooooo. The DS games were legit fun. I'll happily buy this again!

Localization please!

This game was bananas. I was just thinking the other day how I needed a DS just to revisit games like this. Save me the trouble, please!

The remaster looks SO good ;__; The little cartridge sprites jiggle when you move them! And they have lighting!

I played the fan translation of 2 when it first dropped, and definitely prefer the lineup there. Wiz-man, Detective Kacho, and Guadia Quest Saga are all good fun. And now we could have them all on the same cart as Haggleman 3 and...a River City-style beat 'em up!?

Bandai Namco!! You know what you must do!!

This is genuinely a game I’d get a petition going to get localized. More folks REALLY oughta play Retro Game Challenge.
You might wanna direct your petition to XSEED. For some reason, the games they originally localized don't get localized as remasters on Switch. Falcom games like Cold Steel 1-2 and some of the EDF titles. Retro Game Challenge also was done by XSEED.

Please release this worldwide. Heck it's a good idealized introduction of the retro games era with manuals & magazines to read.
I think compared to the DS era, people are way more familiar with retro games and it's easier to buy.

Love me some GCCX, it's really my comfort food in stuff I watch. I feel I kind of need this on my Switch. But this will probably never get to the west 😞

i definitely feel like if this gets localized, there's going to be another renaissance of officially translated episodes of the series. the original game notably had an ad for it on the back of the manual, which eventually happened two years later when Kotaku picked up the series for a bit.
image.png

"unstoppable force from game lover's kingdom!"
Discotek then put out a DVD release containing two extra episodes, but it's long since gone out of print. and a streaming release (Retrocrush had the previously released episodes on their site for a bit, but it's since been removed) is non-existent.
it's not the full experience (only the game challenge segments were included, which is traditionally how the home video releases are in Japan) but having new officially localized episodes would still be a big deal.

I like GCCX. But stuff about it megabombs when brought over here so i see this as an impossible localization sadly. Doubly for the show which megabombed on dvd.

I have this on DS, i believe on the 1st one made it out here right?
Would sign petitions to get this localized. With a digital release and overpriced FOMO limited physical releases, a business case could be made for this. I hope it happens.

We need the English localized physical version for this game. This game is sooo good. We can easily ignore the 3DS one as that one sadly is not a good game at all.

I loved playing it on the DS so much, this might be the one and only game I'll purchase on the Japanese eshop if they don't localize it!
But seriously, we need an english version of this!!

The DS game is great. Even with the slimmest chance this gets localized I would pick it up day one if it did.

officially launching February 22, 2024. the bonus DVD includes various Bandai Namco challenges from the show's past + extras.
the unaired “Arino’s Challenge” segment Kinnikuman: Kinnikusei Oui Soudatsusen, first DVD recordings of the Arino’s Challenge segments Oishinbo Kyuukyoku no Menu Sanbonshoubu and Pac-Land, and footage from development of the original 2 DS games

it's also worth bringing up the game's title screen/main menu, which is a nearly 1;1 recreation of the show's challenge room.
F6oRIMPbsAA-6FD.jpg:orig

the arcade machine has been rebadged to be Haggleman themed (the original model was from Konami if i remember correctly) but everything else is identical.

I would do terrible things to get this localized, even though I’ve got the original games too

please, xSeed/Bamco/Gascoin/FujiTV/whomever else

Back
Top Bottom